dboss
bobheckler
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The GOAT is Gone - Page 2 Empty Re: The GOAT is Gone

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:13 pm

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/brad-stevens-explains-celtics-icon-154126381.html

Brad Stevens explains how Celtics icon Bill Russell helped define 'the Butler Way'

Nick Goss

Mon, August 1, 2022 at 8:41 AM

Bill Russell has impacted so many teams, players and coaches in the sport of basketball since his days as an 11-time champion with the Boston Celtics.

Russell's extraordinary on-court play, his professionalism, compassion and leadership set an incredible example for how to win games consistently and do it with class.

Russell sadly passed away Sunday at the age of 88. But his legacy will live on for a long, long time.

Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens has been familiar with Russell's rules and lessons for success even before he joined the C's as their head coach in 2013. His men's basketball team at Butler used plenty of Russell material to help define what it wanted to be as a program.

"I go back to when I was coaching at Butler in the early 2000s, we were trying to define this thing called 'the Butler Way' that was like the principle of how we wanted to be," Stevens said in an interview with NBC Sports Boston's Chris Forsberg.

"We knew what it felt like when a team played really well together and what it looked like when a team played really well together, but we just couldn't wrap our arms around it or define it."

That all changed over the offseason thanks to one of Russell's books.

"Todd Lickliter at the time was the head coach, and that summer he spent reading 'Russell's Rules', and everything was defined for us," Stevens explained.

"Half the stuff in our locker room at Butler, in a school of 4,000 in central Indiana, was written and defined by Bill Russell and his runs with the Celtics. I just think that's the legacy and the game that is just immeasurable.

"I don't know how many programs, whether they know it or not, have taken his words or his lessons and tried to become a team like he led a team here (in Boston)."

There likely are many, many teams in all different sports around the world that use Russell's quotes, teachings or lessons on a daily or yearly basis. He set an incredibly high standard on the basketball court, one that everyone is trying to match.

But that standard wasn't just set on the playing field. Russell's work in pursuing racial equality and social justice set an incredible example of how we should treat everyone with the respect and dignity they deserve.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:42 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10044200-magic-johnson-celtics-legend-bill-russell-should-have-no-6-retired-by-nba

Couldn’t agree more!
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:17 pm

Funny story, and that famous Russell laugh.

https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0h19Q4Yz?pd=05Ulxr0y&lang=en_US&s=i0
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:24 am

Guess who just paid homage to Vin Scully and still nothing about our Russell. #fkface

https://twitter.com/kingjames/status/1554673769590841345?s=21&t=mmH8_jHG7kB2sODcJzDF_A

The POS is getting dragged on Twitter right now

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:45 am

While on our annual family beach vacation sitting poolside, my brother-in-law informed me of this while I was down to my last few pages of "Go Up For Glory".  My heart sank.

On and off the court, Bill set a tremendous pace and created shoes almost impossible to fill.  Probably impossible.  On the court, easily the greatest team player of all time.  Not even open for discussion.  No one even a close second.  Off the court, he fought for equality of all races and peoples.  He fought for respect.  He fought for becoming a man.

There will never be another Bill Felton Russell.  He was a man.  He was, is and always will be the Greatest Of All Time.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:59 am

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/ray-allen-bill-russell-reason/

Ray Allen Drops Strong Statement on Bill Russell: ‘You Were the Reason’

By Matt John
Updated Jul 31, 2022 at 10:55pm

Following the passing of Bill Russell, many NBA players paid tribute to the Boston Celtics legend, including former Celtic Ray Allen. On his Instagram page, Allen wrote a long detailed post praising Russell for all he did as a basketball player and as a person. Allen also revealed that Russell’s influence was the reason why he wanted to become a Celtic.

“A lot of people talk about changing the world- Bill actually did. Thank you Bill. You were the reason I wanted to be a Celtic. Forever grateful, Legend.”

trayfour
Verified

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgr7WjRLrDx/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=63268240-e34a-42ad-8d14-7e5addad23cd

57,245 likes
trayfour's profile picture
trayfour
Verified
Today we lost a giant amongst men. I am so lucky to have shared space with one of the greatest men and greatest basketball players that this world has ever seen. Whenever I was around Bill, I would just sit back and listen to his stories. No matter what story he told, it always ended with his laughter as if I just told a funny joke. Your massive presence on this world was felt intensely and now your absence hurts. Despite Bill Russell winning 11 NBA championships, he played at a time in America where he was not welcome anywhere. Without Bill’s sacrifice, courage, fight, determination, fortitude and unwillingness to accept the story that the world would try to define him by; most of us would never have had the opportunities that have been afforded to us. When NBA players say that we stand on the shoulders of giants, we are talking about Bill and the many greats like him that thrived despite the cruel and constant punishment of racism. Bill was not only just a champion, he was a trailblazer. Bill was not just a dominant force on the court, he was a voice for a generation- an activist and a warrior for human decency. A lot of people talk about changing the world- Bill actually did. Thank you Bill. You were the reason I wanted to be a Celtic. Forever grateful, Legend. #RIP6 #Celticforlife #☘ #presidentialmedaloffreedom
2d

Allen was traded to the Celtics in 2007 and played an instrumental role in helping them win their 17th title the following year. In the five years he played for the Celtics, Allen averaged 16.7 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 2.7 assists in 358 games total. On top of that, Allen made the all-star game three times and helped the Celtics reach playoffs every year he played for the team.

Allen then left the Celtics for the Miami Heat during the 2012 NBA Offseason, which his Celtics teammates did not respond to kindly too. Particularly Kevin Garnett.

Allen Made Up With Garnett in 2022

When the Celtics first faced the Heat following Allen’s departure from Boston on opening night in 2012, there was a tense moment between Allen and Garnett just as Allen was about to sub into the game.

For years, all indications were that Garnett and Allen were not on speaking terms. However, it appeared as though the hatchet had been buried between them when Allen showed up at Kevin Garnett’s retirement ceremony on March 13, 2022.

During his retirement ceremony, Garnett called Allen out, telling him that it was good to see him and that he was next, as they hugged it out with Paul Pierce to finally squash their beef once and for all.

“I want to say something. It’s good to see Ray Allen here, man. Real s***. It’s good to see you hear, Ray. You next, Lord! Ray next, damn it!”

For all the public knows, Garnett and Allen settled their differences beforehand, but this was the first public appearance between the two of them in Boston since they played together for the Celtics.

Both Allen and Garnett have shouted out Bill Russell following his passing. On top of that, a conversation between Garnett with Russell in 2008 resurfaced in light of Russell’s death.

Russell Promised Success to Garnett in 2008

After Russell’s passing was announced, a conversation between Russell and Garnett resurfaced on the internet. During this conversation, which took place in March of 2008, Russell was very candid with Garnett. He told him that he believed Garnett would win multiple championship rings in Boston, and if he didn’t, he’d share one of his rings with Garnett.

“I think that you’re going to win at least two or three championships here,” Russell told Garnett. “And, if you don’t, but I see you playing the way you should play, I’ll share one of mine with you. This is a genuine friendship thing I’m talking about, but if you play the way you play, and you dedicate yourself to doing it, they will come.”

Later Russell added how proud he was of Garnett, and how, number-wise, Garnett reminds Russell of himself before bursting out into his iconic laugh.

“You have no idea how proud I am of you. I couldn’t be any more proud of you than I am of my own kids. I see you wear number five, that’s close to six!”

In the end, Russell didn’t have to share any of his rings with Garnett, as Garnett got one of his own once the Celtics won it all three months later.

This conversation was a tearjerker for Celtics fans when it aired back in 2008, and it’s an even bigger tearjerker now following Russell’s death.

Bob
MY NOTE: "You were the reason I wanted to be a Celtic.".

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:21 pm

https://fb.watch/eGE4d9ihPY/

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:17 am

Boston Celtics @celtics
yesterday
a bond unlike any other 💚 pic.twitter.com/sP5MD1lPQA

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1554909402607616003

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:19 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:39 pm

We were so fortunate to have Red and Russell!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:20 am

Man, what a great interview.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:42 pm

Bill Russell was my 'second' sports hero at 8 or 9 years old. He was 'second' only because I was introduced to baseball one year sooner.

As my second hero passes away at 88 years old, I was in tears for a full day because he was a true "hero" to so many people.

Thanks for being YOU, Bill Russell and RIP.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:19 pm

The GOAT is Gone - Page 2 Fb_img18

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content