Brad Stevens Offers Insight Into Why Robert Williams Isn’t Playing More 'We're just being conservative'

4 posters

Go down

Brad Stevens Offers Insight Into Why Robert Williams Isn’t Playing More 'We're just being conservative' Empty Brad Stevens Offers Insight Into Why Robert Williams Isn’t Playing More 'We're just being conservative'

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:51 am

Brad Stevens Offers Insight Into Why Robert Williams Isn’t Playing More
'We're just being conservative'

NESN by Sean T. McGuire

Robert Williams has been among the most efficient and productive members of the Boston Celtics this season when he is on the floor.

And that has made many Celtics fans wonder why the 23-year-old center is not playing even more minutes than he already is. Williams, after all, is playing an average of 16 minutes per game. That’s exactly one-third of the game, while fellow centers Daniel Theis and Tristan Thompson are both above 23 minutes.

Celtics head coach Brad Stevens explained the reasoning after Sunday’s win over the Houston Rockets. Williams on Sunday compiled a double-double of 16 points and 13 rebounds in just 19 minutes of playing time.

“I just think if we can make it so that he can play more and more and more as the season goes on,” Stevens told reporters after Boston’s 134-107 win. “Again, the intensity of the games and his history, especially last year, we’re just being conservative. But he’s getting a lot better. We see that. And he’s able to play a little bit longer stints than he has in the past, because he plays really hard when he’s out there. So that’s all encouraging.”

Notably, Williams’ performance against the Rockets made him just the 10th player in NBA history to record 16 points and 13 rebounds in less than 20 minutes, according to Celtics reporter Taylor Snow.

He is averaging career highs in points (6.Cool, rebounds (5.Cool and blocks (1.6) this season.

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens Offers Insight Into Why Robert Williams Isn’t Playing More 'We're just being conservative' Empty Re: Brad Stevens Offers Insight Into Why Robert Williams Isn’t Playing More 'We're just being conservative'

Post by 112288 Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:32 am

Cowens

Doo the trainer and Ed Lacerte the physical therapist were forced out a while ago by management.  they now have a horse shxt group running the show!

Both Doo and Lacerte are world class in their respected specialties and are known throughout the league and in other sports venues.

Since Ainge is the head of basketball operations, I assume he played a major role in their exit from the Celtic organization.

Back to top Go down

Brad Stevens Offers Insight Into Why Robert Williams Isn’t Playing More 'We're just being conservative' Empty Re: Brad Stevens Offers Insight Into Why Robert Williams Isn’t Playing More 'We're just being conservative'

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:58 am

112288 wrote:Cowens

Doo the trainer and Ed Lacerte the physical therapist were forced out a while ago by management.  they now have a horse shxt group running the show!

Both Doo and Lacerte are world class in their respected specialties and are known throughout the league and in other sports venues.

Since Ainge is the head of basketball operations, I assume he played a major role in their exit from the Celtic organization.

I’ve always wondered about that? You have a potential stud and in 3 years can’t get him healthy and he’s 23? Why wasn’t his leg condition treated earlier and is still effecting him and the team on so many levels? I really don’t enjoy seeing Jaylen so fatigued recently, I understand the league put a lot of stress on teams with so many games, but so many other teams are still adapting better than us....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:33 pm

Brad just needs to increase his playing time.  I am watching Rob play and he looks healthy to me.  There is no mention in his injury history report about the artery.  The main injury has been with his left hip.  He has missed a few games this year with a sore hip, Covid safety protocols and an undisclosed illness.  last year was when he missed a lot of games.  He should be in the 20+ MPG program right now.  Not more minutes  little by little, by little.

He is still working on his stamina but seems to play at a high level at both ends and is doing a lot of things with a high productivity rate.  He has emerged as a true rim protector, help defender, screener, passer and finisher at the rim with ultra elite athleticism and remarkable touch.  I have not seen any drop off from him when he plays 20+ minutes, just more production.

No more excuses Brad.  Play the kid more now.

DATE DESCRIPTION
02/11/2021 Left Hip
01/07/2021 Health And Safety Protocols
12/25/2020 Illness
03/09/2020 Back
12/08/2019 Hip
11/16/2019 Right Ankle Soreness
11/13/2019 Ankle
11/01/2019 Left Hip
03/23/2019 Lower Back Contusion
03/17/2019 Illness
02/13/2019 Illness
02/12/2019 Back
02/03/2019 Lower Back Soreness
12/27/2018 Groin
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:40 pm

I do not see why he has not had surgery if there is an ongoing issue with the Arteries that impact cramping in the Calf area. For crying out loud this guy is jumping through the roof at both ends. He's healthy.

In my opinion you cannot completely trust anything that either Danny or Brad say.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:27 am

dboss wrote:I do not see why he has not had surgery if there is an ongoing issue with the Arteries that impact cramping in the Calf area.  For crying out loud this guy is jumping through the roof at both ends.  He's healthy.

In my opinion you cannot completely trust anything that either Danny or Brad say.  

DBoss, You made the statement of the year. You are sooooo right. Brad and Danny play off of one another and they are both full of crap!

You cannot trust Danny or Brad!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:30 am

112288 wrote:
dboss wrote:I do not see why he has not had surgery if there is an ongoing issue with the Arteries that impact cramping in the Calf area.  For crying out loud this guy is jumping through the roof at both ends.  He's healthy.

DBoss,  You made the statement of the year.   You are sooooo right.  Brad and Danny play off of one another and they are both full of crap!

You cannot trust Danny or Brad!

dboss and 112288,

I've been saying this for years, especially about Danny. They are under no obligation to tell us the truth about internal matters, as frustrating that is for inquiring minds like ours who want to know everything.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:36 am

Bob you are correct. However he has done this to other GM's and they are catching on to him. He is starting to gain a reputation as not a square shooter.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:24 am

112288 wrote:Bob you are correct. However he has done this to other GM's and they are catching on to him. He is starting to gain a reputation as not a square shooter.

Here's an article that says otherwise.  It's a Celticblog article, but they are quoting an original article that I read (this was just the first one that came up on my Google search, so it's a derivative but it says the same stuff) in which they say Danny is very easy, especially compared to Mike Zarren, who is very straight and buttoned-down but who can tell you your idea for a trade is cap nonsense off the top of his head.

Here's the link to the story.  An interesting read.  

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/1/19/22237956/what-is-it-really-like-to-talk-trades-with-danny-ainge-boston-celtics

A bit-and-piece of it from a GM speaking anonymously is "Once you get past Zarren, Ainge isn’t so bad. He might try to tweak things a little bit, but I always found him to be reasonable. There were small changes, and to be honest, I do the same thing.”

Are they being careful dealing with Danny?  Sure.  They're talking big $ and he has a track record of making some very good deals.  Personally, I'd rather have the guy that everybody thinks is very good at his job, and that's because he keeps making winning trades, than some guy they respect only because he has the job and not because they're afraid of him.  GMs were afraid of Red too, for good reason.  He saw things in players nobody else did until after they started wearing green.  Give me the GOAT, give me the Champ, and let everybody else worry about him.  Everybody else can have the "also-rans".  I grew up in the era in which "The Prince" was required business school reading.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:04 pm

Bob,

There are contradicting articles about Danny in a negative light that was published about a week or so by either NESN or NBC Sports Boston or WEEI. The article stated that many GM's do not like dealing with Danny because he is "too slick" regarding trading with him. Not only are they afraid about receiving damaging goods i.e Isaiah Thomas but also in addition other GM's would rather shop a deal proposed by Danny before doing it with him because they feel Danny may be fleecing them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down