Mark Cuban opens up and kinda takes some of the blame- kinda

4 posters

Go down

Mark Cuban opens up and kinda takes some of the blame- kinda Empty Mark Cuban opens up and kinda takes some of the blame- kinda

Post by Ktron Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:12 pm

Not necessarily a C’s friendly piece but to listen to Mark Cuban (who I truly admire) dance through this interview tells me at least one thing for sure, d brown is right!

Read for yourself if for nothing else but to check and make sure your BS meter is fully charged.

( u have spare time. Our next 2 games mean are practice runs )

DALLAS — Mark Cuban’s spontaneous media availability, unprompted and unscheduled, began on the courtside seats across and to the left of the Mavericks’ home bench at the American Airlines Center, hours before the team beat the Sacramento Kings 123-119 to keep their Play-In Tournament hopes alive. A couple of reporters started talking to him, then a couple more joined, prompting Cuban to repeat some of the same talking points for the sake of
“I wanted to come out here and talk, because I haven’t talked much,” Cuban said. “I’ve let (Jason) Kidd and Nico (Harrison) run the show, and I’ve talked to Nico and them when necessary, but it’s a different world with Nico now. I’ve wanted him to be the communicator, but once a year or so, it’s worth coming out to talk to you guys.”
Then Cuban grinned when he added, “Even though it’s a mistake.”
Cuban wandered through and took stances on a dozen different topics in the 30-plus minutes he spoke, touching on everything from the team’s official protest filed after a loss two weeks ago against the Golden State Warriors (“They’ll tell us we’re right, but they won’t replay (the game)”) to his distaste for recent media criticism of Luka Dončić. Some of the more notable things said included:
Cuban adamantly alleged the team never had a chance to re-sign Jalen Brunson.
Although Brunson and his father, Rick, have both said they were open to a midseason extension in the winter months leading up to the 2022 trade deadline, Cuban said it was never available and claimed Rick hijacked the negotiations when the deadline was closer.
“Where it went south was when Rick took over,” Cuban said. “When the parent took over, or the parents took over.”
Cuban also claimed the team was never given any chance to re-sign Brunson this past summer, even telling one reporter it was “bulls—” if he believed they were despite the team holding Brunson’s Bird rights, which allowed them to offer more money and an additional year than any other team when Brunson reached unrestricted free agency.
“We didn’t know what number to bid for,” Cuban said. “The guy did not want to stay. His dad did not want him to stay.”
Cuban said re-signing Kyrie Irving was the team’s top offseason priority, although he stopped short of promising a max contract.
“I’m not going to negotiate with you,” Cuban said when asked about the monetary value it would take to retain Irving. He also cited the changing nature of the league’s collective bargaining agreement, which has yet to be ratified by the league’s owners, as a factor that would impact not only how his team behaved this summer but
“It’s not Kyrie or bust, but we want to re-sign him,” Cuban said. “I’m done giving ultimatums on players like I did last year.”
Cuban backed Kidd as the team’s head coach next season.
Kidd, who was hired in the summer of 2021 after Rick Carlisle’s departure, had been praised for the team’s unexpected success last season but criticized for this year’s downturn.
“I don’t think it’s J-Kidd’s problem that we didn’t have an identity,” Cuban said. “The game changed in ways we didn’t expect it to change, so I blew it. It was on me, personally, because the game changed in terms of the take fouls and the speed of the game and where you need to be defensively. We just didn’t make the right changes that we need to. That we (thought we) would be fine defensively, and we weren’t fine defensively. And that’s where I made a mistake.”
When asked about the impact of the take foul on the league this season, Cuban said, “It’s sped up the game by not being there.” He said the team has performed better against teams that play slower but struggled defensively against faster, more athletic teams.
Dallas’ average number of possessions per game — which is the definition of the stat colloquially known as pace — has increased from about 95.5 possessions last season to about 97 this season. It’s true that, across the league, overall pace has increased on a consistent basis by about seven possessions per game since the 2012-13 season.
But average pace has declined slightly this season (99.1) from its peak in 2019-20 (100.3), which is to say that the take foul’s introduction this year has not meaningfully impacted the league’s overall tempo beyond pre-existing trends.
That said, Cuban took responsibility for this season’s failures. It’s exceedingly clear Kidd will be retained into next season regardless of this season’s disappointment. Shortly after Cuban’s comments, when Kidd himself was asked about Cuban’s backing, he responded:
“Did you guys ask me that question last year?” he said. “F— no. I’m just asking. Why would you ask it now?”

In Wednesday’s win, Dallas now has a clear path to make the Play-In Tournament, albeit one that remains out of its control. Dallas’ final two games come against the Chicago Bulls on Friday, a team that has already forecasted it might rest key starters, and against the tanking San Antonio Spurs on Sunday. If the Mavericks win both games and the Oklahoma City Thunder lose to either the Utah Jazz on Thursday or the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday, Dallas would be the final Play-In team.

Kidd said he wouldn’t watch Oklahoma City’s game on Thursday. “I’ve got to prep for Chicago,” he said. “We’ll see what the score is.” Dončić said he had dinner planned that night but planned to sneak looks on his phone at how the game was going.
There’s a tricky conversation around the Mavericks right now, one where many fans and media members — ones such as myself, to be completely transparent — do feel like the team’s best hopes for the future involve retaining that top-10-protected pick that’s otherwise owed to the New York Knicks.
“Of course I understand,” Cuban said when asked about that conversation. “We’re four games out of fifth (in the West), but we are where we are.”
Players, of course, compete. It was magnificent to watch Irving hit his typical array of impossibly difficult shots in the fourth quarter against the Kings, who were on the second night of a back-to-back but still played all of their stars. There’s a clear vision of what the Mavericks could be if, as Cuban says, they can re-sign him and build back some sort of defensive identity that helped propel them to last year’s conference finals.
“It would’ve been nice to replace (Brunson heading into the season),” Cuban said. “But now we know we can be great offensively. We know we have to get better defensively, and that’s an easier problem to solve.”
That’s all true. Unexpectedly having a first-round pick this summer would perhaps make that even easier. Re-signing Irving would be required. But there still exists the real possibility that Dallas does none of the that: Not having postseason success, not retaining any draft picks, not re-signing Irving, not knowing what any clear path forward would be.
Wednesday’s win was a temporary salve on a wretched season, but it doesn’t calm any of the pre-existing fears. What lies ahead in the coming months for the Mavericks still feels more important than anything that might happen on the court in the remaining days of this season, and what should have been a joyful victory still feels hollow.

Tim Cato

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Mark Cuban opens up and kinda takes some of the blame- kinda Empty Re: Mark Cuban opens up and kinda takes some of the blame- kinda

Post by dbrown4 Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:21 am

Thanks, Ktron. You know me too well, though. I throw a bunch of stuff at the wall, some of it has to stick!!

My latest prognostication I've pushed all-in on is a repeat of what should have happened last year but has been delayed to this summer...Armageddon In Philly I'm calling it now. I'll get out the the predicting business if that doesn't happen in a few weeks with great accuracy after PHI losses their last game of the year/season.

I too respect Cuban. More jealous than anything!! Why not me?!! We put our pants on the same way every morning!! He's a good guy. He's achieved the American Dream his own way, God Bless Him.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Mark Cuban opens up and kinda takes some of the blame- kinda Empty Re: Mark Cuban opens up and kinda takes some of the blame- kinda

Post by Ktron Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:46 pm

Well by my count you are 2 for 2 with your predictions that I have paid close attention to.

1-Brooklyn

You saw it coming before they took the floor at the beginning of their first pre season game with the big 2 + 1 in Durant, Irving and Harden.
I have to admit I thought you were dead wrong and that Brooklyn was going to get at least 1 Ring out of the deal.
Ahhhhhhh WRONG I was. Right you were. 1 hunned percent.
They folded up like a bad hand in poker and with a quickness!.

2. Cuban

Doesn’t matter how much he wants to insert Nico and Kidd into the conversation.
It’s his team and he totally blew it with Brunson and this trade.
He could have re-upped Brunson way before his Pappy got hired by the Knicks but did not. He let the clock keep a ticking until it was too late. The Knicks said ‘Too hell with Adam Silver and the NBAPA, we violating this Shizzle by bringing in the Pappy and then it was ovah!
This has Cuban’s finger prints all over it. He let Steve Nash get away in similar fashion when he could have kept hm and maybe won their first one way before 2011.

I do believe Cuban hires his people and lets them do their job-to an extent. When it comes to the big signings and trades, he’s involved and maybe he shouldn't be.
Despite that, Cuban is a brilliant entrepreneur that sometimes gets in his own way.
Nash, Brunson and Irving are major mistakes that set the franchise back.
But when he had both Don and Donnie Nelson working for him, he and Don didn't see eye to eye and that relationship turned ugly and dysfunctional.
Don signed a new contract then later publicly stated that he only signed it after his friends “got him drunk”.
Don later went on to coach the Warriors and Cuban insisted that Don breached his contract and did not want to pay him the rest of his deferred money. An arbitrator ruled against Cuban and he still insisted on not paying Don.
While all this was going on, Donnie was still employed by the Mavs and remained employed for an additional 12 years.
I thought it was admirable of Cuban to not let what was going with Don effect his keeping Donnie on.
But wait..after 24 yrs with the Mavs, Donnie was fired by Cuban and THAT turned messy as well with Donnie suing for wrongful termination.
It’s a long story but Mav’s nation and Cuban have had their troubles and are now looking somewhat incompetent. The question as to who is responsible is still being tossed around but be it it good or bad, it always starts at the top.

So Dbrown, looks like you too called this one and I believe you may be right about Filly. 3 for 3? We’ll see…

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:11 pm

Mark Cuban has made several really bad decisions.

I do not blame him for the Brunson departure.

They are now faced with a major roster reconstruction project.

Kyrie Irving will be leaving at the end of the season and he is likely to sign with the Lakers.

The shiny object syndrome has brought forth a serious case of buyer's remorse.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:27 pm

dboss wrote:Mark Cuban has made several really bad decisions.  

Kyrie Irving will be leaving at the end of the season and he is likely to sign with the Lakers.

Dboss, Question-Why don’t you blame Cuban for the Brunson departure?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:52 am

Ktron wrote:

Ktron 

Brunson's dad got an assistant coaching job with the Knicks.  That gave the Knicks an unfair advantage.  

Besides that, players who become free agents often sign with other teams.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:51 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:

Ktron 

Brunson's dad got an assistant coaching job with the Knicks.  That gave the Knicks an unfair advantage.  

Dboss, your last sentence has very little if nothing at all to do with the Brunson signing.

Also, prior to the 21-22 season Brunson would have re-upped with the Mavericks for $55.5 million. HALF of what he got from the Knicks. Brunson’s people tried to initiate conversation to get the deal done and the Mavericks resisted.

This all took place BEFORE Brunson’s Pappy got the gig.

Brunson wanted to stay with the Mav’s long haul. Cuban and the Mav’s looked the other way and now they're paying for it.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:37 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:

Ktron 

Dboss, your last sentence has very little if nothing at all to do with the Brunson signing.

Also, prior to the 21-22 season Brunson would have re-upped with the Mavericks for $55.5 million. HALF of what he got from the Knicks. Brunson’s people tried to initiate conversation to get the deal done and the Mavericks resisted.

Brunson wanted to stay with the Mav’s long haul. Cuban and the Mav’s looked the other way and now they're paying for it.

ktron

Brunson was eligible for and extension after the 20-21 season.  From what I read the Mavs were reluctant to make the offer which would have been around $55.5 million for 4 years.  What i read indicated that he did not have a particularly good playoffs ( 12.6 reg season average and that dropped down to 8 ppg in the 2021 playoffs)  I read that he was upset that Rick Carlisle  cut his minutes.

In early 2022 I read that the Mavs wanted to extend him at the $55.5 million figure but Brunson did not want to sign.  He was having a breakout year and wanted to becomes an UFA.   The Mavs trip to the WC finals only served to enhance his value.

I do not fault the Mavs for not offering an extension by Oct 2021 because they were not sure if Brunson, a second string PG, was a guy they wanted to extend.  By the time they realized what a great fit he was playing along side Luka and under a new coach, it was too late.  No matter what they did they were not going to be able to retain him.

Brunson chose the Knicks for several reasons.  His dad, Rick Brunson, was hired by Leon Rose who was Leon's first NBA client when he was an agent.   I also read that Leon Rose is the Jalen's Godfather and Leon Rose's son, Sam Rose, is the agent for Jalen Brunson.  All the strings are tied together.

Who knows if Jalen would have taken the contract extension before the start of the 2022 season whether it was offered or not. As it turns out, it is a good thing for him that he did not get extended.

Per ESPN’s Tim MacMahon, The former Villanova star was eligible to sign a $55.5 million extension with the Mavs last summer, (2021) but they never even discussed it with Brunson after his playoff struggles against the Clippers. That said, once he broke out in January and started to thrive, Dallas came calling with the new deal right after the trade deadline in February. However, Brunson simply wanted to finish the season and focus on the task at hand.

The Knicks were found guilty of tampering.

In sum, I see very little culpability on the part of Mark Cuban.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:48 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:

Ktron 

ktron

Brunson was eligible for and extension after the 20-21 season.  From what I read the Mavs were reluctant to make the offer which would have been around $55.5 million for 4 years.  What i read indicated that he did not have a particularly good playoffs ( 12.6 reg season average and that dropped down to 8 ppg in the 2021 playoffs)  I read that he was upset that Rick Carlisle  cut his minutes.

In early 2022 I read that the Mavs wanted to extend him at the $55.5 million figure but Brunson did not want to sign.  He was having a breakout year and wanted to becomes an UFA.   The Mavs trip to the WC finals only served to enhance his value.

I do not fault the Mavs for not offering an extension by Oct 2021 because they were not sure if Brunson, a second string PG, was a guy they wanted to extend.  By the time they realized what a great fit he was playing along side Luka and under a new coach, it was too late.  No matter what they did they were not going to be able to retain him.

Brunson chose the Knicks for several reasons.  His dad, Rick Brunson, was hired by Leon Rose who was Leon's first NBA client when he was an agent.   I also read that Leon Rose is the Jalen's Godfather and Leon Rose's son, Sam Rose, is the agent for Jalen Brunson.  All the strings are tied together.

Who knows if Jalen would have taken the contract extension before the start of the 2022 season whether it was offered or not.  As it turns out, it is a good thing for him that he did not get extended.

Per ESPN’s Tim MacMahon, The former Villanova star was eligible to sign a $55.5 million extension with the Mavs last summer, (2021) but they never even discussed it with Brunson after his playoff struggles against the Clippers. That said, once he broke out in January and started to thrive, Dallas came calling with the new deal right after the trade deadline in February. However, Brunson simply wanted to finish the season and focus on the task at hand.

The Knicks were found guilty of tampering.

In sum, I see very little culpability on the part of Mark Cuban.

Brunson proved he could enhance this team prior to 21-22.

Again they could have extended him at a much lower number but chose not to address it.
They knew what he could bring and at that number ($55) For 4 years at right around 13 mil a year was a bargain compared to what others were getting on the market.
I read all of those pieces that you posted but I live here and know what’s embellished in those articles.

My initial post/response was to The Mavs and Cuban painting a false narrative by saying they had no chance in signing Brunson once the dad/family got involved.
Of course. By then it was too late. Conveniently they don’t mention prior to.

The part about Brunson wanting to finish it out was Brunson knowing that he was having a great year, the team was excelling and now that 55 mil is no longer enough. Now the Mavs wanna have a sit down. Too late.

The numbers regarding his averages don’t tell the whole story. Good basketball people can pretty much assess what they have and act accordingly. Either they did not recognize it or they were being cheap and playing the hand. It was dumb and they compounded that by knee jerking for Kyrie which completed the self destruction of a contending conference title team a year ago.

Prudence dictates that if they had been proactive and signed him at the
Bargain rate of just under 13 mil they wouldn’t be in this mess.
Folks in Dallas know it. The writers know it. It’s clear. Cuban blew it.

At this point- F em’’! It’s Their problem. Their season is done and ours it just beginning. We’re on to 18. Let’s Njoy this ride!!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:39 am

Ktron,

Agreed.  Our season is just beginning.  DAL will continue to step on landmines and catch all the unpinned hand grenades coming their way starting today as our season is just beginning.  Have fun with that, Mark.    

I'm guessing the playoff thread will start shortly, but with just a preamble, I'm hoping that as we quietly went 8-2 the last 10 game, best in the East and completely unnoticed around the league, we don't have too many lapses of minor things that plagued us finishing out.  Won't rehash.  We know what they are.  The Lakers and Warriors were the only other teams to go 8-2 in the last 10 games.  That might tell us something.

I'm hoping we come out against the Heat probably and go up 2-0.  No dicking around, just come out and take care of business.  The recent shining of Doogie and P-Squared (nice 3D that went almost unnoticed by the announcers I thought!) could not come at a better time.  These two will play a reasonably minor but very important secondary part in determining our success and capturing Banner 18.  

Next tier up is the obvious Derrick White and Malcolm Brogden.  Much bigger contributions will be expected from them and they will deliver.  With their spectacular performances all season, I don't see any reason to believe they will pull a James Harden.  (That's sad about Harden because that's what he's going to be referred to and remembered by when he finishes this season in about a month from now, if not sooner.  No telling where he will wind up after this summer is over)  Would love to see the Nets try to pull the carpet out from under PHI after all BKN has been through this year.  But if they don't, we will put the final nails in their coffin, hopefully with emphasis.  I'd put RWII in this tier as well given the ups and downs.  He's a disruptor for sure and we need him.  But those three dudes have to bring it consistently.  2 are a lock.  RWIII is the variable.  

Then you've got MS and AH.  Al's got maybe another year left, but he's got to get it done this year if he wants a title.  He's earned a Celtic championship in effort alone with us, deserves it and this is the best chance he's going to see to make it a reality.  Nothing is promised for next year.  MS is still the heart and soul but this hasn't been his best season with his ups and downs.  He'll come around.  

Finally, the leaders.  J-Squared.  The way I see it, anything less than Banner 18 is going to start sawing the the legs off a 3-legged stool, IMHBAO.  These two have played together quite a while.  The Death Star is fully operational.  There are no more excuses.  I'm thinking JT is feeling the pressure of jacking up our Finals record last year.  Boston doesn't make the Finals as often as the Lakers, but when we do get there, we win.  And he busted last year.  He understands the Celtic Mystique and all the pressure back to Russell that comes with that and what to do once you get to the Finals.  He gets it now.  

So barring any brain farts in the first three rounds, look out for JT.  He's on a mission.  And I hope it just pours out.  Pressed down, shaken together and overflowing.
JB is JT complementary sidekick.  Fire and Ice.  Zig and Zag.  Ying and Yang.  Whatever you want to call it, we have the best dynamic duo in the league.  PERIOD.  And that's not my biased, humble, but accurate opinion.  That's a fact with no counter argument.  

Yes will will have a couple of bad games.  We won't go 16-0.  No one has.  But it would be nice if we were the first!!  The worst we can go is 16-12.  The 2008 team was very close at 16-10.  I'm expecting better now, though.  Now's the time to do what we do best.    

Hopefully we will make quick work in the first round but who knows.  When all was said and done and there's clearly was more said than done, we were one game shy of the best record in the league.  Quite spectacular and it should be noted.  Forget the losses in HOU and WAS that would have put us in first.  We can and do regularly win on the road.  We won't be playing HOU and WAS in the playoffs.  Don't need #1 seed in East this year.  Bucks taking the easier road again and will be pummeled for it...again.  Rick Flair said it best.  To be the best, you have to beat the best.  Our trek this year through the playoffs will show that.

OK, that was a little more than a preamble.  More like the Constitution!  Anyway, looking forward to all the posting and games coming our way!  Let the playoffs BEGIN!!!!  

Go Celtics!!  Love you, Ktron!

db

P.S. If this trend continues, Ktron, I may have to change my schtick. For everything I predict that is non-Celtic based, Push All-In. For every game I predict that involves the Celtics, push All-In the opposite/other side!!! You should be a gazillionaire after that!!

Last edited by dbrown4 on Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:50 am

dboss,

When is that shiny object going to lose its luster?! After three times of being passed around, you would think the league franchises would have figured it out. I hope Kyrie can get his crap together. He really is a spectacular player but his elevator needs some serious repairs. And I honestly don't know if it's him or those around him. Probably both.

Him possibly going to LAL will only push off the inevitable one more season. Even though it would be a CLE reunion party, things have gotten WAY off track since those days. And LAL will learn the hard way just like each of the franchises that have gone before him. But that's LA. We love it when they eff up.

Love you too, brother.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:49 pm

Any bets on how long before Jason Kidd is given his skates? He is the one that came out and basically said that they sat the players because he was told to.

I think he’s gonna get whacked.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:27 pm

Ktron wrote:Any bets on how long before Jason Kidd is given his skates? He is the one that came out and basically said that they sat the players because he was told to.

I was really surprised that Kidd told the truth but how else was he going to explain why the team gave up when a potential Payin seed was still possible, Look for the Mavs to get fined because they tanked. Their 1st rounder is top 10 protected (they owe the Knicks at 11 or lower) A just reward would be for the bouncing ball to put them below the 10th position. And then when Kyrie walks the full impact of the dumbass trade can be worn by Cuban.

Kidd took that team to the WC finals last year and can hardly be blamed for this year's roster. I do not think he will be fired by Cuban but I could see him leaving on his own.

There will be coaching openings in Detroit and Houston and maybe Toronto.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:11 pm

I think the key thing here is dboss has the cutest grandkids in the history of grandkids!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:09 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:Any bets on how long before Jason Kidd is given his skates? He is the one that came out and basically said that they sat the players because he was told to.

I was really surprised that Kidd told the truth but how else was he going to explain why the team gave up when a potential Payin seed was still possible,  Look for the Mavs to get fined because they tanked.  Their 1st rounder is top 10 protected (they owe the Knicks at 11 or lower)   A just reward would be for the bouncing ball to put them below the 10th position.  And then when Kyrie walks the full impact of the dumbass trade can be worn by Cuban.

Kidd took that team to the WC finals last year and can hardly be blamed for this year's roster.   I do not think he will be fired by Cuban but I could see him leaving on his own.

There will be coaching openings in Detroit and Houston and maybe Toronto.  

Dboss,
I was surprised too that Kidd spoke and basically laid out what everyone knew. He really didn't have to and most in his position would have avoided saying it which gives me the impression that Kidd is fed up with the nonsense.
I never really thought he was a good coach but he did do a good job last year.

If they fine the Mav’s for tanking then they should fine San Antonio, Houston, Charlotte and the others that tanked the entire season. That would be equal justice but even though the league and the entire universe knows that those teams too went into the tank, they really can’t prove it. The Mav’s were so obvious with when and how they did it and then with Kidd’s statement, they are liable to pay a hefty one.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:11 pm

bobc33 wrote:I think the key thing here is dboss has the cutest grandkids in the history of grandkids!

Thanks again bobc33

My little ginger snap turns 2 next month

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down