NBA Legends And Players Explain How SCARY GOOD Larry Bird Was

4 posters

Go down

NBA Legends And Players Explain How SCARY GOOD Larry Bird Was Empty NBA Legends And Players Explain How SCARY GOOD Larry Bird Was

Post by worcester Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:39 am

Watch "NBA Legends And Players Explain How SCARY GOOD Larry Bird Was" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/KNpoT_O_yPw
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

NBA Legends And Players Explain How SCARY GOOD Larry Bird Was Empty Re: NBA Legends And Players Explain How SCARY GOOD Larry Bird Was

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:44 pm

There was something special about Larry from day 1, all I’d want to read about was how he was doing in his first camp as a rookie. Then I remember Peter Vecsey had an article in the NY Post that Bird had arrived, when he came to Madison Square Garden in the exhibition season and put up 36 and a clinic against the Knicks. Back then MSG was considered the Mecca of the game. Vecsey was already writing about the greatness/boldness that he just showed so early and what was to come. He put on an amazing Bird-like clinic already so soon, I really wasn’t expecting that. Then I had to see every boxscore his rookie year and read about the game and was amazed he could carry us and make players so much better as a rookie. As a rookie he always made the extra pass, hustled all over the place and sacrificed his body manically on the boards. He seemed to score enough, but he never dominated the ball, as he would later. The wins just magically kept coming as a rookie. My favorite games were his 20 rebound games in the playoffs as a rook, was amazing to me at the time.

I was a huge Havlicek fan, then in awe of Dr J’s talent, running ability and hang time, then Bird came and was amazed how he could hold his own and out play the great Dr J so soon as he entered the league. He could do so many more things than Hondo and Dr J. Then as he went into his peak years, he would bludgeon the Dr; he added the clutch gene, his left hand got so good, he just put on a clinic all the time. Took the game to the highest level, 84-88 from 27 to 31, he was so great, the trash talking, the big clutch shots, the degree of difficulty on his shots, the way he would battle. I put those 5 years against any player in history.

Thanks Larry, what a great ride!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

NBA Legends And Players Explain How SCARY GOOD Larry Bird Was Empty Re: NBA Legends And Players Explain How SCARY GOOD Larry Bird Was

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:36 am

All true, cowens. To me, Bird was the most exciting player ever. It was so sad that his back gave out on him. I love watching videos of him on youtube and the reactions of youngsters that never saw him play
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 am

To me the epitome of Larry's career was when I saw him hit the court with his head, which actually bounced off the parquet, and then after a brief absence from play, he returned to the court. I would have been in the Emergency Ward.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:40 am

People tend to forget just how great he was. If only he had not gotten hurt, we would have had a few more years of total enjoyment watching him play. The ultimate trash talker, he backed up everything he said. A true Celtic and a joy to watch
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:45 am

He was just so dominant as a big that took it and dished it out, diving all over the place and on offense so clever and creative and could kill you and slice and dice you up so many ways.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down