Report: NBA to Eliminate Automatic Reviews for Out-of-Bounds Calls

+4
prakash
wideclyde
gyso
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Report: NBA to Eliminate Automatic Reviews for Out-of-Bounds Calls Empty Report: NBA to Eliminate Automatic Reviews for Out-of-Bounds Calls

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:02 am

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/09/13/nba-eliminates-automatic-reviews-out-of-bounds-calls?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm

Report: NBA to Eliminate Automatic Reviews for Out-of-Bounds Calls

MICHAEL SHAPIRO

The NBA altered its pace-of-play policies on Monday afternoon, eliminating automatic reviews on all out-of-bounds plays in the final two minutes, per The Athletic's Shams Charania.

Coach's challenges will now be the only method to review out-of-bounds calls, per Charania. Teams are currently permitted one challenge per game, a rule that has been in place since 2019.

Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
This will eliminate the prolonged stoppages that occur at times late in NBA games.
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
Sources: The NBA Board of Governors will vote this month to approve the Coach’s Challenge being the lone method to review out-of-bounds calls with under two minutes left in games, meaning out-of-bounds plays will no longer be automatically triggered for officials.
2:42 PM · Sep 13, 2021

The elimination of automatic reviews wasn't the only alteration discussed by the league's competition committee on Monday. The NBA is also reportedly considering an in-season tournament, with players potentially earning up to $1 million in prize money. No vote has been taken on any potential tournament as of Monday.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report: NBA to Eliminate Automatic Reviews for Out-of-Bounds Calls Empty Re: Report: NBA to Eliminate Automatic Reviews for Out-of-Bounds Calls

Post by gyso Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:46 am

In season tournament? Sure, let the 8 - 12 worst teams have a go at it. The 16 best teams (now 18 with the play in) already have an end of season tournament thing going.

I'm all for being inclusive. Spread the wealth.

Back to top Go down

Report: NBA to Eliminate Automatic Reviews for Out-of-Bounds Calls Empty Re: Report: NBA to Eliminate Automatic Reviews for Out-of-Bounds Calls

Post by wideclyde Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:19 pm

Elimination of said "in season" reviews on out-of-bounds calls in the last two minutes of a game may save about 3 minutes of watching time which is OK with me, but it is not the stuff that makes or breaks an NBA game. Kind of not really worth mentioning?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:59 am

I don't know about the time saving but I like this step as it eliminates the unofficial timeout that teams get. Adds a little more complexity to game management.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:10 am

I couldn't care less about the time saving and would prefer they do whatever is necessary to make sure they get the calls right. I don't want to lose by a basket after an incorrect out of bounds call, of which there are many.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:10 am

jrleftfoot wrote:I couldn't care less about the time saving and would prefer they do whatever is necessary to make sure they get the calls right. I don't want to lose by a basket after an incorrect out of bounds call, of which there are many.
I totally agree.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 am

how about limiting the amount of time referee's can spend at the "review table" looking at 16 different angles of one play It is like they are afraid of making the wrong decision but half the time do. Ref's should be under a bigger microscope
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:01 pm

Never ending nonsense. The geniuses continue to try and perfect something thats never ever going to be perfect. It is a game (‘decided by skill, strength and luck’) and its called that for a reason. Games will never be perfect and thats part of the fun. How bout leaving it alone and let it play.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down