Boston Celtics All-Stars left out of Bleacher Reports Best NBA Duos

+2
Ktron
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics All-Stars left out of Bleacher Reports Best NBA Duos Empty Boston Celtics All-Stars left out of Bleacher Reports Best NBA Duos

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:47 pm

https://ftsportsnews.com/boston-celtics-all-stars-left-out-of-bleacher-reports-best-nba-duos/

Boston Celtics All-Stars left out of Bleacher Reports Best NBA Duos

August 12, 2023 FTSPORTS

Earlier this week, Bleacher Report’s Greg Swartz released rankings of the NBA’s Best Superstar Duos. Immediately, most NBA fans would think about the Nuggets duo of Jokic and Murray as they are coming off a Championship run. Swartz however, has Jokic and Murray listed as his third best duo, following the likes of Phoenix’s Booker and Durant and Milwaukee’s Antetokounmpo and Holiday. To round out the rest of the list, Lakers duo of James Davis and lastly, the Dallas duo of Irving and Doncic. While all these pairs are deserving of being on this list, it is completely irrational to not include the Boston Celtics pair of Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown as one of, if not the best NBA duo for a variety of different reasons.

There is a saying in sports that goes along the lines of “the best ability is availability.” While some may argue they would rather have a superstar play half the season and be ready for the playoffs, Tatum and Brown are unique in their ability to stay on the floor throughout the entirety of the season.

In the 2022-23 season, Tatum played in 74 regular season games and all 20 of the C’s playoff games. Jaylen Brown played in 67 regular season games and all 20 of the Boston Celtics games in the playoffs as well. They combine for the most games played compared to any other duo on the list.

With many of the other duos aging, it is hard for me to understand how someone would rather any other duo than the Boston Celtics’ beloved “Jays.”

To think about the fact they are entering their prime NBA years leaves more room for growth and optimism.

On the other side of things, one could say the opposite for many others on this list. Jrue Holiday is 33 years old, Lebron James is 38 years old, Anthony Davis has an injury history and is coming up on his 31st birthday. Kevin Durant is turning 35 before the start of next season, and Irving is getting up there at 31 years old as well. While I am not denying the talent of these guys, it is hard for me to choose them over the young, available, all-NBA duo on the Boston Celtics on a list that is evaluating the best partnerships.

Although being available is a pivotal part of being successful, it does not necessarily guarantee winning it itself. With availability comes responsibility and players are still required to perform if they want to see their teams do well in the NBA. For Tatum and Brown, they led the Celtics to the second-best record in the NBA this past season. They ended one game behind the Bucks for first place in the entire NBA.

Comparatively, the Dallas Mavericks were in a playoff spot when Kyrie Irving got traded to them in February. After playing 16 games alongside Doncic, the Mavericks went 5-11 during that span and ended up missing the playoffs. How this duo who lost more than twice the amount of games they won, could be included on the list of “best duos” is shocking to me.

Not only do Tatum and Brown perform in the regular season, but they have consistently made deep playoff runs. Since Tatum joined the league, the Boston Celtics have gone to four Eastern Conference finals, more than any other duo on the list. Although they do not yet have a ring to prove it, there is no denying Tatum and Brown’s ability to put their teams in positions to win.

Not to mention, Tatum and Brown are only 25 and 26 years old, respectively. They are the youngest duo on the list and they have shown they are capable of competing with the best, as shown by their head-to-head records.

In the two games Tatum and Brown played against Antetokounmpo and Holiday this year, they combined for 70 points both times in two blowout wins. The Celtics won by 41 and 21 points in these games.

In two games against Davis and James this season, the Celtics duo averaged 68 points per game and 22 rebounds per game. In both those games, the Celtics as a team came out on top, defeating the Lakers by 4 points both times. While Davis and James both played well in these games, it is hard to undermine the Celtics stars when it comes to playing against the NBA’s most talented.

In the single game the Celtics duo played against Jokic and Murray this season, they combined for 59 points and 16 rebounds as the Celtics overcame the Nuggets by a score of 131 to 112. While the Nuggets duo ended up winning a championship this year, it is also worth noting that the Celtics duo were second closest when compared to the rest of the list.

When talking about Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, one may not immediately compare them to the all-time great NBA duos. After all, they have only been in the league for so long and do not have a ring to show for it (yet).

However, there are some stats that show we might be closer to discussing the two as an all-time great partnership than many people might think. For starters, Tatum and Brown averaged a combined 56.7 points per game this season. Certainly, an impressive feat considering how many games both of them played. This was the second-highest average of the duos mentioned, sitting behind Doncic and Irving.

Additionally, according to an article by ClutchPoints the Boston Celtics stars were the “first pair of teammates to have a season with twelve 30-point games as a duo since Shaq and Kobe (2002-03).” Considering the insane duos the NBA has experienced during that time, seems to me that Tatum and Brown deserve more praise as a historic duo.

Not only that, but the Celtics partnership also has the best winning percentage in games where they both scored 30-plus points.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Offseason bulletin board material for the Js.

Swartz's Top 5 Duos are:

5.  Luka and Kyrie
4.  LeBron and AD
3.  Joker and Jamal
2.  Giannis and Jrue
1.  KD and Booker

MY opinion?  Luka and Kyrie are the worst defensive duo of all of them and you go nowhere without defense, even in this offense-oriented NBA.  AD has played a total of 132 games in the last 3 years, that's 44/year.  I don't care how good a player you are if you cannot/do not play (see Williams, Robert) and who knows what LeBron has left at age 39 (he turns 39 on December 30th).  Joker and Jamal, ok.  They won a Championship, so they have bragging rights.  Joker and almost anybody is going to make this list, that's how impactful Joker is.  Nobody is better in the league at elevating his teammates better than him.  Jrue is 33, as pointed out.  That's getting up there for a point guard.  KD and Booker?  Yeah, ok.  Didn't get them far last year but this they might carry Phoenix far.

Personally, I would definitely put the Js not lower than 3rd.  As I said Joker and Jamal are Champs and KD and Booker are impressive as well.  The other 3?  We beat them last year and this year they're longer in the tooth while the Js will still only be 27 and 25 as of the start of the season.  ENTERING their prime (one could argue 25 1/2 year old Jayson Tatum is still a year or two away from his).

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics All-Stars left out of Bleacher Reports Best NBA Duos Empty Re: Boston Celtics All-Stars left out of Bleacher Reports Best NBA Duos

Post by Ktron Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:53 pm

They must be really bored (and out of touch) at Bleacher Report.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics All-Stars left out of Bleacher Reports Best NBA Duos Empty Re: Boston Celtics All-Stars left out of Bleacher Reports Best NBA Duos

Post by NYCelt Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:59 pm

I think if we had returned to the finals last season Tatum and Brown would be more front of mind and on this list.

That’s the thing with opinions; as a friend of mine likes to point out, opinions are like a**holes, everybody’s got one.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:28 pm

Same thoughts I had Bob. Luka and Kyrie SUCKED on D whereas the 2 J's were ferocious.

No, NYCelt. Although bleacher report seems to be overloaded with them, not everyone has one. I had a patient three years ago, a 60 year old man, who was born without one! He was given a colostomy as a very young infant and had to deal with many subsequent surgeries thereafter to upgrade the colostomy alternative. He is a remarkably good human being, and his birth defect makes me appreciate how very lucky I am to have been born with all parts intact.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:29 am

Well, I'm not going to steal Rosalie's thunder, but once again, articles like this support her/our Media-Hopeful Celtic-Demise/Destruction/Implosion theories. That's all I'm sayin'!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:12 am

Bless my soul!

Swartz need to plugin his quartz.  He's running on backup reserve.

Those 5 pairings include 4 out of 10 players that made an all NBA team. So 6 of them were not rated top 15. The Jays  did not make the cut for one reason or another.

It seems rather absurd to leave the Jays off the top 5 list given that their pairing produced all NBA status.  I also recall that they were one of the top pairs in scoring in the NBA.  They did not take PTO.  They were available.

Although the Celtics did not make it back to the finals once again they were in the ECF.  Being in the final 4 year after year should matter.  

I see them as #1 or #2 as the best paring in the NBA.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:13 pm

dboss,

The 2 J's and Krispy "Kreme" Porkchop need to punch it on through this year.  Time is passing everyone by, especially the 2 J's.  There's no banner for EC champ or Finals runner-up.  They need to figure it out this year by carrying the team with them.

I saw the Subway ad with Steph Curry and JT, the "future champion".  I hope that ad doesn't become a ghost that haunts him after he leaves his NBA career, just like those Unfin18hed Business shirts this past season, although that one can be reused this season without too much embarrassment!

As always, we'll see.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:37 pm

worcester wrote:Same thoughts I had Bob. Luka and Kyrie SUCKED on D whereas the 2 J's were ferocious.

No, NYCelt. Although bleacher report seems to be overloaded with them, not everyone has one. I had a patient three years ago, a 60 year old man, who was born without one! He was given a colostomy as a very young infant and had to deal with many subsequent surgeries thereafter to upgrade the colostomy alternative. He is a remarkably good human being, and his birth defect makes me appreciate how very lucky I am to have been born with all parts intact.

Let me think of a different expression...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:41 pm

NYCelt wrote:
worcester wrote:Same thoughts I had Bob. Luka and Kyrie SUCKED on D whereas the 2 J's were ferocious.

Let me think of a different expression...

NYCelt,

Leave it to a scientist to suck all the joy out of language, huh?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:47 pm

There is no magic formula for winning the title.

Everything needs to be aligned and the one factor that always makes a difference is injuries. We will be hitting the 16 year mark when the playoffs start in 2024, since the Celtics won the title in 08. That was a great team but they only won in that one year because of injuries in the subsequent years.

Anyways, this thread is about the BR ranking that leaves the Jays off the top 5 pairing in the NBA which I think is just plan wrong.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:14 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Well, I'm not going to steal Rosalie's thunder, but once again, articles like this support her/our Media-Hopeful Celtic-Demise/Destruction/Implosion theories.  That's all I'm sayin'!!

db

People everywhere say that about their teams and the media too.

Cue the Temptations: “Just My Imagination”

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:30 pm

dboss,

Article written by Jealous Everybody Gets A Trophy Celtic Haters!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down