Payton Pritchard provides a crucial spark for shorthanded Celtics in win over Knicks

Go down

Payton Pritchard provides a crucial spark for shorthanded Celtics in win over Knicks Empty Payton Pritchard provides a crucial spark for shorthanded Celtics in win over Knicks

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:08 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/12/payton-pritchard-provides-a-crucial-spark-for-shorthanded-celtics-in-win-over-knicks.html

Payton Pritchard provides a crucial spark for shorthanded Celtics in win over Knicks

Updated: Dec. 18, 2021, 10:48 p.m. | Published: Dec. 18, 2021, 10:48 p.m.

Payton Pritchard provides a crucial spark for shorthanded Celtics in win over Knicks ET2VPWQ4DVEPBBRMCGTEMVCCWM
Boston Celtics guard Payton Pritchard (11) drives to the basket past New York Knicks guard Kemba Walker (Cool during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Saturday, Dec. 18, 2021, in Boston. (AP Photo/Mary Schwalm)AP

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

BOSTON -- Amid a season full of ups and downs for the Boston Celtics, Payton Pritchard has a tougher start to the year than almost anyone on Boston’s bench. The second-year guard looked to be a steal at the end of the first round in the 2020 NBA Draft with his 3-point shooting and chemistry alongside Boston’s stars.

However, those opportunities have been few and far between during the 2021-22 campaign thanks to a revamped roster with veterans and an ugly shooting start to begin the year. Outside of some heavy garbage time minutes in Portland, Pritchard had not cracked 15 minutes in a single game since October. 26 percent shooting from the field on the season (30 percent from 3) gave Ime Udoka no added incentives to play him over veterans either.

However, an opportunity has come knocking again this weekend for the Oregon product as eight different players on Boston’s roster were sidelined for Saturday’s matchup against the Knicks. That left Ime Udoka with just 10 healthy players to choose from including Bruno Fernando and newly signed 10-day signee Justin Jackson. The head coach stuck with an eight-man rotation with the shorthanded group, giving everyone 20-plus minutes including Pritchard, who took advantage of his added run almost immediately. He scored 13 of his 16 points off the bench in the second quarter alone, helping Boston’s reserves help carry the team to a much-needed 114-107 victory.

In a game that saw Boston’s stars struggle with their efficiency, Pritchard and Josh Richardson combined for 43 points on 15-of-24 shooting from the field, making the most of their opportunities.

“He is another guy we are extremely confident in,” Udoka said of Pritchard. “Obviously, one of our best shooters and the thing with that, there’s been a number crunch or a minute crunch with Dennis being the backup for most of the year. So that’s all it is. It’s nothing that Payton has done or has not done that has limited the minutes there. He’s a guy — from the same city as him, I’ve seen him in high school win state championships. Watched him in college and have extreme confidence in him, knowing when he gets the opportunity, he’s always going to be ready. It was good to see him do what he did, but not surprising.”

With the Celtics in desperate need of reliable 3-point shooting off the bench, particularly as Aaron Nesmith continues to struggle with his shot and Grant Williams sidelined, Pritchard has a chance to build a case for himself for more regular reps in the coming days. Sporadic minutes haven’t given him an easy way to break out of his funk.

“As a competitor, it is tough,” Pritchard said of his limited opportunities before Saturday’s win. “It’s a daily thing. But for me I try to go to work every day and I try to get better and better each and every day so when my opportunity comes, like tonight, I can help my team win. And that’s the only thing I can control. So for me it’s just when my opportunity comes, being ready and helping the team win.”

The opportunities should keep coming for Pritchard for at least the next couple of games for Boston. Dennis Schroder (non-COVID illness) and Romeo Langford (neck) could return next week but Udoka will still have to go with smaller lineups with Grant Williams and Al Horford both out, leading a long list of Celtics in NBA health and safety protocols.

“I mean, it’s crazy, but we’ve been dealing with this for the last two years,” Pritchard said of the roster situation. “I think now everybody is kind of like, it’s nothing new. It’s next man up and got to be ready to play. Every team is dealing with it, so you’ve got to find ways to win games and keep moving.”

It’s not clear there will be more opportunities for Pritchard again this year once this group gets back to full health with the way Schroder and Richardson are playing so the time is now for the young guard to prove he’s worth investing more playing time in again to develop as trade season continues. Saturday’s effort was a solid start on that front.

“I’ve said it all year,” Udoka said. “He stays ready, he’s extremely hungry, he’s always in the gym ready. So you’re not worried about his preparation or not being ready when the time comes.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down