NYCelt
worcester
cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
Ktron
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Paul Pierce and ESPN split after Instagram madness Empty Paul Pierce and ESPN split after Instagram madness

Post by Ktron Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:44 pm

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/05/paul-pierce-leaves-espn-days-after-wild-twerk-ig-sesh/

ESPN parted ways with NBA analyst and former Boston Celtics legend Paul Pierce on Monday, just days after his wild Instagram Live on Friday night, according to Front Office Sports’ Michael McCarthy.

Pierce has worked for ESPN since he retired from the league after the 2016-17 season, and has been a staple on “NBA Countdown,” “The Jump” and in other NBA coverage for the network ever since.

Pierce went live on Instagram on Friday night in a room full of dancers while smoking, drinking and apparently playing poker with his friends — all while clearly ignoring basic COVID-19 safety protocols. The videos made waves on social media, both during the live broadcast and after.

Pierce then tweeted the next day around 8 p.m. PT.

He didn't seem too bothered by the news on social media, either, as he posted a four second video of him just laughing on Monday afternoon.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Paul Pierce and ESPN split after Instagram madness Empty Re: Paul Pierce and ESPN split after Instagram madness

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:27 pm

Kind of a stupid thing to do before he gets elected into HOF. Guess he still needs to grow up!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Paul Pierce and ESPN split after Instagram madness Empty Re: Paul Pierce and ESPN split after Instagram madness

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:43 am

I have been to a strip club, but why anyone would post something like that is beyond dumb. Can’t believe he did that, really disappointed in him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:50 am

He was obviously drunk. Fortunately the internet did not exist when I got drunk and shaqted the fool. I still love Paul and wish him a happy sober life.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:09 pm

worcester wrote:He was obviously drunk. Fortunately the internet did not exist when I got drunk and shaqted the fool. I still  love Paul and wish him a happy sober life.

You make a great point.

If the internet and social media were a thing when I was young, my path would probably have been quite different. There were a high number of stupid things I did that would have been caught on video, for sure.

A costly but all-too-human mistake for Paul. Maybe nothing illegal, but the optics couldn't be worse. The cameras are everywhere and he should know better than to put himself in that situation.

He's done a lot of good, so I hope he will make the right moves to get past this and recover his reputation.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:45 pm

I’m hearing he’s got another offer and another chance to redeem himself. Hopefully he’s learned from this.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:51 pm

Wtf, he got loaded playing poker in a strip club. Someone took a video and posted ut. He was not driving drunk. He did nothing illegal except show evidence of being an alpha male. A taboo in today's world. He did not harm anyone or anything except his own reputation as a teetotalling ex NBA player who does not like women and who eschews gambling. Why are people offering criticism when what he needs is compassion and condolences?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:27 pm

I’m hearing conflicting stories. There are some that say that Paul posted that to his own Instagram account.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:36 pm

If PP posted this himself, then he was really drunk.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:19 pm

worcester wrote:Wtf, he got loaded playing poker in a strip club. Someone took a video and posted ut. He was not driving drunk. He did nothing illegal except show evidence of being an alpha male. A taboo in today's world.  He did not harm anyone or anything except his own reputation as a teetotalling ex NBA player who does not like women and who eschews gambling. Why are people offering criticism when what he needs is compassion and condolences?

W,

The criticism, at least from me, was that he posted it himself, and then followed it up in the morning with another vid of himself laughing about the whole thing.

I'm not saying he's committed some crime, I'm just saying given his visibility he made a bad choice. The consequence of being a public role model and center of influence and making your money as a result.

Most of us have made a bad choice or three along the way. I have and I've deserved any backlash I've gotten. Heck, I've done worse. Enjoyed it at the time too. Pierce didn't hurt anyone, so I don't think he deserves some public flogging, just a reminder not to put up a video the next time he's too drunk for a lap dance.

The scale still tips far in favor of the positives when it comes to Paul Pierce; and not just on the basketball court.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:31 pm

What little I've read early on about the subject leaned a bit toward covid issues. No masks and little social distancing.

Maybe a little pot smoking, not that there's anything wrong with that, IMO.

Bad timing? Not a great look? Whatever.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:12 pm

NYCelt, I was not commenting on anything you wrote about Paul, and I couldn't imagine he would be so foolish as to post those videos on his own, but maybe he did. Re Covid, yes that was not a teaching moment for covid prevention!

Re Covid, how is it that only 6% or so of the American population has tested + and on our team Jayson, Romeo, Tristan, Marcus, and now Evan and perhaps others have come down with Covid??? Out of 20 playersmax we have at least 5 players infected??? 25% Something is wrong with.that picture.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:43 pm

worcester wrote:NYCelt, I was not commenting on anything you wrote about Paul, and I couldn't imagine he would be so foolish as to post those videos on his own, but maybe he did. Re Covid, yes that was not a teaching moment for covid prevention!

Re Covid, how is it that only 6% or so of the American population has tested + and on our team Jayson, Romeo, Tristan, Marcus, and now Evan and perhaps others have come down with Covid??? Out of 20 playersmax we have at least 5 players infected??? 25% Something is wrong with.that picture.

Excellent question. I just googled it, and it said 30 Million cases, which is closer to 10%, but your question still stands. Just guessing, but I wonder if the number is higher for people in an age group that is socially active??? Cold climates where people are indoors more?? I don't know....

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:43 pm

worcester wrote:Wtf, he got loaded playing poker in a strip club. Someone took a video and posted ut. He was not driving drunk. He did nothing illegal except show evidence of being an alpha male. A taboo in today's world.  He did not harm anyone or anything except his own reputation as a teetotalling ex NBA player who does not like women and who eschews gambling. Why are people offering criticism when what he needs is compassion and condolences?

+1

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:34 pm

Well, no question a dumb move for a HOF player that is currently working on air. He should know better, being a public figure for decades now.

That being said I would welcome him to replace Scal Smile. I am getting constantly melancholic when I hear Scal's ... let's call them not very entertaining... Analyses during games. I really miss Tommy Heinsohn Sad. I realized this year that I had been watching games where Celtics lose (as I most often can only watch recordings so already know the end heh) just because of him. I have probably watched a total of 2..3 losses this season.

PP has a long long way to go to catch up to Tommy's experience and insight, but he does have that charisma (at least for me) that is the hardest thing to replace in my opinion.

Ah well just wishful thinking for better successors to Tommy and Mike. Nobody will reach them anytime soon, but a guy can wish can't he Smile?

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:49 pm

Vankisa wrote:Well, no question a dumb move for a HOF player that is currently working on air. He should know better, being a public figure for decades now.

That being said I would welcome him to replace Scal Smile. I am getting constantly melancholic when I hear Scal's ... let's call them not very entertaining... Analyses during games. I really miss Tommy Heinsohn Sad. I realized this year that I had been watching games where Celtics lose (as I most often can only watch recordings so already know the end heh) just because of him. I have probably watched a total of 2..3 losses this season.

PP has a long long way to go to catch up to Tommy's experience and insight, but he does have that charisma (at least for me) that is the hardest thing to replace in my opinion.

Ah well just wishful thinking for better successors to Tommy and Mike. Nobody will reach them anytime soon, but a guy can wish can't he Smile?
I’ll second that. I’ll even go as far as to say that dead air is more pleasing to the ear than Scal.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:33 pm

Oh God, after watching the game the other night, Scal kept stepping over Sean Grande, and Grande gave it right back at him. I wonder at times, how much longer Mike has. It has been a blessing for him doing the games from a big screen tv, right at the garden, not traveling. So when things go back to normal next year, I just wonder.

I don’t know if that is what Paul was insinuating, but I do wonder what he was talking about when he said big things coming. He obviously has another iron on the fire, wouldn’t it be great to have him here in Boston. Scal just wears you down with his chatter, and his hero worship of other players on other teams. I cannot imagine him doing play by play. You can tell Mike misses Tommy a lot, could be an omen
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:59 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Oh God, after watching the game the other night, Scal kept stepping over Sean Grande, and Grande gave it right back at him.  I wonder at times, how much longer Mike has. It has been a blessing for him doing the games from a big screen tv, right at the garden, not traveling. So when things go back to normal next year, I just wonder.

I don’t know if that is what Paul was insinuating, but I do wonder what he was talking about when he said big things coming.  He obviously has another iron on the fire, wouldn’t it be great to have him here in Boston.  Scal just wears you down with his chatter, and his hero worship of other players on other teams.  I cannot imagine him doing play by play.  You can tell Mike misses Tommy a lot, could be an omen

The owner of Barstool Sports reached out to Pierce and I think Fox has shown some interest. I too would like to see him back in Boston doing something with the team.
I’m with you on Grande. I thought he was excellent the other night and would be a natural to follow in Mike’s place when he decides to hang up the headphones. I also agree that its obvious that Mike is not the same without Tommy. I don’t know if its Scal throwing him off with all his meaningless verbiage or what but Mike has missed several calls and he NEVER used to do that with Tommy or anyone else. Could be that he is just getting tired of doing it to and lacks the passion he once had. Maybe.
Grande and Max works for me. I don’t know how Scal gets all these jobs but he gets them so he must know something. I hate to say it but we may be stuck with him and Felger (yeah he’s back) for quite some time.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:31 pm

Bad team. Bad announcer. Worst of both worlds.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:47 am

I kinda like Scalabrine, but I haven't posted in a while and that's not a hill I want to die on. Mad The fact that he appreciates the skills of guys on other teams is a + for me. Different strokes.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 am

jrleftfoot wrote:I kinda like Scalabrine, but I haven't posted in  a while and that's not a hill I want to die on. Mad The fact that he appreciates the  skills of guys on other teams is a + for me. Different strokes.

With you on this one. I like Scal. He understands the game like only an NBA vet can but tries not to push it.

I also think it’s important that he be different than Tommy and not a homer.

Anyone similar to Tommy is going to come off as a cheap imitation of a unique individual.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:02 am

This is written towards ESPN which is a BS network that should be focusing on sports and not politics and political correctness.

Is it a major deal what Paul did?  No! Was it kind of stupid? Yes!  But who the hell is it anyones business anyway!!!!!   Paul did what he did.  What, drinking and having a boys night out playing cards, big deal!  Not waring a mask and not follow safety protocol. Were others in the place also not following safety protocols?   Girls in the room?  Tell me guys, how many times did some of you do the things Paul did in your life?  People have to stop being pollyannaish!  Well you may say, HE DID NOT FOLLOW SAFETY PROTOCOL............

Did Paul beat up his wife or girl friend or sexually assault a women...........NO

We all have to take a chill pill and get some relaxation on the beach!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:39 am

112288 wrote:This is written towards ESPN which is a BS network that should be focusing on sports and not politics and political correctness.

Is it a major deal what Paul did?  No! Was it kind of stupid? Yes!  But who the hell is it anyones business anyway!!!!!   Paul did what he did.  What, drinking and having a boys night out playing cards, big deal!  Not waring a mask and not follow safety protocol. Were others in the place also not following safety protocols?   Girls in the room?  Tell me guys, how many times did some of you do the things Paul did in your life?  People have to stop being pollyannaish!  Well you may say, HE DID NOT FOLLOW SAFETY PROTOCOL............

Did Paul beat up his wife or girl friend or sexually assault a women...........NO

We all have to take a chill pill and get some relaxation on the beach!

We have all done them, believe me I get it, but putting that out there was still really dumb for obvious reasons....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:41 am

Cowens as I said in my post, it was.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am

Yes it was.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next