atcross
worcester
bobheckler
cowens/oldschool
dboss
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Taking Stock of The Celtics Post Trade deadline Empty Taking Stock of The Celtics Post Trade deadline

Post by dboss Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:34 am

The Celtics did not do everything that they wanted to do but they did accomplish several things

They upgraded their wing depth with Fournier who should fit nicely into the slot vacated by GH

They opened up minutes for RW who has been playing great basketball because they now have a 2 headed center so minutes can be split more evenly.    Kornet will be a deep bench guy.  Tristian has been bitching about minutes.  Theis was on an expiring deal but TT is locked in for another year.  I like Theis better than Tristian but Theis is still an undersized center and both Williams and Thompson are better rebounders.  It was easier to move Theis.  Best of luck to him for a job well done.

The Celtics keep Marcus Smart as well as all of their draftees over the past two years and they did not use any first round picks.

The Celtics also avoided hitting the tax line for this year.  Yes they could have made a bigger deal but they did not want to become a tax payer this year.  

I think the Celtics will make the playoffs because they added an above average scorer/shooter and addressed a positional need in the process.

I think we are going to see a change in our starting lineup.  Brad has always preferred a 3 wing lineup so the logical change will be for Fournier to move into the lineup.  He is not a bench guy.  He is an experienced veteran starter.  Everyone has been calling for RW to be our starting center.  He is a better overall player than TT at this point.  TT can go to the bench to sure up the 2nd unit as Rob is a more dynamic player who should fit in well with our top guys.

Marcus Smart will be heading back to the bench except when KW misses all those B2B games.  He will still play starter minutes or you may also see PP get a few starts. Why not?

PP got squeezed a bit when both Kemba and Smart returned.  Now with Teague gone he should get consistent backup minutes at the point.  

The bench is still not up to par but it will be better.  Wagner adds more size and GW and Semi have actually played better this year.  Not great but better.

The addition of Fournier will allow Brad to keep 2 high quality wing scorers on the floor at all times.

So there you have it.  No this is not the profile of a title contender but now you can put 4 dynamic scorers on the floor together with  one of the most athletic big men in the league who is showing exponential improvement.

There are a lot of questions to be answered up the road but right now this is the team moving forward.  There is a possibility that the Celtics could pursue one of the buyout candidates.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Taking Stock of The Celtics Post Trade deadline Empty Re: Taking Stock of The Celtics Post Trade deadline

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:53 am

Now if only Nesmith and Romeo can earn minutes and give us something, we will have plenty of depth and can go at teams hard for 48 minutes.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Taking Stock of The Celtics Post Trade deadline Empty Re: Taking Stock of The Celtics Post Trade deadline

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:59 am

I am pleasantly surprised and glad we got a 6’7” wing with Fournier’s production and length. I have the perfect nickname that I’ll be using on the board for him- Frenchy. We just got more popular in France, and that, well Paris was Sam’s favorite city in the world...!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:05 am

We have a legit scorer in Fournier.  Not a 'hopeful', like Edwards and Nesmith, legit.  He won't get 30mpg like in Orlando but he'll be winning more so I hope that will make him happier.

I am interested in seeing what Wagner can give us.  He's not going to be Theis, let's just accept that, but Theis was squeezing The Time Lord's minutes.  Williams just got his promotion made official.  For all who called for him to start and get 30mpg, you got your wish.  Whether he starts or not he has definitely moved up on the depth chart at big.

We have scoring droughts, especially in the 4th quarter.  I expect those to diminish in number and severity with the addition of Fournier.

Our ability to get into the playoffs and even advance will now hinge upon how quickly Fournier can be integrated.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:13 am

Prediction, we make the playoffs and in the next month Nesmith and Romeo get at least 7 minutes per game on the floor. I really hope Romeo becomes an NBA player of value. We have waited so long and seen so little of him so far.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:24 am

worcester wrote:Prediction, we make the playoffs and in the next month Nesmith and Romeo get at least 7 minutes per game on the floor. I really hope Romeo becomes an NBA player of value. We have waited so long and seen so little of him so far.

Ditto, he showed enough flashes that you could see there’s a real player/asset there, no question his game can help us....his defense actually reminded me a lot of Smarts on the ball D.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:51 am

What is the deal with the Covid protocol? Does anyone know? Seems like TT and Romeo have been on it for a long time.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:54 am

To the best of my knowledge, Romeo went into the 10 day Covid protocol March 10th, TT March 15th. Go figure.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:42 pm

worcester wrote:To the best of my knowledge, Romeo went into the 10 day Covid protocol March 10th, TT March 15th. Go figure.

Maybe they decided to leave Romeo out for the road trip and impending trade deadline. But now that DT is gone, I would think they could really use TT tonight if he's cleared. At some point we will have to focus on winning games rather than seeing what we've got, if we still plan to make the playoffs. True, with no practice time, new bodies are even more of a challenge. But it is what it is.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:01 pm

Dboss ,

spot on as usual with your assessment, IMO.

the only thing i would change is how the starters/ rotational players should be.

I see Thompson and Smart starting with Tatum, Brown and Kemba

Fournier, while a starter will become the 6th man (he is on a real playoff team now)

Rob gets consistent minutes game in, game out (22-28) depending on Thompsons play.

Pritchard is Smarts BU as ball handler now.

Kemba should be playing more off-ball IMO anyway.

thats 8 deep and we know Brad will somehow find minutes for Grant and Semi too.

Nesmith, Romeo will have to bring it to get in the rotation,. IMO.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:16 pm

We are going to be short handed in the frontcourt until TT returns.    Semi is going to be out tonight along with TT.

RWIII will be our main guy at center.  Maybe Tacko gets a few minutes and I expect that Brad will be forced to play some small ball center.  The new kid on the block Wagner should also be available.

Time is running short for Boston to nail down a playoff position.

Our guys need to be reading from the same page so I look for our veterans to step up and right the ship and help the new guys acclimate to the team.    

Defense is usually the most difficult thing for new guys to pick up with all the switching that Boston likes to do.  Brad may just want to play a bit more zones to smooth out the transition.

Fournier should fit right in the offense like a glove.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:43 pm

If Fournier can join the team by plane from Orlando and Wagner from D.C. by plane and Kornet from Milwaukee by car (?), why not Romeo from Boston? I don't get the RL story at all. He was first out March 10th!

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/romeo-langford-out-for-covid-19-protocols/

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2021/03/22/romeo-langford-will-not-join-celtics-on-road-trip-due-to-continued-covid-19-protocols - March 22nd story.

Brad says Romeo can't travel and deal with the covid protocols. What makes Romeo different that Mo or Evan or Kornet?

I really do not get it.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:47 pm

Romeo Langford is actually a hologram from the matrix, he is not real and can only "play" when the Celtics are in a bubble.

don't say where you heard this from.

Last edited by kdp59 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:47 pm

kdp59 wrote:Dboss ,

spot on as usual with your assessment, IMO.

the only thing i would change is how the starters/ rotational players should be.

I see Thompson and Smart starting with Tatum, Brown and Kemba

Fournier, while a starter will become the 6th man (he is on a real playoff team now)

Rob gets consistent minutes game in, game out (22-28) depending on Thompsons play.

Pritchard is Smarts BU as ball handler now.

Kemba should be playing more off-ball IMO anyway.

thats 8 deep and we know Brad will somehow find minutes for Grant and Semi too.

Nesmith, Romeo will have to bring it to get in the rotation,. IMO.

kdp59

We missed you last night!

You may be quite right about the lineup changes. But RW will be starting tonight, lol.

When GH arrived, Brad Stevens had him in the starting lineup with the J's because Brad loves a 3 wing lineup. Then he went down but last year he was back in the starting lineup with the J's. The new 3 wing lineup may not happen right away but I do think that is what Brad prefers. Brad cannot get the offensive efficiency with Marcus because Marcus is a below average shooter and scorer. This is not a knock on Marcus but 39% from the field and 32.4% from deep is not really good enough. If the issue is having a defensive minded guy in there to help Kemba then yes, Marcus would be the better choice. I guess it is an off/def tradeoff. What is more important? I would go full blown offense.

Anyways, all this is speculative and Brad will just have to decide what lineups and rotations work best.

TT and RW will split minutes at center and if Wagner works out you may see him also in their with one of the centers in a big boy lineup (i.e. RW on the freak and Wagner on the Android.)

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:03 pm

Danny was on the radio this morning and made an interesting statement. He said he felt a lot of players were "down" that includes coaches. This move was made to show the young stars that the team is not ready to throw in the towel and go home for the year. They had to do something, bring someone in who possibly could have an immediate impact with our young players. I, personally, love the move, have like Fournier's game for a while now, even mentioning at the beginning of the season if there was a way we could get him or Terrence Ross. So, I am happy with the move.

I realize we were probably going to lose Theis next year, so the move made sense. I will miss him though, as he was a hard worker on this team, and improved his game every year. I am sure he was a good teammate too. But it will be interesting to see just what we have now.

The kids are on notice, play well , stay ready, this is your time to put up or shut up. I will be watching to see who really takes advantage of any time they get on the floor

Poor Jeff Teague, he had just figured out how to help this team, now he is out of a job. I hope for his sake that someone signs him
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:12 pm

worcester wrote:If Fournier can join the team by plane from Orlando and Wagner from D.C. by plane and Kornet from Milwaukee by car (?), why not Romeo from Boston? I don't get the RL story at all. He was first out March 10th!

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/romeo-langford-out-for-covid-19-protocols/

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2021/03/22/romeo-langford-will-not-join-celtics-on-road-trip-due-to-continued-covid-19-protocols - March 22nd story.

Brad says Romeo can't travel and deal with the covid protocols. What makes Romeo different that Mo or Evan or Kornet?

I really do not get it.

Fournier will not be in Milwaukee tonight no will TT or Romeo who I believe will end up on a milk carton or on the inside wall of a Wal-mart very soon.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:17 pm

Rosalie

Teague has made around $97,000,000 million over 11 years. He is 32 years young same age as KJ.

I guess he should be okay even if he does not land with another NBA Team. He still can help someone but this seems to happen a lot. A guy gets kicked to the curb and it is time to begin a new chapter in their lives.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:15 pm

But what a curb!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:32 pm

Smart is actually a slightly worse shooter than Rondo last year at LA. And he's no where near the passer/playmaker. He's a valuable player because of his ability to defend about anybody, his ability to make clutch plays, the intangibles he brings with his energy, grit, and spirit. But he tries to make too many hero shots and passes. There needs to be someone who will give him the stink eye when he gets carried away. Play him at the 2 next to Kemba, or bring him in as the 6th, and then at the end of games. Kemba and PP are our PGs. With 2 Js, KW, EF, and PP, we don't need him to be a shooter. Sure he needs to take the wide open three to keep the defense honest. But that shot has to be applied judiciously, not early in the clock because he's feeling it.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:15 pm

atcross wrote:Smart is actually a slightly worse shooter than Rondo last year at LA. And he's no where near the passer/playmaker. He's a valuable player because of his ability to defend about anybody, his ability to make clutch plays, the intangibles he brings with his energy, grit, and spirit. But he tries to make too many hero shots and passes. There needs to be someone who will give him the stink eye when he gets carried away. Play him at the 2 next to Kemba, or bring him in as the 6th, and then at the end of games. Kemba and PP are our PGs. With 2 Js, KW, EF, and PP, we don't need him to be a shooter. Sure he needs to take the wide open three to keep the defense honest. But that shot has to be applied judiciously, not early in the clock because he's feeling it.

Smart remains an integral part of the team. As soon as I think he cannot score, he scores and as soon as I think he can score, he cannot score. Exclamation

That is way I think of him as our ultimate enigma.

The more perfect Marcus Smart is a playmaker and intense defender, and a disciplined low volume shooter. Sometimes he comes out and and does exactly what the team needs most. Other times he comes out and shoots too many bricks and kills our momentum. We have dropped several games this year because of some bad decisions to take shots.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:19 pm

Discipline overall has been lacking. Brad very much needs to take an acupuncture course.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:39 pm

We never would have gotten back into that game against the Bucks without Marcus. His defensive plays were unreal. He is aware of everything on the floor. Let's face it, teams leave him open and dare him to take those last minute shots because they are doubling our shooters. With another shooter on the floor, things may change. I love the guy, he gives all he has to the game and the Celtics. Not many players out there like him today
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:46 pm

To me he is an essential Celtic player.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:59 pm

worcester wrote:To me he is an essential Celtic player.

I don't think anyone has suggested he is not an important and integral part of the team now and going forward. The only question is the role he should play.

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:42 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Danny was on the radio this morning and made an interesting statement.  He said he felt a lot of players were "down"  that includes coaches.  This move was made to show the young stars that the team is not ready to throw in the towel and go home for the year.  They had to do something, bring someone in who possibly could have an immediate impact with our young players.  I, personally, love the move, have like Fournier's game for a while now, even mentioning at the beginning of the season if there was a way we could get him or Terrence Ross. So, I am happy with the move.

I realize we were probably going to lose Theis next year, so the move made sense. I will miss him though, as he was a  hard worker on this team, and improved his game every year.  I am sure he was a good teammate too.  But it will be interesting to see just what we have now.

The kids are on notice, play well , stay ready, this is your time to put up or shut up.  I will be watching to see who really takes advantage of any time they get on the floor

Poor Jeff Teague, he had just figured out how to help this team, now he is out of a job. I hope for his sake that someone signs him

Yes, I read a summary of that interview on ESPN just now.

Looks like the same idea I had about a catalyst of change. Someone (almost anyone) new to break the mental funk they have been sleepwalking through for most of the season.

I hope it works and I hope RWill is ready physically to play 30 minutes per game now. Theis was without a doubt the most consistent and experienced front court player we had.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next