Thank you, Brad Stevens, For Expressing How Celtics’ Fans Feel After Loss

+2
gyso
6 posters

Go down

Thank you, Brad Stevens, For Expressing How Celtics’ Fans Feel After Loss Empty Thank you, Brad Stevens, For Expressing How Celtics’ Fans Feel After Loss

Post by 112288 Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:26 am

Thank you, Brad Stevens, For Expressing How Celtics’ Fans Feel After Loss
To no surprise, Boston wasn't able to recover from a 23-point deficit

NESN by Sean T. McGuire

“It’s just the same old story.”

Those were among the first words out of the mouth of Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens after the team lost to the Dallas Mavericks 113-108 on Wednesday at TD Garden.

It probably was a common theme to all those who continue to watch this year’s version of the Celtics, too.

The team lacked urgency and didn’t respond when Mavericks superstar Luka Doncic hit two of his seven 3-pointers during a second-quarter stretch. Doncic ended up scoring 13 of his game-high 36 points during the final 10 minutes of the half. And while doing so, Boston’s once three-point deficit, 33-30, ballooned to as much as 23 points with a 19-point halftime deficit.

“The most frustrating part is we let adversity take us out of what we’re doing for too long,” Stevens said on a postgame video conference with reporters. “So, you know, Luka goes on his run, and instead of coming back — it was just like the other night — he just hit an impossible shot, tip your cap, come down and be even more focused to get a great shot on offense. Same thing. It’s just the same old story. It’s like 12-minute droughts because we don’t respond.”

And then, faking resiliency like they have time and time again this season, the Celtics put together a fourth-quarter run. Boston cut it from eight points with 56 seconds left and seven with 30 seconds left to 109-107 with 16 ticks on the clock after Marcus Smart hustled for an offensive rebound put-back.

But, to no surprise, the C’s couldn’t come all the way back. And for good reason. If they did it would make a 23-point lead look far less meaningful than it actually is. The Celtics have somewhat relied on those all-out fourth quarters, and in this league you can’t win when you need those sorts of comebacks each and every night.

Of course, if it was the first or the second time the Celtics had done so this season we’d feel much differently.

“Wow, they just came back from 23 points? What an admirable effort,” we’d say.

But it’s not, so we should not.

And you don’t even have to have a great memory to recall the previous example as it literally happened last week against the Milwaukee Bucks. In that game, let’s remember, Boston got down by as much as 25 points, 90-65, with 18:28 left in the game. They came all the way back, cut it to two, 121-119, with 1:32 left and then lost by two.

You can’t win like that, but for some reason the Celtics, now back to two games below .500, haven’t learned it yet.

And until they do, it’s going to be the same old story.

Back to top Go down

Thank you, Brad Stevens, For Expressing How Celtics’ Fans Feel After Loss Empty Re: Thank you, Brad Stevens, For Expressing How Celtics’ Fans Feel After Loss

Post by 112288 Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 am

So Brad Stevens Has Blunt Assessment Of Celtics’ Play This Season at his press conference.  La Di Da.  

Where I come from in business, there is an old expression. If you are the head of a department, or company and whatever you are in charge of is failing to achieve profitability or under performing.........................YOU OWN IT!

IN THIS CASE STEVENS OWNS THIS PILE OF FAILURE..... HE IS THE COACH, CAPTAIN, EL SUPREME LEADER OF THIS TEAM!  

He has not righted the ship and corrected the problem due in large part in the basketball strategy he has implemented on the court.

I need to go back to the roots of BOSTON CELTIC BASKETBALL beginning with the name its self.....BOSTON CELTICS.   Its origin came form the large Boston Irish population residing in and around Boston.  The Irish also have an expression that came from the old country regarding someone who is trying to offer an excuse for something.

It is defined in Websters Dictionary as meaningless talk; nonsense: insincere or foolish talk!

So I have to use this now towards Brad when I here the same old same.............old post game presser TO WHY WE LOST AGAIN, I have to shout out...............................

BRAD, STOP THE MALARKEY!  

Back to top Go down

Thank you, Brad Stevens, For Expressing How Celtics’ Fans Feel After Loss Empty Re: Thank you, Brad Stevens, For Expressing How Celtics’ Fans Feel After Loss

Post by gyso Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:45 am

I do not agree, top to bottom.  Pointing blame at the coach in this situation is a waste of time. It is an easy and lazy cop out.  It is something I would expect from the media, but not from you, a knowledgeable and long time fan of the game.

If anyone listened to Jeff Van Gundy pre game, he said it best.  The Celtics have not been able to start and play with their best lineup any more than a couple games in a row, at best.  He expects more of the same until everyone is back and available over time.  

Our Sam had a word for this, Continuity.

And when was the last time a captain of industry failed and then fell on his own sword?  They fail and give themselves and others around them million dollar bonuses.  Worse case, they get the golden parachute and then go on to pillage another company.

I think Sean T. McGuire is the Malarkey peddler in this case and you mistakenly bought into his foolishness.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:58 am

I have no idea what Brad does or does not say in the locker room and I have no idea how he says it.  He claims he speaks differently to the players than he does to the media, and that is appropriate.  What happens in the locker room should stay in the locker room.  If I have a bitch with Brad it's that he doesn't work the refs enough.  When Tommy passed Brad said that he's going to need to step up in that area because he could no longer count on Tommy doing it for him.  Well...?

Aside from whatever calls you may or may not be able to swindle from the refs it's good for team morale.  They see you fighting as hard as them.  Sometimes getting ejected is the right thing for a head coach to do, and he should do it intentionally.

Other than that, what?

1.  Brad's offense is about driving to get at least one foot in the paint and then kicking to a shooter if/when the defense collapses.  We didn't do that in the 1st half, and we got long shots that had defenders nearby because they weren't being forced to move.  We started doing it in the 2nd half and we became productive.  In other words, when the players started playing Brad's offense our offense improved.  We shot 3-12 from the arc in the 1st and 4-24 from 3 at halftime, for a 1-12 2nd quarter from 3.  In the 2nd half we saw Kemba and Tatum driving the ball more.  Getting to the rim.  Tatum would hit or miss, Kemba would hit or get blocked but they were collapsing the defense.  Our 3rd quarter showed us 7-35 from 3, a 3-11 3rd quarter and then a 4-12 4th.  Still shitty numbers, we know that, but an improvement from 4-24 and I trace that improvement to the players playing Brad Ball.  Drive the ball, get at least one foot touching the paint and then choose to finish or kick.

2.  Our bigs last night were two players that are 3rd and 4th on the depth chart and brand new to the Celtics and Brad's system and our players.  As GYSO pointed out Sam always talked about chemistry and continuity and we had none of that going for us last night with our bigs.  Not their fault, maybe they could have been more aggressive, but otherwise they were thrown into the deep end of the pool.  You can't take players that are barely rotation players at this point of their careers, dump them into a new system and expect them to perform like starters in a week.  Look how long it took RWill to play like a solid rotation player.  Years, and all of that time was in a single system with the same coaching staff chirping the same stuff in his ears and playing with many of the same players, and it still took years.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:27 pm

Danny's position, on Toucher and Ross:

Thank you, Brad Stevens, For Expressing How Celtics’ Fans Feel After Loss Ex5HLOTWUAcfOQg?format=jpg&name=small

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:38 pm

" . . . we really need to get healthy."  True.

" . . . effort should be the one thing that is consistent."  Also true.  That's on Brad?  No.  That's on the players.  Our youth is showing?

Sit the players every time there seems to be lack of effort?  IMO, that is a stick to use sparingly.

Yell at the refs and get thrown out?  IMO, Yes.  While that is a stick to use sparingly as well, it has to be used.  The players will often respond to that in a positive manner.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:59 pm

An off-topic debate emerging inside a semi-related topic?

One for it's own thread, perhaps, on Brad's demeanor with officials.

Maybe even worthy of a debate on dealing with officials in general.

My own feelings come from experience playing at the college level and coaching through the high school level in a couple of different sports. I've been fortunate enough to get to know and talk at length with a few who have played and coached at the pro level in a few sports as well. I've talked with those individuals on this topic more than a few times and learned from their experience and methods. My thinking on Brad when it comes to working the refs?

Brad gets a pass on this one. To my experience and in my opinion, openly getting on officials does zero.

I've seen teams get fired up and win one after a coach gets run, but those instances have been the exception by far.

I did like the comments from Danny Ainge that BobH posted above. Hard to argue with someone when they just present the facts.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:02 pm

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
about 30 minutes ago
If we have to deal with more Brad Stevens rumors (the Carolina job), just mention him for frickin' everything... Secretary General of NATO steps down? Brad Stevens tops the list of candidates. Produce manager at Market Basket retires? Oh, they gotta want Brad for that.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:21 pm

So, you want to blame Brad, huh??? I gather you may have been watching that big mouth on ESPN, Steven A, (and I will not say what I think the A is for) Give me a break How many lneups have you seen??? How many players have been on and off the injured list? Our two main players seem to be thinking that they are going to carry this team on their backs and be hero's .. Sorry, this is baloney. I watched that game last night, and could not count on two hands how many times Tatum got his teammates involved in plays, He was going to do it alone.
I saw Pritchard standing in a corner, not even being acknowledged that he was on the floor.
Jaylen started hitting some shots and then stopped getting the ball.

Basketball is a team game, these guys have lost the meaning of "TEAM" I can tell that Smart is getting disgusted, but he has had some real pauses in his game too. Kemba does not get off this time, He just needs to play better.

So, you can blame Brad all you want, but he is dealing with guys who just do not get what it takes to put 48 minutes together night after night right now. Will it change, I can only hope.
I will be sitting right here waiting for it. They have so much talent, but that does not win games if you do not know how to use it.

Sorry for the rant, but this topic is driving me nuts
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:39 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:So, you want to blame Brad, huh???  I gather you may have been watching that big mouth on ESPN, Steven A, (and I will not say what I think the A is for)   Give me a break  How many lneups have you seen???  How many players have been on and off the injured list?  Our two main players seem to be thinking that they are going to carry this team on their backs and be hero's .. Sorry, this is baloney.  I watched that game last night, and could not count on two hands how many times Tatum got his teammates involved in plays, He was going to do it alone.
I saw Pritchard standing in a corner, not even being acknowledged that he was on the floor.
Jaylen started hitting some shots and then stopped getting the ball.  

Basketball is a team game, these guys have lost the meaning of "TEAM"  I can tell that Smart is getting disgusted, but he has had some real pauses in his game too.    Kemba does not get off this time, He just needs to play better.  

So, you can blame Brad all you want, but he is dealing with guys who just do not get what it takes to put 48 minutes together night after night right now.  Will it change, I can only hope.
I will be sitting right here waiting for it. They have so much talent, but that does not win games if you do not know how to use it.

Sorry for the rant, but this topic is driving me nuts

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:55 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:48 pm

gyso wrote:I do not agree, top to bottom.  Pointing blame at the coach in this situation is a waste of time. It is an easy and lazy cop out.  It is something I would expect from the media, but not from you, a knowledgeable and long time fan of the game.

If anyone listened to Jeff Van Gundy pre game, he said it best.  The Celtics have not been able to start and play with their best lineup any more than a couple games in a row, at best.  He expects more of the same until everyone is back and available over time.  

Our Sam had a word for this, Continuity.

And when was the last time a captain of industry failed and then fell on his own sword?  They fail and give themselves and others around them million dollar bonuses.  Worse case, they get the golden parachute and then go on to pillage another company.

I think Sean T. McGuire is the Malarkey peddler in this case and you mistakenly bought into his foolishness.

Most of what you are saying I tend to agree with but to not put any of this on the coach is “malarkey”. A percentage of this failure belongs to him and I’m sure he’d be the first to admit it. As a matter of fact he already has.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:50 pm

And HE took it on his shoulders.  He is not throwing anyone under the bus but himself.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:06 pm

bobheckler wrote:I have no idea what Brad does or does not say in the locker room and I have no idea how he says it.  He claims he speaks differently to the players than he does to the media, and that is appropriate.  What happens in the locker room should stay in the locker room.  If I have a bitch with Brad it's that he doesn't work the refs enough.  When Tommy passed Brad said that he's going to need to step up in that area because he could no longer count on Tommy doing it for him.  Well...?

Aside from whatever calls you may or may not be able to swindle from the refs it's good for team morale.  They see you fighting as hard as them.  Sometimes getting ejected is the right thing for a head coach to do, and he should do it intentionally.

Other than that, what?

1.  Brad's offense is about driving to get at least one foot in the paint and then kicking to a shooter if/when the defense collapses.  We didn't do that in the 1st half, and we got long shots that had defenders nearby because they weren't being forced to move.  We started doing it in the 2nd half and we became productive.  In other words, when the players started playing Brad's offense our offense improved.  We shot 3-12 from the arc in the 1st and 4-24 from 3 at halftime, for a 1-12 2nd quarter from 3.  In the 2nd half we saw Kemba and Tatum driving the ball more.  Getting to the rim.  Tatum would hit or miss, Kemba would hit or get blocked but they were collapsing the defense.  Our 3rd quarter showed us 7-35 from 3, a 3-11 3rd quarter and then a 4-12 4th.  Still shitty numbers, we know that, but an improvement from 4-24 and I trace that improvement to the players playing Brad Ball.  Drive the ball, get at least one foot touching the paint and then choose to finish or kick.

2.  Our bigs last night were two players that are 3rd and 4th on the depth chart and brand new to the Celtics and Brad's system and our players.  As GYSO pointed out Sam always talked about chemistry and continuity and we had none of that going for us last night with our bigs.  Not their fault, maybe they could have been more aggressive, but otherwise they were thrown into the deep end of the pool.  You can't take players that are barely rotation players at this point of their careers, dump them into a new system and expect them to perform like starters in a week.  Look how long it took RWill to play like a solid rotation player.  Years, and all of that time was in a single system with the same coaching staff chirping the same stuff in his ears and playing with many of the same players, and it still took years.

Bob

Look, I’m a fan of Brad. Ive said on many occasions that he is a very good coach. Bob, your spot with most of your points but when you talk about what Brad’s offense is supposed to be and in the first half “we didn’t do it”, some of that IS on the coach because its his job to get them to do it. If they’re not doing it, he, the coach has to find a way to get them to do it or there has to be consequences. If you’re the boss your job is to get done what needs to get done. EX: earlier in life when an employee wasn’t performing my first inclination was to fire them. My boss and mentor took me to task one day and told me, that my job was to get them to do their job, thats what he hired me for. He told me every time you fire someone you admit that you failed now go back out there and get them to do what you need them to do. So, I do I agree, Brad has not failed but he does have to find a way to get the guys to do what needs to be done in all 4 quarters and not just the 2nd half. I think he can. I also think he’s got some key players who may need a change of scenery. My boss/mentor also said. Doesn't mean you never fire anyone, just make that be your last resort.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:12 pm

gyso wrote:" . . . we really need to get healthy."  True.

" . . . effort should be the one thing that is consistent."  Also true.  That's on Brad?  No.  That's on the players.  Our youth is showing?

Sit the players every time there seems to be lack of effort?  IMO, that is a stick to use sparingly.

Yell at the refs and get thrown out?  IMO, Yes.  While that is a stick to use sparingly as well, it has to be used.  The players will often respond to that in a positive manner.

Well.......

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down