Statue of Boston Celtics legend Bob Cousy to be unveiled at Worcester DCU Center

2 posters

Go down

Statue of Boston Celtics legend Bob Cousy to be unveiled at Worcester DCU Center Empty Statue of Boston Celtics legend Bob Cousy to be unveiled at Worcester DCU Center

Post by Shamrock1000 Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:07 am

https://www.masslive.com/worcester/2021/06/statue-of-boston-celtics-legend-bob-cousy-to-be-unveiled-at-worcester-dcu-center.html

The city of Worcester next week will honor Boston Celtics legend Bob Cousy with the unveiling of a statue at the DCU Center.

Cousy played college ball at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester before going on to play with the Celtics. He has also called Worcester home for more than 70 years, officials said.

The statue in honor of Cousy, which was sculpted by Omri Amrany, will be unveiled during a ceremony at 2 p.m. on Friday, June 18 at the DCU Center at 50 Foster St.

Cousy, also known as “Cooz,” is considered one of the best guards to play basketball, particularly known for a signature move of a behind-the-back transfer of the basketball when driving to the hoop. He played for the Celtics from 1950 to 1963.

The icon’s number, 14, was retired by the Celtics and Cousy was inducted into the NBA Hall of Fame.

During his retirement, Cousy published an autobiography, was a color analyst for the Celtics, coached the Boston College men’s basketball team for several years and coached in the NBA. In August 2019, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Last month, Cousy joyfully announced the words “play ball!” at the first Worcester Red Sox home game at Polar Park.

Cousy’s wife, Missie, died in 2013. His daughters, Ticia and Marie, plan to be in attendance for the unveiling on Friday.

Michael Gorman, Cousy’s former colleague, will emcee the event. Officials including Gov. Charlie Baker, Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito, Attorney General Maura Healey, Mayor Joseph M. Petty, District 2 Councilor Candy Mero-Carlson and City Manager Edward M. Augustus, Jr. are scheduled to speak at the unveiling, along with Civic Center Commission Chair John Harrity and outgoing College of the Holy Cross President Rev. Philip Boroughs.

Additionally, the ceremony will also feature Celtics owners Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca; one of Cousy’s former teammates, Tom “Satch” Sanders; and longtime sportswriter and author Bob Ryan, who wrote the book, “Cousy and the Celtic Mystique.”

Members of the public are welcome at the ceremony.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Statue of Boston Celtics legend Bob Cousy to be unveiled at Worcester DCU Center Empty Re: Statue of Boston Celtics legend Bob Cousy to be unveiled at Worcester DCU Center

Post by bobc33 Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:41 pm

I will be attending. If anyone else is let me know I’ll meet you there.

Back to top Go down