NBA to bring back Las Vegas Summer League in August; Boston Celtics to participate

4 posters

Go down

NBA to bring back Las Vegas Summer League in August; Boston Celtics to participate Empty NBA to bring back Las Vegas Summer League in August; Boston Celtics to participate

Post by bobheckler Sat May 22, 2021 11:52 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-bring-back-las-vegas-192457805.html

NBA to bring back Las Vegas Summer League in August; Boston Celtics to participate

Justin Quinn
Fri, May 21, 2021, 12:24 PM

The annual tradition of having an NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, Nevada is returning this August, with the Boston Celtics reportedly planning on being one of the 30 teams of the league to participate.

The Athletic’s Shams Charania relates all of the NBA’s teams will take part in the revived offseason developmental tradition put on hold for a summer after the impact of COVID-19 forced its temporary shuttering after the coronavirus pandemic swept the world in the middle of the 2019-20 season. Charania notes all teams will play at least five games between August 8 to 17 with the Summer League championship game to be held on August 17.

The Celtics have two young players on the roster from the 2020 NBA draft in need of some run in Payton Pritchard and Aaron Nesmith, and several younger players from recent drafts before that whose career with Boston may be in need of some convincing moving forward.

They may also have as many as two new draftees incoming, so it could be a pretty interesting outing for Boston and fans of the team.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I don't see where PP and AN's careers in Boston need some "convincing".  I'm convinced.  Pritchard's >1000 regular season minutes this year is worth far more than competing against lesser talent in summer league will gain him, although it might make it easier for him to focus on his floor generalship.  Nesmith will kill all those fresh-eyed recent college graduates.  The others, like Edwards and Grant and Tacko and Waters, might need more than just some "convincing".  In the case of Edwards I want him to have another "Holy Cow!" summer league, so that Danny get get some value for him.  The others?  I'm good with them gone too, if it comes to that.  Tacko's fun to watch, and he's head-and-shoulders better than he was at summer league 2 years ago (no pun intended), but he's still marginal and doesn't seem to have a great feel for the game.  Waters is inconsistent, and that wasn't helped by missing last year's G-league games (same with Tacko).  If summer league helps him settle down into consistency he could be interesting since we need depth at floor general.  Grant?  He stays, he goes, whatever.  What about Semi?

By having summer league August 8-17 that only puts them a month behind normal schedule and won't effect the start of the regular season much, since nobody gives a damn if rookies are tired or not.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA to bring back Las Vegas Summer League in August; Boston Celtics to participate Empty Re: NBA to bring back Las Vegas Summer League in August; Boston Celtics to participate

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 22, 2021 3:40 pm

Glad this is coming back. For whatever it is worth, it gets their feet wet in the pro game. I can remember Jaylen's rookie year and how impressed we were. Then, he took Jason under his wing the next year. It is good for these young guys. If there had been something where the rookies of last year could have attended, I believe it may have been beneficial. I wonder what will go on with the G League, Waters and Tacko could have benefited in keeping up on their in game skills more with a run up to Maine every now and then
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

NBA to bring back Las Vegas Summer League in August; Boston Celtics to participate Empty Re: NBA to bring back Las Vegas Summer League in August; Boston Celtics to participate

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat May 22, 2021 4:22 pm

Tacko doesn’t play with enough fire or force, I understand you’ve been big your whole life and don’t want to foul, but be more aggressive, be the instigator. We need a big man coach, he should be banging people like Ricky Mahorn....then he’ll get minutes and be more productive.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat May 22, 2021 5:54 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Tacko doesn’t play with enough fire or force, I understand you’ve been big your whole life and don’t want to foul, but be more aggressive, be the instigator. We need a big man coach, he should be banging people like Ricky Mahorn....then he’ll get minutes and be more productive.

Cow,

Rick Mahorn would foul out in < 10 minutes in today's NBA. He'd stick his fat ass into somebody and they'd call him on it.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun May 23, 2021 12:21 pm

I do not see where having the Summer League again helps the Celtics that much this time around. They really needed it last summer with 5 one year players and 2 more rookies added to the roster. (Langford, G Williams, Edwards, Waters and Fall) plus Nesmith and Pritchard.

With a first and 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft Danny can increase his prospects roster up to 9.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down