Jackie Mac: Nobody is Blameless!

+3
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
Ktron
7 posters

Go down

Jackie Mac: Nobody is Blameless! Empty Jackie Mac: Nobody is Blameless!

Post by Ktron Wed May 12, 2021 6:33 pm

‘Nobody can come out of this blameless’: Jackie MacMullan weighed in on Brad Stevens’s future

Amid an inconsistent 2021 regular season, the Celtics are facing the increasingly likely prospect of having to participate in the NBA’s postseason play-in tournament.
Given that the team’s winning percentage is at its lowest in May since 2015, head coach Brad Stevens has been one of several targets of criticism. But according to longtime NBA reporter Jackie MacMullan, Stevens will not only stay in Boston, but could get a greater say in the roster construction.

“I really do,” MacMullan replied when asked about the possibility, “because I don’t know if everybody remembers, they signed Brad Stevens to an extension in August of last summer.”
MacMullan, speaking on NBC Sports Boston on Monday, listed factors that hampered Boston throughout 2021.
“I think he’s going to get a chance to come back because, again, I mentioned the COVID issues, the injury issues,” said MacMullan.

“I do think there have to be changes,” MacMullan added. “Does Brad Stevens deserve blame? Of course he does. Nobody can come out of this blameless. There are nights where you wonder if he’s getting to this roster. If they’re listening, if they’re paying attention.”
For MacMullan, a telltale sign of the team’s struggles under Stevens this season has been its diminished defensive capacity.
“All I can tell you is Brad Stevens’s teams are predicated on defense, and their defensive rating has plummeted from last season,” noted the longtime Celtics reporter.
As for one reason why Stevens might be less at fault for the drop in performance, MacMullan pointed to the free agent departure of Gordon Hayward.
The 31-year-old left Boston in what eventually became a sign-and-trade with the Hornets, agreeing to a four-year deal worth $120 million with Charlotte.
“I’ll say it again, I’ve said it 100 times, everybody seemed so glad that Gordon Hayward was walking out that door,” said MacMullan. “Let me tell you guys, He was the big, strong wing defender that kept this unit humming. He was also the best facilitator on this team that sacrificed shots to make the extra pass last year. I can’t stress enough how bad it was that Gordon Hayward walked away for nothing.”

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Jackie Mac: Nobody is Blameless! Empty Re: Jackie Mac: Nobody is Blameless!

Post by bobheckler Wed May 12, 2021 7:36 pm

“All I can tell you is Brad Stevens’s teams are predicated on defense, and their defensive rating has plummeted from last season,” noted the longtime Celtics reporter.

We all know this is true.  We all know how focused on defense Brad is, almost dwarfing his focus on offense.  If our defense sucks it isn't because Brad isn't attentive to it, of that I am sure.

I don't know if we can point to the precipitous collapse of our defense on the departure of Gordon Hayward alone, but it will be some of that.  Losing TRo didn't help neither.

Brad has refused to name a team captain since he came here.  The reason is because he wants every player to accept responsibility rather than putting someone in charge of making them accountable.  A very democratic (small "d") approach to team accountability, driving it down to the individual player rather than a more traditional hierarchical structure.  If there's a problem it's that when he started he had no All-Stars, now he has 2-3.  Kemba has been beating himself up with his performances.  That doesn't make them better, but it does show he's accepting personal responsibility for them.  Tatum and Brown talk about it, but I'm only seeing Brown step up after he talks about it.  No, I am not talking about trading Tatum, but someone needs to deliver some tough love to him and Jaylen and Kemba are the only ones with the stature on the team to do so.  Could Brad?  Sure, of course, but I'm talking about players policing themselves.  They should pick a leader, or they need to lead themselves.  I'm of the opinion that these are professionals, they know what they need to do and they shouldn't need someone chirping at them.  Tatum's weakness comes from his attempts to do too much, not too little.  Brad has told him he doesn't need to score 40 points a game just because Jaylen or Kemba are out, he needs to make everybody else better.  That's preaching good team ball to Jayson.  At 23 years old, however, can he do it?  How old was LeBron before he became more than just the best player on the team/league and became the player he is now, a facilitator and floor general?

For those who want Danny fired, the inclusion of Brad in trade ideas and/or signings would be a baby step in that direction since in increases the input Danny weighs and Wyc will weight Brad's opinion heavily.  Danny won't actually be fired but, if Jackie Mac is right about that, he's not going to be a solo Mad Scientist anymore either. Talk about accountability, it puts Brad in the barrel with Danny.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu May 13, 2021 12:43 am

I have said from before the season started that there was a huge hole left when Gordon decided to leave this team. Most people agreed. It is the fools that post silly things on twitter who really had no idea how valuable he was to this team that she is referring to. Some people were absolutely ignorant about his ability. So, who she is referring to are probably reporters here in boston who ripped him constantly until he was gone.

I feel this team really needs to look in the mirror at themselves. What they will see, if they are honest, is not someone they are happy with. Where do we go from here? Well, just like other times, we start again. We have 2 young guys who need to take responsibility for some of what has happened. No matter how good they are, If they want to be true Celtics, their job is to make others around them better. They have not done that. I am as disappointed as many here, and. I firmly believe this team needs a real kick in the rear.

Danny? Sire he bears responsibility, Brad too. Who knows what Wyc is thinking right about now, but he has just signed these 2 kids to major money, and was happy to do it, so maybe he bears responsibility too,

I am from the old school, I am willing to play out whatever will be, and then sit and wait for some fireworks after the season ends. No matter what, it will make me sad I am sure as I am fond of this team. Oh well, i have rattled on enough for this season, time will tell. See you on the. Flip side

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 13, 2021 5:40 am

Gordon Hayward can never make it healthy to the finish line/playoffs, might want to check on that Jackie?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu May 13, 2021 8:01 am

From what I have read, they are not sure when he will/if he will even make it back for the playoffs. This is one thing with him, he takes forever to recuperate, I am not taking all that she is writing as gospel she has been wrong too many times lately for me to take it all for real
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu May 13, 2021 9:43 am

And another guy who can never get his sh.t together is Robert I’m the next Javele McGee Williams. If Romeo has a 3rd year like RWill this year, I’d cut him loose. Do we keep a 12 minute a game 5 going forward, can he even do that?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu May 13, 2021 11:45 am

Jackie Mac has a long and well earned history of telling it like it is.

When it comes to the Celtics, she's probably better connected than any member of the media.

She's most likely right. As usual.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu May 13, 2021 11:51 am

Jackie seems to be playing into the just some tweaks mentality. Everybody's to blame so just spread it around and don't be too crazy. The problem comes with the fact that if/when you make moves, you have no clue as to whether they worked out until it's too late.

This season for example. We thought at the beginning of the season we had the good pieces for a championship run. Things would start off slow then progress and peak at playoff time. Hayward left. Injuries. Covid. We added some mid-season, shipped a few off. Now we're left with a flaming bag 'o pooh. Too late to do anything. Never saw this coming.

Actually the team performed pretty much like those on this site predicted except for this charade meltdown at the end. We did start slow and built somewhat, but the conclusion is going in the complete opposite direction.

We know the team will get blown up this summer. That happens every year pretty much in a high turnover sport with a 4-year average shelf live. The question will be the degree. A core will be kept. All the rest go on the hot seat. That leaves the coach and Danny. I just can't see both of them escaping or ducking out of the aftermath of this complete collapse at the end and coming out with jobs here next season.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 am

Gordon was/is a great player, but I don't buy the argument that his leaving explains such a large part of the Celtics' recent demise. He was injured or otherwise out for a huge chunk of his tenure here and the Celtics still won. A lot. It's that simple. This is not knock on Gordon at all - I think he could absolutely help this team in a big way - but I am surprised Jackie offered such a lazy, easily debunked analysis.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri May 14, 2021 10:20 am

Shamrock....+1
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down