Chris Mannix: Celtics need to 'circle Trail Blazers like a vulture'

+3
Ktron
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Chris Mannix: Celtics need to 'circle Trail Blazers like a vulture' Empty Chris Mannix: Celtics need to 'circle Trail Blazers like a vulture'

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:05 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chris-mannix-celtics-circle-trail-003544455.html

Justin Leger
Wed, July 21, 2021, 5:35 PM
Mannix: Celtics need to 'circle Trail Blazers like a vulture' originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

As our own Chris Forsberg recently explained, the Boston Celtics trading for Portland Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard this offseason is a pipe dream.

But what about during the regular season?

If Lillard remains with the Trail Blazers in 2021-22, all eyes will be on Portland as it could opt to part ways with the 31-year-old All-Star and other pieces after a slow start. If you ask Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix, this should be a focus for president of basketball operations Brad Stevens and the Celtics.

Forsberg: Two paths for Celtics in finding their Jrue Holiday
"If you're Boston, you are just circling the Portland Trail Blazers like a vulture," Mannix said Wednesday on Early Edition. "You are just watching them and seeing what they do, because maybe Damian Lillard comes back next year to that team, but that's not a good team.

"And if that team starts out like 11-20 or something as we get into January, they are going to be looking to make a move. And if they're looking to make a move and blow that whole thing up, I want to be first in line for either Damian Lillard or CJ McCollum with assets in hand when they decide to make that deal."

Any trade bringing Lillard to Boston likely would have to include All-Star wing Jaylen Brown. Would that kind of deal be wise of the Celtics?

"If you're talking Damian Lillard, yes. If you're talking CJ McCollum, that's a deeper conversation," Mannix said, much to the chagrin of Forsberg.

"[Lillard] just turned 31 as a top-six player," Mannix added. "You can't have enough of those guys, give me a break. Your window is right now. When you have a team like that looking to make a deal, you want to be out there with your assets and there's only so many teams that the Blazers can trade Damian Lillard to.

"They're not trading him to Orlando. It's gonna be a discussion with Damian Lillard where he wants to go to, and that would be a championship-level team he wants to play for. That would be Boston, Philadelphia, maybe Golden State. There's only a handful of teams I think could make a serious run at Damian Lillard."

Lillard recently addressed the rumors of him wanting out of Portland, saying he "hasn't made any firm decision" on his future.

Bob
MY NOTE:  "Lillard for Jaylen" is a discussion that is ongoing on this board but how about the rest of the team?  

In no particular order:

Enes Kanter - UFA
Robert Covington - $13M, final year then UFA
Carmelo Anthony - UFA
Anfernee Simons - $3.9M, last year, RFA next year.  3 year pro
Derrick Jones, Jr. - $9.7M Player Option (not yet exercised).  UFA after that.
Nassir Little - $2.3M.  $4.2M Team Option next year.  21 years old.  Entering 3rd NBA season.
CJ McCollum - BIG BUCKS, and they'll want Smart or Jaylen.  I say N.O.
Harry Giles - UFA, $1.7M last year, 23 years old, teammate and good friend of Tatum's at Duke
Jusuf Nurkic - $12M.  Final year.  UFA after that.
Norman Powell - UFA.  Averaged $10+M/year.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - UFA, $245K last year (NOT a typo), 26 years old
Zach Collins - RFA, $5.4M last year

Covington would be nice, I don't know if we can get him.  Harry Giles is an underachiever, although with the right team and system?  Powell is out of our price range.  Zach Collins anyone?  Other than that the thing that jumps out at me the most is how many players they have that are either UFAs or are in their last contract year.  A LOT of salary cap question marks moving forward for them.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Chris Mannix: Celtics need to 'circle Trail Blazers like a vulture' Empty Re: Chris Mannix: Celtics need to 'circle Trail Blazers like a vulture'

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:06 pm

we have just gotten out from under a massive contract with Kemba, everyone complained for two years about that. Lillard's contract is huge. his last year would feed a small country. Why in the world would they want that contract????? There has to be a better way to add a good guard to our team without bankrupting the rest of the team. Giving up Jaylen for Lilliard is not a deal I think will be the answer. Kind of tired of these reporters trying to put Jaylen in any trade they think is "the answer" when he may be "the answer" already. I firmly believe he has not hit his ceiling, and we are going to be even more surprised with his improvement next year.

Mannix is a smart guy in a lot of ways, as is Fosberg. I think they are all trying to become Bill Simmons, then they really will become a tough read at times. Ego's take over, and I am not sure any of them will be "team first" theories. ME first, that is where we are heading
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Chris Mannix: Celtics need to 'circle Trail Blazers like a vulture' Empty Re: Chris Mannix: Celtics need to 'circle Trail Blazers like a vulture'

Post by Ktron Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:41 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chris-mannix-celtics-circle-trail-003544455.html

Justin Leger
Wed, July 21, 2021, 5:35 PM
Mannix: Celtics need to 'circle Trail Blazers like a vulture' originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

As our own Chris Forsberg recently explained, the Boston Celtics trading for Portland Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard this offseason is a pipe dream.

But what about during the regular season?

If Lillard remains with the Trail Blazers in 2021-22, all eyes will be on Portland as it could opt to part ways with the 31-year-old All-Star and other pieces after a slow start. If you ask Sports Illustrated's Chris Mannix, this should be a focus for president of basketball operations Brad Stevens and the Celtics.

Forsberg: Two paths for Celtics in finding their Jrue Holiday
"If you're Boston, you are just circling the Portland Trail Blazers like a vulture," Mannix said Wednesday on Early Edition. "You are just watching them and seeing what they do, because maybe Damian Lillard comes back next year to that team, but that's not a good team.

"And if that team starts out like 11-20 or something as we get into January, they are going to be looking to make a move. And if they're looking to make a move and blow that whole thing up, I want to be first in line for either Damian Lillard or CJ McCollum with assets in hand when they decide to make that deal."

Any trade bringing Lillard to Boston likely would have to include All-Star wing Jaylen Brown. Would that kind of deal be wise of the Celtics?

"If you're talking Damian Lillard, yes. If you're talking CJ McCollum, that's a deeper conversation," Mannix said, much to the chagrin of Forsberg.

"[Lillard] just turned 31 as a top-six player," Mannix added. "You can't have enough of those guys, give me a break. Your window is right now. When you have a team like that looking to make a deal, you want to be out there with your assets and there's only so many teams that the Blazers can trade Damian Lillard to.

"They're not trading him to Orlando. It's gonna be a discussion with Damian Lillard where he wants to go to, and that would be a championship-level team he wants to play for. That would be Boston, Philadelphia, maybe Golden State. There's only a handful of teams I think could make a serious run at Damian Lillard."

Lillard recently addressed the rumors of him wanting out of Portland, saying he "hasn't made any firm decision" on his future.

Bob
MY NOTE:  "Lillard for Jaylen" is a discussion that is ongoing on this board but how about the rest of the team?  

In no particular order:

Enes Kanter - UFA
Robert Covington - $13M, final year then UFA
Carmelo Anthony - UFA
Anfernee Simons - $3.9M, last year, RFA next year.  3 year pro
Derrick Jones, Jr. - $9.7M Player Option (not yet exercised).  UFA after that.
Nassir Little - $2.3M.  $4.2M Team Option next year.  21 years old.  Entering 3rd NBA season.
CJ McCollum - BIG BUCKS, and they'll want Smart or Jaylen.  I say N.O.
Harry Giles - UFA, $1.7M last year, 23 years old, teammate and good friend of Tatum's at Duke
Jusuf Nurkic - $12M.  Final year.  UFA after that.
Norman Powell - UFA.  Averaged $10+M/year.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - UFA, $245K last year (NOT a typo), 26 years old
Zach Collins - RFA, $5.4M last year

Covington would be nice, I don't know if we can get him.  Harry Giles is an underachiever, although with the right team and system?  Powell is out of our price range.  Zach Collins anyone?  Other than that the thing that jumps out at me the most is how many players they have that are either UFAs or are in their last contract year.  A LOT of salary cap question marks moving forward for them.

No to CJ for Smart? (Trailblazers wouldn’t do it straight up anyway)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:21 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:we have just gotten out from under a massive contract with Kemba, everyone complained for two years about that.  Lillard's contract is huge.  his last year would feed a small country.  Why in the world would they want that contract?????  There has to be a better way to add a good guard to our team without bankrupting the rest of the team.  Giving up Jaylen for Lilliard is not a deal I think will be the answer.  Kind of tired of these reporters trying to put Jaylen in any trade they think is "the answer" when he may be "the answer" already. I firmly believe he has not hit his ceiling, and we are going to be even more surprised with his improvement next year.

Mannix is a smart guy in a lot of ways, as is Fosberg.  I think they are all trying to become Bill Simmons, then they really will become a tough read at times. Ego's take over, and  I am not sure any of them will be "team first" theories. ME first, that is where we are heading

+1

Lillard is a pipe dream.

#jaylenaintgoinganywhere

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:56 pm

Anyone who thinks we should trade Jaylen for Lillard is a full blown idiot.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:27 pm

Forget about it.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:55 am

Yeah, have to agree here. Now, Lillard for all our bits and pieces? All in.

We will know here very soon where Brad's Head is at. Big 2 with some more waiting for maturity and growth or a more traditional Big 3. The suspense is killing me!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down