Kyle Korver becomes assistant coach with Nets, who once traded him for copy machine

2 posters

Go down

Kyle Korver becomes assistant coach with Nets, who once traded him for copy machine Empty Kyle Korver becomes assistant coach with Nets, who once traded him for copy machine

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:23 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyle-korver-assistant-coach-nets-trade-copy-machine-214250506.html

Kyle Korver becomes assistant coach with Nets, who once traded him for copy machine

Jack Baer

Thu, August 12, 2021, 2:42 PM·2 min read

Kyle Korver's lengthy NBA career has come to an end, and he already has a job lined up.

The veteran sharpshooter has joined the Brooklyn Nets as an assistant coach specializing in player development, according to The Athletic's Shams Charania.

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
After 17 NBA seasons, one-time All-Star Kyle Korver is joining the Brooklyn Nets as a player development assistant coach on Steve Nash's staff, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.
1:52 PM · Aug 12, 2021

The move brings Korver's playing days to a close after 17 seasons spent with six different teams. He currently sits at No. 4 on the NBA's all-time 3-pointers list with 2,450 and No. 10 in 3-point percentage at 42.9 percent, making him one of the greatest perimeter shooters in the history of the league.

Korver, who averaged 9.7 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.7 assists per game in his career, will reunite with Nets guard Kyrie Irving, who overlapped with him on the Cleveland Cavaliers for a season. He will also re-join the organization that originally drafted in the second round of the 2003 NBA draft before trading him to the Philadelphia 76ers.

According to Korver, though, the Nets — then known as the New Jersey Nets — didn't exactly get huge value for him. Here's how he told it after hearing his name called with the 51st overall pick:

"I found out shortly afterwards that I had been traded to Philly. I'm not sure if 'traded' is the right word, I was more or less sold for an undisclosed amount of money. I later found out that they used that money to pay for the entry fee for the Summer League team, and with the leftover money, they bought a copy machine. What's your trade value? Apparently, mine is a copy machine. But it's OK, because a couple of years ago, that copy machine broke."

Korver would never play for the Nets in his career, but there were apparently no hard feelings. He will certainly be joining an organization with a use for his specific expertise, as the Nets ranked in the top 10 in 3-point rate on their field goal attempts last season.

Bob
MY NOTE:

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kyle Korver becomes assistant coach with Nets, who once traded him for copy machine Empty Re: Kyle Korver becomes assistant coach with Nets, who once traded him for copy machine

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:25 pm

It appears that former assistant coach Jamie Young of the Celtics has rejoined Doc Rivers in Philly as an assistant.  He was with the Celtics for over 20 years, starting in the video room and working his way up the ladder to assistant coach under Doc here in Boston.

Good luck to him, he was a great guy, having met him several times over the years. I wish him nothing but the best.

Wonder where Jay Laranaga will land. I am sure he will sign with someone as he has a terrific basketball mind. He was the coach who worked with Jason Tatum on his game over the last fojol

Good luck Jamie, will miss seeing you on the bench.

after writing this, I saw that Larranaga will be joining Ty Lue with the Clippers as an assistant coach
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down