+4
bobc33
jrleftfoot
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Tatum Sets Record in All-Star Game Empty Tatum Sets Record in All-Star Game

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:47 am

I don't watch ASGs, none of them, so I didn't see this one.

Tatum with a record 55 points on 22-31, 10-18 from 3, 10 rebounds, 6 assists and 4 turnovers.  Only 2 ftas.  That's probably because it's the ASG and nobody comes within 3 feet of their man on defense.  Can't get fouled if nobody gets near you.  In fact, there were a total of 4 ftas the entire game and they were all with Team Giannis.  Team LeBron had zero ftas.  Yeah, that's why I don't watch these games.  Anyway, congratulations to YOUR BOSTON CELTIC JAYSON TATUM FOR WINNING THE ASG MVP!!!

I do wish that Joe hadn't played Tatum 35 minutes though. C'mon.

Jaylen was on Team LeBron.  He had 35 points on 16-27 but only 3-12 from 3.  14 rebounds with 5 offensive, 5 assists and zero turnovers.

Donovan Mitchell had 40.  That's how it went.  Tatum with 55, Mitchell with 40 and then the #3 scorer in the game was Jaylen.  Not a bad showing for our boys.  Jaylen deserves credit and he got a chance to show the NBA world that he's elite.

Now it's time to rest and finish the job that's most important.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401524696

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Tatum Sets Record in All-Star Game Empty Re: Tatum Sets Record in All-Star Game

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:16 am

I watched the first half to see our guys in action, but, characteristically, I turned it off before JT went crazy.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:30 am

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:42 am

Watched 5 minutes and turned it off for a cooking show. The All Star game for years has become a BIG NOTHING! It's only value is for people who suffer from sleep apnea and want to go to sleep quickly!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:35 am

Coach Mike Malone said it was the “worst basketball game ever played.”

All Star weekend is a really big deal for players today. Though I’ll bet there were many old fogies like me who didn’t watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:22 am

Slept through most of the game. I did see where JT and JB were going at each other, but even that was with a minimal of defense. Happy for JT that he won MVP, but the game is a joke. They showed some highlights of Jordan vs kobe in Kobe's first ASG and there was D being played. Hate to date myself but I remember when they played this game hard. I remember game winning shots by Jerry West and Bird. However, I get it, you don't want anyone to get injured.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:25 pm

Bob 33 & Celtic 17

I am glad I was not the only one who witnessed tighter defenses during All Star Games!

I get a bigger kick out of the Harlem Globe Trotter and the Washigton Generals square off then the present squareoff All Star Game. at least I will see interesting trick shots being made!

Not sure how if ever they can improve the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:28 pm

There's one way to improve the ASG...cancel it. I'm not sure who's watching it if anyone.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:23 pm

The All-Star Game is a great opportunity for non-superstar players who don't play a ton of minutes to get even more rest so they can continue to be fresh and ready to play more limited minutes in games; and for superstars to take turns doing layup and shooting drills, with a few days of time off before and after them so as not to challenge their already load-managed, minute-limited seasons.

In other words, it's Spring Break for pampered highly-paid professional players as if they were still 18 year old kids in college.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:24 pm

While the Salt Lake Circus was coming to a close with the finale being that Thang they have the nerve to call a game that was not being played but instead being played with,
I was busy watching replays of last weeks Memphis win at the garden then I popped in a DVD (yesss DVD. Call me Ole School cuz I got the boxset. I no care.) and watched game 4 of the 2008 NBA finals where we came back and took out the Lakers followed by the game 6 beat down by 39 to win 17!! Lawd I had me a good ole time!

Listen, The NBA All Star game is a disgrace. Congrats J and J but the rest of it can go you know where. The league headed by Adam Silver, who I am losing respect for every time he opens his pie hole needs to get a grip.

I know this to be fact. A few years before the bubble, the league approached Lebron, CP3 and a few others about the quality of play in the All Star game.
The league wanted to know how the players and league can make it better and more competitive.
The players stated that the league needed to lessen some of the obligations put on the players during that weekend.
One of the main items was engaging with the media. The players repped by CP3 asked to be released from that obligation and the league agreed. Jokes on us.
Since then the game has gotten worse. The players like Lebron and others are not taking it serious. They’re playing with the game.

One of the youngest players participating was Anthony Edwards who was warming up while TNT was trying to conduct an interview. Guess what Edwards did. He continued to warm up. At least he was taking the game more serious than some of the veteran clowns ant the Salt Lake Circus.

Kobe Bryant always used to stress that the fans want to see the players get after it. The fans want to see what he termed “The greatest pick up game ever”. Kobe used to insist on giving effort during the All star games.
We now have so many Prima donnas there for the party that good basketball is a 2nd thought.

Today I heard an interview with Domonique Wilkins and he was asked why some of the bigger name stars like LeBron (his name wasn't mentioned but one could catch the drift) don’t participate in the Slam Dunk (I refer to it as the Sham Dunk) contest anymore. Domonique said that he felt like that they were scared to lose and get dragged on social media. ‘They no longer want to risk the chance of getting shown up’. I believe him.

The entire weekend is a fiasco. A Circus. The fact that the league feels like they have to come up with incentives to make the game more compelling is a joke.
The league is part of the problem. Sponsor after sponsor after sponsor after event and more events that most folks could do without. The greed is appalling and yet they still are trying to come up with incentives.
What the???
Hey Adam, when a Clown moves into a Palace he doesn't become King, the Palace becomes a Circus. And so it is….

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:51 pm

My concern for the Jays was centered around them not getting hurt. All is well and despite the (minus zero defense) our guys played great.

The game is now just a gimmick.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:28 pm

Tatum played 34 minutes? SIASJ

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:05 am

Forgot to mention one thing to provide perspective:  Jaylen was the #3 scorer in the game, but he led Team LeBron in scoring.  Tatum and Mitchell were on the same team, Team Giannis.  Jaylen outscored Embiid, who played more minutes, and positively buried both Jokic and Luka. Coming off the bench Jaylen was the Alpha on Team LeBron.

I hate ASGs but this was a great marketing opportunity for the Boston Celtics, as far as attracting free agents etc, with the head coach and top scorers on each team all being Celtics.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:59 am

Bobh,

Agreed.  Let's call it what it is and treat it as such.  Spring Break.  Everybody take the whole week off.  Cancel the ASG and the whole weekend.  When I went on spring break in college, I had no other things to study for nor did anything school related.  I left town and for the most part, no one cared where I went or what I did.  I had no obligations.  Things change.  I get that.  Have no problem with that.  Let's go with the flow and dump this complete waste of time.  It's passed it's prime.  It's ok to admit that, drop it and move on.

All those guys deserve a week off in the middle of the season or whenever they want it. Let's give it to them and make it complete break from basketball.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:15 am

And since we did the school yard pick the way we did it this year, let's logically extend that to the annual draft.  Instead, let the teams with the worst records get to pick the worst players first, not from the the best.  Everybody gets a trophy!

Thanks, Adam.  Is it time for a new commish?  All this bs is on his clock. Just curious.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:31 pm

The Celtics were clearly on display with  the Jays.

CJ had an opportunity to connect with the players.

I watched a pregame interview with JB.  He stated that it was Brad Stevens who came to him and told him that the Celtics were not going to trade him.  I thought it was Wyc who was the first to do so but according to JB, it was Brad.

There is something to be said about the way that Boston has built a contender.   As other teams strengthen their rosters, the Celtics remain the target.   Boston just goes about the business of improving their team without cracking open the core.

While temptations have been there, the Celtics have been able to keep their big picture in focus.  

Build around the Jays (Danny Ainge) Go about the business of surrounding them with outstanding players that provide positional flexibility and fit into a timeline that will enhance the teams ability to remain competitive over a long period of time.

Watching the ASG certifies that the Celtics have one of the best if not the best pairing of two exceptional basketball players.  Other teams have made huge trades to create their own dynamic pairings but those teams sacrificed depth in the process.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:50 pm

Danny here recently said that he almost traded both draft picks that netted Tatum and Brown to get Jimmy Butler who he loved.
Thank God that never happened.

Tatum also said that Ime was/is his favorite coach. That speaks loudly because he’s responding to Joe’s coaching which speaks loudly for Joe as well.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:08 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/02/jaylen-brown-wants-changes-to-all-star-game-after-glorified-layup-line.html?utm_campaign=celtics_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR15O285j0_PPJQOHpYtzcXKSbxGzGMPzBuzIOq57nDt9C05icHkGoOlHK4

Jaylen Brown wants changes to All-Star game after ‘glorified layup line’

Published: Feb. 20, 2023, 1:41 p.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics had a memorable All-Star Weekend in 2023 after Jayson Tatum landed the MVP honors for the game after a record-breaking 55 points in the win. Yet, the quality of play in the exhibition remained uncompetitive throughout in a 184-175 win for Team Giannis. Even with the Elam Ending factored in during the fourth quarter, very few attempts were made by either side to play competitive defense throughout the four quarters.

That reality led to Jaylen Brown getting candid about what he would like to see from the game going forward.

“All is fun in games like this,” he said. “Real basketball is different. This was like a layup line. I don’t know how much notoriety we would want to to get from this. This was a glorified layup line. We got to figure out how to make the game a little bit more competitive. If the fans like it, that’s all that matters.”

Team LeBron coach Mike Malone echoed Brown’s sentiments in the fallout of the contest.

“It’s an honor to be here, and it’s an honor to be a part of great weekend with great players, but that’s the worst basketball game ever played,” Malone said. “I don’t know if you can fix it. I give Joel Embiid and Kyrie Irving [credit], those two guys were competing. They tried to get some defense in. No one got hurt, they put on a show for the fans, but that’s a tough game to sit through, I’m not gonna lie.”

After winning MVP honors, Tatum was unsure about what type of change could be made but did speak fondly of his first All-Star game which provided much more drama down the stretch.

“It honestly just depends,” Tatum said about All-Star changes. “I think they’ve done a good job changing the ending of the game. But, you know, safety first, right? It’s supposed to be fun. You don’t want anybody to get injured or get hurt.

“But it’s always great for the game and for the fans. Especially if it comes down to the last couple of buckets, like it did in Chicago the first year. That was the most competitive All-Star Game I’ve been a part of, and that was incredible.”

Bob
MY NOTE: Just one more reason to love Jaylen.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:54 pm

Jaylen is 100% right about the AS game.Globetrooters/ Generals was more competetive
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down