cowens/oldschool
6 posters

Go down

POST GAME WASHINGTON - HOME Empty POST GAME WASHINGTON - HOME

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:28 pm

Celtics Wrap: Jayson Tatum’s Heroics Help Boston Survive Vs. Wizards
Boston is back to .500

NESN by Sean T. McGuire

Jayson Tatum was a walking highlight Sunday night and the All-Star wing propelled the Boston Celtics to a second consecutive win with a 111-110 verdict over the Washington Wizards at TD Garden.

The Celtics won the game in large part because of a 13-4 run over the final 2:39 of regulation.

Tatum led a trio of Celtics who scored 20-plus points. He finished with a team-high 31 points on 12-for-22 from the floor, none of which was bigger than his game-winning basket in the final seconds. Tatum added eight rebounds, three assists and three steals. It was far better than the last time Tatum played the Wizards, when he was held to a season-low six points Feb. 14.

Kemba Walker (21 points) and Daniel Theis (20 points) also finished with 20-plus. The Celtics were without All-Star guard Jaylen Brown, too.

Washington was led by Bradley Beal, who would have been the hero of the game if not for Tatum’s final minute. Beal scored a game-high 46 points on 16-for-29 from the field. Russell Westbrook recorded a double-double of his own with 24 points and 11 rebounds.

With the verdict, Boston improves back to .500 at 17-17 while Washington falls to 13-19.

Here’s how it all went down:

STARTING FIVE
PG: Kemba Walker
SG: Javonte Green
SF: Jayson Tatum
PF: Tristan Thompson
C: Daniel Theis

MISSED OPPORTUNITY
The Celtics held the Wizards without a field goal for more than six minutes, helping take a 10-point lead midway through the quarter, but held a mere 33-28 lead after the first.

Washington shot 35 percent from the field after missing their first eight shots, but benefitted from 17 (!!) free throw attempts. The Wizards were 15-for-17 at the charity stripe, a major reason they were able to keep it close after 12 minutes despite going without a field goal and four turnovers in six minutes.

Boston jumped out to a 7-0 lead after seven minutes and showcased their advantage in the paint early on.

Tatum scored 10 first-quarter points for the Celtics while Walker chipped in eight. The Celtics shot 44 percent from the field (11-for-26) while Boston was 8-for-9 from the free throw line.

Beal led all scorers with 11 points.

OH MY, TATUM
The Celtics used a 10-2 scoring stretch early in the quarter to take their biggest lead of the game, 48-37, after a thunderous dunk by Tatum on the head of Washington’s Robin Lopez.

Boston, though, couldn’t keep that double-digit lead as the C’s advantage was cut to 60-55 at the half.

Tatum was impressive in the half, scoring a team-high 16 points. And while his thunderous slam was the highlight of all highlights, his shot-making ability wasn’t far off.

Walker had 14 of his own.

Beal had 24 in the first half for the Wizards. The Celtics limited their fouls as Washington as the visitors went to the line just three times in the quarter.

Boston shot 44 percent from the field in the half while Washington shot 42 percent. The C’s benefitted from 10 offensive rebounds, too.

C’s RUN GETS ANSWERED
Washington used a 12-2 scoring run as Boston went four minutes without a point to climb back into it after the Celtics had put together a strong start to the half. Ultimately, it cut Boston’s lead to just 79-76 heading to the final frame.

The Celtics again took a 11-point lead, 68-57, just over three minutes into the quarter. It came after five straight points by Theis, and included a pair of 3-pointers — one by Theis, one by Walker.

Tatum climbed to 17 points in the game while the Celtics continued to have trouble defending Beal, who scored 32 with 12 minutes remaining.

By the end of the third, both teams had shot an identical 40.6 percent from the field.

WHAT AN ENDING
Washington came out firing and took a six-point lead, 87-81, after Davis Bertans fifth 3-pointer of the game.

Theis, though, kept Boston in it. He scored eight straight points for the C’s during the early part of the quarter, falling in love with the foul-line jumper the Wizards were giving him.

Tatum regained the Celtics lead with a 3-pointer midway through the quarter before Walker earned a steal and transition two.

Beal, however, led the Wizards on a 10-2 run to take a 101-96 lead with four minutes left. It came after Beal finished on both a four-point play and traditional three-point play.

Semi Ojeleye hit a crucial 3-poiinter to keep the Celtics deficit to one possession, 106-103, before Tatum connected on a turn-around jumper to cut Washington’s lead to 106-105 with 1:33 left.

Boston trailed 110-109 with 12 seconds left after Tatum forced a turnover on Beal. Tatum finished on a difficult drive to the rim to put the C’s up 111-110 and Boston got a great defensive possession on the final play of the game.

And then there was Rob Williams, who just continues to defy gravity.

PLAY OF THE GAME
In a night where there was so many Tatum highlights to choose from, this facial is just absurd.

UP NEXT
The Celtics will host the Los Angeles Clippers on Tuesday before concluding the first half of the season against the Raptors on Thursday.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME WASHINGTON - HOME Empty Re: POST GAME WASHINGTON - HOME

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:50 am

Amazing amazing last minute of game from Tatum, he is an incredibly talented young stud. As great as he was at end, he drove me crazy in 3rd with 5-6 bad possessions in a row, bad shot, worse bad shot, turnovers.....a true Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde. I don’t know, maybe he’s got a short attention span or he’s fighting his own energy level, then fights thru and gets that 2nd wind and awareness. There was a potential fast break, I have to see the play again, but there was 2 Celtics ahead of him and Tatum dribbled with his left hand with 2 guys on him all the way to the end of the floor, losing the ball...??? What pro does that? How do you not throw that pass?

Bob H and I and a few others couldn’t believe what a dumb selfish play that was. Bob mentioned his trainer, forget his name, the guys famous, same guy he’s been with for years and he trains Beal too, that he has a lot to go over with him this summer. Are you kidding me? The trainers job is to further develop all his skills, everything and get the body stronger, etc. How can a kid who went to Duke and is in his 4th year in the NBA not instinctively know how to make that pass/play? I’m just befuddled, I think Luka, Jaylen, Kemba, anyone a 7th or 9th grader would have made that pass....Guess I’m venting here.

Well the great news was he drove hard and with great balance, took over the game on 3 drives/attacks in a row in the final minute. So glad he didn’t try for the side step or step back 3, he was incredible, created the turnover by pressing on Beal, forcing him out of bounds, then after hitting the last incredible drive, where was the f..kin +1...??? He then played further great defense with Semi double teaming Beal on the final shot. If he did all this in a clinching Finals game, it would be an amazing Jordan like moment, really!! This kid definitely has the ability/physical make up of a 2 way superstar, can’t wait for him to grow up and clean up his game further.....only 22, will only get stronger and better.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:35 am

For now, Tatum being Tatum. He'll listen to his trainer over the summer just as he listened to Kobe.

Too bad there is no more Kobe because Kobe would be chewing his ass off right now.

Again, for Tatum, this is just the natural progression of a superstar...Wet behind the ears, recognition (internal and external), ball hog/me vision, more losing, recognition (there are others on the court besides me and I can win WITH them) trust with distribution, making others better and/or superstars, struggle to get to the Finals, Finals and last but certainly not least...championship(s).

Did I miss anything? With that, we're not even halfway home.

I'm with dboss and probably everyone on this page now, 2-0 is good. Relief more than anything. Finally won two games in a row! Then you look up and the God awful Knicks are above you in the standings. Let that sink in for a few minutes. I'd perform like Jason did if that's what I saw. That's what a champion does is take the team on his back to victory. LeBron does it with ease. Tatum's not there yet but it's games like this that help build the character necessary to pull this off time and time again.

If you have Westbrook and Beal plus good support, you're going to be a pretty good team. You're never going to win anything but you will still have a pretty good 5th or 6th place max team.

Clippers up next and they have "R-E-V-E-N-G" (curveball quote, folks but think about where I live and it should come easily!) on their minds. I'll save that discussion for the Pre-Game thread.

Again, reserving judgment until the ASG break, but you won't have the opportunity to go 4-0 unless you come through 2-0! Tuesday might be the Game of the Season, though. No pressure, of course.

Cautiously Optimistic,

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 am

The difference between him and Donic is the mistakes, Donic already has cleaned up his game, always makes the right play, incredible passer and vision. Tatum still does so many dumb things throughout the course of a game.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:46 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Amazing amazing last minute of game from Tatum, he is an incredibly talented young stud. As great as he was at end, he drove me crazy in 3rd with 5-6 bad possessions in a row, bad shot, worse bad shot, turnovers.....a true Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde. I don’t know, maybe he’s got a short attention span or he’s fighting his own energy level, then fights thru and gets that 2nd wind and awareness. There was a potential fast break, I have to see the play again, but there was 2 Celtics ahead of him and Tatum dribbled with his left hand with 2 guys on him all the way to the end of the floor, losing the ball...??? What pro does that? How do you not throw that pass?

Bob H and I and a few others couldn’t believe what a dumb selfish play that was. Bob mentioned his trainer, forget his name, the guys famous, same guy he’s been with for years and he trains Beal too, that he has a lot to go over with him this summer. Are you kidding me? The trainers job is to further develop all his skills, everything and get the body stronger, etc. How can a kid who went to Duke and is in his 4th year in the NBA not instinctively know how to make that pass/play? I’m just befuddled, I think Luka, Jaylen, Kemba, anyone a 7th or 9th grader would have made that pass....Guess I’m venting here.

Well the great news was he drove hard and with great balance, took over the game on 3 drives/attacks in a row in the final minute. So glad he didn’t try for the side step or step back 3, he was incredible, created the turnover by pressing on Beal, forcing him out of bounds, then after hitting the last incredible drive, where was the f..kin +1...??? He then played further great defense with Semi double teaming Beal on the final shot. If he did all this in a clinching Finals game, it would be an amazing Jordan like moment, really!! This kid definitely has the ability/physical make up of a 2 way superstar, can’t wait for him to grow up and clean up his game further.....only 22, will only get stronger and better.

Cow,
Yes, it was (JT not passing) complete brain-fart. Even Mike and Scal were saying WTF.
Overall, a win is a win. Unfortunately, I can't put this game as the second data point in the trend (I hope) that started by the previous game. We'll see Tue and Thr.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:52 am

We won.  We are now experiencing a two-game winning streak.  It's been a while, over a month, since we could say that.  Doesn't it feel good?

Mark Murphy @Murf56
yesterday
The Celtics haven't won two straight games since Jan. 24 against Cleveland and Jan. 25 in Chicago. They've gone 7-11 since then.

You can focus on the fact that Washington is not a good team.  They were 13-18 coming into last night's game, good for 12th place in the very weak East.  They embarrassed us recently and that memory is still fresh, and we still needed a buzzer beater to beat them at home.  You can focus on that our 10 point lead that evaporated.  Personally, I'd rather focus on the 4th quarter.  It was a 34-32 quarter, with the Wiz having the 34.  Bradley Beal had 14 points on 5-7, 2-2 from 3, in the 4th.  Russell Westbrook had 9 on 4-7.  There's 23 points of their 34 right there.  As a team they shot 12-for-freaking-20 in the 4th quarter.  At no time was our lead in the 4th greater than 5, and that was early in the 4th, and their largest lead in the 4th was 8 and that was with just 3 minutes left to play in regulation.  The 4th quarter, with no lead larger than 3 possessions, was a battle in a phone booth.  Every possession was important.  And we still won, and we did it without 2 starters (Jaylen and Marcus).  How?

Daniel Theis, for one.  He had 10 4th quarter points, he was 4-4 from the field and 2-2 from the line.  He was 1-4 from the line through 3, ending up 3-6.  50% still sucks, and we know he's a better frito shooter than that, but his 2-2 in the clutch 4th made a big difference.  He misses one of those fritos and it's OT with Beal and Westbrook feeling it.  20 points and 9 rebounds for Theis last night.  He saved our asses with those frito line jumpers.  He hit 2 in a row, Kemba took and missed a 3, and then Theis hit his 3rd jumper.  After Theis hit his 3rd Scott Brooks called a time out.  8 straight points by Theis and Brooks needed to change his game plan.  That's what impactful players do, they force coaches to change what they previously thought was going to work.

Jay King @ByJayKing
yesterday
Theis is answering a question in German right now and I can only imagine he’s saying “we wouldn’t have won that damn game without my flurry of twos early in the fourth.”

Tatum with 11 4th quarter points. I swear, they were all painful (at least to me) but he did score our last 8 points no matter how he did it.  Every team is double-teaming him now.  They're doing that to get the ball out of his hands and because, it is now very obvious, he does not see the double coming quickly and gets rid of the rock before the trap slams shut.  I know, I know, he's only 22 but he's a 2X All-Star and he should know and be better than to fall for stuff coaches throw at you in HS.  Yes I'm venting a bit too, like Cowens, but this is irksome and it always seems to get worse when he's playing Beal.  It's like their schoolyard rivalry all over again, but this isn't a schoolyard and Bradley Beal's mind is much stronger than Tatum's.  Tatum's offseason trainer's name, for the record, is Drew Hanlon and he's perhaps the #1 most sought after trainer in the NBA.  Hanlon agreed to tutor Tatum, starting back when Tatum was still in High School, because he's close childhood friends from St. Louis with Bradley Beal and Hanlon trains Beal too.  Beal made a special request to Hanlon to give Tatum a look, Tatum's mother was constantly lobbying Hanlon to look at her son to no avail, and that's how that relationship began.  Hanlon also trains Joel Embiid.

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
yesterday
Jayson Tatum pre-COVID (10 games): 43.8% from 3 Jayson Tatum post-COVID (20 games): 32.6% from 3

POST GAME WASHINGTON - HOME EvXbJGbXAAoFxTL?format=png&name=small

Tatum should be in 5th place by the end of this season.  Not bad for a 23 year old (his 23rd birthday is this Wednesday).  To be fair, this is TD Garden history ONLY, not the original Gahden.  Then there might be a few more players, like Havlicek and Bird, still ahead of him.

Tristan with 13 rebounds, 6 of them offensive, but 1-9 from the field.  Unlike Tatum he learned as the game went on and stopped trying to force up an offensive rebound in traffic and dribbled the ball out and gave it to Kemba or someone else.  An off night for Thompson's shooting, which helped to make this a nail biter too.  He's shooting 52% from the field on the year, so I don't see this as "his game", but last night's outing increased my pucker factor.

Kemba with a solid 21 points on 7-17.  Not great fg%, 41%, but good enough to not fall off of.  More importantly he had 8 assists and 2 steals.  We all know how much we need someone to step up and run the offense.  8 assists is running the offense.

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 1 hour ago
Kemba Walker in his last eight games: 22.4 PPG, 43.7% FG, 40.8% 3pt, 94% FT, +7.9 net rating (1st on team).

Javonte Green got the start against the Beal/Westbrook back court.  Only 8 points on 4-5, but he made it harder for those two and that's all you can ask for.  Beal is arguably the best scorer in the league this year and Westbrook is a force of nature.  Javonte is probably the only player on the roster that has the speed, athleticism and strength to defend either of those two.  Jaylen would be good too, although I think Jaylen might be a tad slower (but taller, longer and maybe stronger).  Brown wasn't available, Green was next man up and I liked his game.  He deserved to sleep well last night.  A good decision by Danny to guarantee his contract through the rest of this season.

RWill with 18 minutes of mediocrity.  His boxscore is 6 points on 3-5, 6 rebounds, 2 offensive.  That's pretty decent for 18 minutes but I didn't see them as impactful minutes, certainly not like we've seen the past week or two.  He got blocked at the rim by 6'8" Isaac Bonga.  Who?  No, I'm not down on him, I'm still calling for The Time Lord's minutes to go up to the 20-22mpg range (for starters so we can see how well he plays there) but last night was a 'meh' night for him in my opinion.

Gotta give credit to Teague, again.  Not a huge night statistically but he brought energy to the offensive and defensive ends.  After the past 3 weeks I'm just searching for energy players, anybody who isn't sleepwalking.  That's how low my needs have gotten.  Which Celtic players have bounced off of the rock bottom we hit last week and who hasn't?  It would be unfair not to say Jeff Teague isn't one who bounced up.  Now trade him while he still looks good.

Kemba and Tatum are still, both, WAY overdribbling.  We'll see what's what when Marcus comes back and says "give me the ball!".

Final thought from me:  that was a perfectly executed out-of-bounds defense and follow up trap on Beal to save the win.  They didn't let Scott Brooks set a back screen down low to bust Beal or Westbrook out free on top where he had space in front of them.  We defended man-to-man so well Beal had to come to the ball along the sideline where he could be penned in.  

Final thoughts from the team:

Jay King @ByJayKing
yesterday
Kemba Walker agreed with Jeff Teague’s assessment that the Celtics grew closer together during their losing streak: “When times get hard it’s so easy to separate. The hardest thing to do is to come together. That’s what we did. We’ve gotta believe in each other.”

Marc D'Amico @celtics
yesterday
Daniel Theis says of us hanging on in the fourth quarter, “We stayed together as a team. That’s what we need right now.”

Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
yesterday
Celtics injury update from Daniel Theis: "I can't wait until after the all-star break when we have hopefully everybody back. I think Smart is going to be back. I think Romeo is close to being back."

Chris Forsberg @ChrisForsberg_
yesterday
"It was winning time. We told each other, we gotta dig deep, do whatever it takes to figure it out." Jayson Tatum on his late-game heroics, finding energy at the finish line of Sunday's game, and a redemption dunk.

Jay King @ByJayKing
yesterday
Brad Stevens: “I’m really happy with our guys because there were plenty of opportunities to fold and they just stayed with it.”

reply retweet like
Jay King
Jay King @ByJayKing
yesterday
Brad Stevens said it was “great basketball” to trap without fouling on the play where Beal fell and went out of bounds. Thought Semi Ojeleye’s double on the last shot was good hoops too.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267684

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:12 pm

So the Celtics won 2 games straight. Ok better then loosing 2 games. My stance moving forward is to see if Danny makes a major move before the trade deadline. If nothing or just minor deals, see me in September to evaluate any trades made during the summer.

Are they a better then 500 team - yes, are they EC Finals team - no, are they a finals team - no.
This team needs a major adjustment especially at center and power forward. Play Williams III more you get a real rim protector, play him less you get a loss or pull a win out of their ass.
Danny also needs to ask himself several things, do I want a high scoring low distribution point guard, or a point guard that can distribute, and do I want a run and gun team, or a team that sets up in typical offensive sets with iso plays?

Time will tell and it will take time to get Banner #18.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:35 pm

Every win is a good win and every loss is a bad loss.  

There is not a lot of room to split hairs when our team could be below average or above average after Tuesday's game against the Clippers.

The Celtics won this game for the opposite reason why they have folded in the 4th QTR in too many games this season.  They won the close out with timely plays on both ends.

The Good, the bad and the wretched.  Lets go bottom up first.

Wretched

Do you remember the kid that used to steal everyone's lunches.  Even though you knew he had a propensity for eating your lunch you still managed to take your eye off your lunch box.  Last night Bradley Beal torched the Celtics for 46 points while going 16-29.  In the first meting this year he scored 35 points.  Over the past 10 meetings he has average 28.8 PPG.  Over the past 3 he has scored 46, 35 and 44 points, an average of 41.6 PPG.  Under Brad Stevens this team has not figured out a way to take a top opponent out of his game.  

Just Plain Bad

The Celtics turned the ball over 18 times last night.  Tatum and Walker combined for 7 of those turnovers.  They were all brain fart giveaways.  Some coming while the player pounded the damn ball too much.

Good enough to Win

This game was pretty even but Boston did manage to build an 11 point lead with 8 and some change left in the 3rd (68-57) but that lead dwindled to 3 79-76 entering QTR 4.  They caught us and took a 6 point lead 87-81.  That was the decisive moment in this game.  We saw this before and all are tired of reruns.

The good started to shine through triggered by an excellent 2 man game between Kemba and Daniel Theis.  First a lay up for Theis and then 3 straight Screen and role plays with Theis wide open for jumpers around the foul line.  All were precise passers by Kemba and perfect shots by Theis.  That put us back in front 91-89 at the 6:23 mark.  Kemba scored a couple of times, Theis went 2-2 at the line and Semi hit a big time corner 3.  Tatum scored on 2 beautiful and difficult layups and Beal finally threw up his stolen lunches because we trapped him.

Other contributions to this win came from TT early with 13 rebounds, RW 6 points, 6 rebounds 2 assists and a steal and yet another Inspector Gadget vertical oop.  PP had 7 points and 5 rebounds,  Green with 8 along with taking the Beal onslaught  and Teague had 6.  This was a team win and a team effort.  It turned into a close out game and we did in fact close it out.

In the end nothing that happened really alters our status as a team.  Winning a one point game at home against a bad team is nothing much to cheer about.  I am still very much in limbo just waiting for something to happen and still feeling quite jilted by the published preference for this team to wait.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down