Danny Ainge Doesn’t Believe Celtics Players Are Tuning Out Brad Stevens: ‘That Is Ridiculous’

+7
sinus007
BingBang!
RosalieTCeltics
atcross
NYCelt
Ktron
bobheckler
11 posters

Go down

Danny Ainge Doesn’t Believe Celtics Players Are Tuning Out Brad Stevens: ‘That Is Ridiculous’ Empty Danny Ainge Doesn’t Believe Celtics Players Are Tuning Out Brad Stevens: ‘That Is Ridiculous’

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 pm

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/02/18/danny-ainge-celtics-players-not-tuning-out-brad-stevens-nba-trade-deadline-depth/

Danny Ainge Doesn’t Believe Celtics Players Are Tuning Out Brad Stevens: ‘That Is Ridiculous’

By CBSBoston.com Staff

February 18, 2021 at 10:57 am

BOSTON (CBS) — The Celtics are slumping, sitting at .500 on the season with a trio of losses to bad teams over the last week. They’ve lost five of their last seven, and just haven’t looked like a very good team for most of the season.

After Sunday’s lifeless loss to the dreadful Washington Wizards, The Boston Globe’s Gary Washburn said that Boston looks like a team that is tuning out its coach. Celtics president of basketball ops. Danny Ainge admits that the team has plenty of issues, but is adamant that Stevens is not one of them, and he doesn’t believe that players are tuning out Stevens based on what he sees every day.

“Absolutely not. That is ridiculous,” Ainge told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich on Thursday. “I just think that’s the culture of sports and sports reporting. It’s a common theme; it must be this if you don’t show up to play or show up to play with the intensity and motivation it takes to win. I don’t see that at all.

“We had a really good game against Denver and last night [in a loss to the Hawks], I thought we were playing pretty well early. I don’t think it has anything to do with the head coach. I’m around the team every day and I just don’t see that at all,” he added.

Ainge agrees that losses to bad teams like the Pistons, the Wizards and the Hawks are unacceptable, but they didn’t occur because of Stevens. Ainge put the blame on Boston’s players — and shoulders the blame for the team’s depth issues.

“I saw a team with a lot of holes on defense. I saw a lack of intensity and respect for our opponents in Detroit and Washington. I do see issues, but it’s not [a coaching problem],” he said. “My coach is more prepared and humble than anybody, and respects Washington and Detroit more than anyone in the locker room. I wish our players respected them as much. It’s a fear I have where you have some success and you don’t respect the opponent enough. It has nothing to do with coaching and everything to do with players. I think it’s a maturity issue with the team.

“We should not have lost any of those three games if we had played like we’re capable of. But we didn’t and we’re not playing that way, therefore we have issues we need to fix,” Ainge added.

While fans are begging for Ainge to make a trade — and he’s exploring moves every day — he isn’t going to make a deal just to make a deal. He continued to say that around the deadline is the best time to make a trade, and he’s confident that the team could turn things around over the next five weeks.

“I really believe our team is going to come around. It’s not as simple as we need to make a change or add a center or get a point guard,” he said. “I don’t think it’s as much that as  — those would help if our objective is to win playoff games. But we don’t know who we are just yet. We know we’re 14-14 and that we haven’t played well and we haven’t played consistent.”

Ainge didn’t want this to come off as an excuse, but he noted that Boston’s best group — Kemba Walker, Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum and Daniel Theis — have played limited minutes together due to a variety of injuries.

“We just haven’t gotten any sort of consistent flow or groove. We’ve had great moments in games, good wins, and a lot of stinkers. Our consistency has been bad,” he said. “Our roster is obviously not good. We are a 14-14 team, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. That’s who we are.”

The Celtics are not the only team struggling at the moment, with the majority of the NBA playing mediocre ball. Only the Jazz and Lakers are truly dominant at the moment, which has created a bit of a logjam in the playoff picture. And despite their struggles and .500 record, the Celtics are only 4.5 games back of first place in the East.

They’re also just 2.5 games from falling out of the playoff picture, so there is a lot that can shake out between now and April. But Ainge said the goal remains to win a championship — he just needs to get a much better feel of what it will take to turn these Celtics into a contender.

“I hate to put expectations on players. I know in Boston it’s championship or nothing but I don’t view the world that way. My internal goal is to win a championship all the time, but it’s a process. Its not as simple as going to get player A, B, C, or D – we’re a contender. That’s not typically what it takes,” he said. “I do believe some little things can help us be better, but nothing will help us get better than being 100 percent healthy so we can play at our best.

“We’re going to try to get better. We’re trying to win a championship. Maybe our team can do something phenomenal and unbelievable to win one this year. Maybe by getting healthy. And maybe our time is not right now,” he added. “I don’t know the answer to those questions.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  If there are two things I have learned, that I absolutely believe 100%, they are that Danny Ainge is completely full of shit when it comes to anything having to do with players and/or coaches; and that there are things Danny and Brad and his coaches see everyday in practice that we don't.  As a result I don't believe a freaking word that comes out of Danny's mouth about when an injured player will be back, whether this player or that is on the trading block, or anything else about the team.  Remember when he told us KG was going to be out for another couple of weeks and then, suddenly, he's suited up and starting?  He's full of shit or, to be kinder, one helluva poker player.  Sometimes he says things to light a fire under someone, but not that he is looking to trade him, so how can I tell which and when he is?  I also try not presume to understand why Brad plays this player or that one (easier said than done because, as a fan like all of you, I have my opinions and since I'm a living breathing basketball genius my opinions are going straight from my mouth to God's ear).  Sometimes it makes sense, obvious matchups, but sometimes it isn't.  For example, we all watched Carsen Edwards last year and I saw why he wasn't getting minutes.  He looked lost out there, offensively and defensively. Now I see him getting more minutes and I see him playing well.  I may not understand why he's not part of a regular rotation, not that he necessarily should be, but I'm not watching him in practice everyday like Brad does and like Kara Lawson did.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Danny Ainge Doesn’t Believe Celtics Players Are Tuning Out Brad Stevens: ‘That Is Ridiculous’ Empty Re: Danny Ainge Doesn’t Believe Celtics Players Are Tuning Out Brad Stevens: ‘That Is Ridiculous’

Post by Ktron Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:05 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/02/18/danny-ainge-celtics-players-not-tuning-out-brad-stevens-nba-trade-deadline-depth/

By CBSBoston.com Staff

February 18, 2021 at 10:57 am

BOSTON (CBS) — The Celtics are slumping, sitting at .500 on the season with a trio of losses to bad teams over the last week. They’ve lost five of their last seven, and just haven’t looked like a very good team for most of the season.

After Sunday’s lifeless loss to the dreadful Washington Wizards, The Boston Globe’s Gary Washburn said that Boston looks like a team that is tuning out its coach. Celtics president of basketball ops. Danny Ainge admits that the team has plenty of issues, but is adamant that Stevens is not one of them, and he doesn’t believe that players are tuning out Stevens based on what he sees every day.

“Absolutely not. That is ridiculous,” Ainge told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich on Thursday. “I just think that’s the culture of sports and sports reporting. It’s a common theme; it must be this if you don’t show up to play or show up to play with the intensity and motivation it takes to win. I don’t see that at all.

“We had a really good game against Denver and last night [in a loss to the Hawks], I thought we were playing pretty well early. I don’t think it has anything to do with the head coach. I’m around the team every day and I just don’t see that at all,” he added.

Ainge agrees that losses to bad teams like the Pistons, the Wizards and the Hawks are unacceptable, but they didn’t occur because of Stevens. Ainge put the blame on Boston’s players — and shoulders the blame for the team’s depth issues.

“I saw a team with a lot of holes on defense. I saw a lack of intensity and respect for our opponents in Detroit and Washington. I do see issues, but it’s not [a coaching problem],” he said. “My coach is more prepared and humble than anybody, and respects Washington and Detroit more than anyone in the locker room. I wish our players respected them as much. It’s a fear I have where you have some success and you don’t respect the opponent enough. It has nothing to do with coaching and everything to do with players. I think it’s a maturity issue with the team.

“We should not have lost any of those three games if we had played like we’re capable of. But we didn’t and we’re not playing that way, therefore we have issues we need to fix,” Ainge added.

While fans are begging for Ainge to make a trade — and he’s exploring moves every day — he isn’t going to make a deal just to make a deal. He continued to say that around the deadline is the best time to make a trade, and he’s confident that the team could turn things around over the next five weeks.

“I really believe our team is going to come around. It’s not as simple as we need to make a change or add a center or get a point guard,” he said. “I don’t think it’s as much that as  — those would help if our objective is to win playoff games. But we don’t know who we are just yet. We know we’re 14-14 and that we haven’t played well and we haven’t played consistent.”

Ainge didn’t want this to come off as an excuse, but he noted that Boston’s best group — Kemba Walker, Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum and Daniel Theis — have played limited minutes together due to a variety of injuries.

“We just haven’t gotten any sort of consistent flow or groove. We’ve had great moments in games, good wins, and a lot of stinkers. Our consistency has been bad,” he said. “Our roster is obviously not good. We are a 14-14 team, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. That’s who we are.”

The Celtics are not the only team struggling at the moment, with the majority of the NBA playing mediocre ball. Only the Jazz and Lakers are truly dominant at the moment, which has created a bit of a logjam in the playoff picture. And despite their struggles and .500 record, the Celtics are only 4.5 games back of first place in the East.

They’re also just 2.5 games from falling out of the playoff picture, so there is a lot that can shake out between now and April. But Ainge said the goal remains to win a championship — he just needs to get a much better feel of what it will take to turn these Celtics into a contender.

“I hate to put expectations on players. I know in Boston it’s championship or nothing but I don’t view the world that way. My internal goal is to win a championship all the time, but it’s a process. Its not as simple as going to get player A, B, C, or D – we’re a contender. That’s not typically what it takes,” he said. “I do believe some little things can help us be better, but nothing will help us get better than being 100 percent healthy so we can play at our best.

“We’re going to try to get better. We’re trying to win a championship. Maybe our team can do something phenomenal and unbelievable to win one this year. Maybe by getting healthy. And maybe our time is not right now,” he added. “I don’t know the answer to those questions.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  If there are two things I have learned, that I absolutely believe 100%, they are that Danny Ainge is completely full of shit when it comes to anything having to do with players and/or coaches; and that there are things Danny and Brad and his coaches see everyday in practice that we don't.  As a result I don't believe a freaking word that comes out of Danny's mouth about when an injured player will be back, whether this player or that is on the trading block, or anything else about the team.  Remember when he told us KG was going to be out for another couple of weeks and then, suddenly, he's suited up and starting?  He's full of shit or, to be kinder, one helluva poker player.  Sometimes he says things to light a fire under someone, but not that he is looking to trade him, so how can I tell which and when he is?  I also try not presume to understand why Brad plays this player or that one (easier said than done because, as a fan like all of you, I have my opinions and since I'm a living breathing basketball genius my opinions are going straight from my mouth to God's ear).  Sometimes it makes sense, obvious matchups, but sometimes it isn't.  For example, we all watched Carsen Edwards last year and I saw why he wasn't getting minutes.  He looked lost out there, offensively and defensively. Now I see him getting more minutes and I see him playing well.  I may not understand why he's not part of a regular rotation, not that he necessarily should be, but I'm not watching him in practice everyday like Brad does and like Kara Lawson did.

Yup yes and yip! Ainge is so full of what makes the grass grow green (I’m carrying my velvet hammer today).
All that double speak should have him boxing up his office. Everything he is saying points the finger at him, Brad and some of the players. All of who he is responsible for. His admission doesn’t mean he gets to act with impunity.
I’m sure Wyc & co. Ain’t buying this line and if they are they need to sell. Bottom line- Fix this team. Give him this year to do that but fix it. Whatever needs to be done, do it. That is your job. No more excuses because thats exactly what this entire article contains. You think you’re slick Danny. Point the finger at myself and buy some time. I got a finger for ya D.A.! Maybe that’s why you cant get shit done. Chickens have come home to roost? Hope not. Fix it or kick rocks!! (That Klunk you heard was me dropping my velvet hammer)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Danny Ainge Doesn’t Believe Celtics Players Are Tuning Out Brad Stevens: ‘That Is Ridiculous’ Empty Re: Danny Ainge Doesn’t Believe Celtics Players Are Tuning Out Brad Stevens: ‘That Is Ridiculous’

Post by NYCelt Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:23 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Bob

Agreed.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:32 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but last night was a B2B with only two of our five best players available. I hardly see these losses as reason to start firing people or start replacing players. I do think there is a tendency for young stars to get over-confident. And considering the effusive praise the 2Js are getting, I think that's almost bound to happen with them. Plus, as noted, most of the teams in the league are suffering from wild inconsistency. Danny may expect better. That's his job. As a fan I'm prepared to be much more tolerant.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:22 pm

Why would you presume that he would say what he was really thinking? And, my friend, if you are that close to Gods ears, whisper that we want a player that can help right the ship!!! I don’t know, I talk to God all the time, but he just doesn’t listen. So, I put my faith in you, Bob H
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:43 am

atcross wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but last night was a B2B with only two of our five best players available. I hardly see these losses as reason to start firing people or start replacing players. I do think there is a tendency for young stars to get over-confident. And considering the effusive praise the 2Js are getting, I think that's almost bound to happen with them. Plus, as noted, most of the teams in the league are suffering from wild inconsistency. Danny may expect better. That's his job. As a fan I'm prepared to be much more tolerant.
This (above) plus last year the team had four All Star level players and this year it’s two or three depending on availability. As for Ainge I think he’s being straightforward and (rightly or wrongly) blaming the players and exonerating the coach.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:23 am

Bobh,
I completely agree with your comment about Danny. Unfortunately, neither you nor his responses explain what's happening with the team.
I think it's quite clear that Celtics are in a slump. The explanation of B2B games and/or absence of the starters are theoretically OK but if you watched the games you could clearly see that the team was like deflated balloon - no, spark, no drive. I think it's more visible when they play against weak teams.
I also have no idea what's happening. Unfortunately.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:32 am

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
5 hours ago
Max and I will continue our discussion of the NBA's 20-21 "asterisk season" tonight, but as Celtic fans freak about the 14-14 record, this is noteworthy; 17 of the league's 30 teams are within 5 games of .500 Last year at this exact point of the season? There were only 4.

Sean Grande
yesterday
I guess the Bucks have tuned out Mike Budenholzer. Long list this year. Rick Carlisle Eric Spoelstra Nick Nurse Mike Malone Lot of tuning out apparently.

Bob
MY NOTE: A little perspective.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:19 am

bobheckler wrote:Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
5 hours ago
Max and I will continue our discussion of the NBA's 20-21 "asterisk season" tonight, but as Celtic fans freak about the 14-14 record, this is noteworthy; 17 of the league's 30 teams are within 5 games of .500 Last year at this exact point of the season? There were only 4.

Sean Grande
yesterday
I guess the Bucks have tuned out Mike Budenholzer. Long list this year. Rick Carlisle Eric Spoelstra Nick Nurse Mike Malone Lot of tuning out apparently.

Bob
MY NOTE:  A little perspective.

I just invested all my money in "Fire [insert NBA coaches name]!! t-shirts and hats. They're selling like hotcakes. We're set for life!!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:41 am

Read between the lines

"It’s not as simple as we need to make a change or add a center or get a point guard,” he said.

My Note

Funny he mentions adding a center or a PG.  That is because he actually does need to add a quality legit big man and the Kemba Walker situation is looking more and more like a bad acquisition.  Danny never accepts blame for his mistakes.  He has been screwing around with this team for years.  Stevens is the type of coach that is a day late and a dollar short.  As Tatum said he is a X's and O's coach but he is no leader and no one is running through a wall for him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:44 pm

dboss wrote:Read between the lines

"It’s not as simple as we need to make a change or add a center or get a point guard,” he said.

My Note

Funny he mentions adding a center or a PG.  That is because he actually does need to add a quality legit big man and the Kemba Walker situation is looking more and more like a bad acquisition.  Danny never accepts blame for his mistakes.  He has been screwing around with this team for years.  Stevens is the type of coach that is a day late and a dollar short.  As Tatum said he is a X's and O's coach but he is no leader and no one is running through a wall for him.

I Think that There are more or’s or maybe’s or’ maybe’s and or’s and could be and I thought type language in that interview than I think I’ve heard from a GM in quite a long long time. I thought, I mean I think maybe even ever. I’m pretty sure maybe but not certain.

Last edited by Ktron on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:49 pm

Sounds like a man on the hot seat to me!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:58 pm

I very much doubt that. The hot seat is the one he himself feels. He is in no danger here I believe. But, that is my opinion , obviously not the same as alot of people here.

Does he need to right the ship? Let's see what happens when we can finally put our starting five on the floor game after game after game. No every other game, no nights off. If they do not produce, I predict that Marcus Smart will be part of some kind of a big trade and that will not make alot of people happy. Everyone here seems to want Kemba gone, I believe he is here for the duration of his contract.

My opinion, that's all
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:39 pm

gyso wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
5 hours ago

Sean Grande
yesterday

Bob
MY NOTE:  A little perspective.

I just invested all my money in "Fire [insert NBA coaches name]!! t-shirts and hats.  They're selling like hotcakes.  We're set for life!!
just giggled...i’ll invest in that too!!
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:13 pm

Everybody is wringing their hands trying to understand why the Celtics are a 0.500 team. This is surprising since so many here predicted we would be a 0.500 team. The Celtic's two best players are 22 and 24. Kemba definitely had some sort of serious knee issue. That is clear. Fact. He seems to be getting his mojo back, but he is over 30 and coming back from a knee injury, yet relies on insane God-given quickness to get his shot off. He might never be the Kemba of old. In addition to being a top 3 player on the team, Kemba is pretty much the only veteran on the team with a resume that commands respect. His injury has not only affected his play, but has also probably affected his willingness to step up as a veteran leader who can both walk the walk and talk the talk. Smart is awesome with natural leadership qualities, but generally leaders in the NBA also happen to be one of the better players on the team. Losing Kyrie, Al, and then Gordon was bound to create some sort of leadership vacuum, and I would argue the consequences are finally being felt.

Based on a Tatum quote that is taken out of context, people are harping on this idea that while Brad is an excellent X's and O's coach, he is not a guy you "run through walls" for. Maybe. But while the "run through the walls" coach might inspire a team to win the "big game", it is the X's and O's guy that gets you to the big game. Personally, I wonder if Brad's X's and O's ability is over-rated. I really don't understand why he focuses on limited ceiling guys like Grant Williams, especially when we are a middling team. That being said, playing Grant more than Time Lord is not the reason we are 0.500.

Taking everything together, it is not really surprising we are 0.500. I preach patience. Tatum and Brown are phenomenal talents on the court, but are only just beginning to step into leadership roles. Both are good kids, and I suspect both will emerge as effective leaders as the season progresses. Kemba seems to be getting better. We know Brad can coach - just look at the teams he guided to the ECF these last several years. Danny has the TPEs that will allow him to make a big move, and the job security to take his time and make the right move rather than a panic move. Finally, it is the middle of February. Of an exhausting and bizarre year. So, patience. Maybe this isn't the year we hoist banner 18, but this is still a franchise on the rise.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down