Newbie Looking for Tips on Best GameDay Experience

+2
dboss
brdmaverick1
6 posters

Go down

Newbie Looking for Tips on Best GameDay Experience Empty Newbie Looking for Tips on Best GameDay Experience

Post by brdmaverick1 Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:04 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this group. Before I ask my question I should give you a little bit of background on myself.

I've been a sports junkie my whole life, but I'll be honest that the Patriots and Revolution have been at the top of my fandom, but I do watch all sports. You may recognize my username from forums of those teams.

Basketball and the Celtics used to be my top priority. No, not the Larry Bird days or the Paul Pierce days, but surprisingly I was the most obsessed with them during their worst years (go figure). Yup, that's right, I was obsessed with the team when they had Dee Brown, Sherman Douglass, Dino Radja, Eric Montross, etc. We had some promise of things turning around with Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer, but it never panned out with that squad. My uncle intorduced me to football and I became an obsessed NFL fan after that.

But here it is now I have a son and despite my obsession with sports, he's just been a 'video game kid' his whole life, but alas last year he got into the Celtics. He's in 7th grade now and I'm holding onto this as much as possible, watching the games with him and trying to keep him excited about the sport and the team. Feels great to have someone else in the household to watch games with! While trying to get him more involved I've rediscovered my love for the Celtics too. Man this team is a lot of fun to watch.

But to try to build on this momentum, I'm bringing him to a Celtics game this month (Jan 29th against the Pelicans). We're not rich so I only have tickets up high, but I come here to learn some tips from the veterans on how to increase the game day experience.

When do the doors actually open? If you have tickets up high, can you still go down near the court for warmups? Is there a certain area we should aim for? Do players ever interact with kids before the game (like give autographs or take pics)?

We're prepared to get their as soon as doors open because I really want him to soak in the whole experience.

I would certainly love any tips you guys may have.

Thanks,

Brian the forum newbie

***THis seems like a great board and I'm sure you'll see me posting here on the regular after finding it. Look forward to conversing with many of you.

brdmaverick1

Back to top Go down

Newbie Looking for Tips on Best GameDay Experience Empty Re: Newbie Looking for Tips on Best GameDay Experience

Post by dboss Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:35 pm

Brdmaverick1

Welcome to this forum.

I have not lived in Boston for a long time so I am not remotely familiar with the protocols at TD Gardens.

It is really good that your son gets to see them live with you.  Special memories last a lifetime.  During the holidays as I watched the games I saw a lot of kids at the games.  It was great to see because the Celtics continue to have generational impact.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Newbie Looking for Tips on Best GameDay Experience Empty Re: Newbie Looking for Tips on Best GameDay Experience

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:05 am

brdmav

My father and I watched Celtics games together from the time I started watching TV. The most vivid memory when I knew it was a really big game was game 7 in 69 Finals, I think I was 8 or 9. I still remember a crucial block by Russell on Willis Reed in that years playoffs that was crucial and my Dad jumping with joy. I’ve been a die hard fan ever since, and my 2 kids are big Celtic fans. I remember chuckling years ago when my youngest son Johnny was hanging with a group of his friends and he was arguing with one of them about Rondo being his favorite pg and explaining why he was the best pg in basketball 😂😎

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:20 am

Hi Mav, welcome to the board. Looking forward to reading your thoughts and maybe even sharing observations and excitement with you on the Game On! thread (which I try to join when I'm not traveling like I am now).

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:16 pm

Welcome to the board Mav! Hopefully this elevates me from being the newest member of the board.

Can't give you tips about TD Garden, it is still on my bucket list. From my experience at other arenas, doors open 1-hour before the tip-off. You will likely not be allowed to go courtside for warm up. That is very limited and by invitation only. The arena experience is not just about the game. There are a lot of entertainment events that they put up in the middle. Perhaps your son can practice some special dance moves and try to get on the dance cam during a timeout.

Have a great time.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:01 pm

brdmaverick,

Welcome to the board! I hope you will join us here often.

It's been a couple of years since I traveled to Boston for a game. I recall doors used to open to the general public about 90 minutes before game time, but I've been told it is now 60 minutes before tip-off. I'm not certain how strict they are about getting near courtside for warmups, but it might be hard to do. There is not a lot of room down there. There are 4 sets of stairs, one toward each of the four corners of the arena, near the east and west ends. I'm guessing but those might be the spots where you could at least get to floor level and see how close you can get. One of our board members who live in the area and are more familiar with the arena might be able to give better insight on this one. I've found the ticket office and group sales offices to be helpful in the past. From the 'it never hurts to try' approach, it might be worth a call to let them know you're bringing a youngster to their first game and seek out some suggestions.

Several hotels in walking distance. There's a Marriott Courtyard about 4 or 5 blocks away. A few others across the way or within a block or two across Causeway St, but those might be a little pricier.

I hope you and your son enjoy the game!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down