prakash
bobheckler
cowens/oldschool
jrleftfoot
Ktron
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jayson Tatum, Kevin Durant Work Out Together Amid Celtics-Nets Rumors - Page 2 Empty Re: Jayson Tatum, Kevin Durant Work Out Together Amid Celtics-Nets Rumors

Post by NYCelt Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:14 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:I think people underestimate Tatum's "toughness". He doesn't yell and scream and carry on, but I don't get the sense that he ever doubts himself in a clutch situation. People conflate the sometimes streaky nature of Tatum's shooting with mental weakness. However, I don't think that streakiness comes from lack of confidence. I think he's a quiet but determined guy who always thinks he could take the big shot. During the playoffs, I heard many pundits (often former players) say stuff like "Tatum has to exert his will - that's what superstars do". Meanwhile, he was making the right play - passing the ball (nevermind that if he'd shot he'd have been crucified for "going iso"). To me, it's quite simple, the more often you make the right play, the more likely you are to win. Of course there will be times when you might lose to a team making the wrong plays, but you gotta go with whatever most often leads to wins. That said, I also believe Tatum would be entirely comfortable taking any last shot/clutch shot - say what you want, but the kid is a scorer, and scorers always think the ball is going in.  I am guessing some of you criticizing JT are thinking of something else, i.e. some intangible. Problem with intangibles is that the reason they are called intangibles is because it is difficult to consistently assess the actual affect they have on the game. KG was a maniac - yelling, screaming, pounding his head, doing push ups, but I never got the sense he was comfortable taking over a game (Pierce was....). So he was an alpha-dog in some sense of the word, but can you really be an alpha-dog if your not eager or willing to take the big shots? The number of players who have both elite skill and demonstrative alpha-drive personalities is pretty damn small. I'm pretty happy with the overall make up of our team.

Shamrock,

That is a very well thought-out and well-written post.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum, Kevin Durant Work Out Together Amid Celtics-Nets Rumors - Page 2 Empty Re: Jayson Tatum, Kevin Durant Work Out Together Amid Celtics-Nets Rumors

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:42 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:I think people underestimate Tatum's "toughness". He doesn't yell and scream and carry on, but I don't get the sense that he ever doubts himself in a clutch situation. People conflate the sometimes streaky nature of Tatum's shooting with mental weakness. However, I don't think that streakiness comes from lack of confidence. I think he's a quiet but determined guy who always thinks he could take the big shot. During the playoffs, I heard many pundits (often former players) say stuff like "Tatum has to exert his will - that's what superstars do". Meanwhile, he was making the right play - passing the ball (nevermind that if he'd shot he'd have been crucified for "going iso"). To me, it's quite simple, the more often you make the right play, the more likely you are to win. Of course there will be times when you might lose to a team making the wrong plays, but you gotta go with whatever most often leads to wins. That said, I also believe Tatum would be entirely comfortable taking any last shot/clutch shot - say what you want, but the kid is a scorer, and scorers always think the ball is going in.  I am guessing some of you criticizing JT are thinking of something else, i.e. some intangible. Problem with intangibles is that the reason they are called intangibles is because it is difficult to consistently assess the actual affect they have on the game. KG was a maniac - yelling, screaming, pounding his head, doing push ups, but I never got the sense he was comfortable taking over a game (Pierce was....). So he was an alpha-dog in some sense of the word, but can you really be an alpha-dog if your not eager or willing to take the big shots? The number of players who have both elite skill and demonstrative alpha-drive personalities is pretty damn small. I'm pretty happy with the overall make up of our team.

A lot of really good points, I actually think KG’s intangibles are higher than most others, that maniac was also busting his chops on defense all the time and doing it his own way at the highest level in the league at the time, so the work compares favorably in the conversation to any HoF defender leading his team, individually or within the team concept. We had the no 1 defense as soon as KG got here, it’s worth mentioning how stellar/intense and high level his defense was during those years. Perk was the perfect physical sidekick down low, had to mention that….Rondo still had his young legs, was a terror on perimeter. Was at a Nets game, and the Nets had someone else bring the ball up, cause young Rondo was pressing Jason Kidd so tight and he couldn’t even bring the ball up, was too much work with Rondo putting that much energy out there. That defense used to force garbage time in the 4th, after hellacious 3rd quarters.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:01 am

Jayson Tatum sets record straight on workout with Kevin Durant

Justin Leger

Sun, August 21, 2022 at 4:08 PM·2 min read

Tatum sets record straight on workout with Durant originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

Jayson Tatum's recent workout with Kevin Durant helped to fuel the rumors of a potential trade that would bring the Brooklyn Nets star to Boston. With the Celtics reportedly being a frontrunner to acquire Durant in a deal, the timing of the workout led to plenty of speculation.

Tatum, who's worked out and practiced with Durant on a number of previous occasions, addressed the viral workout photos in a conversation with Bleacher Report's Taylor Rooks.

"It goes back to your earlier question. Like, what do you give up being Jayson Tatum? It's like, they exaggerate everything I do," Tatum said. "I've known KD since I was in high school. We were on the USA team together, we spent five weeks together last year from Vegas to Tokyo, we won a gold medal. We have a bond. Like, that's my brother. And it's like, I'm not too proud to say KD's one of the best players ever, so it's like one of the best players wants to work out with you and I could learn some things from him. Why would I say no?

"If you worry too much about what other people think, you're going to drive yourself crazy. And it's crazy that I can't work out with somebody. That's all it was, we were working out together trying to get better."

Tatum's explanation is straightforward, but the reaction to the workout should come as no surprise. Boston is rumored to be one of Durant's preferred destinations if the Nets grant his trade request. Some NBA fans may have interpreted the workout photos as Tatum wanting to play alongside KD, even with such a deal likely including Jaylen Brown as the centerpiece.

That said, the Durant-to-Celtics rumors have cooled over the last couple of weeks. The Boston Globe's Adam Himmelsbach recently reported "the Celtics are not close to a deal that would bring Kevin Durant to Boston, and that there have not even been any real discussions of substance."

Boston's regular season begins Oct. 18 vs. the Philadelphia 76ers, another reported frontrunner to land Durant in a trade.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:25 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:

A lot of really good points, I actually think KG’s intangibles are higher than most others, that maniac was also busting his chops on defense all the time and doing it his own way at the highest level in the league at the time, so the work compares favorably in the conversation to any HoF defender leading his team, individually or within the team concept. We had the no 1 defense as soon as KG got here, it’s worth mentioning how stellar/intense and high level his defense was during those years. Perk was the perfect physical sidekick down low, had to mention that….Rondo still had his young legs, was a terror on perimeter. Was at a Nets game, and the Nets had someone else bring the ball up, cause young Rondo was pressing Jason Kidd so tight and he couldn’t even bring the ball up, was too much work with Rondo putting that much energy out there. That defense used to force garbage time in the 4th, after hellacious 3rd quarters.

Yeah, that 2008 team was tough! So well put together. If not for injuries and some questionable coaching/GM decisions, I am convinced that they would have won more than one. But, I'll never forget that 2008 title. I had been a long suffering fan, aware of the Celtics mystique, but not quite old enough to have really appreciated the Bird years, never mind the Cowens or Russell eras. I remember losing Reggie, making excuses for Pitino, trying to convince myself that Antoine and Pierce were the foundation of a new dynasty, or that Ron Mercer was going to be a star. There were a lot of dark years before that title.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2