Post Game - Preseason vs Philly - Sunday, October 11 (W)

5 posters

Go down

Post Game - Preseason vs Philly - Sunday, October 11 (W) Empty Post Game - Preseason vs Philly - Sunday, October 11 (W)

Post by gyso Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:34 am

Celtics-76ers takeaways: Derrick White does it all; ‘Preseason P' stays hot

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-76ers-takeaways-derrick-white-013638624.html

Justin Leger
Thu, Oct 12, 2023, 8:12 AM EDT·5 min read

The Boston Celtics improved to 2-1 in the preseason with another win over the Philadelphia 76ers on Wednesday night.

While stars Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown got the night off, C's fans still got to watch starters Jrue Holiday, Kristaps Porzingis, and Derrick White take the court at Wells Fargo Center. They helped Boston to an exciting 112-101 victory over its Eastern Conference rival.

Once again, Payton Pritchard (17 points) was the C's leading scorer. Sam Hauser and Svi Mykhailiuk chipped in 15 points each, and the trio of White, Porzingis, and Holiday finished with 11 apiece.

Kelly Oubre Jr. led the Sixers with 18 points off the bench. Tyrese Maxey was right behind him with 17 in the losing effort.

The C's will host the New York Knicks for their penultimate preseason game next Tuesday. Before we look ahead, here are our takeaways from Wednesday's matchup.

A second look at Jrue Holiday and Kristaps Porzingis

The prized offseason additions got Monday's game off after making their Celtics debuts on Sunday. They returned to action in Philly and made a strong second impression.

Holiday and Porzingis paced the C's with 11 points apiece in the first half. It was a much more efficient performance for Holiday than his preseason opener as he made five of his seven shot attempts, including one 3-pointer. He also notched two assists and two rebounds.

Porzingis, who dropped 17 points in the preseason opener, tallied five of his points Wednesday night from the free-throw line. He was 2-for-2 from beyond the arc and brought down five boards before being benched along with Holiday for the second half.

Even without Tatum and Brown in the lineup, the Celtics look scary on both ends of the court with Holiday and Porzingis in the mix.

The preseason of Pritchard continues

Payton Pritchard, or "Preseason P" as C's play-by-play broadcaster Drew Carter dubbed him Wednesday night, is on fire.

The 25-year-old guard has now led Boston in scoring in all three preseason games. This time, he dropped 17 points on 7-of-15 shooting (3-9 3-PT) while dishing three assists and adding a steal.

It's easy to overreact during the preseason, but Pritchard sure looks like someone who's ready to reward his team for inking him to a four-year contract extension. He should play a key role off the bench in the upcoming campaign.

Derrick White is a Top 100 player

White was noticeably snubbed from ESPN's Top 100 NBA player rankings despite a stellar 2022-23 season in which he earned All-Defensive honors. He showed on Wednesday why he belongs not just on the list, but on the upper half of it.

As he did throughout last season and the playoffs for Boston, White did a little bit of everything in the preseason tilt. He quickly provided a reminder of his two-way talent with a block on Maxey followed by a 3-pointer on the other end.

That was the first of White's three blocks in the first half. He added 11 points (4-8 FG) and four assists before taking a seat and letting the second unit play out the second half of the game.

The Celtics are in good hands with White and Holiday leading the backcourt going forward.

Neemias Queta makes the most of his minutes

Queta auditioned for a frontcourt role with Boston on Monday, and it was a mixed bag. The 7-footer, who was the 2022 G-League MVP runner-up last season, made his presence felt in the paint but had five fouls in just 14 minutes against the Knicks.

On Wednesday against Philadelphia, however, Queta made an impact while staying out of foul trouble. He had 10 points -- including back-to-back dunks -- and three rebounds but most importantly, zero fouls in eight minutes.

More performances like this one could earn Queta a role off the C's bench. Given the team's lack of frontcourt depth, that would certainly come in handy.

Sam Hauser finds his groove

We mentioned on Monday that Hauser was ice-cold from long range to start his preseason, but that changed on Wednesday night.

Hauser found his rhythm, hitting four of his nine 3-point shots and finishing with 15 points in 22 minutes. A team-best +16, he also logged four rebounds, three assists, a steal, and a block in an impressive all-around performance.

The Celtics' offense is set to be one of the league's best regardless, but when Hauser is red-hot from 3-point range, it makes Boston that much tougher to stop. Opponents will have their hands full if Hauser and the second unit hold up their end of the bargain behind arguably the best top-six in the NBA.

Another sharpshooter on Boston's bench?

Svi Mykhailiuk, who signed a partially guaranteed deal with the Celtics during the offseason, has impressed in both of his preseason appearances. After scoring 15 points with three 3-point makes on Monday, the journeyman forward went 3-for-4 from long range to finish with 15 points again in Wednesday's game.

Mykhailiuk is making his case for a role on the C's bench. If he can provide this level of 3-point shooting on a consistent basis, he'd form a lethal long-range trio on the second unit alongside Pritchard and Hauser. He's a 36 percent shooter in his career from 3-point range, so it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Mykhailiuk also recorded six rebounds and two assists in 19 minutes.

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Preseason vs Philly - Sunday, October 11 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Preseason vs Philly - Sunday, October 11 (W)

Post by dbrown4 Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:54 am

Yep. Doogie has finally awakened from his long summer's nap. P-Squared is now forcing the inevitable question given his vertically challenged stature, "Well yeah, but will he be able to continue this during the regular season, wink, wink?" and thus squash all the know-it-all skeptics. This article even takes a jab with "Pre-season P" implying for us to enjoy the show because once the regular season starts it will be the birth of James Harden, Jr. Prove them wrong Pritch!!

Mykhailiuk continues to shine and is earning his spot.

And since I'm in the sales for a living, I'm going to call him Quota because I can pronounce that, but his game is impressive as well.

Porkchop and Jrue are finding their grooves.

Only thing with P-Squared, whoever mentioned the dribble, dribble, dribble ala James Harden everyone else stops watches, offense motion dies is dead on. Think and play like Rondo. Push hard and create. Keep being the first one down court until your teammates figure it out and catch up.

DW being DW. He may quietly be the glue this year that holds all this together.

We'll see.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Preseason vs Philly - Sunday, October 11 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Preseason vs Philly - Sunday, October 11 (W)

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:22 am

After the first Philly game their fans were talking about how we barely beat their team minus Embiid and Harden.  They were feeling pretty good about themselves.  Last night we beat that same squad, minus Embiid and Harden, but without either of the Js and we beat them decisively.  We were up by 20 at one point.  It was 72-72 with just 4:32 minutes left in the 3rd (it was 72-72 with 7:05, and there was zero scoring for either team for 2 1/2 minutes).  We then went on an 18-3 run to go into the final frame up 15.  18 minutes in 4 1/2 minutes is a 48 point quarter, and 3 points in the same 4 1/2 minutes is an 8 point quarter for them.  Now, we know that they weren't going to go a full 12 minutes and only score 8 points but it does highlight the complete domination by the Celtics for almost half a period.  Sam with a 3 and 3 ftm, Preseason P with a 3 and a two (Queta assist), Queta with 2 fgm (one a PP assist) and Luke with a +1 (Sam assist).  Springer had the Sixers' only 3.  Of our 18 points Sam had a hand in 9 of them and PP 7.  3 assists on 5fgm is pretty good for a 2nd unit.

And then Queta put the exclamation point to it all to start the 4th.  Starting off up 15, no small credit to his contributions, he scored the first 4 points of the 4th to put us up 19.  Beverly hit a 3 and then Queta came back with an alleyoop to put us back up by 15.  Then Svi hit a 3 and we're up 18 and that sealed it.   The 11 point final margin of victory really doesn't reveal just how much of a debacle the last 16 1/2 minutes were for the Sixers.  They lost 40-29 and that was because we let them back in towards end with meaningless scores.

Sam finally looked good.  He's a scrapper but his shot has been way off through the first two preseason games.  Credit to Joe to keep him in the starting 5 during the two games he wasn't playing our normal starters despite that.  There was a stretch in the game where he was everywhere on offense and defense.  Tear drop 3s and some really outstanding defense.  He's getting these starts in part, I think, because Joe knows and trusts Sam more than he does with Svi, but also because Sam's defense is just better.  Svi is a better offensive player, certainly more versatile, he can do more than just shoot 3s, but I've noticed Sam's passing has improved quite a bit.  Last night he had 3 assists and zero turnovers.  If Payton gave me those numbers I'd be ok, and Payton's supposed to be doing those numbers.

Neemias Queta with 10 points, 3 rebounds and 2 assists, zero turnovers in just 8 minutes.  He's already signed as a two-way.  Is it possible he could get that upgraded?  We need another true big.  Luke has grown on me but, if we start double-big lineups then Luke is our first big off the bench and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.  He held the fort surprisingly well last year, full credit for shocking my pants off with that, but our full-time first big off the bench?  On the other hand, is Queta ready for that role?  Is Queta not just good enough, but consistent enough, to pass Luke on the depth chart?
I'm not convinced of that yet either.

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
yesterday
Neemias Queta isn't the same swat-it-out-of-the-sky rim protector as Rob Williams, but with his size and strength he'll have opponents checking their healthcare plan before driving. A nice element to have on the roster. ... Red would have loved him.

I have been very impressed with Jrue's perimeter defense so far.  He really gets into his man out there.  We know about Derrick's defense, he had 3 blocks in 17 minutes last night, and we know OF Jrue's defense but watching it in multiple games is a bit of an eye-opener.  Our starting back court's defense is going to be SO good, and offensively we're talking about a combined 31.5ppg.  I know those are last year's numbers, and Jrue is now the 4th scoring option (after the Js and Z) instead of 3rd after Giannis and Khris, but still, that's a lot of points from our 4th and 5th options.

We've become a team of single-letter initials.  The Js (now 3 of them), Z, Q, V.  Who else?  There's only one "P", only one "A", only one "K", only one "O(shae)".  Now that Svi is "V" there's only one "S" and if Luke is "K" then Lamar can be "L".  You can tell I spend way too much time on this when I'm consciously trying to conserve keystrokes.

Banton's ears popped in his return to Earth.  After a pretty impressive game vs the Knicks he got quite a bit of runtime with the starters last night and failed to get the job done, a performance noted by Joe.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Looked like Dalano Banton didn't dive for a loose ball at the first opportunity and Joe Mazzulla pulled him one play into the half so Joe could rip him a new one.

He's our 4th guard, which is about right for his price.  I was wondering why we were able to snag a 6'7" point guard for peanuts.  I got a partial answer last night.  Oh well, we'll see.  His contract this year isn't guaranteed until Opening Night.  You have a week or so to sew up that hole Joe tore into you and convince him (and Brad) you belong.  Joe's a nice guy.  If anything he showed a tendency to leave players in too long last year.  For him to pull you one play into the half so he can use you like Jerry Tarkanian used to use that towel isn't good.

P is Preseason Perfect.  17 points on 7-15 in 24 minutes is what I'd love to see from him in the regular season (maybe he gets fewer minutes, but that kind of production).  Unfortunately he had 3 assists and 2 turnovers.  That is neither enough assists nor the floor general efficiency I'm hoping for.  Ok, so he's not Perfect, but he's Pretty close.

Brissett is ok.  He doesn't particularly impress me, but he hasn't shown me any glaring weaknesses either.  He was 0-5 last night, I don't care, but he did get 6 rebounds, 2 assists and zero turnovers in 16 minutes.  Rebound and defend.  You'll do better than 0-5, that's why I'm not worried.  He took two 3pt fgas.  No more than that per game, please.

V with 15 points in 19 minutes.  6 rebounds.  He's more versatile than S offensively but I'm still dubious about his D.  S was absolutely ferocious out there last night.

We keep getting 3 second defensive calls on us. Joe needs to spend a few minutes with his 2nd unit players making them aware of their spacing. In regular games a technical ftm or two can be the difference between a W and an L.

This will be the last preseason game I will be watching since I'm leaving Monday evening on another one of my trips.  I'm bringing my computer with me, so I'll try and join the Game On! threads while I'm on the road (WiFi connection quality permitting).

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401591891

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:33 pm

Pre season is still record it and liberally use the fast forward button.

Nothing new learned last night.

I still think Pritchard is more than just a nice blip on the radar. I think we're seeing his max effort and the chip placed on his shoulder last season pay off.

I still think there is some potential with Banton. We don't need everyone to shoot 3s, but someone who can drive and also board is good to have in that guard spot. A 6' 7" guard who can do those two things would be good to carry. I liked that Banton took Mazzulla's coaching to heart when he got yanked and returned with a good defensive effort.

We're still in serious need of bigs. Queta isn't spectacular, but he has the size we lack and he looks like he might be able to eat a couple of minutes here and there as a short reliever.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:56 pm

bobheckler wrote:After the first Philly game their fans were talking about how we barely beat their team minus Embiid and Harden.  They were feeling pretty good about themselves.  Last night we beat that same squad, minus Embiid and Harden, but without either of the Js and we beat them decisively.  We were up by 20 at one point.  It was 72-72 with just 4:32 minutes left in the 3rd (it was 72-72 with 7:05, and there was zero scoring for either team for 2 1/2 minutes).  We then went on an 18-3 run to go into the final frame up 15.  18 minutes in 4 1/2 minutes is a 48 point quarter, and 3 points in the same 4 1/2 minutes is an 8 point quarter for them.  Now, we know that they weren't going to go a full 12 minutes and only score 8 points but it does highlight the complete domination by the Celtics for almost half a period.  Sam with a 3 and 3 ftm, Preseason P with a 3 and a two (Queta assist), Queta with 2 fgm (one a PP assist) and Luke with a +1 (Sam assist).  Springer had the Sixers' only 3.  Of our 18 points Sam had a hand in 9 of them and PP 7.  3 assists on 5fgm is pretty good for a 2nd unit.

And then Queta put the exclamation point to it all to start the 4th.  Starting off up 15, no small credit to his contributions, he scored the first 4 points of the 4th to put us up 19.  Beverly hit a 3 and then Queta came back with an alleyoop to put us back up by 15.  Then Svi hit a 3 and we're up 18 and that sealed it.   The 11 point final margin of victory really doesn't reveal just how much of a debacle the last 16 1/2 minutes were for the Sixers.  They lost 40-29 and that was because we let them back in towards end with meaningless scores.

Sam finally looked good.  He's a scrapper but his shot has been way off through the first two preseason games.  Credit to Joe to keep him in the starting 5 during the two games he wasn't playing our normal starters despite that.  There was a stretch in the game where he was everywhere on offense and defense.  Tear drop 3s and some really outstanding defense.  He's getting these starts in part, I think, because Joe knows and trusts Sam more than he does with Svi, but also because Sam's defense is just better.  Svi is a better offensive player, certainly more versatile, he can do more than just shoot 3s, but I've noticed Sam's passing has improved quite a bit.  Last night he had 3 assists and zero turnovers.  If Payton gave me those numbers I'd be ok, and Payton's supposed to be doing those numbers.

Neemias Queta with 10 points, 3 rebounds and 2 assists, zero turnovers in just 8 minutes.  He's already signed as a two-way.  Is it possible he could get that upgraded?  We need another true big.  Luke has grown on me but, if we start double-big lineups then Luke is our first big off the bench and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.  He held the fort surprisingly well last year, full credit for shocking my pants off with that, but our full-time first big off the bench?  On the other hand, is Queta ready for that role?  Is Queta not just good enough, but consistent enough, to pass Luke on the depth chart?
I'm not convinced of that yet either.

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
yesterday
Neemias Queta isn't the same swat-it-out-of-the-sky rim protector as Rob Williams, but with his size and strength he'll have opponents checking their healthcare plan before driving. A nice element to have on the roster. ... Red would have loved him.

I have been very impressed with Jrue's perimeter defense so far.  He really gets into his man out there.  We know about Derrick's defense, he had 3 blocks in 17 minutes last night, and we know OF Jrue's defense but watching it in multiple games is a bit of an eye-opener.  Our starting back court's defense is going to be SO good, and offensively we're talking about a combined 31.5ppg.  I know those are last year's numbers, and Jrue is now the 4th scoring option (after the Js and Z) instead of 3rd after Giannis and Khris, but still, that's a lot of points from our 4th and 5th options.

We've become a team of single-letter initials.  The Js (now 3 of them), Z, Q, V.  Who else?  There's only one "P", only one "A", only one "K", only one "O(shae)".  Now that Svi is "V" there's only one "S" and if Luke is "K" then Lamar can be "L".  You can tell I spend way too much time on this when I'm consciously trying to conserve keystrokes.

Banton's ears popped in his return to Earth.  After a pretty impressive game vs the Knicks he got quite a bit of runtime with the starters last night and failed to get the job done, a performance noted by Joe.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Looked like Dalano Banton didn't dive for a loose ball at the first opportunity and Joe Mazzulla pulled him one play into the half so Joe could rip him a new one.

He's our 4th guard, which is about right for his price.  I was wondering why we were able to snag a 6'7" point guard for peanuts.  I got a partial answer last night.  Oh well, we'll see.  His contract this year isn't guaranteed until Opening Night.  You have a week or so to sew up that hole Joe tore into you and convince him (and Brad) you belong.  Joe's a nice guy.  If anything he showed a tendency to leave players in too long last year.  For him to pull you one play into the half so he can use you like Jerry Tarkanian used to use that towel isn't good.

P is Preseason Perfect.  17 points on 7-15 in 24 minutes is what I'd love to see from him in the regular season (maybe he gets fewer minutes, but that kind of production).  Unfortunately he had 3 assists and 2 turnovers.  That is neither enough assists nor the floor general efficiency I'm hoping for.  Ok, so he's not Perfect, but he's Pretty close.

Brissett is ok.  He doesn't particularly impress me, but he hasn't shown me any glaring weaknesses either.  He was 0-5 last night, I don't care, but he did get 6 rebounds, 2 assists and zero turnovers in 16 minutes.  Rebound and defend.  You'll do better than 0-5, that's why I'm not worried.  He took two 3pt fgas.  No more than that per game, please.

V with 15 points in 19 minutes.  6 rebounds.  He's more versatile than S offensively but I'm still dubious about his D.  S was absolutely ferocious out there last night.

We keep getting 3 second defensive calls on us.  Joe needs to spend a few minutes with his 2nd unit players making them aware of their spacing.  In regular games a technical ftm or two can be the difference between a W and an L.

This will be the last preseason game I will be watching since I'm leaving Monday evening on another one of my trips.  I'm bringing my computer with me, so I'll try and join the Game On! threads while I'm on the road (WiFi connection quality permitting).

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401591891

Bob

Who is the f0c& is V? S I’m gonna assume is Svi….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:58 pm

Oh just reread that crap , so V is Svi, so who is S?

Who’s on first….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:46 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Oh just reread that crap , so V is Svi, so who is S?

Who’s on first….

First name starts with "S" . . .

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:49 am

Sam or Stevens

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:04 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Sam or Stevens

Cow,

Whose first name begins with "Stevens"?  Damn, son, I changed Luke's initial from "L" to "K" to make room for someone else whose first name initial was already being used by another player.    Rolling Eyes

Serves you right for missing the Game On! thread last night. Then you'd know all this.

Bob

Last edited by bobheckler on Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:06 am

Shut up B

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:39 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Shut up B

C/O, I gave you all the clues you needed.

You be:  study scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:35 pm

He’s selectively picking some with first initial, some with second and some with middle letter….facts

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down