This Celtics Lineup Surprisingly Has Best Defensive Rating In NBA

4 posters

Go down

This Celtics Lineup Surprisingly Has Best Defensive Rating In NBA Empty This Celtics Lineup Surprisingly Has Best Defensive Rating In NBA

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:47 am

https://nesn.com/2022/01/this-celtics-lineup-surprisingly-has-best-defensive-rating-in-nba/

This Celtics Lineup Surprisingly Has Best Defensive Rating In NBA

'Chemistry-wise we're doing a lot better'

by Alexandra Francisco

The Boston Celtics barely have a winning record, but things have been looking up in the last few days after a pretty miserable start — all expectations considered.

It’s no coincidence that team’s core is healthy and available at the same time, finally.

Only recently was Boston’s preferred starting lineup of Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Al Horford and Rob Williams able to put together 100 minutes of playing time together thanks to injuries and staggered stays in the COVID-19 protocol.

But now that group has recorded 174 minutes, and by holding opponents to 91.3 points per 100 possessions, it owns the best defensive rating in the NBA, per SportRadar.

“There’s familiarity between those guys that have been here for a while,” Celtics coach Ime Udoka said after practice Wednesday. “Obviously the physicality is up with a strong point guard, big wings, and two bigs out there. We have a size advantage. I like our versatility, physicality, connectivity.”

Getting Robert Williams and Marcus Smart were crucial in that, of course, with not only the defensive prowess both players offer, but their on-court communication.

As noted by Celtics reporter Taylor Snow, Boston’s top five defensive four-man lineups all feature Williams (among groups that have amassed at least 150 minutes played.

“It seems like the last two games with those guys back, we’ve been really good to start. But it also adds depth off the bench with Dennis (Schröder), (Josh Richardson), some of the young wings as well. Just feels like we’re more whole, coming in waves. Guys can get after it a little bit more.”

Of course, that comes at a cost to younger players at the fringe of the rotation who saw increased opportunity early on to start the season.

Aaron Nesmith is one of them, but knows what having those core players competing consistently does for the Celtics.

“Chemistry-wise we’re doing a lot better,” the sophomore wing said of Boston’s most recent two games.

“It’s good to play with a full, healthy roster — a full, healthy team. And with everybody back now, we can finally do everything that we want to do defensively and offensively.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  Turns out we're not as bad as some have opined. We just haven't been healthy and our offense has been, to state the obvious, inconsistent. In my opinion, Al Horford has not been contributing enough to our offense. What confuses me is that if you look at Al's Offensive and Defensive Ratings for this year he's a very healthy 117 on offense and solid 105 on defense, for a Net Rating of +12. Nothing wrong with those numbers and we're > halfway through the season and Al has played 1159 minutes already. So they're numbers based upon a respectable-sized number of data points. Marcus Smart, however, is having his worst offensive year since his very early ones when he couldn't throw the ball in the ocean from the edge of the pier.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

This Celtics Lineup Surprisingly Has Best Defensive Rating In NBA Empty Re: This Celtics Lineup Surprisingly Has Best Defensive Rating In NBA

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:19 am

This is very encouraging. We have another chance tonight and tomorrow to keep adding to the pile of evidence.

I also hope by reading between the lines that this all turns out to make Ime look like a genius with always going back to the 2J's, RWIII, MS and AH starting line up. In turn it makes Ktron look like the hero as he has been on all of us just to give Ime's coaching philosphy a chance to take root and not cut the cord or always make him part of the problem(s). I like and admire Ktron a lot! Ktron hasn't budged an inch on his faith in Ime's coaching ability and he's about to get paid off big time for having that faith as this new budding inflection point continues.

These games coming up need to be nothing less than a steamroll if we're for real now. Just as we surprisingly crushed SAC, teams like ATL with similar records to ours need to be dominated from minute 1 to 48. Especially on the road.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

This Celtics Lineup Surprisingly Has Best Defensive Rating In NBA Empty Re: This Celtics Lineup Surprisingly Has Best Defensive Rating In NBA

Post by Ktron Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:29 pm

dbrown4 wrote:This is very encouraging.  We have another chance tonight and tomorrow to keep adding to the pile of evidence.  

I also hope by reading between the lines that this all turns out to make Ime look like a genius with always going back to the 2J's, RWIII, MS and AH starting line up.  In turn it makes Ktron look like the hero as he has been on all of us just to give Ime's coaching philosphy a chance to take root and not cut the cord or always make him part of the problem(s).  I like and admire Ktron a lot!  Ktron hasn't budged an inch on his faith in Ime's coaching ability and he's about to get paid off big time for having that faith as this new budding inflection point continues.

These games coming up need to be nothing less than a steamroll if we're for real now.  Just as we surprisingly crushed SAC, teams like ATL with similar records to ours need to be dominated from minute 1 to 48.  Especially on the road.

db      

Thanks Dbrown. I only want to see Ime get his chance. I remember when Brad first came here, I think it was his 3rd yr when and we went down 2-0 to Chicago and numerous people (Not so much here) were calling for his head saying he hadn’t won a playoff series since he was hired blah blah blah. I thought then it was crazy knowing what he came into and what needed to be done. I even emailed NBC Boston. I cant remember the woman that was co hosting but she was all over him and I sent her a scathing (but kind) email encouraging her to back off and give the guy a chance. Never heard back but I did notice that she let up especially after we swept the remaining 4 games.
I don’t want this franchise to turn into the Sac Kings model of changing coaches because of lack of patience or whatever. Kings have had 10 coaches in 12 years. That says more about the FO than the coaches. We as fans need to me more patient. We need to give it time.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:32 pm

I recall Ime's introductory news conference along with other interviews that he participated in.

He said that his vision was to established a defensive mindset.  He wanted the team's identity to be defense first.

Although his switch everything defense may be somewhat compromised when Freedom is in the game, it appears that the players have finally  become a more singular defensive force.  The switching looks automatic.  And it is working.  So I agree with db.  Let's give Ime a thumbs up!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:49 pm

I'm going to go ahead and jump all the way on the Ktron Ktrain and say I think Ime is going to show he's a couple of years ahead of where Brad was at this same time.

He's onto something good. Real good. (You, too, Ktron!)

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:52 pm

Let's also take the trainers off the blame table while we're at it.  Here's why.

Now I'm no athlete, but about 6 months ago, I decided I didn't like the shape of my mid-section and set the goal of creating a washboard stomach.  I know, unrealistic for a 57 year old at the time, but a goal nonetheless.  

I was already regularly attending Planet Fitness and found out if you have a Black Card membership, which I had, you get a trainer who will tailor your workouts to help achieve your fitness goal. Included in your membership.  So I signed up.  

I met with the trainer, discussed goals, agreed on a plan and all I had to do was show up at the right time and class and do the exercises for 30 minutes that the trainer told me to do.  I only met with him twice a week for 30 minutes each but I also kept coming in on the non-training days and did those exercises from class.    

Now to make a long story short, 6 months later, I don't have washboard abs like on the TV commercials, although it depends on how I'm sitting or standing.  Fully reclined, I've got them and are very visible.  Standing up, not so much but I can feel them underneath the beer gut.  I also got something for free from the last six months.  I still weighed exactly the same as I weighed 6 months ago, but I had lost 3 inches off my waist.  

OK, here's the point of all this reveal.  I'm sure the Boston trainers sit down with every player and give them a training regime to beat all training regimes to keep them in top shape.  But our players physical fitness is only as good as the person doing the exercises.  You can lead a horse to water...

If I didn't go to class and do the exercises there in class and out of class, I definitely wouldn't have my washboard stomach.  I know it's a long term process.  I'm not expecting things to happen overnight and I have not been disappointed.  

I'm making a huge assumption that our Boston trainers know what their doing.  They can keep on top of the guys and make sure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing, but it's what the guys do when the trainers aren't looking.  I think that's where the problem lies as far as our demise has been this season and last with more than the average injuries.  Some injuries are unavoidable when you land on someone else's foot and turn an ankle.    

No one can give me a washboard stomach but me.  A trainer can help me get there, but it's not his/her fault if I don't get one unless I just have a body type that no matter how much I work out, I ain't getting one.

Anyway.  I'm putting the injuries outside of the unavoidable ones on the players not following directions to the "T".  They're all grown men, right Rosalie?!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down