gyso
worcester
prakash
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Bradley Beal To Phoenix  Empty Bradley Beal To Phoenix

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:55 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/suns-acquire-all-star-guard-bradley-beal-blockbuster-trade-wizards-report

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Bradley Beal To Phoenix  Empty Re: Bradley Beal To Phoenix

Post by prakash Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:58 pm

Well, there you go. Now the Celts brass understand the stakes. Lets see what marching orders are given to Brad Stevens.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:29 pm

Porzingis may be available and is a FA?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:50 pm

The Suns have four max contracts and we can't have two?

I think we can. Basketball Basketball

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:10 pm

Point well taken Gyso
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:32 am

Looks like The Charles Barkley Club for CP3.

a.k.a. Big Hat, Not Cattle Club, if you're into that kinda thing.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:47 am

worcester wrote:Porzingis may be available and is a FA?

Porzingus could really help us. J’s are going to have to decide is it all about the money or do they want to leave an overwhelming legacy and take a little less?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:02 am

Just read that Zinger is not an UFA until next season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/kristaps-porzingis-17832/
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:55 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
worcester wrote:Porzingis may be available and is a FA?

Porzingus could really help us. J’s are going to have to decide is it all about the money or do they want to leave an overwhelming legacy and take a little less?

The Zinger is a free agent.  By all accounts, we will be taxpayers above the first apron.  Receiving players via Sign and trades are OUT, NOT POSSIBLE.  Here, let me take care of this:

Kristaps Porzingis

Any player who meets the criteria for a max contract set out in the CBA has EARNED that money.  Fact.

That is what the goalposts are for.  The reality is that the top 10-15 or so players in the league are vastly underpaid for the amount of money they generate for the league.  If it was left to pure "supply and demand", the bottom 85-90% of the players would have to get second jobs and the league would suffer and maybe die.

Freeing up $5-10M per year by being frugal (cheap) DOES NOT open up any options to add another player.  Fact.

I understand that the concept of the new second apron is frightening to some, but it is team management's job to navigate to a final team salary that is somewhere under that amount.  Nickel and diming our top players to death is a fail.  I will guarantee that if the first offer to Jaylen is not the max, he will deem that offer to be a slap to the face.  Kiss him goodbye.

I already have an odd feeling that Jaylen is going to leave anyway.  I've had it for a couple of seasons.  I believe KTron mentioned something about this (forgive me if I am remembering wrong).  I hope we are wrong, but if the team offers less, that could be the last straw for Jaylen Brown.

I hope some of this begins to sink in, but after all, fans gotta be fans.  :afraid:

By the way, here is a list of free agents:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:58 am

First we've got to shed the "Kings of Making The ECF" Title we've now thrust upon ourselves. Problem is the landscape is always changing around us. Then we have to make sure we follow in the footsteps of past Celtic Champions...once you make it to the Finals, you're better than heads up Pocket Aces of winning the Title like our record to date. Well, close enough. 17/22= 77%. Need to win the next 3 attempts to square that.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:02 am

worcester wrote:Just read that Zinger is not an UFA until next season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/kristaps-porzingis-17832/

It seems like he has a player option due in two days? So, not a FA yet

Okay, it is still possible. $36M

WWBD?

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:27 pm

Gee wiz...I thought they were going to trade Jaylen..lol

Jaylen will not take less than he earned and since the Celtics can offer more than any other team, I see no good reason for him to walk.

The focus for Boston is to improve their roster.

NYCelt for years and years has advocated for adding a quality big.   Maybe he will finally get his wish.  

There are so many teams with financial challenges.  Those that are able to maneuver around and through the new CBA will be just fine.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:37 pm

dboss wrote:Gee wiz...I thought they were going to trade Jaylen..lol

Jaylen will not take less than he earned and since the Celtics can offer more than any other team, I see no good reason for him to walk.

NYCelt for years and years has advocated for adding a quality big.   Maybe he will finally get his wish.  

There are so many teams with financial challenges.  Those that are able to maneuver around and through the new CBA will be just fine.

How we gonna improve our roster with 2 max players at 60 mill?

These guys are good, but as we have seen they still need a lot of help.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:20 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:

The draft, free agency and trades.

No one will be making max money this upcoming season.

Every year the roster changes.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:28 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

The draft, free agency and trades.

No one will be making max money this upcoming season.

Every year the roster changes.

^^ This

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:36 pm

Assuming you have an established core, the only way to contend with the new CBA is through good drafting and hoping the salary cap raises enough by the time you have to re-sign them drunken

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:30 pm

Cow,

Maybe something to ease your mind a bit about the two max players each making 35% of the salary cap:

The "35% of the salary cap" calculation takes place in the first season of the contract.  After that, he can get the max raise of 8% each season.

The salary cap will increase by a maximum of 10% each season (cap smoothing).  If there is a spike year (the new TV contract, for instance) the amount above the 10% gets carried over to the next season, etc. until the contract runs out in 2029.  The way the cap has increased over time in the past, there should be enough increase profit over the life of the contract to average out (cap smooth) an increase of 10% each season.

If Jaylen's max salary increases by 8% each year and the cap increases by 10% each year, the actual percent of his salary becomes less and less than 35% of the cap each subsequent year.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-cba-101-everything-to-know-about-new-agreement-from-salary-cap-to-free-agency-and-beyond/

There is a link in the article that discusses Cap Smoothing in an older article, here it is:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cap-smoothing-101-how-the-nba-can-prevent-another-2016-like-spike-with-a-new-television-deal-looming/

The TV deal expires after the 2024-25 season, after which there could be another spike that they would like to smooth over.  With a steady 10% cap increase each year, it will also be easier to project real costs of player contracts over time, etc.

It is an untested process and time will tell if it works better than the old system.

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:03 pm

The greener pasture mindset got us the unfortunate Gordon Heyward, the one who shall not be named, and a broken down Kemba.One tam wins the Larry Obrian every year, and we act like these guys are failures. Lets dance with the ones who brung us and count on Brad to supplement them with the necessary associates.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:28 am

Thanks gyso

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:16 am

jrleftfoot wrote:The greener pasture mindset got us the unfortunate Gordon Heyward, the one who shall not be named, and a broken down Kemba.One tam wins the Larry Obrian every year, and we act like these guys are failures. Lets dance with the ones who brung us and count on Brad to supplement them with the necessary associates.

Gordon Hayward turned out to be a bit odd. I first noticed that when he and a ghost writer actually wrote multiple essays for "Why I chose your team". One for us, one for Utah and maybe one for the Heat. We had to wait over the long Independance Day weekend for him to finish all of them and then to hear his final choice. Then, after all the rehab and getting himself right, he leaves us to go "home". Who knew he had roots in Charlotte? He didn't and won't be living here after he retires.

20-20 hindsight says he should have picked the Heat.

Then the team went after a top point guard (twice) and got the Royal PITA and the soon to be broken down Kemba. We still have some fans that want to repeat that mistake, by all means. I read that someone mentioned bringing one of the stashed guys over from Europe to start for us. Crazy.

I'll stick with Smart, trimming a little of the end of bench, trading an asset or two for the "necessary associates" we need to get back on the dance floor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:20 am

Bradley Beal To Phoenix  Img_3818

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:48 pm

I thought GH was a perfect fit for the Celtics.

Everything that went wrong happened in the first few minutes of his very first game with Boston. It was a freakishly gruesome injury.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down