Trivia (Hope it's tough)

3 posters

Go down

Trivia (Hope it's tough) Empty Trivia (Hope it's tough)

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:30 pm

I collected (and still do a little, but Marcus has taken over the lead) sports cards for many years.

As a run of the mill player Sam Vincent had a nice albeit sort of brief NBA carieer, even played for Celts.

Anybody care to guess what is unusual about his 1990-91 Hoops card?

beat

PS if you have to google OK but let me know. Just wonder if anyone knows this off the top without help.
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Trivia (Hope it's tough) Empty Re: Trivia (Hope it's tough)

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Here is the card!

Trivia (Hope it's tough) Sam_vi10

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Is that Michael Jordan in a no. 12 jersey?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Yep thats right but can you tell me what is unusual about it?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:00 pm

I'll save you the time

Jordan wore the number 12 in one game in 1990. His jersey was stolen from the locker room just before the game and he had to use 12 as a replacement. As luck would have it, 1990-91 Hoops set features a card for Sam Vincent from this game. Michael Jordan is awaiting a rebound in the foreground wearing the number 12 jersey.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Beat,

That is a great card! Definitely a keeper.
I collect cards but my son hasn't shown too much of an interest.
With cell phones, IPODS, ITouch, computers, facebook, etc, it's easy to see why kids don't have an interest in cards.
My wife wasn't too happy when one day about 11 years ago, I had bought a lot of cards and came home with 125,000 cards...
She was happy when I sold most of them and more then doubled my money.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:28 pm

TJ

My only regret is as a kid all those 1950 and 60's cards that I destroyed. I had a neighbor up the road from us that gave me a shoe box full off 1950 cards (mainly Bowman color cards with black/or red print on the backs), i remember seeing Mays Mantle Musial Williams Snyder Spawn (oh so many stars) what those would be worth now I don't even care to think about. Only a few survived and no big stars either.. Only started saving them in the 70's. Got a few complete sets but most are missing some.

Do have the Nolan Ryan rookie and a few other prize ones however.

Marcus goes after individual cards not sets. Plus he is in the autograph market and send several requests out.

To me his best one is from John Wooden and personalized autographed 8x10 of the wizard of Westwood!

Side note

Just reading a bit about Odoms Tech last eve. Although it may have not directly led to the loss as Turk hit a trey right after to push the lead to 5 but the call was certainly appeared to be unwarranted. Wonder if it had been Kobe not Odom if the same tech would have been called?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:43 pm

beat,

You and so many others lost out on a lot of money from cards that were misused/destroyed. I have never liked autographs because the vast majority are fakes but if you can get them in person, then they are pretty cool. Even the autographs that have COA's don't mean anything to me.

It was a questionable T call especially since it was called by the referee away from the basket. I am still ok with it as the players need to learn to curtail their conduct. Would it have been called on Kobe? Probably 50/50.
That was an unbelievable shooting display from Phoenix, especially in the 3rd quarter. There was nothing LA or any team could have done to stop that because Phoenix was on fire. Many of the 3's were with a guy in their face and most hit nothing but net. The same thing hapened in the 4th quarter against Denver. With Nash's dribble penetration and pick and roll expertise, when Phoenix is draining 3's all night they can beat anyone.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down