Report: Lakers star Anthony Davis was frustrated with Dennis Schroder’s passing

+2
gyso
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Report: Lakers star Anthony Davis was frustrated with Dennis Schroder’s passing Empty Report: Lakers star Anthony Davis was frustrated with Dennis Schroder’s passing

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:32 am

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-lakers-star-anthony-davis-033651549.html

Report: Lakers star Anthony Davis was frustrated with Dennis Schroder’s passing

Dan Feldman
Wed, September 1, 2021, 8:36 PM·2 min read

Assists to Lakers star Anthony Davis per 36 minutes playing with him:

Rajon Rondo in 2019-20: 4.3

Dennis Schroder in 2020-21: 2.1

With one point guard assisting him twice as frequently as the other, Davis noticed.

Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report:

Per an NBA source familiar with some of the Lakers’ struggles through the 2020-21 campaign, Davis felt some frustration that he wasn’t getting the kind of looks in the post with Dennis Schroder running the point compared to those he received with Rondo a year earlier.

It’s understandable Davis got frustrated. Though he has improved at creating his own shots, for a high-scoring star, he’s heavily reliant on getting set up.

Rondo is a savvy passer with chemistry with Davis from when they played together with the Pelicans. Schroder is not that level of a distributor, and he might have had some tunnel vision toward the basket in a contract year last season.

Returning to the Lakers, Rondo could boost Davis more than Schroder did.

But that’s not the whole story.

The Lakers scored way more efficiently when Davis and Schroder shared the court last season (114.7 points per 100 possessions) than when Davis and Rondo shared the court the prior season (103.9 points per 100 possessions).

The difference was even more pronounced with LeBron James on the floor. Lakers’ offensive rating with…

Rondo, LeBron and Davis: 92.6

Schroder, LeBron and Davis: 116.3

Rondo’s lack of scoring and floor spacing are impediments. Setting up Davis is only one element of the offense.

To be fair, Rondo stepped up in the 2020 playoffs. The Lakers scored 113.7 points per 100 possessions with Rondo, LeBron and Davis sharing the floor that postseason.

The Lakers also won’t ask as much of Rondo this time around. Los Angeles has Russell Westbrook and Kendrick Nunn at point guard. Rondo’s ability to create shots for Davis provides significant value in some situations.

But – while Davis will welcome back Rondo – the Lakers ought to be careful not to miss the forest for the trees with Rondo’s offense.

Bob
MY NOTE:  This article makes Dennis Schroder look better, certainly a good fit for us.  It makes him look more "democratic" in his floor generalship, which irritated Davis who wanted more touches, but will fit in really well with Ime's strategy of "ball movement offense".  Despite the frustration by one of the two Laker superstars the Lakers still offered Schroder a very nice longterm contract.  That tells me Davis' frustration wasn't too bad and they recognized what Schroder did for their offense (no matter how Davis felt).  I don't care about whether the Lakers will miss Schroder or not because they now have Westbrook and Nunn and Rondo, it's all good for us. I hope he excels for us this year so Brad can do a sign-and-trade with him for Beal.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: Lakers star Anthony Davis was frustrated with Dennis Schroder’s passing Empty Re: Report: Lakers star Anthony Davis was frustrated with Dennis Schroder’s passing

Post by gyso Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:48 am

The team was better on offense with Schroder than it was with Rondo.  Schroder's defense is better as well.

And Anthony Davis still complains?

I me me mine.

Back to top Go down

Report: Lakers star Anthony Davis was frustrated with Dennis Schroder’s passing Empty Re: Report: Lakers star Anthony Davis was frustrated with Dennis Schroder’s passing

Post by worcester Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:49 am

Good thinking Bob. Let Schroder be the basis for a sign and trade for Beal.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:37 am

gyso wrote:The team was better on offense with Schroder than it was with Rondo.  Schroder's defense is better as well.

I me me mine.

There's an appropriate take on this one.

It seems like many articles written on Davis start with something to the effect of 'Davis frustrated with...'
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:45 am

worcester wrote:Good thinking Bob. Let Schroder be the basis for a sign and trade for Beal.

worcester,

If Washington trades Beal they will be in the market for a scoring guard who can also run an offense, especially since John Wall and Russell Westbrook are both gone. Sign Schroder to something close to the $20M/year he turned down from LA and that gets us most of the way to matching Beal's contract.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:01 pm

bobheckler wrote:
worcester wrote:Good thinking Bob. Let Schroder be the basis for a sign and trade for Beal.

worcester,

If Washington trades Beal they will be in the market for a scoring guard who can also run an offense, especially since John Wall and Russell Westbrook are both gone.  Sign Schroder to something close to the $20M/year he turned down from LA and that gets us most of the way to matching Beal's contract.

Bob

Guys,

Teams are limited by the cap rules when trying to sign a contract. It doesn't make any difference whether it's a sign and keep or a sign and trade, the signing part falls under the same rules. They are allowed to give Schroder a 120% raise or fit him into an exception of some kind. We have no Bird rights exception. We do have the full-MLE, but that hard caps us and the team is trying not to do that. It limits flexibility.

Sorry, Dennis Schroder can only be a minor part of a deal for a big fish. He's an expiring contract and he will never re-sign for what the Celtics can offer.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:11 pm

gyso wrote:The team was better on offense with Schroder than it was with Rondo.  Schroder's defense is better as well.

I me me mine.

Davis wanted more shors.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:00 pm

I me me mine.

Screw “Mr. Street clothes”. If he’s blaming Dennis than he really is the player I thought he was. Lanky lowlife Whiner!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down