Post Game Thread - Celtics Holdoff Toronto 91 - 87

5 posters

Go down

Post Game Thread - Celtics Holdoff Toronto 91 - 87 Empty Post Game Thread - Celtics Holdoff Toronto 91 - 87

Post by dboss Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Sinus said he did not want to start a post game thread so I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

My overall view through 3 games is that Dr. Rivers is having fun oiling this monster that Danny Ainge has created and is about to be unleased on NBA.

During Training camp we heard 'rumors' that KG was running the floor and moving like he was prior to his injury. These rumors have turned into reality as KG looks fit. He is running the court, rotating on help defense, barking out orders, in an attempt to regain his position as the difference maker in how well the Celtics do.

JON got his first taste of home cooking and played surprising well in 7 minutes especially on the defensive end. At one point in the game when him and KG were playing together their weak side help defense was magnificiant.

Shaq has turned into a fouling nmachine. I do not recall him ever being foul prone. I expect this to go away as he learns and buys into the way The Celtics play defrense. On offense we have seen his ability to score in the post and of particular surprise was to see Rondo hit him with the alley opp where he flushed it with one hand. So... Shaq looks pretty good to me...still has some hops....because he lost wieght.

Both Ray and PP have taken limited roles as far as the focus of the team is concerned. Both look trim and ready for another go at it. I think both of them are starting to realize how deep the team is.

I sure hope Rondo continues to take those jumpers. Last night he knocked down three of them including a buzzer beater from the corner with the shot clock winding down. Rondo is actually licking his chops as he comtemplates being the best Point guard in the NBA. That is a tall order but that is his publically stated goal. To be the best at his position. That begins with more assists. Last year he flirted with 10 + per but this year his goal must be loftier especially with the addition of 2 centers that both know how to score. And it will be interesting to see how doc pairs Rondo with Nate and Delonte West.

Nate and D West have been balling. Flat out balling. Is there another team in the NBA that has two interchangeable guards coming off the bench that have that much game between them? The chemistry between them is unusual given how long they have played together. But maybe that is the design, DA pulled D West back because he knew West can play and would fit right back in just like he never left. And as for Nate, his commitment to playing the PG, making the sacrafices and running the offense is like nite and day compared to where he was last year. And just as we are getting a good look at these two here comes the news that our #1 pick AB has been given the ok to practice. Guess we will get to see him too before this excercise is complete.

Even when MD plays well he really never looks like he is playing as hard as he could or as fast as he could. You ever noticed that? But he just seems to do what he needs to do on the court to secure that vital SF rotation. Nevertheless the SF position remains somewhat of a question mark becasue I keep waiting to hear that MD got injured. All which brings me to my next observation about Lasme. There is something kinda smug about wafer. I know you should not judge a book by its cover but he is just starting to understand that he may be headed back to Europe. Last night he did show some flashes in getting to the rim but we have yet to see that 3 pt shot that was touted when Boston signed him. Good thing the contract was not guaranteed because he ani't making the team. That leaves the other West and Lasme.

Lasme may be the most athletc 3 at 6'8" that we have seen since Cedirc Maxwell played for Boston. I like his defense, rebounding and shot blocking ability. His offensive game is not that good but he could excell in an uptempo game when the bench comes in and runs. He could be very valuable as a third layer of insurance behind Paul Pierce. And if MD was out a few game you could see him move into the rotation.

Baby was just crying out for attention when he told everybody he did not know what his role was. This year he appears to be trimmer, faster, stronger, more confident in what he wants to do on the court. His defense continues to improve because he is really moving his feet and playing great position. Now that he has been here for a few years I expect to see his game go up another notch. And even with the additions of the Oneals and Erden, Baby brings a unique presence to the floor that no one else has.

Speaking of Erden. He has some really nice moves, passes the ball well but he is not strong enough to finish those moves or hold his position in the post. But after stashing him away for 2 years it makes sense to bring him in and begin his development. He could see some minutes if the Oneals are not able to play 15-20 MPG each.

Harangody has been struggling on offense because he is not used to playing at this pace. So as a result he is rushing things. As soon as he slows down a bit he'll start knocking down some shots. I do like his defense and rebounding.

And as far as Doc goes...what a great collection of players to work with. He has more combinations to work with then in any other year. The key is the 2nd unit. That unit has been significantly upgraded.

This monster will be solidified by a 3 headed center plus (perk) A heathy LG and more assertive Davis will match up well against the 4's out there, The depth and now experience at the point guard and shooting guard spots as as good as any team in the league. MD looks to atone for last year and if he can stay heathy, PP will not get burned out during the regular season.

The rooks add some nice talent in development in the third tier.

I'm looking forward to an exciting season. I think this team has more than enough talent to contend for a championship.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - Celtics Holdoff Toronto 91 - 87 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - Celtics Holdoff Toronto 91 - 87

Post by Sam Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Dboss, it looks as though you're ready to resume your post-game stewardship after your outstanding job last season. Or perhaps you'd rather do it on a more limited basis. Please let me know, because what provide is really great.

A couple of details. I've been very hopeful for Harangody, and I agree that he's rushing his shot in particular. He seems like a perfect candidate for the DL to work on his rhythm without so much pressure.

With KG apparently being back on top of his game and some accomplished scorers down low, I won't be surprised if Doc implements dual outside-in and inside-out offenses. If that happens, don't be surprised if Rondo's assist totals actually drop a bit although the team total could increase.

Although it's always fun when Rondo has a double- or triple-double, I've always felt more comfortable with the balance of the team when he doesn't dominate the stat sheet. I hope he'll be able to continue ascending to the role of team leader by doing so in ways that are not primarily statistical.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - Celtics Holdoff Toronto 91 - 87 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - Celtics Holdoff Toronto 91 - 87

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:46 am

Great post dboss,in all my years following this team I've never seen a deeper team,look how stacked we are at the 5,1,2 and 4,so many combinations,with all this depth and speed at the 1 and 2 and size at all the BIG positions I see no reason why we can't coast in a good way and wear out the opposition and at the same time not wear out the older guys who are all HoFers.With this depth and speed and theres still a young nucleus too,learning from the vets this team is so unique and will be such a force.
Agreed its great we found a physical tweener,Lasme to back up Pierce in certain match ups and in case Quis has a setback.This guy avg over 5 blocks per game in his last year in college,if he can be anything like a poor mans Dennis Rodman,what else can go our way?Oh yeah AB turns out to be the speed demon and defensive force Danny envisioned as a combo guard and loving seeing the early activity of Erden already,he can further help us.Man this depth is sick,waves and waves are ready to gell and unload.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:39 am

one thing about Lasme. He aint just fast he's explosive and i think he most resembles a bigger healthy Leon. I smile when i think of him playing with 3 starters. Wafer is gone i bet.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:58 am

Cow,

If one doesn't count whoever will be the regular bench center (I assume it will be One O'Neal or the other), the four guys most likely to be the core bench players (Davis, Nate, Quis and Delonte) have STARTED 32% of the games in which they've played.

I don't normally attach that much significance to starting as opposed to finishing. But I do think that stat (heavily weighted toward Delonte but also including contributions from the other three) demonstrates the depth of experience represented by the bench. The fact that they've kept their composure finishing games, WITHOUT a veteran at the center position), even against some starters of other teams, seems to me to be significant in at least three ways:

1. While the threat of a starter's injury is always a problem, this team seems pretty well-equipped to deal with such an eventuality without a serious dropoff in efficiency and with perhaps an increase in youthful energy.

2. Consistently matching such an experienced group with increasing chemistry against second-stringers of most other clubs has to represent a net gain in points most of the time. A rough calculation so far is that the bench has had a positive +/- figure against all comers, with an average of + 4 PPG.

3. I realize they haven't yet played a strong contender. But, at the very least, it's entirely possible that the bench strength will help avoid dangerous letdowns against the lower-tiered teams that occurred last season. And, at the very most, they could represent the victorious difference if the Celts starters simply neutralize their opponents against the very good teams.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Sam

I really enjoy doing post game threads but I also would not mind seeing some of our other board members get involved. This thread really takes a look at the roster but i would also like to take a close look at the style that the Celtics will play this year. It is very interesting to see so many possibilities on one team.

With respect to the high low game I also envision this becoming a staple for the Celtics. I'm not sure how this may impact Rajon from an assist standpoint. I guess I was really looking at the scoring depth that has been added to the team and a presumption that they will present excellent options given the great passing ability of Rajon. I think we will see games where Rondo does dominant the stat sheet but if he does that in conjunction with the game plan I have no porblem with it. Last year he had a lot of responsibilities and perhaps at times felt like he needed to take over a game when Boston was struggling. Hopefully the depth of the team will temper his perception that he must do it all.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Cow nice to hear from you.

I have a special excitement for Lasme since I graduated from UMASS. And I really think his length and athletiism can really help on the defensive end. There are a lot of really good small forwards out there to defend.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:38 pm

Where is the Philly thread game on thread? Very Happy

Bradley just played his first couple of minutes.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down