dboss
gyso
bobheckler
13 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2023 Summer League Thread Empty 2023 Summer League Thread

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:34 pm

Now that the draft is over the next two events upcoming are Summer League and Free Agency.

One player committed to play for us in SL is Mychal Mulder, University of Kentucky.  6'3", 195#.  He's 29 years old.  He played last year for the Sioux Falls Skyforce of the G-League.  In 36.3mpg he averaged 17.3ppg, 3.6rpg, 2.8apg and 1.3TOpg (2.15:1 assist-to-turnover ratio) with them.  He also shot 40.4% from 3.  He took 12.6fgas/game and took 10.3 3pt fgas/game, so that's his thing.

The schedules for SL haven't been published yet but they will take place in Sacramento, Las Vegas and Salt Lake City.  So no games in EDT cities.  That's different.

The dates are:

Sacramento - July 3-5
Salt Lake City - July 3--6
Las Vegas - July 7-17

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

2023 Summer League Thread Empty Re: 2023 Summer League Thread

Post by gyso Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:43 pm

Here are some links to summer league content:

https://www.nba.com/summer-league/2023

https://www.nba.com/news/2023-summer-league-schedules

https://www.nba.com/news/jazz-announce-return-of-salt-lake-city-summer-league

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2023-summer-league-rosters-whos-playing-where-this-year/

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nba-summer-league-prospect-tracker/

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:31 pm

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
about 47 minutes ago
#Celtics summer league schedule: July 8 vs. #Heat, 3 ET July 9 vs. #Wizards, 7:30 ET July 12 vs. #Lakers, 10 ET July 14 vs. #Knicks, 7 ET There will be at least one more game, TBD on BOS record/seeding.

Bob
MY NOTE:  So a Celtics team will be playing in Salt Lake City and Vegas.  Given the overlap between Sacramento schedule and SLC it makes sense to only do one of them.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:34 am

For what it's worth, we added a big to the summer league roster:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-celtics-summer-league-roster-224410770.html

Which leads to this article, which includes other invitees:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/boston-2023-sin-city-celtics-215753529.html

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:49 am

This is from International.  I just copied-and-pasted his contribution here to consolidate SL posts.

Mobile center , who can shoot the 3 with efficiency, not a good leaper , great passer for a center with that height.He is from Poland and is playing in Spain in the ACB league. Not a good free thow shooter.

Aleksander (Olek) Balcerowski a 7'1 with 22 years old and from Poland, is going to play with the Celtics in Summer league. Empty Re: Aleksander (Olek) Balcerowski a 7'1 with 22 years old and from Poland, is going to play with the Celtics in Summer league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ57vqVEGXg&pp=ygUWYWxla3NhbmRlciBiYWxjZXJvd3NraQ%3D%3D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6TNTGL2HpI&pp=ygUWYWxla3NhbmRlciBiYWxjZXJvd3NraQ%3D%3D

Bob
MY NOTE: I have never understood how any player can be a good 3pt shooter but a poor frito shooter. Has to be mental.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:58 am

Additions to the SL squad now include Jay Scrubb and Justin Bean.

Jay Scrubb - 6'5", 220#, almost 23 years old. Has played 24 NBA games, 22 with LAC (4 the first year, 18 the next) and 2 with Orlando last year. Spent most of his time in G-League.

Justin Bean - 6'7", 210#, will be 27. Signed a contract with the Grizzlies 9/22, was waived 10/22. No real NBA experience.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:15 am

Bob,

Maybe the guy can hit threes at a 40% clip. That's good.

Move him up to the charity stripe where it is supposed to be easier. His percentage of makes improves. To 69%. That's not really that bad. Not great, but not really that bad.

https://www.euroleaguebasketball.net/eurocup/players/aleksander-balcerowski/007553/

Here's some more links:

https://www.fiba.basketball/en/player/215071/Aleksander-Balcerowski

https://www.flashscore.com/player/balcerowski-aleksander/0SiLnWV2/

I tried to find something that captured all his stats in one place. I give up.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:43 pm

Report: Boston Celtics sign wing Vincent Valerio-Bodon to summer league deal

Justin Quinn
Sun, June 25, 2023 at 11:36 AM PDT

The Boston Celtics have added another prospect to their roster for the NBA’s 2023 Las Vegas Summer League. Per recent reporting from Stockriser’s Jake Weingarten, the “Celtics have signed Vincent Valerio-Bodon to a summer league deal”.

According to Weingarten. Valerio-Bodon had “multiple workouts during pre-draft, including a good one in Boston.” At 6-foot-10, 220 lbs., and 22 years old, the native of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic plays for the first-tier Hungarian Nemzeti Bajnoksag league ball club based in Sopron, Hungary. And while the level of competition there is not especially high, the fluid, athletic play of Valerio-Bodon on the wing is still quite intriguing.

A career 41.2% shot from beyond the arc on good volume, Valerio-Bodon is an excellent lead option in transition and can move the ball when needed and create his own shot.

On defense, his exceptional length for a wing helps create the sort of transition opportunities he thrives on, as does his propensity for pulling down boards to spark a fast break.

Bob
MY NOTE:  6'8 1/2" without shoes, 210#.  22 years old.

38.4% from 3.  Catch-and-shoot and movement shooter.  That's nice.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-profiles/nba-draft-scouting-report-hungarys-vincent-valerio-bodon

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:54 pm

Bob

I do not see where they will play in SL City
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:55 pm

bobheckler wrote:Additions to the SL squad now include Jay Scrubb and Justin Bean.

Jay Scrubb - 6'5", 220#, almost 23 years old.  Has played 24 NBA games, 22 with LAC (4 the first year, 18 the next) and 2 with Orlando last year.  Spent most of his time in G-League.

Justin Bean - 6'7", 210#, will be 27.  Signed a contract with the Grizzlies 9/22, was waived 10/22.  No real NBA experience.

Bob

Jay Scrubb

There's an unfortunate name for an athlete.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:59 pm

https://www.nba.com/news/jazz-announce-return-of-salt-lake-city-summer-league

SALT LAKE CITY – The 2023 Salt Lake City Summer League presented by America First Credit Union – a four-team, six-game event hosted by the Utah Jazz – will take place July 3, 5, and 6 at the Jazz’s downtown home arena. The Utah Jazz, Memphis Grizzlies, Oklahoma City Thunder, and Philadelphia 76ers will compete in the round-robin showcase. Now in its eighth consecutive year, the Salt Lake City Summer League is held in association with the Utah Sports Commission and Western Governors University.

DBoss is right, no Boston in Salt Lake City

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:06 pm

Yes, I was wrong about SLC. We are playing in Vegas only.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:10 pm

https://www.nba.com/news/wembanyama-nba-summer-league-debut

The event in Sacramento starts July 3, or four days before the one with all teams taking part in Las Vegas. San Antonio plays Charlotte in Sacramento on July 3, with the other matchups that day being Miami against the Los Angeles Lakers and Golden State taking on the Kings.

On July 5, Golden State plays Charlotte, San Antonio plays the Lakers and Miami faces Sacramento.

The NBA Summer League in Las Vegas starts July 7.

The California Classic!

Four teams from California plus Charlotte and Miami, because, why not?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:02 am

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/lists/nba-boston-celtics-walsh-words/

Jordan Walsh says all the right things during first appearance as a Boston  

Cameron Tabatabaie
June 26, 2023 8:02 pm ET

For some players, jumping from college to the NBA can be a difficult transition. In the blink of an eye, they’ve gone from big man on campus to lowest rung on the ladder. Incoming Boston Celtics rookie Jordan Walsh appears ready for that challenge, however. At an introductory charity event with his new team, Walsh told reporters he understands the task at hand.

“It’s just a lot of work,” Walsh said,” Now that I have the opportunity to work with guys like (Jayson) Tatum and (Jaylen) Brown, those people who have that experience, who can teach me and give me you know hints of wisdom so I can better my game, that means the world. And I have a whole summer to work with them to prepare for the season.”

The Celtics introduced Walsh at an event celebrating the refurbishing of a basketball court at Cambridge Community Center. Walsh was determined to make a good impression, and it appeared he did his homework. “I heard that Boston likes people who dive on the floor more than people who dunk the ball,” Walsh said. “That guy’s going to be me.”

Walsh led drills with local youth during the event and cracked jokes to the crowd. He seemed comfortable and excited to be a part of the moment. After, he spoke about joining the Celtics and what it means to him and his family.

“To hear your name called,” Walsh said, “It means the world to a guy like me who’s been dreaming of that. I’m glad I’m super happy to live in Boston. I’m just happy that I’m here.”

Earlier in the day Walsh met members of the Celtics organization and toured the team’s facilities. The experience made an impact on the 19-year-old.

“Just today I took a picture in front of the banners,” Walsh said, “That’s special, to have that accomplishment of being the best team in NBA history. That’s nothing you should be taking for granted. That’s years of development, years of love, years of trust, not just the players but between the fans.”

Walsh is a dynamic player with the athleticism and instincts that could help him crack Boston’s rotation next season. He told reporters he understands that hustle and defense are key to his success at the NBA level.

“That’s what’s going to get me on the floor now,” Walsh said of his defensive hustle. “And that’s what my game is. That’s the foundation of my game.”

“I’m going to do whatever it takes to get that stop,” Walsh continued, “That’s going to give us an advantage over the other team. And that’s a foundation for my game. And I so much pride in that.”

That determination was critical for Walsh during his lone season at Arkansas. He began the year as a starter before moving into a reserve role. Defense and hustle helped Walsh make a return to the starting lineup as the Razorbacks made a Sweet Sixteen run before losing to UConn, the eventual champions.

Walsh understands he’s been afforded another opportunity to grow and prove himself in Boston. He told reporters exactly why he was so intent on impressing during his workout with the Celtics.

“I know what type of organization Boston is,” Walsh explained, “I know that being able to be with guys like Tatum and Brown, who can give me wisdom and are in a winning environment, who have been to the playoffs so many times. To be with an organization that has so many championships, to be in that environment, to grow in a place like that as your first place in the NBA, that sets the foundation for your career.”

Walsh will have his first opportunity to impress on the court this July in Las Vegas as he and the Summer Celtics participate in the league’s annual Summer League.

Bob
MY NOTE:  “I heard that Boston likes people who dive on the floor more than people who dunk the ball,” Walsh said. “That guy’s going to be me.”  Yep, you got that right, Jordan.  We call putting out that extra effort for 50/50 balls "Tommy Points" here and if you want a long career here without being a great shooter then you need to become the next Marcus Smart and start racking up Tommy Points like he did. That was, to be honest, just about the most perfect answer a player like him, with his current skillsets and limitations, could have said.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:21 am

I am looking forward to seeing him play in the SL.

I will need to remind myself that great play in the SL often does not translate into  a roster spot.

This guys was drafted because of his defensive intensity.  Is there a role on the roster for a defensive minded guy?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:54 pm

dboss wrote:I am looking forward to seeing him play in the SL.

I will need to remind myself that great play in the SL often does not translate into  a roster spot.

This guys was drafted because of his defensive intensity.  Is there a role on the roster for a defensive minded guy?

Dboss,

Summer League is a collection of mostly players "on the bubble" of being invited to a pro camp at the end of September, where they will be "on the bubble" of making the team's roster, where their bubbles will be burst by the splinters they collect sitting at the end of the bench.  This is certainly likely of anybody who isn't a 1st round pick with a multi-year guaranteed contract with salary cap implications.  So, just like you, I do not put my weight into SL play or players.  

I do think, however, that some things in SL can carry forward to the NBA.  One is energy level.  I don't think we should expect these players to make perfect defensive rotations or execute offenses perfectly but if they're flying around the court contesting shots that translates.  Even if they're late, even if the reason why they're flying is because they blew a rotation, if the effort is there then it's about education, film and practice.  Defense is a lot about energy and grit.  If Jordan Walsh is getting in people's grill that's very good, even if commits a lot of fouls because he's overaggressive.  If he's challenging shots at the arc that's a good thing regardless if he should have been closer to begin with.

I think Walsh may have dropped to the 2nd round because he's 19 and not well developed on offense.  He's very defensive-oriented but weak on shooting and in today's NBA a weak shooter is a bubble player, a bubble draftee UNLESS you just lost your best defensive guard in a trade. It's not a huge hole, but it's big enough that a wholly-committed defender might make it through.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:26 pm

Jordan Walsh will wear #27, Kevin Stacom's old number.   I'm surprised he didn't pick #38, it's available.   Longshots seem to like to wear their draft position number,  to show how far they've come.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:32 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jordan-walsh-scouting-report-celtics-211700157.html

Jordan Walsh scouting report: Celtics rookie is a ‘violent defender'

Chris Forsberg
Tue, June 27, 2023 at 2:17 PM PDT

Violent defender.

That’s the term that Arkansas men’s basketball coach Eric Musselman routinely assigned to Jordan Walsh during his lone season with the Razorbacks. It’s a description that can’t help but promote intrigue in a player making an early leap to the pro level.

The Boston Celtics selected Walsh with the No. 38 pick in Thursday’s 2023 NBA Draft, and all the hype around the 19-year-old wing starts with the way he plays defense.

"I used that term last year quite often," Musselman told NBC Sports Boston. "It’s about violently jumping in passing lanes, violently going after rebounds, and rebounding the ball outside of his area. He can crash into bodies, he's not afraid of contact. And, hence, the phrase, 'Violent defender.'

"When you're gifted with great defensive instincts and then you have toughness and you have will and enjoyment in playing that side of the floor, it certainly helps. He takes great pride in his defense, both individually and then the team defensive concepts."

The selection of Walsh came the same night the Celtics formally traded longtime defensive anchor Marcus Smart to the Memphis Grizzlies to acquire Kristaps Porzingis. While it’s unfair to expect a teenager to replace any part of the defensive identity that Smart brought to the team, the Celtics are hopeful that Walsh’s style of play can help him eventually help him carve out a role on a team with title aspirations.

"Defensively, what Jordan Walsh does is he can guard a guy, individually, and take a premier scorer out of a game," said Musselman. "That’s what he did at the college level, where we could assign him to a top player on the other team and then not have to give any help. So he's a great lockdown defender, individually, and then off the ball.

"He's a great loose-ball getter. He rebounds out of his area, defensively. So it just gives you a lot of different things from a defense perspective. And, most importantly, he allows the coaching staff to have versatility in their defensive game plans because of his ability to jump passing lanes and create some offense through defense."

The Celtics have had Walsh on their radar for a while and Celtics president of basketball operations Brad Stevens saw multiple Arkansas games this past season as part of the scouting process.

Stevens isn’t bashful when detailing the potential for Walsh and his 7-foot-2 wingspan at the NBA level.

"I saw him at the McDonald's All-American practices last year as a senior. Our scouts and people in our front office had been talking about him prior to that," said Stevens. "He was one of the best high school players in the country as a senior. And he looks young when he plays, right? On offense, sometimes, he'll make an unbelievable play and get knocked off his spot or he'll hesitate to shoot a 3. But he's got a great touch. He's going to be able to really shoot the ball.

“On the [defensive] end of the floor, he's got a chance to be special. I don't say that lightly. Like, I don't reserve that for very many. His length and aggressiveness and his willingness to play that end of the floor gives him a chance. And so we'll find out if he can guard at all because our two wings [Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown] will go right through him at the start of practice."

The 6-foot-7 Walsh shot just 27.8 percent beyond the 3-point arc while averaging 7.1 points and 3.9 rebounds over 36 games at Arkansas. He saved some of his finest moments for Arkansas' tournament run that included an upset of Kansas before the Razorbacks fell to eventual champion UConn.

The Celtics introduced Walsh this week, and he immediately leaned into his defensive reputation.

"I heard that Boston likes guys who dive on the floor more than guys who dunk the ball," said Walsh. "So that guy is going to be me."

Bob
MY NOTE:  If he had been drafted by, say, Memphis, he probably wouldn't have made the team because they now have Smart.  But on the Celtics sans Smart?  If his defense is a good as billed, and as good as I saw in his highlight films, I believe he has a real shot this year.  Another thing working in his favor is that Brad is trying to find the cheapest players he can get post-Z trade.  If he signs Walsh to an NBA contract, let's say 3-4 one-year contracts all with team options ala Sam Hauser, it doesn't matter if he's 14th or 15th man.  He fills one of those roster spots, we need players, getting veteran players who aren't washed up to play for the vet minimum is easier said than done and Brad may be forced to find someone to replace Grant as well as Smart and that might consume whatever money is left other than vet minimums and/or G-League players who will play for peanuts just to make a team and get their shot.  Or a 2nd round pick whose current skillset fills an obvious need.  Walsh is an unfinished product, to say the least, but he doesn't need to be finished now.  He needs to come in and play NBA-ready defense and I suspect he's not too far away from that already.

“On the [defensive] end of the floor, he's got a chance to be special. I don't say that lightly. Like, I don't reserve that for very many. His length and aggressiveness and his willingness to play that end of the floor gives him a chance. And so we'll find out if he can guard at all because our two wings [Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown] will go right through him at the start of practice."  I suppose it's not surprising that #38 Walsh will at least be invited to the Celtic camp at the end of September (if you're drafted anywhere you're a lock for camp), doesn't mean he'll make the team (see Madar, Yam and Begarin, Juhann), but it sure sounds like Brad is expecting him to be around a bit because the Js aren't going to be going at him much until then, maybe mid-September when players start trickling in at the earliest and Brad makes it sound like he wants to give Walsh a chance to show the coaches and front office he is the real deal on defense.

11 days to the first SL game, and then we'll see what we've got.  He's already set the expectations bar for him being an aggressive, physical high-energy defender.  He should be able to showcase that, at least.

I hate getting this excited over SL.  I know it's a series of slightly more organized pick up games and the quality isn't NBA level, but they're wearing green, damn it, and I want them to do well.  Considering how much I love defense I think I would start positively glowing if Walsh locked down everybody.  I don't even care if he hits a shot from outside 6'. Just blow their offense up, Jordan, just blow up their offensive rhythm.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:02 pm

We have 12 players on the SL team now.  There may be one more, perhaps two, but this is probably it.

PLAYER................................POS.....YEAR.......LAST TEAM................STATUS

Aleksander Balcerowski..........C........2000........Gran Canaria (ESP).....Free Agent

Kamar Baldwin......................SG......1997........Maine (GL)................Free Agent

Justin Bean..........................SF........1996........Memphis (GL)............Free Agent

Justin Champagnie................SF........2001........Boston......................Signed

JD Davison...........................PG.......2000........Boston......................Signed

Eugene German....................PG.......1997........Qingdao (CHN)...........Free Agent

Sam Griesel.........................SG........2000.......Nebraska...................Free Agent

Reggie Kissoonlal..................C.........1996........Maine (GL)................Free Agent

Mychal Mulder......................PG........1994........Sioux Falls (GL)..........Free Agent

Jay Scrubb..........................SG........2000........Orlando.....................Free Agent

Vincent Valerio-Bodon...........SF.........2001........Sopron (HUN)............Free Agent

Jordan Walsh.......................SF.........2004........Arkansas...................Drafted

Bob
MY NOTE:  No Kabengele.  Interesting.  I don't see where he's playing for any team in SL.  No beast mode for Maine this year, I guess.

Remember Trevion Williams from last year?  That big that was such a good passer?  He's playing for Minny in SL.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:35 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 1 hour ago
The Celtics have added former first round pick Udoka Azubuike to the summer league roster, a team source told @TheAthleticNBA More details on the summer league roster, the team’s next moves as free agency opens, and why Aaron Miles left for the Pelicans:

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:57 am

Updated roster:

2023 Summer League Thread Scree412

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/boston-celtics-summer-league-2023-schedule-roster-results-las-vegas-tournament-01h46k8axsf4#_le3n1fyev

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:27 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:29 pm

First day of SL practice:

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:11 pm

I’m rooting for Jay Scrubb big time. Perfect name for a bench player!

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:30 pm

Oh Bob, poor guy he cannot help what his name is!!!!!! Bean is a tough one too!!!!!! This will be worse than watching early Maine games where you have no idea who is who or what is what.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next