Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W)

+3
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
gyso
7 posters

Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W) Empty Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W)

Post by gyso Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:00 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401585444

Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W) Box_s155
Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W) Box_s156
Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W) Box_s157

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W)

Post by gyso Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:00 pm

Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W) Game_f57

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W)

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:48 am

A frustrating first half, because we couldn't maintain any separation, and the start of the 3rd was bad because we let those undermanned Knicks tie us at 64, but then we opened it up.

Zinger with a slow start, it even looked like Hartenstein was outplaying him, but he ended up with a quieet 22 on 7-11 and 3-4 from 3. Hartenstein with 7 rebounds, 5 offensive. That's embarrassing.

In fact, 15 of the Knicks' 39 rebounds were offensive. Achiuwa also had 4. There's 9 right there, the entire Celtic team had 10. I was talking about how undermanned their front court is but they out worked us on the boards when they had no right to be that successful.

Great game by Brunson. 34 on 12-25, 4-9 from 3, 9 assists.

Jaylen with 30 on 13-24, 8 rebounds. He was 3-9 from 3. That means he was 10-15 from 2. Modern day players just have no conscience and it's all the fault of those damn metrics. 3-9 from 3 is an eFG% of 45% and shooting 45% is good even if it is painful to watch those 6 misses.

We shot 57.5% from the field and 43% from 3. It is hard to beat us when we're shooting that well.

One thing, though, was we only took 80 fgas. NY only took 82, so it was just a complete mudfest, but 80 fgas is not something we want to have again.

Two shout-outs to our bench. Sam was being given some tough defensive assignments and playing well on them. Who would have thought this last year, that Joe would be putting Sam Hauser on tougher defensive assignments? He's come a long way. He's also shooting 41.9% from 3 now. Another shout-out goes to Pritchard for 2 very aggressive and rugged offensive rebounds. He is NOT afraid to stick his nose in. The last shout-out goes to Al. 10 points on 5-7, 7 rebounds with 4 offensive in 26 minutes. Al went 3-5 for 7 points in the 4th. Also, 5 of his 7 rebounds, and all 4 of his offensive ones, came in the 4th as did his single block. Helluva 4th quarter by Al.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Kristaps Porzingis: "Man D White, he’s so good. Man, he’s like so good. I don’t think you guys know how good he is. The way he plays basketball, this man is like so good."

I turned them off fairly quickly, but Doris and JJ Redick mentioned how they haven't seen Porzingis smile this much since his rookie year. Being on the best team in the NBA will do that for you, especially after laboring in the 4th level of James Dolan's inferno, then Dallas that never went anywhere, and then on a Wizards team that never went anywhere, in part due to Beal's poor health, and then getting shipped out in a complete roster tear down. He has a nice long extension, he's winning. If that doesn't make him happy he needs therapy.

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
yesterday
Joe Mazzulla on Jayson Tatum: "I thought today was a beautiful display of basketball from Jayson. It will go overlooked and it won’t go in the most valuable category….My hat’s off to him for knowing that’s a way for us to win."

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:44 am

Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W) GHKsE-PWYAA2J8r?format=jpg

Post Game - Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Saturday, February 24 (W) GHKsFB_XMAAe2-j?format=jpg

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:11 am

After the game they interviewed Jrue, asked him about the booing of KP, he said he loved it and KP did too!!! Their loss
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:56 am

A nice W.

Games this time of year point out who your true rivals for a title are and what areas of the game you should address.

The Knicks will be among the opponents in the way. Sitting two starters it was basically the Celtics vs Brunson. We knew we couldn’t defend him and let him shoot from distance. Not a workable strategy when they’re at full strength.

The push story has been that we’re the top rebounding team but when you separate out OREB, the story is not so clear. We’re often edged out on the offensive glass and need to improve second chance points.

Overall the starting five continues to shine. If Tatum and Brown keep driving to the rim more, to balance out their shooting from distance, rival defenses are going to get set further back. Add to that the hope that 75-year old Al Horford continues to play like a 30-year old Al Horford and you have to like Celtic odds of securing that top spot in the conference.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:24 am

Nice win, but the Knicks were down Randle and Annouby. There was no way Brunson was going to beat us single handed last night. Other than giving up too many rebounds on the defensive end, I thought we played great.

Holiday is so underrated, he does so many little things on both ends of the floor.

The J's were both tremendous. They did whatever was needed and the Knicks had no answers for either J.

It will be interesting if we have to play the Knicks with both teams at full strength. I think we will handle them, but it will be a good test.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:32 pm

So I was at the game and had a blast bantering with different Knick and Celtic fans. Love how if you know the game, you can laugh together within the game without even knowing their names. The kid next to me, a complete stranger was a Celtic fan, the guys behind me were Knick fans; then a few rows back were some green wearing Celtic fans, would turn around and look at them a few times after some great plays by us. The 2 buddies I went with are Knick fans, we were having a blast bantering back and forth.

Some of my up close observations:

Our defense really set the tone, Brunson got his, but we suffocated everyone else. Our switching defense on the perimeter was so fun to watch. What a pleasure to watch our wings shutdown points and our guards have no problem taking on a bigger player on a switch.

Tatum and Brown are such routinely great difficult shot makers. Up close, had great seats about 8 rows behind the basket, was amazed at the degree of difficulty on some of their shots that they were burying. They could make those shots and in a variety of ways and other players, the mere mortals just can’t; that’s like 95% of the league, but I have no stats to back that up. What’s even better is the J’s have matured and are spraying that ball around while they’re in a zone with their capes on. The coaching has been phenomenal, this is like the way I always wanted them to play the game.

One time after a lightning fast electrifying finish by Jaylen one of my friends said that’s not fair lol. Jaylen had some bullyball drives/post ups that were pure Lebron where he was just too strong, then as he breaks the defenders balance he just leaps over them. Jaylen did these kind of finishes in the paint numerous times. He had 20 points at halftime putting on a complete clinic. One of the guys behind me said, he’s just too big after Tatum did a spin move drive finishing with a dunk. I turned to the guy and said he’s as big as Magic Johnson. Tatum has had a lot of moments he’s reminded me of Magic with his passing this year, but he’s also got so many different finishing moves on his forays at the rim. He should actually being going to the line even more, but he doesn’t get enough calls.

With guys like White, Holiday, Zinger, Al, Pritch, Sam to spread the floor, this team is a load to defend and built perfectly for this era. Luke has even found his niche as a dunking lob threat and offensive rebounder. We are really figuring it out how to play the right way and we seem to gelling at the right time. Hope the Knick fans had a good time seeing the best team in basketball.

So I’m gonna send my videos to Steve see if he can help me post them on the board….

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:34 pm

The good things first

The Celtics won their 8th straight game and also their 8th straight on the road.

Al Horford played a solid 26 minutes going 5-7 from the field and had 7 rebounds with 4 of them on the offensive glass.  

The Celtics only had 7 TOV and 27 assists.

The Celtics shot 56.8% from the field and 42.9% from deep.

At 45-12 they have matched the 2007-2008 team through 57 games.

This was not an easy game to win but what I saw was an inner strength by the Celtics and the resilience to complete the task at hand.  A game at MSG on a Saturday night is no small potatoes.  The Celtics are immune to all the hype and prognostications.  It was a very close game for a while but the Celtics executed their game plan at a very high level.  The Knicks were missing 3 starters and can only dream about a matchup with a full compliment of healthy bodies.  Well, they get one more crack at it. The best that they can do is to finish the regular season at 1-4 vs the Celtics.  The Knicks could  slip into the play-in round.

Not great but not that bad

Boston scored 116 points which is below their season average and it really comes down to FGA.  In particular they only took 35 three point shots.  Can you believe I am saying that?  Boston did not push the ball throughout the game.  This was a halfcourt masterpiece as the Celtics scored just 10 fast break points and the Knicks only had 5.  

KP did not do a good job on the glass.  He was being manhandle all night.  But there are two side to every coin.  He scored 22 points on an efficient 7-11 and 3-4 from behind the arc.  The knicks had 39 total rebounds to 36 for us.  They were more effective on the offensive glass 15-11 but that is only a -4.  The game was probably closer than it needed to be because the Celtics did not play with enough pace.  

Aside from all the blowing smoke and carnival mirrors, the Celtics came away with a W in a very hostile environment.

With 3 games coming up at home before an extended road trip, look for the Celtics to sweep all 3 games.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:38 pm

Cow

Wow.. how did you managed to gets tickets?

I am very happy for you.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:30 pm

Lucky you, I would have to sell my husband to get tickets here in Boston, might have to throw something else in for tickets, they are pricing the little fan out of the game. My days of knowing season ticket holders are over, that's what happens when you retire!!!!!!!! Great that you were there, I will, to the day I die, always say "being there is twice the fun" or more. Knicks are going to be a handful in the playoffs
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:41 pm

dboss wrote:Cow

Wow.. how did you managed to gets tickets?  

I am very happy for you.  

A buddy of mine, actually a die hard Knicks fan invited me, we almost went last year, then it fell thru. He knows I’m great company for any Celtics game. Lol

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:51 pm

dboss wrote:The good things first

The Celtics won their 8th straight game and also their 8th straight on the road.

Al Horford played a solid 26 minutes going 5-7 from the field and had 7 rebounds with 4 of them on the offensive glass.  

The Celtics only had 7 TOV and 27 assists.

The Celtics shot 56.8% from the field and 42.9% from deep.

At 45-12 they have matched the 2007-2008 team through 57 games.

This was not an easy game to win but what I saw was an inner strength by the Celtics and the resilience to complete the task at hand.  A game at MSG on a Saturday night is no small potatoes.  The Celtics are immune to all the hype and prognostications.  It was a very close game for a while but the Celtics executed their game plan at a very high level.  The Knicks were missing 3 starters and can only dream about a matchup with a full compliment of healthy bodies.  Well, they get one more crack at it. The best that they can do is to finish the regular season at 1-4 vs the Celtics.  The Knicks could  slip into the play-in round.

Not great but not that bad

Boston scored 116 points which is below their season average and it really comes down to FGA.  In particular they only took 35 three point shots.  Can you believe I am saying that?  Boston did not push the ball throughout the game.  This was a halfcourt masterpiece as the Celtics scored just 10 fast break points and the Knicks only had 5.  

KP did not do a good job on the glass.  He was being manhandle all night.  But there are two side to every coin.  He scored 22 points on an efficient 7-11 and 3-4 from behind the arc.  The knicks had 39 total rebounds to 36 for us.  They were more effective on the offensive glass 15-11 but that is only a -4.  The game was probably closer than it needed to be because the Celtics did not play with enough pace.  

Aside from all the blowing smoke and carnival mirrors, the Celtics came away with a W in a very hostile environment.

With 3 games coming up at home before an extended road trip, look for the Celtics to sweep all 3 games.

Very good observation on Zingers rebounding, my buddy that I went with had told me as soon as we signed Zinger that he was not a good rebounder and that he’s injury prone. We have done a masterful job load managing him and keeping him healthy. He can get beat to spots in the infighting under the boards and can have trouble maintaining position and balance. I’m amazed we are the no 1 rebounding team in the league, somehow the group effort without one board eating monster seems to be holding up.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:05 pm

One last observation

Jaylen is jacked, he looks exactly like the explosive gifted athlete he is, up close it’s even more obvious. Marcus Smart could have been a great MMA fighter or linebacker in the NFL. Jaylen could have been an all world DE or TE easily IMHO.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down