ESPN kills National Network Sports Programming in NY!

2 posters

Go down

ESPN kills National Network Sports Programming in NY! Empty ESPN kills National Network Sports Programming in NY!

Post by Ktron Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:54 am

ESPN New York 98.7 WPEN FM is overhauling it’s on-air lineup to better compete with WFAN "The Fan".

Before we peel back the layers on this NY situation let me preface it by saying that
It’s always been my philosophy that locally programmed stations with local talent will always outshine nationally syndicated shows- if done right.
I worked at a radio station that was an affiliate of a morning show that I would eventually come to direct programming and operations
for 5 consecutive years. The ABC radio Networks nationally syndicated Tom Joyner morning show.

The TJMS was always able to secure AAA guests and interviews where most locally programmed stations would have very little access to. Presidents Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama. Emmet Smith, and Magic Johnson became regulars on the show as well as high level entertainers and movie stars.
This is the edge that the nationally syndicated shows had over locally programmed stations.
We had 118 affiliates nationwide and I can tell you that some markets and stations that did not renew contracts and decide to go local fared better once they made that move. Not all of them. Just the ones that did it the right way.

The stations that went with local programming and high level morning show talent scored higher ratings than when they were airing Syndication. Why?
The stations that programmed to their local audience developed a connection to that listener by being accessible. The local talent talked about things going on in the listeners communities. They showed up at small and large events in the market and engaged the listener one on one. They became intertwined in their community.

This is where syndicated shows are most vulnerable.
They’re unable to focus in on one market when they’re airing in I18 different markets.
Sure they have AAA guests and interviews but they lack connection to the local
Listener.

This is what’s happened in NY.

ESPN with all of their high level and big named hosts could not fully penetrate the market because their content was mostly global and not targeted to NY. People in NY (and other cities) like the idea of being able to hear an interview with a Steve Kerr or Bill Belichick but would much rather hear about what’s going on with their local teams. They would rather hear from Tom Thibadou, Walt Frazier, Kevin Durant and whoever’s coaching the Brooklyn Nets. That’s one of the main reasons why WFAN "The Fans" been winning.

So ESPN is killing the morning show with Jay Williams, Keyshawn and Max Kellerman and going local with Rick DiPietro and Dave Rothenberg.

The nationally syndicated Bart and Hahn show will revert to a strictly local show.
Michael Greenbergs "Greeny" show will continue in the 10a -noon slot.
Greenberg’s show is still nationally syndicated but he is a huge Jets fan so there is still a bit of a local touch as he connects well with the NY audience.

Here’s a good example as to why the switch is being made.

The locally programmed Boomer Esiason and Gregg Giannoti morning show pulled a 6,1 share 8a-10a in their targeted demo - Men -25-54.
Kellerman and the boys on ESPN could only manage a 1.8 share

They are on the same station that airs Knicks and Ranger games and still cannot compete with the locally programmed WFAN.
So apart from Greenbergs 2 hours, ESPN will now have local programming from 6a-midnight.
It’ll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Sirius XM is hurting

They are losing subscribers and word is that over 5000 employees will be let go.
NBA radio on Sirius XM had already dropped their midday show from 9-12p and instead are rerunning the morning show with Frank Isola and Scalabrine.
When not airing NBA games at night they are rerunning daytime programming in particular Frank and Scal. that’s almost 6 hours of reruns of the morning show.
Here’s some possibilities as to why the one monopoly satellite radio company is in trouble.

Aging out:

Younger folks prefer Spotify or Apple Music for their content. They’re also conscience of monthly subscription charges that pressure their income.

The changing auto:

The delivery system satellite radio was designed for us transitioning into the world of CarPlay and Android Auto making satellite not the only alternative to overly commercial terrestrial radio.

Declining car sales:

The critical try-before-you-buy formula that allowed new car owners to get hooked on satellite radio is producing fewer new customers due to a decline in car sales

The picture:

Sirius Xm will continue with the cost cutting by eliminating employees. It’s the fastest way to show a decrease in operating expenses.
Satellite radio subscribers will continue to age based on the cutoff point between loving Spotify or wanting Sirius XM.
If you haven’t been listening lately, Sirius XM has been heavily pushing their app and out of car experience. So far the effort have been to no avail.

The Forecast:

Terrestrial radio had been hijacked by greedy private equity people who only know how to destroy companies by throwing too much debt on them cutting expenses while hurting content.
Satellite radio is like the big 3 terrestrial radio groups (Iheart, Audacy, Cumulus) a monopoly that has failed to deliver the next generation of content for the digital age so they will suffer together.

Not a pleasant outlook at all..

Ktron

Back to top Go down

ESPN kills National Network Sports Programming in NY! Empty Re: ESPN kills National Network Sports Programming in NY!

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:14 pm

Interesting

That’s the station I listen to all the time in my car, can’t even listen to radio in my own home lol. I actually love Michael Kay at 3. The most entertaining shows are after the Yankees lose another playoff series and he rips them. Goes in depth on everything management has done wrong. This has been going on for awhile.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

ESPN kills National Network Sports Programming in NY! Empty Re: ESPN kills National Network Sports Programming in NY!

Post by Ktron Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:25 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Interesting

That’s the station I listen to all the time in my car, can’t even listen to radio in my own home lol. I actually love Michael Kay at 3. The most entertaining shows are after the Yankees lose another playoff series and he rips them. Goes in depth on everything management has done wrong. This has been going on for awhile.

There ya go! Local and relatability. Its basically impossible to do a show that’s appealing in Manhattan, NY and Manhattan, Kansas
:>)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:39 pm

Ktron wrote:

There ya go!  Local and relatability. Its basically impossible to do a show that’s appealing in Manhattan, NY and Manhattan, Kansas

Actually my brother lives in Boston and every now and then I ask him what’s he been hearing on Boston talk radio. I wish I could hear the Boston sports talk….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:05 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Ktron wrote:

There ya go!  Local and relatability. Its basically impossible to do a show that’s appealing in Manhattan, NY and Manhattan, Kansas

Actually my brother lives in Boston and every now and then I ask him what’s he been hearing on Boston talk radio. I wish I could hear the Boston sports talk….

Haven’t listened lately (you can on their websites) but what I do know is that WBZ FM who carries the Celtics and the Patriots games are THE number one most listened to station in all of Boston with a 10.5 share. Their direct competitor, WEEI has barely only half of the listeners with a 4.9 share.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:34 pm

Thanks Kitron, good to know….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down