Kyrie Irving sounds defeated while praising Celtics amid Nets falling into 0-2 series hole: ‘Their time is now’

3 posters

Go down

Kyrie Irving sounds defeated while praising Celtics amid Nets falling into 0-2 series hole: ‘Their time is now’ Empty Kyrie Irving sounds defeated while praising Celtics amid Nets falling into 0-2 series hole: ‘Their time is now’

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:11 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/04/kyrie-irving-sounds-defeated-while-praising-celtics-amid-nets-falling-into-0-2-series-hole-their-time-is-now.html

Kyrie Irving sounds defeated while praising Celtics amid Nets falling into 0-2 series hole: ‘Their time is now’

Updated: Apr. 21, 2022, 10:00 a.m. | Published: Apr. 21, 2022, 6:10 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

BOSTON — Kyrie Irving threw in the towel early during his last postseason series as a member of the Boston Celtics in 2019. It’s too early to say whether he will be doing so again with the Nets after falling into a 0-2 hole on Wednesday night at the TD Garden. However, the Nets point guard at the least sounded jealous of the foundation his former team had built without him on their way to a 114-107 comeback win.

“I’m not surprised at all,” Irving said of Boston’s success under Ime Udoka. “I just think the timing is right. Their window is now for these young guys that are on this team that have matured. They’ve been through series together, they’ve been through seasons together, they’ve been through battles together.”

Irving battled through his worst performance of the postseason in Game 2, mustering just 10 points on 4-of-13 shooting from the field as Brooklyn squandered a 17-point first half lead.

The Nets repeatedly showed a lack of cohesion in big moments for the second straight game after a season full of turmoil and trades. Those plays should Brooklyn is still trying to fit in new talent together and could continue to do so as the series rolls on with Ben Simmons potentially in the mix for a return to the floor at Barclays Center. That stands in sharp contrast to what the Celtics have built a solid core together over several years in the eyes of Irving.

“I got a chance to experience some of that,” Irving said. “Now being on the opposite end and going against a healthy Celtics team — without Robert Williams - but you’re just seeing there’s a difference in their verve, there’s a difference in the way they approach the game. And also they have a set offense and defense that they rely on. Ime’s been a huge part of that. But you’ve got to give credit to that guy that’s sitting in the president’s role as well now. All of the sudden we don’t get to see him as often, Brad Stevens definitely has a lot to do with that.”

The Nets will have a chance to get back into the first round series back in Brooklyn on Saturday night at the Barclays Center. However, Irving is sure making it sound like the Celtics are the battle tested squad despite having a lot of the same talent that Brooklyn rolled over just one year ago in the first round.

“Our identity is what it is,” Irving said. “I just believe that, even me coming out tonight, and I only shot 13 times, I felt like we were in great position coming out of halftime just as a team. It’s no time for me to look at my individual stats and what I need to do. I want us to continue with that effort. I believe we can do it. We’ve just got to show it. This late in the season, even though I brought up team cohesion, it is what it is. We really have to turn the page and learn through our experiences right now.

“We’re going against a team together for what, the last four, five years. So they don’t have to worry about that. And I don’t want us to worry about it in this series and make excuses on why things are not going right for us. It’s just time to strap up the boots and get the ammo ready.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  Losing at the buzzer, like they did in Game 1, hurts.  The question was "would it deflate them or fire them up?".  Clearly it fired them up because they came out smoking hot in Game 2.  They were up 17, and ended up losing by 3 possessions (I'm not counting Dragic's layup with :17 left.  Nobody gave a damn at that point because we were up 9 when he hit it.  We wanted possession, so we could run the clock, more than the stop or possible foul and stoppage of play).  Coming out, playing well and with energy and focus, shooting >60% at the half and still lose convincingly sucks the life out of a team.  It might not affect KD and Dragic but the young'uns on the team?  The less mentally and emotionally strong?  It hurts bad.

I expect them to explode at the Barclay's Center in Game 3, show some pride for their fans, and then maybe give up the ghost in Game 4 so they don't have to be eliminated on their floor later in the series.  I don't think even they believe they can get this series to 7.  That means 6, at best, and that would mean being eliminated in Brooklyn.  Nobody wants to be eliminated on their home court. To lose in 5 would require them to lose one of the three in Brooklyn and it'd be better to do that earlier than the elimination game. Ergo my prediction of a Game 3 Nets win and a Game 4 Celtic win.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving sounds defeated while praising Celtics amid Nets falling into 0-2 series hole: ‘Their time is now’ Empty Re: Kyrie Irving sounds defeated while praising Celtics amid Nets falling into 0-2 series hole: ‘Their time is now’

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:25 pm

Sounds like quittin' time for Kryrie. We're all too familiar with that shutdown routine. Told you this would come out when least (actually most) expected. Can't teach an old dog new tricks. Voila.

Remember, it's going to look and sound like a Boston home game Saturday. Home crowd for BKN won't help Jack Squat.

db

P.S. Notice how BS chatter for G3 is rising.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving sounds defeated while praising Celtics amid Nets falling into 0-2 series hole: ‘Their time is now’ Empty Re: Kyrie Irving sounds defeated while praising Celtics amid Nets falling into 0-2 series hole: ‘Their time is now’

Post by prakash Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:38 pm

I think that the Celts will really compete in Game 3. They should be some what worried that they are going back to Brooklyn. That should help them focus better. I thought that the focus a belief was lacking a bit in 1H of G2.

I am rooting for the Celts to win G3 so that Kyrie really quits on their home floor.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:16 pm

Here's why winning G3 for us has to happen. I may or may not be stealing dboss' thunder, but here goes.

Again, everyone in their brother, including Stephen A. still can't believe what they are seeing from BKN in particular from K-Squares even after two times and the second time it got worse than the first time. They are now calling for BKN to win G3 after incorrectly predicting they would win G2. Fartin' in the wind.

Defense can only get better, scoring is always variable. That's why high scoring teams never win championships.

Given the hope that BS will more than likely appear by G4, the Celtics cannot take any chances that this experiment will amount to anything. Everyone knows this will be an unmitigated disaster. But there is always a chance it could work for some stupid reason. If the series is 2-1, BKN now has absolutely nothing to lose by putting him in and everything to gain. Whereas down 0-3, it's over. Then he's just playin' for funzies.

We have yet to play a completely, totally dominating game from wire to wire. Let's make that G3. Calling for it.

BKN arena will look like and sound like a Celtics home game. Watch for it. That's what the players want to see from fans. Anyone can go to a home game in town. But when you darn near fill up half the opposing teams arena with your fans, it's totally disheartening to the home team because all those fans sold their tix to Celtic fans at an outrageous price.

You think Kryrie looked depressed and couldn't throw it in the ocean last night?!

Stephen A. correct to throw the blame all on Kyrie for all of BKN's crap this season.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:11 pm

I just heard that  KD has averaged  42mpg over the last 11 games because the Nets still had to compete for the #7 seed.  That's exhausting.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down