Celtics still hoping to host NBA All-Star Game in near future

2 posters

Go down

Celtics still hoping to host NBA All-Star Game in near future Empty Celtics still hoping to host NBA All-Star Game in near future

Post by NYCelt Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:27 pm

NBC Sports Boston

Celtics still hoping to host NBA All-Star Game in near future

Nick Goss
Thu, Aug 10, 2023, 4:55 PM EDT·1 min read

Do the Celtics have enough to win a title?

Celtics still hoping to host NBA All-Star Game in near future originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

The Boston Celtics have not hosted an NBA All-Star Game in almost 60 years.

The franchise is hoping to end that drought in the near future.

The Boston Globe's Adam Himmelsbach wrote Thursday that "Boston remains on track to potentially host the city’s first NBA All-Star Game since 1964. The Celtics have submitted an application targeting the 2026 game."

Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck recently told Himmselsbach, “We’re on it. It’s taking up planning time. The wheels are in motion. We’re definitely going for it.”

Next season's All-Star Game will be hosted by the Indiana Pacers. After that, the All-Star Game hosts have not yet been determined.

The last time the City of Boston hosted an All-Star Game was in 1999 when Fenway Park welcomed MLB's best. The NHL All-Star Game came to TD Garden (called FleetCenter at the time) in 1996.

It's hard to believe, given the Celtics' extraordinary success since 1964 and Boston's intense sports fandom that the city hasn't hosted an NBA All-Star Game since Bill Russell, Tommy Heinsohn and Sam Jones were running up and down the famous parquet floor.

The next few years would be a great window for the Celtics to potentially host an All-Star Game because they have two All-NBA players on their roster in Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. If healthy, Kristaps Porzingis is an All-Star caliber player as well.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Celtics still hoping to host NBA All-Star Game in near future Empty Re: Celtics still hoping to host NBA All-Star Game in near future

Post by Ktron Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:47 pm

I went to the only ASG in Boston Garden back in 64. Me and my classmate from James P. Timilty Jr.high school, the late Robert ‘Charlie’ Smith and I shoveled snow and split a paper route to save the money to buy 2 tickets. We were unable to sit together because tickets were hard to come by but we were elated to be one of the 13,909. (Actually 13,464 but who’s counting)

Red Was happy too because he got to coach one of his favorite players, The Big O. Red would raise his arm with the rolled up program he always held in his right hand, look to the rafters and smile every time Game MVP Oscar pulled an Oscar.

Unforgettable experience.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Celtics still hoping to host NBA All-Star Game in near future Empty Re: Celtics still hoping to host NBA All-Star Game in near future

Post by NYCelt Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:47 am

Ktron wrote:I went to the only ASG in Boston Garden back in 64. Me and my classmate from James P. Timilty Jr.high school, the late Robert ‘Charlie’ Smith and I shoveled snow and split a paper route to save the money to buy 2 tickets. We were unable to sit together because tickets were hard to come by but we were elated to be one of the 13,909. (Actually 13,464 but who’s counting)

Red Was happy too because he got to coach one of his favorite players, The Big O. Red would raise his arm with the rolled up program he always held in his right hand, look to the rafters and smile every time Game MVP Oscar pulled an Oscar.

Unforgettable experience.

What a great piece of NBA and Celtic history to have been able to see in person.

Plus a great example of hard work paying off for enterprising youngsters.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:44 pm

The game almost didn’t happen. Players threatened to walk out if the league didn’t recognize their union.

One of the points that the players union was campaigning for was “No more Sunday afternoon games if you played on Saturday night”!

Talking bout back-to-backs! How bout that?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down