Celtics Champion Tony Allen sentenced in NBA insurance fraud case

3 posters

Go down

Celtics Champion Tony Allen sentenced in NBA insurance fraud case Empty Celtics Champion Tony Allen sentenced in NBA insurance fraud case

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:37 pm

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-champ-tony-allen-sentenced-191359403.html

Celtics champ Tony Allen sentenced in NBA insurance fraud case

Justin Quinn

Tue, August 8, 2023 at 12:13 PM PDT·2 min read

Former Boston Celtics shooting guard Tony Allen, part of the Celtics’ 2008 title team, has been sentenced in connection with the NBA’s $5 million benefits scam, per new reporting from Law 360 reporter Pete Brush. Allen was charged with illegally taking close to $420,000 from the scam but paid back most of the money before being sentenced. Instead of prison time, Allen received a sentence of community service and supervision.

During his court appearance, Allen gave a tearful apology, acknowledging his responsibility and expressing regret for not upholding the NBA’s core values. “I fully acknowledge my individual responsibility and I understand the gravity of my actions,” Allen reportedly told the court.

The judge presiding over the case expressed concern about overbilling but noted that Allen had repaid the money he took.

The judge also mentioned that Allen seemed to be floundering in his post-playing career life, saying “You seem not quite to have found your footing after your basketball career has ended.”You may need to think about having a new goal – something you can work towards every day.”

Allen is one of several former Celtics players involved in the scam who have managed to avoid prison time thus far with Glen “Big Baby” Davis and Sebastian Telfair.

However, three other ex-players who played a role in recruiting others for the scam have received jail sentences. The leader of the scheme, Terrence Williams, received a 10-year sentence, while Keyon Dooling and Alan Anderson, who were more actively involved, received shorter sentences, with Williams and Dooling both Boston alumni as well.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics Champion Tony Allen sentenced in NBA insurance fraud case Empty Re: Celtics Champion Tony Allen sentenced in NBA insurance fraud case

Post by worcester Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:45 pm

Barely alumni
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Celtics Champion Tony Allen sentenced in NBA insurance fraud case Empty Re: Celtics Champion Tony Allen sentenced in NBA insurance fraud case

Post by gyso Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:21 pm

worcester wrote:Barely alumni

Apparently, any connection to a team is relevant during a report of bad behavior. I imagine this article reads differently, depending on geography, with a somewhat different cast of characters for each local team being included.

They know why and what we click on. Basketball

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:23 pm

You nailed it gyso.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down