Celtics17
sinus007
bobheckler
dboss
8 posters

Go down

Celtics vs Hawks Round 1 Empty Celtics vs Hawks Round 1

Post by dboss Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:25 am

The Celtics need to set the tone for their series vs the Hawks in the first game.

The Hawks will come in flying high on the heels of their upset road victory over Heat, a team that sweep them in the regular season 4-0.

As we know, the Celtics had no problems beating them this season while posting a 3-0 record. It did not matter who was playing or who was sitting out. The Celtics were the superior team and it was not even close. Consider a few meaningful statistics.

The Celtics averaged 126.7 PPG in their 3 meetings while shooting 52.2% from the field, 46.5% from deep on (22-47) and 83.3% from the foul line. These are 3 game off the chart averages!

They also averaged 32 assists per game and only 12.3 turnovers and 45 rebounds.

Some guys only played in 1 or 2 games. Derrick, Sam and Blake participated in all 3 games. Robert Williams did not play in any of the games.

Jayson Tatum (2G) 26.5 PPG and Jaylen Brown (2G) 23 PPG, scored below their season averages.

Here's the kicker...you ready. 10 Celtics players averaged double figures in scoring against the Hawks. Al Horford was not one of them (2 games played)

CELTICS IN 4
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics vs Hawks Round 1 Empty Re: Celtics vs Hawks Round 1

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:27 am

I agree 100% with DBoss that the team we played a couple of days ago is not the team we'll be playing Saturday, but I'm still not worried.

We do need to put a body on Capela, though.

Hawks have the 3rd offense, scoring 118.4ppg.  We are 4th, scoring 117.9ppg
Hawks have the 26th defense, giving up 118.1ppg.  We are 5th @ 111.4ppg.

Our Margins of Victory, which tell you how dominant we are is all in our favor, of course.  Our league-leading +6.5 dwarfs Dwarf Trae Young's Hawks' +.3.  In other words the Hawks were very slightly better than breakeven.  This isn't shocking given their season record was a breakeven 41-41.  When winning is hard you have a lot of tight games and sometimes you win tight games and sometimes you don't.  

We're 32-9 at home while they are 17-24 on the road.  That bodes well for us and our home court advantage.  We're also a winning 25-16 on the road vs their home record of 24-17.  Our road winning record is better than their home winning record.

Take care of business and rest up. The next round will be a lot tougher.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:13 am

Hi,
I watched last night's game. It looked like MIA didn't get the memo that they playing ATL until the second half of the 2nd quarter. At times, I even thought that they are tanking to get MIL in the 1st round.
The other side, ATL, didn't play much of defense. Hopefully, they continue this trend in the next 4 games.
As for the Celtics, if they treat hawks as bucks 4-0 is the most probable outcome of this series.
My prediction, though, is 4-1.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:26 am

Bob

The Hawks are very good on offense.  They were ranked 7th.  Their issue is on the other end where they ranked 22 in defense.

The Celtics took full advantage of that.  

Capela was a monster on the glass last night.

RW did not play in any games against them. Without him they outrebounded us by 2.

In absense of a bad case of overconfidence, the Celtics should be able to smoke them.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:29 am

CJ can use what happened to the Heat as motivation for them to play Celtics quality basketball.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:29 am

I was watching the game last night and was rooting for the Hawks. About midway through the third quarter I started to get a little uneasy. Trae Young is a very good player, especially when he plays under control and distributes the ball. Clint Capela is an excellent defensive player and rebounder. Murray, Bodon, Hunter, Collins etc all good players. They definitely have a deeper and more talented team than Miami.

We can't take these guys lightly. I don't we will relax against them. If we keep our intensity high on the defensive end, I see this this as Celtics in five.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:00 pm

With the facts presented above I can argue nothing. Intangibly, ATL is a different team with its new coach. They have nothing to lose. And they played like it last night.

But there is indeed quite a difference between the top heavy East and the last ones in to the dance. I'm leaning toward to 4-1 but a broom would be very nice. I'm sure with all the time off, SIASJ/MCO will have them relaxed, rested and focused. That will be Step #1 he will take. 1st Game/1st Round of the playoffs with him at the helm. Needs to be a convincing win completely unlike what the Lakers just displayed. I can understand tightness in the first few minutes, but after that it should be business as usual.

Our trick will be when to bomb from 3-ville vs. when to quit that and start driving down the lane and how to mix those two in with good ball movement. That's really about it.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:21 pm

Celtics17 wrote:I was watching the game last night and was rooting for the Hawks. About midway through the third quarter I started to get a little uneasy. Trae Young is a very good player, especially when he plays under control and distributes the ball. Clint Capela is an excellent defensive player and rebounder. Murray, Bodon, Hunter, Collins etc all good players. They definitely have a deeper and more talented team than Miami.

We can't take these guys lightly. I don't we will relax against them. If we keep our intensity high on the defensive end, I see this this as Celtics in five.

Good take; I agree.

The Hawks have improved through the season. They have a good and developing group, stronger on the offensive end.

I think the Celtics will take the series, but I don't see a sweep. 5 or 6 games, I believe. Of course the fewer the better given our always iffy health status.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:15 pm

This feels like last year, 1st round.

Maybe they can steal a win but I do not think stealing a win will be permitted.  This team is healthy so how does a non defensive team stop our offense?  They won't. Our defense is on a championship level and getting better especially with Robs' return.  The Celtics will shut them down.

The Hawks have good depth but we look like the deeper team with more quality seasoned vets.

I think the Celtics will be looking to make quick work of the Hawks and not get themselves bogged down in an extended 1st round series.  

I expect them to act like they've been there before.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:55 pm

Besides the big advantage in the Tatum-Collins match up. Collins is just like Tatum without the shooting and scoring ability. They’re backcourt is going to be in big trouble. Trae Young scares no one on defense and Murray is more a tall point. We have Smart/White/Brogdon, plus an all NBA forward Jaylen, who moonlights in the backcourt. Hawks are going to have to not play Trae and Murray together too much and go bigger with Bey and Johnson to match up with our size.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:35 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Besides the big advantage in the Tatum-Collins match up. Collins is just like Tatum without the shooting and scoring ability. They’re backcourt is going to be in big trouble. Trae Young scares no one on defense and Murray is more a tall point. We have Smart/White/Brogdon, plus an all NBA forward Jaylen, who moonlights in the backcourt. Hawks are going to have to not play Trae and Murray together too much and go bigger with Bey and Johnson to match up with our size.
Cow

The sentiment down here in the ATL is that Young and Murray play too much my turn your turn basketball.  Sound familiar.

The biggest problem with the Hawks is that trae cannot defend his own position and he is vulnerable if he gets switched out on anybody else.  He is a terrific offensive player while Murray is an unreliable shooter from distance. Murray is a very good scorer overall and pretty solid on defense.  They have a good backcourt but no where close to our depth.

Bey and Johnson are developing players but at times they seem confused as does Hunter.

The experience factor favors Boston.

We have no defensive liabilities in our starting unit.  

The Celtics need to play with energy, force and great execution.  

Hawks have not been able to beat us all year long and I see no reason why that will change now.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:20 am

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Besides the big advantage in the Tatum-Collins match up. Collins is just like Tatum without the shooting and scoring ability. They’re backcourt is going to be in big trouble. Trae Young scares no one on defense and Murray is more a tall point. We have Smart/White/Brogdon, plus an all NBA forward Jaylen, who moonlights in the backcourt. Hawks are going to have to not play Trae and Murray together too much and go bigger with Bey and Johnson to match up with our size.
Cow

The sentiment down here in the ATL is that Young and Murray play too much my turn your turn basketball.  Sound familiar.

The biggest problem with the Hawks is that trae cannot defend his own position and he is vulnerable if he gets switched out on anybody else.  He is a terrific offensive player while Murray is an unreliable shooter from distance. Murray is a very good scorer overall and pretty solid on defense.  They have a good backcourt but no where close to our depth.

Bey and Johnson are developing players but at times they seem confused as does Hunter.

The experience factor favors Boston.

We have no defensive liabilities in our starting unit.  

The Celtics need to play with energy, force and great execution.  

Hawks have not been able to beat us all year long and I see no reason why that will change now.

Good analogy dboss.

If I was in our backcourt, I would be feasting on how were gonna tear up their backcourt, especially if they go with extended minutes with their starting backcourt. White and Brogdon will feast on little Trey, cannot imagine how easy Jaylen will bullyball on Murray.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:47 am

I cannot help thinking in the back of my mind to the 2008 Team.  I know there is no comparison.  I'm just looking at the path.  That team's first two rounds went to 7 games each.  Now they had home court, and expectations going in were high there as well.  And we got punched in the mouth.  But it was for our own good.  They needed to be punched in the face since they weren't as familiar with each other as teammates as this current team is.  That's what jacked up KG.  That team was amazingly resilient.  

Our usual MO currently and recently is to for some stupid or any reason to lay an egg and then follow that up with stellar play....but in the next game.

Is it possible for ATL to shock the world and win G1?  In Boston?  Possible, not probable.  Anything is possible per KG.  ATL has absolutely nothing to lose.  No one is betting on them.  This is more of a test for SIASJ/MCO.  Can he get and keep the troops in that killer mindset over the next two months that is needed to hang B18?  

This first game will say a lot.  If we come out and look like the Lakers on Tuesday, that's important.  If we come out and blow/run them out of the gym, that's important.  If it's a close game throughout, that's important.  We're going to pick it all apart ad nauseum here.

The big question that will be answered in short order is can SIASJ/MCO keep the foot on the neck of our opponents all the way through each series?  If so, that will take the spotlight off of him and put it where it belongs...on the team.  Coach needs to put the fire out early on himself so he doesn't become the focus of our ups an downs going forward.  All the talking heads are looking at Coach.  Per them, that's the Celtics Achilles with his lack of playoff experience.  We weren't thinking of Ime's inexperience at this point last year.  No one was.  

That whole issue needs to be put to bed in G1.  Additionally, a sweep would indicate he's on point and has the troops in line.  4-1?  Still good but 4-0 would set things right IMHBAO.

Our players biggest obstacle will be abandoning the 3 when appropriate and driving down the lane and getting fouls, And 1's, etc.  The three's aren't going to come as easily in the playoffs.  We won't see those barrages like we did during the regular season as the defense and the sphincters tighten up.  That's where SIASJ/MCO comes in and will earn his stripes.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:24 am

John Karalis @John_Karalis
about 19 minutes ago
Joe Mazzulla says Jaylen was a full go at practice with just some tape on his hand

Boston Celtics @celtics
about 14 minutes ago
Jaylen Brown went through all of practice today without any restrictions, according to Coach Mazzulla.

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
1 minute ago
Marcus Smart says he’s pretty close to 100 percent

Bob
MY NOTE:  And just like that Atlanta's odds just got much longer.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:15 pm

The Hawks beat the Heat because they outrebounded them by a ton, 63-39. That's a +24 in favor of the Hawks.

Miami is not a good rebounding team (ranked 26this year) The Hawks took full advantage of that.

The Hawks are ranked 16th in rebounding so that is one metric that will not help them beat us. Boston came in at #9 and played most of the season without Robert Williams.

I would be shocked if we do not smash them into tiny little pieces.

The Celtics will be playing 3 dimensional chess while the Hawks will rely on their expertise in playing tiddly winks.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:19 pm

dboss,

After your poignant analysis, I'm smashing the ALL-IN Button!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:25 pm

dbrown4 wrote:dboss,

After your poignant analysis, I'm smashing the ALL-IN Button!!

db

I am sure that some of the ups and down that produced missed opportunities to win more games against some scrub teams has Celtics Nation cautiously optimistic.

The Celtics finished 1 game behind the Bucks for the best record.  

As I have stated several times, my only concerns for this team were, #1, Rob's availability and #2, CJ evolving into an impactful coach.  Those concerns are no longer a factor for me.  

Everyone is all in that the Celtics will beat the Hawks.

So the questions comes down to how many games will it take.  

I see no good reason why the Celtics should let them win even one game.  They would have to revert back to some bad habits but I have a feeling that will not happen.   In this 1st round series, the only team that can beat the Celtics is the Celtics...........All aboard the 'Party Train' --  The Gap Band

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:28 pm

Now that is a great theme for the playoffs dboss!!!!

Save me a seat and some room on the dance floor on that Party Train! All aboard!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:23 am

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2023/04/13/nbc-sports-boston-is-looking-for-a-play-by-play-voice-for-first-two-celtics-playoff-road-games/

NBC Sports Boston is looking for a play-by-play voice for first two Celtics playoff road games

Brian Scalabrine, the color analyst on the broadcasts, mentioned on his SiriusXM show Thursday morning that he had reached out to Hornets voice Eric Collins about filling in.

By Chad Finn, The Boston Globe

April 13, 2023 | 2:13 PM

When the Celtics face the Hawks in Atlanta for Games 3 and 4 of their Eastern Conference first-round playoff series, an unfamiliar voice could be calling the play-by-play on NBC Sports Boston.

Recent circumstances and a scheduling quirk have led the regional broadcast home of the Celtics to seek a fill-in announcer for the first two road games.

Mike Gorman, the team’s legendary play-by-play voice, recently had surgery for a detached retina and is not cleared to fly.

Sean Grande, the team’s radio play-by-play voice on the 98.5 The Sports Hub network, has moved to the television side often this season. Gorman cut back his travel schedule significantly this season, and Grande moved from radio to TV seamlessly.

But Grande has a prior commitment to call Bellator MMA for Showtime and is unavailable for those two games. He would be available to move to the TV side if the series returns to Atlanta for Game 6.

Jon Wallach will handle the radio call in Grande’s absence.

NBC Sports Boston is working to find a fill-in for Games 3 and 4. Brian Scalabrine, the color analyst on the broadcasts, mentioned on his SiriusXM show Thursday morning that he had reached out to Hornets voice Eric Collins about filling in.

Gorman was hoping to go on the road but isn’t quite where he needs to be yet. He will call the home games from the Garden.

Game 3 also airs on ESPN, and Game 4 also will be on TNT.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:44 am

With Atlanta's porous defense if we have this kind of ball movement, they're doomed.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:35 pm

Great highlight reel.

I think the Celtics did a better job moving the ball more consistently during games this year. It's beautiful basketball to watch.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:08 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 13 minutes ago
Asked Joe Mazzulla about how much he is emphasizing rebounding against a team that has emphasized rebounding and rebounded so much to get to this game today where they will rebound some more. “More than the four times you just said it in that question.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:43 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:38 am

Tonight's game at 7 PM EST,  will be a series defining game for both teams.

The Hawks are trying to figure out how to beat the Celtics.  That is one tough nut to crack because the Hawks defense is not very good.  I expect them to come out with guns blazing as the obnoxious Atlanta fans experience earlier signs of euphoria.  Think of the comments from the other side posts that Bob shares with us. Reality is a sobering experience. Those fans like to run their mouths until someone punches them in the face. Here are the facts.

Poor little Rayford Trae Young.  He has made his bones being a scorer and distributor.  The fact is that Trae did not have a particularly efficient season on offense.  His numbers look good (26.2 PPG and 10.2 assists) but he shot 43% from the field and 32.5% from deep.  

Against a high end defensive team, his numbers have been even worse.  His 20 PPG average and 7 assists were produced as a result of shooting 35% from the field and only 23.1% from deep.  His 7 assists have been neutralized by his 5 turnover average per game. Everything is going sideways for him.  Even his FT shooting is down to 69.2% (88.6% Reg)

The Boston fans made sure that his recent overrated survey was proof enough to jeer him, given his below average play.

Can Trae find his comfort level back home?  If not, the Hawks chance to earn a victory will be even more difficult.

The Celtics are most difficult to beat because they have a deep and very talented team.  How do you ever know the way they will go about destroying things that their opponents need to do.

The Celtics want to tighten up a few things like fewer turnovers and more rebounds.

I expect a win tonight.  Championship level teams do not let average teams win.  There are bigger fish to fry but first, you have to knock all the guppies senseless.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down