Go down

The Oshae Brissett Thread Empty The Oshae Brissett Thread

Post by gyso Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:51 pm

He's a Celtic, here's his thread.

Report: Celtics sign Oshae Brissett to two-year deal

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-celtics-sign-oshae-brissett-015855835.html

Justin Leger
Fri, Jun 30, 2023, 9:58 PM EDT·1 min read

The Boston Celtics reportedly have made their first free-agent signing of the summer.

According to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski, the C's inked Oshae Brissett to a two-year contract on Friday. Brissett has a player option for the second year of the deal. MassLive.com's Brian Robb adds that it is a veteran minimum contract for the 6-foot-7 forward.

Brissett, 25, averaged 6.1 points and 3.4 rebounds while shooting 38.6 percent from the field (31.1 percent from 3) last season off the Indiana Pacers bench. C's fans may remember him for his stellar performance against Boston in Feb. 2022, when he propelled Indiana to victory with a game-high 27 points.

That wasn't the only time Brissett has done damage against the Celtics. He's 14-for-26 (53.8 percent) on 3-pointers in eight career games against Boston. That's the most 3s he's made against any opponent in his career.

While his numbers from last year don't jump off the page, Brissett has shown flashes of intriguing potential over his last two seasons with the Pacers. At the very least, he will be a solid depth piece for the frontcourt in 2023-24.

Back to top Go down

The Oshae Brissett Thread Empty Re: The Oshae Brissett Thread

Post by gyso Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:54 pm

Pacers forward Oshae Brissett signs free agent deal with Celtics

https://sports.yahoo.com/pacers-forward-oshae-brissett-signs-020616754.html

IndyStar Sports
Fri, Jun 30, 2023, 10:06 PM EDT·1 min read

Pacers president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard said in April he would likely take his time to make final decisions on the Pacers' three free agents. One of them found a new home early in the process.

Forward Oshae Brissett signed a two-year deal with the Boston Celtics with a team option for the second year, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Friday night.

The 6-7, 210-pound Brissett started 43 games for the Pacers in three seasons and found a place in their rotation with the size and athleticism to play both forward spots. However, he saw his playing time decrease after the trade deadline this season when the Pacers added Jordan Nwora in a trade with the Milwaukee Bucks and used him as the backup at power forward for Aaron Nesmith.

Brissett won a job with the Pacers thanks to excellent performances on a series of 10-day contracts starting in April of 2021. He started in 16 of the 21 games he appeared in and averaged 10.9 points per game, scoring 31 in the final game of the regular season. In 2021-22 he averaged 9.1 points and 5.3 rebounds per game, starting 25 of 62 games. This season he averaged 6.1 points and 3.4 rebounds per game.

The Pacers still have two free agents remaining in 37-year-old guard George Hill and 36-year-old James Johnson Jr. After the signing of guard Bruce Brown on Friday they could be out of roster space, but The Athletic's Shams Charania reported that the Pacers were close to trading guard Chris Duarte to the Kings for draft capital.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:58 pm

Here's a couple links:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brissos01.html

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/07/what-oshae-brissett-signing-means-for-celtics-free-agency-trade-options.html

https://www.celticsblog.com/2023/6/30/23780742/boston-celtics-sign-oshae-brissett-two-year-contract-indiana-pacers-syracuse

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:17 am

Could prove to be an inexpensive upgrade over Hauser and/or GWill behind Tatum. Worth a shot to see.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:04 am

His shooting stats have gone from fair to bad to worse. His minutes went down. This one's a mystery to me, but what else is new?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:11 am

Remember the last time Brad said that he had what amounted to a blank check to go out and improve this team? Remember that shopping spree?

This shopping spree he went spend cray cray again and picks up a brisket.

Just in time for the 4th of July. Yay that!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:45 am

Definitely can help us, good depth piece, bigger and much more physical forward than Hauser. Only 25, can still improve his shooting.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:29 am

Anything can happen . Just ask KG.The fact is,his shooting has gotten worse every year he's been in the league. We shall see. I know he's had hia moments, especially against us.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:11 pm

Here is my take.  Keep in mind that it looks at this signing in the context of filling out the roster on the cheap with an eye towards positional needs.

There are some games I remember well and others that fade away from my memory

It was a Sunday and looked up the date (Feb 27th, 2022)  The Celtics were in the middle of an amazing run.  Something like 24-3 wins/losses.  We played at Indy and the Celtics got blown out and they could not stop the pacers from scoring.  Do you guys remember that Sunday afternoon game?  The kid Brissett droped 27 on us while going 6-9 from deep..

Anyways he has been in the league for 4 years.  In year 2 he shot 42.3% from deep and in year 3 he shot 35%.   His playing time went down in year 4 from 23.3 mpg to 16.7    He rebounded the ball well in years 2 and 3.

Athletically the kid is high end.  He can play the 3 plus some small ball 4.

This looks to me as an insurance policy if they do not keep Grant Williams.  In years 2 and 3 he averaged more points and more rebounds than Grant did this year while playing less minutes.

I like this low cost add on and the positional fit that Brad found here.

Last edited by dboss on Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Corrected date)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:37 pm

dboss wrote:Here is my take.  Keep in mind that it looks at this signing in the context of filling out the roster on the cheap with an eye towards positional needs.

There are some games I remember well and others that fade away from my memory

It was a Sunday and looked up the date (Feb 27th, 2002)  The Celtics were in the middle of an amazing run.  Something like 24-3 wins/losses.  We payed at Indy and the Celtics got blown out and they could not stop the pacers from scoring.  Do you guys remember that Sunday afternoon game?  The kid Brissett droped 27 on us while going 6-9 from deep..

Anyways he has been in the league for 4 years.  In year 2 he shot 42.3% from deep and in year 3 he shot 35%.   His playing time went down in year 4 from 23.3 mpg to 16.7    He rebounded the ball well in years 2 and 3.

Athletically the kid is high end.  He can play the 3 plus some small ball 4.

This looks to me as an insurance policy if they do not keep Grant Williams.  In years 2 and 3 he averaged more points and more rebounds than Grant did this year while playing less minutes.

I like this low cost add on and the positional fit that Brad found here.

Dboss, are there a few more examples of Brisket’s stellar play other than the one when he cooked us in 22?
I’m not impressed. It’s an aberration thus far.
Big money Brad with an open check book needs to hit Lenox mall and avoid those outlet malls.
The product is cheaper there for a good reason.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:41 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:01 pm

Ktron 

I checked out his statistics.  I mentioned the 2022 game because when I watched it I recalled thinking who is this kid.  Never heard of him.

The way I see it is that he is a low cost, low risk rotation piece that projects into improving our depths at the 3/4 spots.

As Brad builds out the team he is looking for value.  I think Brissett can provide a lot of bang for the buck.

He did have 2 pretty good shooting and rebounding years b2b before the Pacers went into tank mode.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:04 pm

Spending more money on something does not guarantee better value.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:35 pm

Depends on who you spend it on.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:17 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:24 am

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:20 am

dboss wrote:Ktron 

I checked out his statistics.  I mentioned the 2022 game because when I watched it I recalled thinking who is this kid.  Never heard of him.

The way I see it is that he is a low cost, low risk rotation piece that projects into improving our depths at the 3/4 spots.

As Brad builds out the team he is looking for value.  I think Brissett can provide a lot of bang for the buck.

He did have 2 pretty good shooting and rebounding years b2b before the Pacers went into tank mode.

Agreed I like his game and toughness, can play 3 or 4, more height than Grant, great value. I like having him and the rook Walsh as wings to give either J a breather or play with them. Walsh looks ahead of schedule, may have found a very good role player/defensive player and Brissett has toughness and upside too within his role. Were not asking him to score 20 points ppg.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:41 pm

https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nba/boston-celtics/oshae-brissett-will-thrive-in-boston-says-ex-celtic-aaron-nesmith/541906/

Recent Celtics player: Oshae Brissett will win over Boston fans

Oshae Brissett has the chance to fill an important role in Boston.

By Chris Forsberg, Celtics Insider • Published July 8, 2023 • Updated on July 8, 2023 at 10:03 pm

LAS VEGAS -- If ever there was a recent authority on how a young player can endear themselves to Boston fans with a maximum-effort style of play, it might be Aaron Nesmith.

While Nesmith never quite tapped into his full offensive potential after being drafted 14th overall by the Celtics in 2020, his relentless desire to make energy plays became his calling card -- and earned Nesmith the playful monicker "Crash" for sacrificing his body in those moments.

So we asked Nesmith, in town this weekend to watch the Pacers' summer league entry, to give us the scouting report on former Indiana teammate Oshae Brisett after the Celtics signed the 6-foot-7 forward at the start of free agency.

"Celtics fans are going to love Oshae," said Nesmith. "He plays with a lot of energy, a lot of effort, and a lot of hustle. He’s going to do well there."

The Celtics dealt Nesmith to the Pacers last summer in the swap that delivered Sixth Man of the Year Malcolm Brogdon. Nesmith slotted as a Pacers starter last season with Brissett’s role diminished.

Even in joining a more talented team, Brissett will attempt to help the Celtics fill bench minutes at the wing position after the team overhauled its personnel this summer. The departures of Marcus Smart and Grant Williams could open up playing time for a wing, and while most of those minutes should fall to Sam Hauser, there will be a chance for Brissett and rookie Jordan Walsh to provide extra depth.

Brissett was courtside for Walsh’s very encouraging summer debut on Saturday at Cox Pavilion, and mingled with teammates Jayson Tatum and Payton Pritchard in the process.

Brissett’s offensive numbers won’t inspire confidence, especially after shooting just 31 percent beyond the 3-point arc last season and struggling to finish at the rim. He will get better looks in Boston but knows his role starts with energy and feels he can distinguish himself with his rebounding and hustle.

"Energy, excitement," the 25-year-old Brissett answered when asked what he can bring to Boston. "I feel like, last year, watching [the Celtics] they always had that. Obviously, playing at the Garden is different but they had that with the players. I feel like I can bring that in a different way, coming in off the bench, starting, whatever it is, whatever the team needs me to do, bring that energy and heart to the team."

Brissett noted how Tatum, Al Horford, and Derrick White were among the first players to reach out to him after news of his signing with Boston emerged. He also detailed how he and Brogdon became fast friends when Brissett first joined the Pacers on a pair of 10-day deals in 2021. But he’s going to need to find more consistency to crack Boston’s rotation.

"I feel like right now is a time for me to get to that next level, be in the playoffs and do everything I can to win those games," said Brissett. "This team is trending in the right direction and I feel like now we have a lot of great pieces to really get over that hump. I’m excited to get to training camp and start and just build."

Most importantly, Brissett knows his role alongside a talent-gushing roster.

“Well, they got the rock, they can do what they want,” said Brissett. "I’m gonna go crash and rebound. And I feel like I got the easy job. That's what they do and I'm excited to play with them, excited to watch, excited to be a part of the team and be out there and show what I can do.”

Brissett said getting calls from president of basketball operations Brad Stevens and coach Joe Mazzulla made him feel appreciated while navigating the free-agent process. A big night that included six 3-pointers against Boston back in February 2022 certainly left an impression with Celtics brass.

"I was just hot, man. It's one of those days,” said Brissett. "Hoping to have a couple of those this year."

Bob
MY NOTE:  Energy goes a long way towards success.  A lot of defense is energy and ganas (moving your feet doesn't hurt either).  When you're working hard not only do you make things happen but it's contagious.  We've all seen what happened after Smart took a charge or Blake dove to the floor.  Everybody played harder, gave a little more.  His numbers aren't going to wow us, but his effort might and that might be all we need from a 9th (10th?  11th?  Depending upon our starting unit) man.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:44 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:35 pm

Him along with the other two long athletic guys are economical additions.

How CJ uses them and how they fit into the roles that are required will determine a lot.

If someone asked me what will the team look like as compared to last year I would venture to say that they will be quicker and have a more complete offensive package because of Porzingis. They will not have to rely solely on their 3 point shooting. i expect to see more transition buckets. I would also say that they will not be as physical without Smart and Grant and I think they may play more zone defenses.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:18 am

Brissett, Banton and Walsh give us more size all over the floor at 2-4. Just play hard and fast and everything should take care of itself. Hauser didn’t give us enough intangibles or impact vs the playoff teams. I like having other long options and ofcourse really looking forward to our double big line ups this year.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down