9 posters

Go down

Number 6 to be retired league wide  Empty Number 6 to be retired league wide

Post by willjr Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:35 pm

https://apple.news/AgmvYiXNzTR69UrRuf8A9lA
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Number 6 to be retired league wide  Empty Re: Number 6 to be retired league wide

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:58 pm

This is such awesome news. What a way to pay tribute to the greatest. I have chills right now
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Number 6 to be retired league wide  Empty Re: Number 6 to be retired league wide

Post by Ktron Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:05 pm

GD Lebron. He must’ve said something. Punk!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:13 pm

Perfect!

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:31 pm

Great News! I am thrilled that the NBA is going to do this.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:32 pm

Ktron wrote:GD Lebron. He must’ve said something. Punk!

Since he deservedly took a beating on social media for not issuing a statement upon Bill’s passing I’m sure he will magnanimously come out with great fanfare to say how he will not grandfather the number and will graciously choose another. Just my opinion but…the guy is a preening, egotistical fraud.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:07 pm

willjr wrote:
Ktron wrote:GD Lebron. He must’ve said something. Punk!

Since he deservedly took a beating on social media for not issuing a statement upon Bill’s passing I’m sure he will magnanimously come out with great fanfare to say how he will not grandfather the number and will graciously choose another. Just my opinion but…the guy is a preening, egotistical fraud.

Yup. Give him triple 000 on front and back. Egomaniacal punk.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:04 pm

Well deserved for a man who the consensus is made as much an impact or larger off the court for what he stood for as on the floor as a player.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:24 am

FINALLY! The recognition he deserves and has earned FAR above any other player. Of course, he would vehemently tells us all not to do this since his whole premise and existence was Team, not me. But whether he likes it or not, this is long overdue.

Thank you, NBA! This may be the best move you have ever made.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:46 am

Bill Russell Once Told Red Auerbach To Not Retire His No. 6 With Celtics: "I Don't Need Any Validation."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/bill-russell-once-told-red-auerbach-to-not-retire-his-no-6-with-celtics-i-don-t-need-any-validation/ar-AA10AcKq?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=38b961f432384e118e4bf2e573f27e1f

Lee Tran - 7h ago

View the original article to see embedded media.

Bill Russell is one of the greatest players of all time, and there's no doubt that he is the winningest superstar of all time. There's no question that Bill Russell's time with the Boston Celtics will never be forgotten.

Despite his achievements, it seems as though Bill Russell didn't need any recognition from the outside world. In fact, in an interview, he once revealed that he asked Red Auerbach not to retire his number with the Celtics because he didn't require "any validation".

I asked Red not to retire... I don't need any validation. I played... that experience was enough to last me for a lifetime.

Though he states that he doesn't need any validation in this interview, the league has since decided to recognize what he did both on the court and off the court. In fact, Shams Charania has revealed that the league will be retiring Bill Russell's No. 6 across the NBA.

The NBA will retire the No. 6 league-wide honoring the late, legendary player and activist Bill Russell.

Bill Russell becomes the first player in NBA history to have his jersey retired across the league. All NBA players will also wear a patch on the right shoulder of their jerseys during 2022-23 season, and every arena's court will display a clover-shaped logo with No. 6.

Players who currently wear No. 6 – such as Lakers‘ LeBron James – will be grandfathered.

Bill Russell is now immortalized forever, and after the current players who wear No. 6 retire, no one will wear Russell's legendary number. This was a fantastic way to commemorate one of the best superstars that we've ever seen.

Perhaps one day, we will see a superstar who can win 11 titles in 13 years just like Bill Russell. However, as of right now, no one has come close to doing that, and we just have to marvel at how much winning Bill Russell has done.

My comment: That surely will rankle some of the other team's fanbase.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:50 pm

The thing is, it is not just the 11 rings in 13 years, it was what he did along the way outside of basketball to help ALL young men and women. A true hero to those he helped
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:23 pm

I will never, ever forget the night they re retired Russell's number in the Garden. I whined like a little kid because I could not get tickets to this event. My husband worked at the Newton Police station in charge of all the vehicles, and had many friends who were police officers. One of them came in the morning of the event. Hubby shaking his head telling him I was driving him nuts. Two hours later I had two tickets!!! Great having friends with contacts!!! It was such a wonderful night, watching a side of Russell that you hardly ever saw. Wilt Chamberlain, larger than life on the floor with him. Stories galore. These are the memories that will live with me forever. And yes, the payback was cheap, chocolate chip cookies and pizzelles!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:33 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I will never, ever forget the night they re retired Russell's number in the Garden.  I whined like a little kid because I could not get tickets to this event. My husband worked at the Newton Police station in charge of all the vehicles, and had many friends who were police officers.  One of them came in the morning of the event. Hubby shaking his head telling him I was driving him nuts. Two hours later I had two tickets!!!  Great having friends with contacts!!!  It was such a wonderful night, watching a side of Russell that you hardly ever saw.  Wilt Chamberlain, larger than life on the floor with him. Stories galore.  These are the memories that will live with me forever.  And yes, the payback was cheap, chocolate chip cookies and pizzelles!!!!

Now that was a good trade……pizzelles for tickets!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down