Tatum gets candid about leadership style, ‘connection' with Boston

+4
cowens/oldschool
dbrown4
dboss
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Tatum gets candid about leadership style, ‘connection' with Boston Empty Tatum gets candid about leadership style, ‘connection' with Boston

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:41 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/tatum-gets-candid-leadership-style-180047310.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=0_00

Tatum gets candid about leadership style, ‘connection' with Boston

Darren Hartwell

Thu, Sep 7, 2023, 11:49 AM PDT·2 min read

Jayson Tatum has made tremendous strides over six NBA seasons, and we're not just talking about his play between the whistles.

While the Boston Celtics forward has blossomed into a perennial All-Star and All-NBA First-Teamer, he's also gotten more comfortable in his own skin, assuming more of a leadership role as veterans have departed and he and Jaylen Brown have emerged as the faces of the franchise.

Tatum's leadership role may increase even more this season after Boston traded its longest-tenured (and most vocal) player, Marcus Smart, to the Memphis Grizzlies. The 25-year-old seems up for the task -- but also plans on staying true to himself.

"I'm never going to be Kevin Garnett,” Tatum told Jeff Goodman of The Messenger. "As much as people want me to be, that’s not who I am. The way I lead, the public may not ever see what I do."

"When I need to, I make sure my voice is heard and I do it in my own way. I’m not going to be out there jumping up and down screaming. That’s just not my personality.

"As much as people want to talk about it and want me to be that, I’m not changing who I am. I lead in my own way. When I talk, everybody in that organization is going to listen. And whatever I say is always for the betterment of the team — and my teammates know that."

Tatum described his leadership style as "reserved, quiet and laid back," which runs counter to the fierce intensity Garnett brought to the Celtics in 2007. But it sounds like Tatum is getting results by picking his spots and making it count when he delivers messages to teammates.

Just as Tatum is growing into his leadership role, he also seems to be fully acclimating to Boston, telling Goodman he "just recently" started to feel a "connection" to his home since 2017.

"I have spent my adult life here, my son has grown up here, I’ve grown up here," Tatum told Goodman. "... I just feel like I relate more, a lot more in these last two years.

At first it was like I live here, but I’m from St. Louis. I’m a St. Louis kid. Now I’m a part of Boston. I really feel a connection with the city and the people of Boston."

Tatum's candid comments to Goodman -- he also stressed a desire to be on the "Mount Rushmore" of Celtics greats -- reflect a maturity that wasn't always there when he first entered the league. Tatum has developed into a well-rounded superstar, however, and can establish himself as a local legend by guiding the Celtics to Banner 18.

Bob
MY NOTE:  We had a 'Kevin Garnett type of leader', but he got traded to Memphis.  Every Championship team needs one.  Shaq was him when he was with the Lakers, then Kobe took that spot.  Draymond Green is him in GSW.  They don't have to be the best player on the team, Draymond certainly isn't, but they have to be fierce.  Without Smart and Grant who do you see having that personality, Brad?  A lot of times people in charge, who have been successful in their careers, look for Mini-Mes.  They want someone who is like they were.  I think Joe is a Brad Mini-Me.  Same calm exterior demeanor regardless of what's going on inside.  We need a KG-like personality, a raging bubbling megaphone of maniacal intensity and commitment, to replace the two we just lost.  

<Cue the Mission Impossible music>   "Your mission, Mr. Stevens, if you decide to accept it, is to find that personality and bring it back to Boston."

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Tatum gets candid about leadership style, ‘connection' with Boston Empty Re: Tatum gets candid about leadership style, ‘connection' with Boston

Post by dboss Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:56 pm

With Smart gone, the logical step-up into a leadership role will be Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.

KG will not be walking through the door.  No one that resembles him will be coming.

Leadership passes on and it will come from the current roster.

Your 2 best players are the ones who must lead this team.  And we still have Al Horford.   Veteran leadership comes with experience so we have to lean on all of our veteran guys.  At the same time, the Jays are expected to drive this team to victory.  Their leadership style is still in the developmental stage but the way they ARE is probably not going to change.   They just need to lead by example to seek to be better overall players and teammates going into the 23-24 season.

Smart was the defacto Team Captain for years.

Last edited by dboss on Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Tatum gets candid about leadership style, ‘connection' with Boston Empty Re: Tatum gets candid about leadership style, ‘connection' with Boston

Post by dbrown4 Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:28 am

No he won't, dboss, no he won't.  Many great leaders effectively walk softly and in some instances carry a big stick.  Theodore Roosevelt quoted that and backed it up.  MLK did it extremely effectively without the stick.  Russell's in there as well on the court as well as off.  

Jayson sounds like he's an excellent mixture of all the above.

KG was excellent at that time, was the perfect fit and what that team needed.  But just because you don't outwardly act a bit off doesn't mean the fire burning inside is any less.  I'm pushing all-in on both J's figuring this thing out this year and putting the league on notice.  Their days of half-assing it through the playoffs, at least as far as Boston fans are concerned, "are OVER.  You are married to this piece of iron and wood...And you will be faithful!!  Do you maggots understand me?!!" (anyone care to add in/finish?!)    

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:22 am

dbrown4 wrote:No he won't, dboss, no he won't.  Many great leaders effectively walk softly and in some instances carry a big stick.  Theodore Roosevelt quoted that and backed it up.  MLK did it extremely effectively without the stick.  Russell's in there as well on the court as well as off.  

Jayson sounds like he's an excellent mixture of all the above.

KG was excellent at that time, was the perfect fit and what that team needed.  But just because you don't outwardly act a bit off doesn't mean the fire burning inside is any less.  I'm pushing all-in on both J's figuring this thing out this year and putting the league on notice.  Their days of half-assing it through the playoffs, at least as far as Boston fans are concerned, "are OVER.  You are married to this piece of iron and wood...And you will be faithful!!  Do you maggots understand me?!!" (anyone care to add in/finish?!)    

db

db

You captured my thoughts with respect to leadership.  There are many leadership styles.  One size does not fit all.

While JB has already earned his big pay day and JT is right behind him, we need to see those investment take us to another level as a team.  

A big part of them becoming leaders begins and ends at the granule level.  It is all about the decision making possession after possession and most importantly when the team needs them to execute during critical portions of a game.

Much has been said about JB's 7th game turnover meltdown however all in all the Jays both produced 2.9 turnovers per game during the playoffs which is not really bad given their usage rates.    What I would like to see them do better is:

Buckle down on defense
Stop settling for 3 point shots especially when your shooting is off the mark
Move the ball to your teammates more (more passing and less dribbling)
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:47 am

dboss,

That's a winning formula.  I've said in other threads, while JT has made leaps and bounds year over year, the swings have been pretty wide as well.  He just needs to pull in his standard deviations this year and he'll be fine.  

Yeah, it's easy (guilty as charged) to pick on JB for the meltdown, but his response right out of the gate for this season will tell us if it was a valuable learning experience for him as well as how great a motivator the egg laid will be.  Lot's of $ riding on him as well.  

Chuck-3's 'til the cows come home needs to die a merciless death right out of the gate.  Some teams are good at it.  We, unfortunately, are not.  Wide Open 3's because the defense has given up and can't find their asses with both hands since they've been outsmarted is a completely different story.  That's the dagger.   You get there with better, more unpredictable offensive balance. This will suffice and will baffle the opposing teams easily.  You can't guard what you don't know is coming.  Tons of weapons now inside and out.  Let's not waste a one of them.

No KG, no Gunnery Sargent Hartman.  But that's ok!  We're going to be just fine.  Should be a very compelling season all around the league this upcoming season!  Lots of moving parts.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:59 pm

John Havlicek was a great leader and he didn’t do it like KG, I don’t think anyone did it as intensely as KG ever. The J’s know it’s their team and it’s their time now to carry the team and lead, for some reason I’m thinking Sam Cassell, who played with KG can help teach these guys how to lead in their own way. A lot of times when you lead, you have to carry a team on your back; that’s what Hondo, Bird and Pierce did.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:29 pm

I hear what all of you are saying how there are a variety of leadership styles, and you're right, but there are times when someone has to be the bad cop.  Someone occasionally has to crack the whip, someone occasionally to remind people that this is a fully functioning Death Star and they should start playing like it.  Smart and Grant were those guys last year.  Who is the fire-breather on this team?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:43 pm

It may be that both of the Jays are inwardly happy that Smart is gone. Over time, hearing the same voice, saying the same thing, for years and years, gets old. Like when a coach loses the locker room, it can happen with a vet player who is often overly emotional in his interactions with others on the floor.

"Besties for Life!" and all, they may be ready for something else.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:13 pm

gyso wrote:It may be that both of the Jays are inwardly happy that Smart is gone.  Over time, hearing the same voice, saying the same thing, for years and years, gets old.  Like when a coach loses the locker room, it can happen with a vet player who is often overly emotional in his interactions with others on the floor.

gyso

I thought about that as well.

Tatum is more laid back but JB is not. Despite their mutual respect for one another JB and Smart had their share of confrontations.

It is interesting that the 2 most disruptive and argumentative players on last year's team are both gone.

The Celtics remain a team with quality veterans that always carry themselves with a high level of professionalism.

The so-called leadership void will be filled.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:18 pm

dboss wrote:
gyso wrote:It may be that both of the Jays are inwardly happy that Smart is gone.  Over time, hearing the same voice, saying the same thing, for years and years, gets old.  Like when a coach loses the locker room, it can happen with a vet player who is often overly emotional in his interactions with others on the floor.

gyso

Tatum is more laid back but JB is not.  Despite their mutual respect for one another JB and Smart had their share of confrontations.

It is interesting that the 2 most disruptive and argumentative players on last year's team are both gone.

The Celtics remain a team with quality veterans that always carry themselves with a high level of professionalism.  

Disruptive?

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:I hear what all of you are saying how there are a variety of leadership styles, and you're right, but there are times when someone has to be the bad cop.  Someone occasionally has to crack the whip, someone occasionally to remind people that this is a fully functioning Death Star and they should start playing like it.  Smart and Grant were those guys last year.  Who is the fire-breather on this team?

Bob

Grant was never a leader, he contributed on the floor, no question; but he also couldn’t and wouldn’t shut up and got on refs and teammates nerves all the time.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:40 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:

gyso

Tatum is more laid back but JB is not.  Despite their mutual respect for one another JB and Smart had their share of confrontations.

Disruptive?
Yes disruptive like Smart publically calling out the Jay's last year.
alien
Or big mouth Grant chirping at the refs and the coach.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:19 am

Grant got on my nerves too, but I liked his play.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:55 am

I don't agree that Smart was disruptive. He was all about the team and winning. The J's needed a little kick in the butt as they were progressing. I would be willing to bet that both J's now appreciate his criticism and hopefully because of Smart they have matured to the point that they are the team leaders.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:26 am

Celtics17 wrote:I don't agree that Smart was disruptive. He was all about the team and winning. The J's needed a little kick in the butt as they were progressing. I would be willing to bet that both J's now appreciate his criticism and hopefully because of Smart they have matured to the point that they are the team leaders.

Celtics17

Smart and the Jays played more games together than any other trio of guys on this team. They were pretty much joined at the hip.

There was nothing wrong with what Smart said. That was not disruptive however he should have keep those conversations in house. Once the media got hold of it, it became disruptive for the team. If you recall coach Udoka stated something to the effect that "he (Marcus) needs to fix it" I would wager that Smart had to apologize to Jayson and Jaylen for putting them on blast (media) instead of having a private conversation with them.

In my opinion, it is quite possible that Smart has been standing in the way of Jayson or Jaylen taking over leadership roles. Smart has strong personality and presence about him.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:20 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:

gyso

Disruptive?
Yes disruptive like Smart publically calling out the Jay's last year.
alien
Or big mouth Grant chirping at the refs and the coach.

Oh please DBoss gimme a frigging break.

Smart needed to called your adopted pets out. They were playing like fluffernutter.

Chirping at the referees was not exclusive to Grant. One of those adopted pets of yours was pretty famous for that himself.
I won’t mention any names just initials, Jayson Tatum!

Grant talked sh&&% because the refs sucked and his coach couldn’t muster up the courage to do it himself.

Dem 2 pets are not and have not been leaders and I don’t think it’s in their DNA.

There were disruptions on this team but that ain't it.  affraid  Sir!

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:09 pm

Ktron

As I stated..there was nothing wrong with what Smart said but he should have kept it inhouse.

At this point it is water under the bridge.  Big mouth Grant is gone although I would rather that he was still here.  And Smart has never played consistently at both ends of the court to be an ultimate leader.  Smart could never seem to realize that he is no big time scorer.  

Grant made a complete ass out of himself several times.  At least he admitted that he needed to be more professional in case you forgot about that.

The 2 disruptive fellows are gone and just maybe the team will figure things out.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:07 am

dboss wrote:
Celtics17 wrote:I don't agree that Smart was disruptive. He was all about the team and winning. The J's needed a little kick in the butt as they were progressing. I would be willing to bet that both J's now appreciate his criticism and hopefully because of Smart they have matured to the point that they are the team leaders.

Celtics17

Smart and the Jays played more games together than any other trio of guys on this team.  They were pretty much joined at the hip.  

There was nothing wrong with what Smart said.  That was not disruptive however he should have keep those conversations in house.  Once the media got  hold of it, it became disruptive for the team.  If you recall coach Udoka stated something to the effect that "he (Marcus) needs to fix it"   I would wager that Smart had to apologize to  Jayson and Jaylen for putting them on blast (media) instead of having a private conversation with them.

In my opinion, it is quite possible that Smart has been standing in the way of Jayson or Jaylen taking over leadership roles.  Smart has strong personality and presence about him.

Dboss

+1, totally agree with your assessment. It's too bad the media got wind of Smart's comments. I always feel Smart was all about the team, but maybe it is time for this to be the J's team.

Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down