Ime Udoka faces significant suspension by the Celtics???

+14
BaronV
willjr
jrleftfoot
Shamrock1000
Matty
Ktron
NYCelt
Celtics17
dboss
Vankisa
gyso
steve3344
bobc33
18 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ime Udoka faces significant suspension by the Celtics??? Empty Ime Udoka faces significant suspension by the Celtics???

Post by bobc33 Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:14 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celtics-coach-ime-udoka-facing-significant-suspension-for-unspecified-team-rule-violation-per-report/

Celtics coach Ime Udoka facing significant suspension for unspecified team rule violation, per report
Udoka coached the Celtics to the NBA Finals last season

Sam Quinn

By Sam Quinn  
11 mins ago

1 min read
2022 NBA Finals - Game Three
Maddie Meyer / Getty Images
Boston Celtics coach Ime Udoka is facing disciplinary action, which could include a significant suspension, for violating an unspecified organizational guideline, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. At this time it is not known what rule Udoka may have violated.

Coaching suspensions are extremely rare in the NBA. Washington Wizards assistant Mike Batiste was suspended two games last season for entering the stands, and both Mike Budenholzer and Jason Kidd have earned one-game suspensions for conduct that took place within a game. A lengthy suspension for a coach, especially one that is team-imposed, would be unprecedented.

Udoka took over the Celtics last season as a first-time head coach, and despite a 23-24 start, rallied the team to a stellar 28-7 finish and eventual berth in the NBA Finals. The Celtics came up short, but were set to enter this season as the betting favorite to win the championship.

With Udoka's status unclear, that could easily change. This is just the latest issue to befall Boston in what has become a tumultuous offseason. Star forward Jaylen Brown publicly commented on trade rumors involving himself and Brooklyn Nets star Kevin Durant. Free agent signing Danilo Gallinari tore his ACL while playing for the Italian National Team. Starting center Robert Williams III is recovering from knee surgery and expected to miss training camp.

Now, the Celtics might be without their coach for a meaningful portion of the season. If he does wind up suspended, Boston's road to a repeat trip to the Finals becomes even more perilous.

Back to top Go down

Ime Udoka faces significant suspension by the Celtics??? Empty Re: Ime Udoka faces significant suspension by the Celtics???

Post by bobc33 Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:16 pm

Well we obviously have to wait for much more information to come out, but this off season is a significant bummer so far.

Back to top Go down

Ime Udoka faces significant suspension by the Celtics??? Empty Re: Ime Udoka faces significant suspension by the Celtics???

Post by steve3344 Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:27 pm

Boston Globe didn't add anything specific:

Celtics coach Ime Udoka facing disciplinary action for violation of team rules
By Adam Himmelsbach Globe Staff,Updated September 21, 2022, 33 minutes ago

Celtics coach Ime Udoka is facing a suspension for a violation of team rules, a league source confirmed late Wednesday night.

The source said the discipline likely will be decided shortly, but declined to elaborate on Udoka’s apparent misstep.

Udoka, 45, led the Celtics to the NBA Finals last year in his first season as an NBA head coach and finished fourth in the voting for coach of the year.

The Celtics are scheduled to hold media day on Monday before opening training camp at the Auerbach Center on Tuesday.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:31 pm

I've seen a lot of conjecture in the comments in an article about this on Yahoo. I'll wait for the facts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:33 am

Wow... the blows keep coming this offseason.

Have not posted much the last year, but have been around for the entire turn around of the team and the road to the finals, where I think they missed a golden chance to win it all. In a similar fashion to many other younger stars have in the past when they reached this last step for the first time so not so unexpected Smile.

The core of the turnaround to me was Udoka and his blue collar, no nonsense attitude.

If what has already been reported almost as a fact is confirmed though... I do not see how much credibility he would be left with...

Very disappointed in him myself (again if confirmed) and I would have a tough time having him lecturing me on accountability if I were on the team...

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:22 am

Had consensual relationshp with a Celtics employee...WTF...exactly that.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:44 am

Sources: Boston Celtics coach Ime Udoka facing disciplinary action for relationship with member of franchise's staff

ESPN

Boston Celtics coach Ime Udoka is facing disciplinary action expected to include a significant suspension for his role in a consensual, intimate relationship with a woman who is a member of the franchise's staff, sources told ESPN on Wednesday night.

The relationship was considered a violation of the organization's guidelines, and a decision on the length of that suspension is expected to come as soon as Thursday, sources said. While no final decision has been made, internal discussions have included scenarios that would keep Udoka out for the entirety of the 2022-23 season, sources said.

It isn't believed that Udoka's job is in jeopardy, sources said.

Udoka's top assistant coach, Will Hardy, left to become coach of the Utah Jazz, and another Jazz finalist, Celtics assistant Joe Mazzulla, would likely be in serious consideration for an interim role, sources told ESPN.

Udoka replaced Brad Stevens as coach. Stevens moved upstairs to be Boston's president of basketball operations after his predecessor in that job, Danny Ainge, chose to leave the organization.

In his first season as coach, Udoka oversaw a remarkable turnaround in Boston, one that saw the Celtics go from being under .500 in late January to closing the season with a 28-7 record over their final 35 games. They then authored an impressive run through the Eastern Conference playoffs, advancing to the NBA Finals for the first time in 12 years.

Udoka is the fifth coach in the past 25 years to reach the NBA Finals in his first season as a head coach, and the first since Nick Nurse in 2019.

He also, according to ESPN Stats & Information research, became the first rookie coach to win multiple Game 7s in his first postseason. Udoka led Boston to victories over the Milwaukee Bucks in the Eastern Conference semifinals and the Miami Heat in the East finals in seven games before Boston lost to the Golden State Warriors in six games in the NBA Finals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:45 am

dboss wrote:Had consensual relationshp with a Celtics employee...WTF...exactly that.

I think you are missing or omitting some information here, but I am not one to point out the obvious so perhaps take another look at it?

In any case as it is not allowed disciplinary action is of course to be expected.

This is by far not the problem however. It will be his credibility from this point forward.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:59 am

Common sense dictates that the somewhere in the relationship there was sexual harrasment becoming intwined in the relationship, or IME wanted to break the relationship and she came forward. Either way she had to report it to management. IME has to be a fool to become involved with a relationship like this.

Van Gundy anyone!

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:05 am

I am not sure what they will share about the details, it really doesn't matter. "Intimate relationships" with subordinates, consensual or otherwise, are most likely to be considered a violation of the organization's guidelines.

The guidelines are in place to avoid conflicts when and if the relationship ends. Who is more likely to lose their position after a situation like this, the person in the position of power or a staff member?

If it was with someone outside of the organization, it would be a bad look, but it most likely would not be a cause for suspension.

Bad judgement on his part could turn into a lack of trust in him by others.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:42 am

Vankisa wrote:
dboss wrote:Had consensual relationshp with a Celtics employee...WTF...exactly that.

I think you are missing or omitting some information here, but I am not one to point out the obvious so perhaps take another look at it?

In any case as it is not allowed disciplinary action is of course to be expected.

This is by far not the problem however. It will be his credibility from this point forward.

Van

I did miss something.  Never stick your pen in the company inkwell.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:42 am

If I was voting as part of the management group, I would vote to fire IME. There are hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and to have your head coach screw up with something like this is putting the franchise at risk for many reasons.

First if the team flounders and does not do well during the season which costs them to not reach the finals you have a big loss of revenue not only during the regular season games but the playoff as well.

Second loss of respect by players if he comes back next year.

YOUR FIRED!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:34 am

Wife told me a year suspension.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:40 am

112288 wrote:If I was voting as part of the management group, I would vote to fire IME.  There are hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and to have your head coach screw up with something like this is putting the franchise at risk for many reasons.

First if the team flounders and does not do well during the season which costs them to not reach the finals you have a big loss of revenue not only during the regular season games but the playoff as well.  

Second loss of respect by players if he comes back next year.

YOUR FIRED!

I wouldn't be surprised if he was released at some point. This will become a huge distraction for the next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:40 am

Just watching ESPN, looks like a year suspension, and Joe Mazulla will be interim coach. Details are sketchy as to what really happened. I guess more details will emerge. Terrible start to what could be a great season.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:47 am

Celtics17 wrote:Just watching ESPN, looks like a year suspension, and Joe Mazulla will be interim coach. Details are sketchy as to what really happened. I guess more details will emerge. Terrible start to what could be a great season.

I read elsewhere what happened, but I ain't sharing it. I will wait until it comes from official channels.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:48 am

Celtics17 wrote:Just watching ESPN, looks like a year suspension, and Joe Mazulla will be interim coach. Details are sketchy as to what really happened. I guess more details will emerge. Terrible start to what could be a great season.

I’d be surprised if Mazzulla gets the interim job. A quick google of him shows skeletons in his closet.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:51 am

The hits just keep on comin'

On the positive side, nice to see Vankisa posting and the addition of Celtic 17.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:54 am

Checking a source.
However, if he did have a relationship as reported I don’t see how that undermines trust or credibility from his players. Management for sure.
Players? As much booty as they come across. Please

Let’s “blow” all of this out of proportion. Pun intended
Geezus gripes

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:55 am

Thanks NY Celt

Wish I joined under better circumstances.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:58 am

gyso wrote:

I read elsewhere what happened, but I ain't sharing it.  I will wait until it comes from official channels.

😳?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:05 pm

dboss wrote:
Vankisa wrote:

Van

I did miss something.  Never stick your pen in the company inkwell.

This sh** is getting out of hand. Quiet down all you altar Boys

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:46 pm

It has nothing to do with being an altar boy and everything to do with corporate ethics.

He'd better find something to do with his time
The fact is he just been caught

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:52 pm

Coach is gone for a year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/reports-celtics-ime-udoka-suspended-155437345.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:56 pm

I'm not sure i agree with this decision. but i'm just a fan, not my company.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next