POST GAME ORLANDO MAGIC - AWAY

5 posters

Go down

POST GAME ORLANDO MAGIC - AWAY Empty POST GAME ORLANDO MAGIC - AWAY

Post by 112288 Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:21 pm

Celtics-Magic takeaways: Schroder leads C's in blowout win

NBC SPORTS BOSTON BY JUSTIN LEGER

The Boston Celtics continue to roll as they blew out the Orlando Magic for their fifth straight win, 116-83.T

Sunday night's victory marks the Celtics' seventh in their last eight games. Four of those wins have come by 30 or more points.

Jaylen Brown led the way with a game-high 26 points for the C's. The second unit played a big role as well with Dennis Schroder contributing 22 points and Grant Williams adding 12 of his own.

Rookie guard Jalen Suggs paced the Magic with 17 points on the night. Wendell Carter Jr. was right behind him with 14.

Here are three instant takeaways from the Celtics' victory, which brings their record to 30-25. They'll wrap up their road trip Tuesday night vs. the Brooklyn Nets, who now tie the C's in the Eastern Conference standings after losing eight straight games.

Dennis Schroder showcases his talents

Dennis Schroder picked a great time to ball out for the Celtics.

The German point guard has been the subject of trade rumors ahead of Thursday's deadline. If this is the end of his brief tenure in Boston, he's going out on a high note.

Schroder dropped 22 points in 20 minutes off the bench. It was a much-needed effort for a C's team that struggled offensively until its 38-point fourth quarter.

The Cleveland Cavaliers likely are out of the running for Schroder since they acquired wing Caris LeVert from the Indiana Pacers on Sunday, but there are other teams interested in his services. The latest report on Schroder states the Milwaukee Bucks and Chicago Bulls have offers on the table.

Buckle up, these next few days will be interesting.

An emphatic statement from Jaylen Brown

Jaylen Brown struggled from 3-point range (1-for-9) as did the rest of the team, but Orlando had no answer for him inside. The 24-year-old was 9-for-13 on 2s and put the exclamation point on his 26-point performance with a posterization of Magic big man Mo Bamba.

Brown's expression after the dunk said it all: "Not an All-Star? Really?"

He added five rebounds, three assists, and three steals in 29 minutes.

Defense remains elite
The Celtics defense has been the best in the league over the last couple of weeks. They needed that to continue Sunday during a sluggish offensive performance -- particularly in the first half -- and it did.

Boston shot only 28.3% (13-46) from beyond the arc, but it didn't matter as the D held Orlando to 35.8% (29-81) from the floor. The Magic were an even worse 19.2% (5-for-26) from 3.

That's now six times over the Celtics' last eight games that they've held the opposing team under 100 points. Their 100.8 defensive rating over their last 15 games leads the NBA. The one caveat has been the quality of the C's opponents during that span, so their performance during Tuesday night's big matchup vs. Brooklyn will be telling.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME ORLANDO MAGIC - AWAY Empty Re: POST GAME ORLANDO MAGIC - AWAY

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:34 pm

I can’t wait for Brooklyn, those sh!theads were high 5-ing with glee last year vs us in playoffs, when we were down one all star. Payback is gonna be a bitch. I want to hold them under 90 and win by 30!!

Schroder started game kinda cold with his usual few bad passes, but today’s players are so talented, they can have one big quarter and finish a game with 27 or 28 no problem. First really good game by Dennis in awhile coming off the bench. If he can give us a spark off the bench, like he did today, maybe we keep him and let this play out? I don’t see a monster contract out there for him. A majority of teams have young points they are grooming, maybe we get lucky like the Bucks did with Portis. I wouldn’t give him away, unless it’s an obvious big winning trade.

Our defense has been the catalyst to our recent surge and schedule ofcourse, but we are winning by big margins and everyone has their roles down finally and even more important their counters in their roles should a play break down. It’s still not near perfect, but I don’t see other elite teams winning with the margins we are lately. Our defense has been best in the league recently during this stretch. Kudos to RWill our young anchor, his pogo stick defense is so key to everything. Good old Al is excelling on the defensive end. Smart Brown and Tatum is a defensive nightmare match up for any team at 1-3. JRich I’m liking more and more, adds so much to our defensive pressure and like the starters can cover multiple positions. We are getting our sh!t together at the right time, we can dominate with a J off bigly like Tatum was most of the game, then he got hot on one stretch and we’re up 20.

Team looks like they are having fun finally!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:42 am

It's amazing what just a little ball movement and some lock down defense will do for a team.

Let's give credit where it is due. Ime started the season saying he wanted this team to be known for its defense and defense only first and foremost. I'm going to wait to check that box off until after Friday night because this week is big inflection point week with BKN and DEN coming up, but we're getting real close to checking that box off once and for all.

Defense really does cure all and like high water, covers a lot of stumps. Crappy shooting? Win by 30. MS not really showing up? No problem. Didn't need ya. Slow start of several quarters? No problem. Wait until the end of the third and through the fourth quarter. 14 TO's again? No problem. There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat.

Couple of things starting with the end of the game. See how Romeo and Pritchard added about 12-15 points in the last 5 minutes of garbage time? That was showing Ime forget about the last game where we kinda almost effed things up and nearly had to put the starters back in. We got this.

Our defense is becoming what I like to call cringe defense. It's where you look at the other team and say, "Dang! I'd hate being in your shoes right now. Your team doesn't even look like it belongs in the G-League!'

I know. Before you pounce, that's what good defense does to ANY opposing team, good or bad. Good defense is so disruptive to your game plan and your psyche that everything comes undone. Ime wins for putting smothering defense first. He knows from Pop that defense wins championships. Plus stifling defense fits in with all Celtics coaching greats that have come before him. You can't win if you don't have the ball and be in a position to score. Of course you get the ball automatically after the other team scores, but you can sure reek havoc on the opposition while they are trying to score and tip the outcome way in your favor.

Great and subtle observation, 112288. They are having fun! Heck, we as fans are having fun watching them. Still some rough spots but a solid win for 5 in a row. 112288, you have also segued nicely into the near-term horizon coming up this week.

I can assure you BKN is tired of losing. I just don't want their streak to come to an end on our account Tuesday. They are dropping like a rock. I'm going to guess the reason is the bearded one once again. Everywhere he goes he's a rally killer. Or buzz kill. I told him to shave the beard at the beginning of the season. He didn't listen. And yet, here we are again and SN had to come out and say Harden's not part of any trade talk. Not to put the nail in the coffin, but this is it for Harden. He's going to have SAC on the horizon where all great players go to ride off into the sunset and disappear. Maybe not this year but it's coming. I digress.

We have a chance this week to get ESPN back on our backs. We beat BKN and DEN soundly this week? We'll have the target squarely on our backs. Beating BKN would move us up one spot, but we still have the ever-annoying TOR matching us game for game. If you will note, everyone directly above us is 7-3 over the last 10 games. TOR, CLE, 6er's, MIL? All 7-3. So winning 5 games in a row has sadly done nothing to change our position. Only BKN can help us and we can help ourselves by giving them our spot on Tuesday.

This will change. It will be a slow creep though. All the East playoff bound teams can't win 70% of their games to the finish. But like I said in another thread, 8-2 BAM for each 10-game clip to the end of the season, preferably 9-1 clips to get out of the first round. We've backed ourselves into this corner and have no one to blame but ourselves for where we are. We are our record. None of us are in this for a playoff repeat of last season.

There are two chasms to get through. First is overcoming the TOR 2-games behind in the loss column hump. After that, it's the 76er 2-game loss column hump. And that's it!! Then the gloves are off!! The fact that there are only 5 games difference between 1st and 8th in the East is absolutely crazy and sets the stage for a wild finish which will be exactly where it belongs and needs to be...IN...OUR...HANDS!!!

I'm with you, 112288, can't wait for Tuesday and hope BKN continues to fall like 2-ton boulder.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:55 am

Hey DB that was me who said they are finally having fun, not 112288, it’s okay, easy to miss the top of a post lol.

Wanted to add some more comments on the defense, Jalen Suggs was a really great college player obviously and at 6’5” has very good size for his position. See how towering Jaylen was when he was covering him? Jaylen has been so good stifling his match ups lately. He’s a 6’7” SF with freak athleticism that loves to dunk on bigs and can obviously use his foot speed and length to harass the sh!t out of any 2. Love when Jaylen would start defensively on the 1 and let Smart match up on someone slightly taller, and Smart can handle his bigger match ups too.

The way Smart, Brown and Tatum switch and pressure and all switch onto anyone on the perimeter has caused so much havoc, as Tatum also can keep up with and pressure 1’s. These guys are finally in sync and with Al and RWill backing them up in the paint, suddenly that’s working really really well too, the 2 bigs which I didn’t like, but is definitely clicking on all cylinders right now. Suddenly we’re a very good rebounding team too. It took awhile, but have to give Ime credit for the teams turnaround, with everyone buying into team ball.

This team is smiling all the time on the bench, the players all pulling for each other….we may have a shot at keeping Schroder long term IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:13 am

Not too long ago, when we played a bad team, we'd let it be a competitive game by playing down to their level.  It is possible we have outgrown that, and that would be evidence of growing maturity.  Then again, maybe those bums just plain stunk.  36% fg% and 19% from 3 makes it easy for anybody to beat them.

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 8 hours ago
“We’re living up to our identity,” said Ime Udoka. He wants the Celtics to avoid giving teams hope early. With a bunch of dominant first quarters lately, they have been yanking that hope away.

Our 1st half wasn't so hot, shooting-wise.  42% overall and 25% from 3 with the Js combining for 2-9 from 3.  Tatum had 3 points, total, on 1-7.  The frustrating part was that they kept taking, and missing, 3s when it was abundantly obvious we were killing them in the paint.  The "live and die with the 3" in today's NBA drives me crazy.  If they're not dropping then do what is.  Then the shots started dropping a bit more.  We still only shot 7-22 from 3 but 26-54, 48%, from 2.  

Jaylen with 25, but in a weird way.  10-22 is good shooting, but 1-9 from 3, making him 9-13 from 2?  Once again, today's NBA "live and die with the 3".  They couldn't stop you inside, Jaylen, clearly, so why would you go away from that?  He had a SportCenter poster on Mo Bamba.

Mark Murphy @Murf56
yesterday
Jaylen Brown on posterizing Mo Bomba: "I think I closed my eyes to be honest. Just a great pass from Smart. Energy play for us, get us going. Get us on a nice little run and secure the win. It's a regular day at the office."

I actually enjoy watching Jaylen Brown highlights more than watching Jayson Tatum's.  Tatum takes, and makes, a lot of shots but Jaylen's mix of shots is more fun to watch for me.  His Bamba poster starts just before the 2:00 mark.

Credit to Grant.  He just goes about his business and, after a couple of years of trying to figure out what that is, he knows and is doing it.  12 points on 5-9, 2-4 from 3.  We saw some bully-ball from Grant, a throwback to Tennessee when he was the strongest, biggest player on the floor.

Josh went 0-8, 0-6 from 3.  That was odd, to say the least.  He had 7 rebounds, 3 assists and only one turnover (of course!  turnovers are usually unforced errors and Josh doesn't beat himself that often).  Josh played hard even if he couldn't throw the ball in the ocean from the end of the pier last night.  The rumors are that teams are calling Brad about him but that Brad is telling them he's off the table.

And now for the only real wildcard in this game.  How'd our deep bench do this time?  They almost lost the last game for us, didn't they?  Last night Ime started to send them in with 6:11 minutes left in the game and us up about 25 points.  Ime started the regulars' march the bench by inserting Romeo, and then emptied the entire bench a minute or so after that.  We ended up winning by 33, so they added to our lead.  Romeo with 8 points on 3-4 and 2-2 from 3.  Romeo's shooting 35.4% from 3 this year.  Respectable.  Not great, not even league average I think, but definitely an improvement.  I, personally, didn't think he'd ever even be this good shooting from range.  Pritchard with 7 points on 2-2.  Bruno with 2 rebounds and 2 assists in 4 minutes.  The only one who struggled was Nesmith, and he is struggling.  Who thought that Romeo Langford would be ahead of Aaron Nesmith on the depth chart?

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
yesterday
This is no longer "since January 1st", or "in the last two weeks against lottery teams"...the Celtics now have the 6th best body of work in the NBA...for the full-season. The next four figure to be a reality check, one way or the other. @ Brooklyn Denver Atlanta @ Philadelphia pic.twitter.com/6B6szyPNsP
POST GAME ORLANDO MAGIC - AWAY FK9_KClXoAAmRfZ?format=jpg

The right side of the graphic says that our +4.1 Net Rating (Offensive Rating - Defensive Rating) is behind GSW's +8.2, Phoenix +7.7, Utah +6.6, Cleveland +4.5 and Miami's +4.3.  

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP
yesterday
2021-22 BOSTON CELTICS - WIRE-TO-WIRE WINS First 40 games: 1 Last 15 games: 6 (Does not include the Celtics win at New Orleans Jan. 29 in which they trailed 2-0 for 15 seconds of the game's opening minute.)

A FIVE game winning streak.  All we needed was for our starters to all be healthy and out of protocol, and playing together Ime's way.  We are now in a virtual 3-way tie for 6th place with Toronto and Brooklyn, 4.5 games out of first and we have the easiest remaining schedule of us 3.  Getting all the way to a home court playoff series at 4th seems unlikely with Cleveland 3 1/2 games ahead of us and just picking up Caris LeVert from Indiana, but I'd be happy just getting out of the play-in.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401360625

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:03 pm

BobH,

Of Jaylen's 9 FGM, how many of those were And 1's...essentially making it look like a 3-pointer?  Was the posterizing one of them?  I can't remember.  It should have been!  

db

P.S. cowens/oldschool you are correct! I looked in the wrong place! Good points, though. Big week this week. That's all I'm sayin'!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:05 pm

Nothing more exciting than competition.

Boston is in an excellent position to close the gap in the standings.

The Cavs are all in with the trade to get Levert. They still have 4 games against the Sixers and 2 against Toronto. I figure that as these team beat up on each other it should enhance our opportunity to move up provided of course that we keep playing solid basketball.

The Nets are in trouble without KD and they have 16 home games remaining without Irving. They have a 12-13 losing record at home. Gee, I wonder why.

We can beat the Nets and get past the Raptors.

We are 1-2 against Philly however no Smart in our 111-99 loss and Schroeder only scored 1 freakin point and 2 assists. Our 108-103 loss no Al, no Rob and no Josh.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:42 pm

I'm liking your thinking, dboss. Putting me at ease just a bit. TOR and PHI are two big hurdles and we can't slip up either! No one in the East can afford to!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:49 pm

dbrown4 wrote:BobH,

Of Jaylen's 9 FGM, how many of those were And 1's...essentially making it look like a 3-pointer?  Was the posterizing one of them?  I can't remember.  It should have been!  

db

P.S.  cowens/oldschool you are correct!  I looked in the wrong place!  Good points, though.  Big week this week.  That's all I'm sayin'!

dbrown,

Without going back and looking the play-by-play account what can we deduce?

Jaylen was 9-13 from 2. He was 5-5 from the line. That's a pretty good fta:fga ratio. The question is "how many of those were 2 ftas awarded for a missed fga and how many +1s awarded for fgm?"

And, yes, the dunk that put Mo Bamba on a poster was a +1

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:59 pm

dbrown4 wrote:112288,

It's amazing what just a little ball movement and some lock down defense will do for a team.  

Let's give credit where it is due.  Ime started the season saying he wanted this team to be known for its defense and defense only first and foremost.  I'm going to wait to check that box off until after Friday night because this week is big inflection point week with BKN and DEN coming up, but we're getting real close to checking that box off once and for all.

Defense really does cure all and like high water, covers a lot of stumps.  Crappy shooting?  Win by 30.  MS not really showing up?  No problem.  Didn't need ya.  Slow start of several quarters?  No problem.  Wait until the end of the third and through the fourth quarter.  14 TO's again?  No problem.  There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat.    

Couple of things starting with the end of the game.  See how Romeo and Pritchard added about 12-15 points in the last 5 minutes of garbage time?  That was showing Ime forget about the last game where we kinda almost effed things up and nearly had to put the starters back in.  We got this.

Our defense is becoming what I like to call cringe defense.  It's where you look at the other team and say, "Dang!  I'd hate being in your shoes right now.  Your team doesn't even look like it belongs in the G-League!'  

I know.  Before you pounce, that's what good defense does to ANY opposing team, good or bad.  Good defense is so disruptive to your game plan and your psyche that everything comes undone.  Ime wins for putting smothering defense first.  He knows from Pop that defense wins championships.  Plus stifling defense fits in with all Celtics coaching greats that have come before him.  You can't win if you don't have the ball and be in a position to score.  Of course you get the ball automatically after the other team scores, but you can sure reek havoc on the opposition while they are trying to score and tip the outcome way in your favor.    

Great and subtle observation, 112288.  They are having fun!  Heck, we as fans are having fun watching them.  Still some rough spots but a solid win for 5 in a row.  112288, you have also segued nicely into the near-term horizon coming up this week.  

I can assure you BKN is tired of losing.  I just don't want their streak to come to an end on our account Tuesday.  They are dropping like a rock.  I'm going to guess the reason is the bearded one once again.  Everywhere he goes he's a rally killer.  Or buzz kill.  I told him to shave the beard at the beginning of the season.  He didn't listen.  And yet, here we are again and SN had to come out and say Harden's not part of any trade talk.  Not to put the nail in the coffin, but this is it for Harden.  He's going to have SAC on the horizon where all great players go to ride off into the sunset and disappear.  Maybe not this year but it's coming.  I digress.  

We have a chance this week to get ESPN back on our backs.  We beat BKN and DEN soundly this week?  We'll have the target squarely on our backs.  Beating BKN would move us up one spot, but we still have the ever-annoying TOR matching us game for game.  If you will note, everyone directly above us is 7-3 over the last 10 games.  TOR, CLE, 6er's, MIL?  All 7-3.  So winning 5 games in a row has sadly done nothing to change our position.  Only BKN can help us and we can help ourselves by giving them our spot on Tuesday.  

This will change.  It will be a slow creep though.  All the East playoff bound teams can't win 70% of their games to the finish. But like I said in another thread, 8-2 BAM for each 10-game clip to the end of the season, preferably 9-1 clips to get out of the first round.  We've backed ourselves into this corner and have no one to blame but ourselves for where we are.  We are our record.  None of us are in this for a playoff repeat of last season.  

There are two chasms to get through.  First is overcoming the TOR 2-games behind in the loss column hump.  After that, it's the 76er 2-game loss column hump.  And that's it!!  Then the gloves are off!!  The fact that there are only 5 games difference between 1st and 8th in the East is absolutely crazy and sets the stage for a wild finish which will be exactly where it belongs and needs to be...IN...OUR...HANDS!!!

I'm with you, 112288, can't wait for Tuesday and hope BKN continues to fall like 2-ton boulder.  

db

dBrown4

I am cautiously optimistic although we did beat some real Tomato Can's but that could be a blessing in disguise. Sometimes especially in sports like the game of golf, it is best to practice a swing move in slow motion before you can advance to a game in swing. So maybe they needed to gain their confidence by trying IME's system on bad teams to get their rhythm and timing down. That my friend leads to confidence. Yes Tuesday should be a good indicator of their progress by playing Brooklyn which is a step up in class. Let's see and wishing for a knock out!

I hear Smart's name all over the place. It would be foolish to trade the best defender they have. If they do, Stevens is playing for next year. It would be foolish!

Buckle up buttercups it will be a tension filled next few days until 3pm on Thursday!

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:13 am

Well, not putting any pressure on tonight's game but again, we've backed ourselves into this no-lose situation by our performance from the season to date along with the current East standings.  This falls under the must win/playoff-type atmosphere game.  Period.  

We've learned lately how to win no matter what the situation.  Clearly applying the mantra high water (cringe defense) covers a lot of stumps (too many to keep relisting) for this team.  Well, tonight everything gets focused in and we will see where we stand not only in this game vs. BKN but also on Friday versus DEN.  

If we're not ready for prime time and blow both, that's about going to do it.  It's an official repeat or worse of last year.  Go 1-1?  Given the 5-game gap between 1st and 8th where we reside, we're back on the slippery slope.  It's not even treading water.  The only solution is to go 2-0.

The good news is, or at least I think it is, I don't remember last season going like the recent two weeks of this season.  I may be wrong, but this is a little bit different like we may be finally, ever so slowly coming out of the quicksand of the last season and a half.  

I know the ASG break is going to kill any momentum temporarily but we need that going into the break no matter what.  

BKN is going to try everything to win tonight and end the humiliating streak amid all that is going on in/with BKN.  Trigger fingers have already started/are going to start getting real itchy in BKN trade deadline or not.  The train and the ensuing wreck will eventually happen as predicted and perhaps far ahead of schedule.  How and what the final straw will be has yet to be determined but it will reveal itself in time.  

We'll find out how committed our guys are to this turnaround/change in direction tonight.  We now know we can win regardless, no matter who we are playing.  That is a HUGE HUGE mental step in the right direction.  

JT recently may be the best bail out person we've had since Ray Allen.  I've seen him lately make shots (normally 3's) when the possession(s) had turnover/steal/shot clock violation written all over it.  Ray would make his shots earlier on in the possession, but it still had the same dagger, ripping your heart out and stomping on it effect on the opposition.

Let's hope there are a few of those tonight that drive home the inevitable demise for ol' BKN.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down