gyso
dbrown4
cowens/oldschool
11 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Playoff thread 2023 Empty Playoff thread 2023

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:04 am

Thought we could get any discussions in on the playoffs right here. What an historic ugly game Lakers just pulled out over Timberwolves. Both teams couldn’t even give that game away, although both tried….mistakes and bad possessions galore, so bad, brick contest by both teams in 4th quarter.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Playoff thread 2023 Empty Re: Playoff thread 2023

Post by dbrown4 Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:17 am

Lakers should be playing again on Friday, but alas.  Let them fulfill their disappointment coming vs. MEM.  It will be a good series, but LAL will not be advancing beyond the first round.  

Remember, MIN was severely handicapped with all their crap and still managed OT and chances to win it.  Lakers were at full tilt.  I wouldn't be to happy.  Scared is more appropriate.    

I don't know who thought up the play-in set-up with the 7 vs. 8 and 9 vs. 10 along with the scheduling but they should be shot.  The day off on Thursday is idiotic.  It creates B2B'S!! WTF!!! Do it like the NCAA and have it a smooth, every other night line up like the playoffs will be.  Am I missing something?  Probably.  Please explain the logic.  7 vs. 10 and 8 vs. 9 makes the most sense.  Win and you're in.  4 games, not 6.  But I see 6 games means two more games of revenue.    

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:31 am

cowens/oldschool,

If you want to dump my Western Conference Play-in/Playoff Thread into this, I'm cool with that! Got a little ahead of myself!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:53 am

dbrown,

There are no BTB games in the play in.

Tuesday:
(2) 7-8 games, winner gets 7th seed.  
East winner plays on Saturday, the beginning of real playoffs,
West winner plays on Sunday (which is kind of odd),
Both losers play on Friday.

Wednesday:
(2) 9-10 games,
The winners play on Friday for 8th seed, loser goes home.

Thursday:
Off

Friday:
(2) 7-8 losers play 9-10 winners,
Both winners get the 8th seed and play on Sunday,
Both losers go home.

Saturday:
Playoffs begin.

6 games total to decide 7 and 8 seed in each conference. Zero BTBs.

This is actually a well thought out process and brings a little spice as an intro to the playoffs.  It eliminates some of the late season tanking as lower seeds still have something to play for.

The odd thing is where both winners of the first two 7-8 games do not start the playoffs on the same day, Saturday.  The winner in the West gets an extra day off.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:04 am

More info here:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35805161/nba-play-tournament-2023-schedule-projections-standings

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:27 am

SCREAM
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:22 pm

By the way the Lakers T'Wolves game was one of the ugliest games that I have ever suffered through. I could have turned it off but just like some gruesome horror movies I Stayed with it to the end.

Do not be surprised if the Bulls knock off the Heat. I am also taking OKC over the T'Wolves because the T'Wolves are an ultimate expression of an asinine team.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:42 pm

Toronto went to the locker room shaking their heads last night. I watched bits and pieces of this game LaVine really turned it on in the second half, they kept doubling DeRosen, he was unreal, but the real story here is Toronto missed 18 free throws. Think DeRosen's little girl had anything to do with this outcome?? Everytime some one went to the line she screamed. Tooo much
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:45 pm

Sorry, gyso. My bad. I meant the B2B from the last play-in game on Friday to Saturday's first playoff game for the 8th seed. Like adding insult to injury. Yeah, 7th seed coasts.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:23 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Sorry, gyso.  My bad.  I meant the B2B from the last play-in game on Friday to Saturday's first playoff game for the 8th seed.  Like adding insult to injury.  Yeah, 7th seed coasts.  

db  

Neither winner from Friday (8th seeds) will play on Saturday. They play on Sunday.

One of the 7th seed winners (Hawks) will play on Saturday against us and the other one (Lakers) play on Sunday.

There are no back to backs in the Play In, none transitioning to the playoffs and none in the playoffs.

Fun fact: The play-in games are not considered to be regular season games, nor are they considered to be playoff games. A player could have the game of the century and it wouldn't set a new regular season or playoff record.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:40 pm

dboss wrote:By the way the Lakers T'Wolves game was one of the ugliest games that I have ever suffered through.  I could have turned it off but just like some gruesome horror movies I Stayed with it to the end.

Do not be surprised if the Bulls knock off the Heat.  I am also taking OKC over the T'Wolves because the T'Wolves are an ultimate expression of an asinine team.

+1

It was like 2 teams trying to lose, but they couldn’t even give the game away

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:55 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Toronto went to the locker room shaking their heads last night.  I watched bits and pieces of this game   LaVine really turned it on in the second half, they kept doubling DeRosen, he was unreal, but the real story here is  Toronto missed 18 free throws.   Think DeRosen's little girl had anything to do with this outcome??  Everytime some one went to the  line she screamed.  Tooo much

Rosalie

The girl was very loud. I would like to believe that pros would not be impacted by noise distractions. The Raptors are not a good FT shooting team. There overall shooting percentage is 26th in the NBA however to miss that many free throws is pretty shameless.

The girl could get banned..lol She did her job and did it well.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:25 pm

Really, if she was my daughter, I would be a little embarrassed, but not as embarrassed as Toronto players if it even remotely affected them. I just think they stink at free throw shooting. It is a shame to watch a player like Siakam miss two really important free throws at the end of the game. But then again, we have an issue at times on our team, i.e. Jaylen and Grant???? At least Smart was wily enough to miss and get his own rebound!!! I think it will be a long summer for Toronto, and probably their “ex” coach, as he believes he is going to be let go. What a world, he won a title a few years ago
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:01 am

gyso,

Don't know WHAT schedule I was looking at!  You are correct.  With both #1 Seeds playing on Sunday, all is cool.  Still don't know why they put a Thursday day off this week in the middle of the play-in. Build-up? Anticipation?  

I'm warming up to the play-in, but in the end, the reaction seems to be the same, in that these games are great and they are exciting, then you realize these teams are barely getting in.  And they kinda suck no matter how you spin it.  You can look at NBA Playoff history and the results are overwhelmingly in favor of the #1 & #2 Seeds.  Like lambs and cows being led to slaughter.  

Now since most of us are addicts for NBA basketball, we watch!!  You can put lipstick on a pig...And with all 6 of these games, in the end you still have a POC.  But I'll give the NBA credit.  It's something different and they need young faces to replace all us old geysers going into the future.  

But hey, now we get to look forward to the MID-SEASON TOURNAMENT!!!  

Rosalie,

I'm going to hopefully take the words out of Ktron's mouth before he responds but it sounds like the media has literally run out of things to print to get views and attention! Which at this stage of the year is shocking!  Plenty to report on.

Yes, cute kid.  Dad's proud regardless.  Feel good story.  I get it.  Fans have been yelling at players for years to no avail.  Let's see her after the end of the first round at the latest and how things are working with the yelling at the opposing team.  She's going to be fine.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:28 pm

db,

Wednesday's winner plays again on Friday. That is why Thursday is an off day because it eliminates a W-Th B2B.

I agree that historically, 7-8 seeds rarely compete. Open that up to 9-10 seeds and there will most likely be some bad basketball. With that being said, the play-in tournament met some if not most of the league's goals.

They were able to eliminate some of the late season tanking, resting of stars, etc., which actually resulted in some pretty bad basketball. The fans were revolting! (They sure are! - LOL) The league had to try something. Now some of the smaller market teams get a little national broadcast exposure along with a little extra money that comes with that.

Yeah, we are Celtics fans and expect more, but we are spoiled by our team. It seems like we are always on ESPN or TNT and we are always in the playoffs. Some teams don't get even a tiny whiff of that and maybe this will throw a few breadcrumbs their way.

I agree, the jury is still out on the mid-season tourney. It may also take a couple seasons first, in order to convince 12 angry men!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:38 pm

it is all about television and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:44 pm

I, m sure I'm in the minority, but I find the play-in games a huge success. Where else can you see two teams play as badly, with so much at stake, as Lakers/Wolves? And , hey, missing 18 free throws is a major acconplishment. My tongue seems to be stuck to my teeth with super glue
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:16 pm

jrleftfoot,

I'm detecting an ever so slight bit of sarcasm in your tone!!! I know, I'll save you the reply, "Thank you, Captain Obvious!!

Now on to the real playoffs. Please come out hot and stay hot Boston!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:09 pm

Dear Duece Tatum
If you insist on being up past your bed time during the playoffs, take a hint from Diar DeRozan and make yourself useful 😂

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:46 pm

I think the Thunder need a competent center.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:43 pm

Here's a link for 2023 playoffs info, plus a bracket:

https://www.nba.com/playoffs/2023

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:24 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Really, if she was my daughter, I would be a little embarrassed, but not as embarrassed as Toronto players if it even remotely affected them. I just think they stink at free throw shooting.  It is a shame to watch a player like Siakam miss two really important free throws at the end of the game.  But then again, we have an issue at times on our team, i.e. Jaylen and Grant????  At least Smart was wily enough to miss and get his own rebound!!!  I think it will be a long summer for Toronto, and probably their “ex” coach, as he believes he is going to be let go.  What a world, he won a title a few years ago

Toronto has such a big athletic frontline and wings and their defenders can all defend multiple positions…..they somewhat remind me of us. They should be alot better.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:00 pm

Anthony Davis' arm went dead on, what looks like, zero contact. Probably a stinger, he returned after halftime.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:40 pm

I can’t believe Hillbilly Kobe, Austin Reaves just morphed into Jerry West!! Totally took over the 4th quarter

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:36 pm

Wake up call in Memphis!

db

P.S. Wake up call in Phoenix, too!! Really like that one!! And finally, although it will never happen the way we want it, WAKE UP CALL IN MIL!!!

Crazy Sunday fo sho!! Boston, please refuse to participate! You did accidentally, ever so slightly leave the door open Saturday. Slam that ^%($& door shut on Tuesday. Leave no doubt who is in charge.

Last edited by dbrown4 on Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next