NBA announces a Play In Tournament for next year

+4
dbrown4
bobc33
gyso
RosalieTCeltics
8 posters

Go down

NBA announces a Play In Tournament for next year Empty NBA announces a Play In Tournament for next year

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:40 am

https://www.nba.com/news/2023-in-season-tournament-group-play
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

NBA announces a Play In Tournament for next year Empty Re: NBA announces a Play In Tournament for next year

Post by gyso Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:04 pm

2023 In-Season Tournament: Results of group drawing

The inaugural tournament will tip off Nov. 3 and culminate with the championship on Dec. 9.

Official release
July 8, 2023 7:42 PM

In-Season Tournament Group Play

All 30 teams have been randomly drawn into groups of five within their conference based on won-loss records from the 2022-23 regular season for the 2023 NBA In-Season Tournament. Each team will play four designated Group Play games – one game against each opponent in its group, with two games at home and two on the road.

The results of the drawing and the groups for the In-Season Tournament are as follows:

Western Conference

West Group A

• Memphis Grizzlies
• Phoenix Suns
• L.A. Lakers
• Utah Jazz
• Portland Trail Blazers

West Group B

• Denver Nuggets
• LA Clippers
• New Orleans Pelicans
• Dallas Mavericks
• Houston Rockets

West Group C

• Sacramento Kings
• Golden State Warriors
• Minnesota Timberwolves
• Oklahoma City Thunder
• San Antonio Spurs

Eastern Conference

East Group A

• Philadelphia 76ers
• Cleveland Cavaliers
• Atlanta Hawks
• Indiana Pacers
• Detroit Pistons

East Group B

• Milwaukee Bucks
• New York Knicks
• Miami Heat
• Washington Wizards
• Charlotte Hornets

East Group C

• Boston Celtics
• Brooklyn Nets
• Toronto Raptors
• Chicago Bulls
• Orlando Magic

Group Play games will be played on “Tournament Nights,” which will take place every Tuesday and Friday from Nov. 3-28 (with the exception of Election Day on Nov. 7). The only NBA games played on Tournament Nights will be Group Play games.

Before the Group Play draw, each team was placed into a “pot” based on its record from the prior regular season (2022-23). In each conference, one team from each pot was randomly selected into each of the three groups in that conference. Pot 1 had the teams with the three best prior-season records in a conference, Pot 2 had the teams with the fourth- through sixth-best prior-season records in a conference, and so on through Pot 5.

Eight teams will advance to the Knockout Rounds: the team with the best standing in Group Play games in each of the six groups and one “wild card” team from each conference. The wild card will be the team from each conference with the best record in Group Play games that finished second in its group.

Back to top Go down

NBA announces a Play In Tournament for next year Empty Re: NBA announces a Play In Tournament for next year

Post by bobc33 Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:35 pm

I’m not particularly enthused about this tournament. But I will be tuning in, and if it is a hit I’m sure the league will continue with it and if it bombs they just do away with it as a one hit wonder.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:11 pm

So now, all Tuesday and Friday games in November have "extra meaning" and still count as regular season games. The rest of the regular season schedule will be built around these games.

I'll still only watch the Celtics games, so I must not be the target audience.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:41 pm

This is so ridiculous. If this is their way of boosting audience i do not think it will work. Like You Gyso, for the most part, I only watch the Celtics. Might turn on a quarter here or there of another team when bored, but not really watching all the other teams. I belong to a Fan Forum from the NBA, have belonged for a few seasons. I gave my opinion of this when they sent a survey. Really does not interest me.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:42 pm

By the way, thanks for posting all that info.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:47 am

bob33,

I inadvertently put my view of this into what you wrote,

"and if it is a hit I’m sure the league will continue with it and if it bombs they just do away with it as a one hit wonder." as...

and if it is a hit I’m sure the league will continue with it and if it bombs they just continue with it as they don't give a rat's ass whether the fans like it or not!"

Well, I guess you know where I stand...with Rosalie. It ain't broke. But our opinions matter little if any at this point. I'm not going to stand in front of the train.

Yes, thank you for posting all this. It proves someone from the federal government is involved in justifying their existence by coming up the the most confusing, cockamamie way to insert something into the season so much so it makes your head spin trying to figure it out!!

Won't this still mess up the 82-games/season count total for some?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:22 am

Hi,
All games in this tournament except, I think, semi- and finals, count towards regular season games.

My question that I couldn't find an answer to: what is significance of the winning this tournament? Right now most of the teams are geared to get into the playoffs, as a stepping stone to win the championship, and, of course, to win the championship.
Also, if this tournament and winning it become popular won't it diminish "value", significance of winning in the playoffs?

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:47 am

dbrown,

The Tuesday/Friday games in November will count as part of the regular season 82 games.  There are six nights in November that will now be “Tournament Nights”.  Those games get placed into the schedule first (4 per team, 1 each against the other 4 teams in your group), then the rest of the NBA schedule (78 per team) is created around those games.  

I believe that extra games come into play for the 8 team single elimination tournament (3 Knockout Rounds) in early December.  Rounds of 8, then 4, then 2 (finals) could add up to three extra non-regular season games to the two teams in the finals.

That means that this season, we will need to play at least 101 games to reach the goal of winning both championships in the same season, in the inaugural season.

Epicness is on its way!!  History making excitement!!  

Can't you feel it?  (LOL)

I find it odd that they picked November.  That is too early, IMO.  January is better.  Closer to mid-season, no competition with the holiday season, completed before all-star break, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:56 am

Hard to imagine it’s that much of a boost to viewership.

A chance for players and those with 2-way contracts to make a little extra cash, I guess.

Something new for the league to try. On the plus side, at least they’re looking to find ways to stay current and relevant.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:16 am

The whole Idea is silly to me and I’m sure the league has an agenda that does not include my likes and dislikes.

I’m pretty sure that they conducted a study on this and hopefully (thats the word that shakes my confidence a bit) were precise when parameters were applied and released to the public.

As silly as it appears, I’m fairly confident that it will boost viewership.

Watch those numbers rise. They will.

That doesn’t always mean it’s a good thing for the game.

More so for certain individuals or groups and not so much the players as a whole that will be the beneficiaries of this…(Insert here)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:30 pm

It seems to me that the NBA schedule for the 23-24 season will need to be establish in 2 parts. The nba will not know until after the tournament which teams need to play more or less games to play a total of 82 games.

All the games except for the championship game will count toward the 82 game regular season.

This looks like a scheduling mess because of too many uncertainties.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down