Post Game - Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Monday, March 25 (L)

+6
willjr
bobheckler
NYCelt
RosalieTCeltics
prakash
gyso
10 posters

Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Monday, March 25 (L) Empty Post Game - Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Monday, March 25 (L)

Post by gyso Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:55 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401585662

Post Game - Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Monday, March 25 (L) Box_s201
Post Game - Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Monday, March 25 (L) Box_s202
Post Game - Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Monday, March 25 (L) Box_s203

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Monday, March 25 (L) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Monday, March 25 (L)

Post by gyso Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:56 pm

Post Game - Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Monday, March 25 (L) Game_f73

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Monday, March 25 (L) Empty Re: Post Game - Celtics vs. Atlanta Hawks - Monday, March 25 (L)

Post by prakash Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:17 am

How frustrating was this loss. When they stopped playing in the second qtr I predicted to my son that we will lose. Sad that it turned out to be true.

Oh well! There is a lot to be grateful for with this team. We have to put up with a clunker once in a while.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:22 am

I thought we would lose one in Atlanta, even though we shouldn’t have, but last night was so frustrating. I realize this has been a tough stretch for the team, playing most games on the road, but if they want to consider themselves championship material, this kind of garbage cannot take place. This reminds me of last year, which i thought we were over. I realize we were missing two big key players, but that is no excuse.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:36 am

Allowing Tatum to be the defacto point guard was a mistake. Everything slows down to a snail's pace, much easier to guard. Spending 1/3 of the shot clock just to get across halfcourt is not how we should be approaching the game. How pathetic is it to have a halfcourt violation without any pressure on the ball?

Shock and awe, shock and awe. That's how we get big leads. Dribble, dribble, dribble, weak fallaway shot is how we lose leads.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:54 am

Ugly.

We have an excellent lineup but two concerning flaws were exposed. The lesser of the two is our lack of mental toughness with a lead going into the 3rd Q. I expect the pressure of the playoffs might help fix the focus there.

The bigger issue may be the lack of an inside presence. Capela owned Porzingis there. Maybe Tillman, maybe Queta, but some bigger, tougher body is going to be needed to lend a hand for the playoffs.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:50 am

CHOKE.  That's what it was, we choked.  Up 30 with 4:23 left in the 2nd and we lose.  Awful.  Credit to Quinn Snyder and the Hawk for not giving up.  Shame on the Celtics for their arrogance and smugness to think they're entitled to win.  What disturbed me is how our minds unraveled.  Everybody started looking at each other like they didn't know what was going on.  It was obvious.  They had ganas, we didn't.

We showed, once again, that our guys lack maturity.  That's the bad, potentially really bad, news because the World Champion Denver Nuggets are not that (one more reason why I'd prefer OKC coming out of the West).  The good news is that we shamed ourselves on NBA TV, EVERYBODY is talking about it and now doubting them.  Hopefully a lesson was learned here.  For the most part they've been learning from losses this year, this one might be fortuitous because it's seared into their brains for the remaining 26 games (10 + fo-fo-fo-fo) to 38 games (10 + 7-7-7-7) still ahead of us.

One thing that went wrong is we stopped communicating.  They kept throwing late doubles at the ballhandlers like Tatum and Brown and making steals from their blindside and no Celtic on the floor yelled "WATCH OUT!".  "ON YOUR LEFT/RIGHT!"  Where were Al and Z during this? Why didn't the double teamer's Celtic say something about his man leaving him?

Speaking of Z, Capela completely outworked and outmuscled him.  Porzingis is tall, Porzingis is big but Porzingis isn't that strong and aggressive.  He struggles to shoot over people despite having half a dozen inches on them.  Capela with 12 rebounds, 5 offensive.  

Our defense, in general, sucked all game but especially our perimeter defense.  It's like we completely forgot everything we had been doing all season.  All season we switch on defense at the perimeter.  Last night our guys weren't switching and that was giving Hawks wide-open jumpshots or free curls to the rim which got them layups or lobs to Capela.

We shot 71% (5-7) on 3s after one, 43.5% (10-23) on 3s at the half.  Not bad, huh?  We shot 29%  for the game, 7% (1-15) in the 2nd half.  Same thing can happen when normally reliable jump shooters can't hit a bucket to save their lives.  Sam was 0-4 in the 2nd half, Z 0-3, Jaylen 0-3 and Jayson 0-3, Pritchard 0-1,  Springer 0-1.  This is the downside of being a long-range jump shooting team.  Just like with missing fritos, it's contagious.  When normally reliable frito shooters start missing everybody starts second-guessing and they start missing.  Sam's 2-10?  Sam?!  Payton's 1-4 in the 1st half from 3?  Uh-oh.  We stopped moving, we stood around and waited for the ball.  No cutting, no player movement, no ball movement.  Too much holding the ball and dribbling, dribbling, dribbling in place.

Chris Forsberg

@ChrisForsberg_
If you were hoping the Celtics had learned from the 19-dribble Tatum fadeaway in Cleveland, here’s what I believe is a 23-dribble possession for Jaylen Brown where nothing develops and he’s forced to rush up a bad shot after Atlanta pulled ahead late.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1772451271892410669

If Jaylen was expecting a double team, think about how many Celtics had to fail to move in order to make that plan fail.  If Jaylen and Jayson's defenders do a good job M2M, and the other 4 Celtics on the floor just stand there and watch, that's poor offense.  Did the Js hold the ball too much?  Yes, but nobody else did anything either to help them out.

Last year Joe got a lot of shite because he didn't call timeouts.  This year he has done much better at that and I cannot blame him for not calling them last night.  He did, they just went out and did the same thing they were doing before the timeout.  They didn't match the Hawks in energy and effort, they kept running plays for 3s instead of moving without the ball, they kept trying to iso one of the Js and either have them either take their man or draw a double (which they did, but then we didn't execute to take advantage of that).

Vit Krecji.  Who?  Exactly.  Played a grand total of 228 minutes this season before last night's 33.  Averaged 5.6ppg.  16 points last night.  Over half of his total fgas are 3s, he's their Sam Hauser, and yet we repeatedly left him alone at the arc.  Now that is Joe's, or at least the coaching staff's, fault.

The Hawks shot 11-19 from 3 in the 2nd half and ended up at 50%.

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
yesterday
Celtics have allowed opponents to shoot better than 50 pct in each of the last 4 games. I don't find it to be a coincidence that Jrue Holiday didn't play in those games -- though with the defensive talent they can put on the floor even without him, it shouldn't matter this much.

Even then we were up 3 at 2 minutes left, up 2 with 1:39 left.  What happened?  Well, down by 1 with 15 seconds left Capela gets an offensive rebound and kicks it out for a Murray 3 and that was the game.  With virtually no real front court they still got 15 offensive rebounds, and that's just plain outworking us.  There is no excuse for getting outworked, available talent or no available talent, as the Atlanta Hawks proved last night.

We now have two days, with no travel, to lick our self-inflicted wounds and obsess over payback.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:05 am

gyso wrote:Allowing Tatum to be the defacto point guard was a mistake.  Everything slows down to a snail's pace, much easier to guard.  Spending 1/3 of the shot clock just to get across halfcourt is not how we should be approaching the game.  How pathetic is it to have a halfcourt violation without any pressure on the ball?

Shock and awe, shock and awe.  That's how we get big leads.  Dribble, dribble, dribble, weak fallaway shot is how we lose leads.

Every time that Holliday, DWhite, or Pritch gives the ball to Tatum in the backcourt I want to SCREAM! He is a great player, but he is not a point forward in the Lebron, Pippen, Paul Pressey, or Detlef Shrempf mode. We all know the definition of insanity…
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:29 am

You could just see we got bored when we were up 30. CJ could have called time earlier during Atlanta's third quarter run, but he wanted them to play through it. It was almost like we wanted to make this game interesting.

The 8 second violation on Tatum was embarrassing. If he ever has to play the point again he won't make that mistake again. The big play was Tatum's turnover up 2 that led to the go ahead 3. Let's face it, we lost focus and hopefully we will learn a lesson you can do that against an NBA team. Certainly not having White or Holiday was a factor, but no excuse. You have to play every possession the right way, and we didn't do that.

The game is meaningless in the standings, but maybe it can be used as motivation to play 48 minutes. I bet these next two days of practice are going to be interesting.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:13 pm

Well we got a couple of questions answered and created a few more.

1. This should make it abundantly clear with all the lineup changes over the past few weeks, this one did not work the whole game. It was good for about half. Coach Joe, scrap that one. Never try it again. Ever.

2. This should prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Derrick White is the only non-interchangeable part on this Celtics team. Sorry, Derrick. No more nights off for you until we clinch everything and in the playoffs, no games off for you. Period. All the other players sans Pritchard and to a very small degree JT have been in and out of the lineup for whatever reasons and we've been winning by large margins regardless. DW misses one game and we have the most embarrassing loss in Celtic history. You may step down. No further questions, Your Honor.

3. We very quickly revert to last season's ISO/3-ball Desperation killers with the exact, insanity definition result. A completely unnecessary loss. Fortunately, JT hit his shots at the end. It was just too little too late. If you want to see our quest for Banner 18 end in the first round, keep that crap up. That I can predict with great accuracy. MIA will be waiting.

4. There's the blueprint on how to beat us. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night (for your team)
Don't worry about us building up a huge, insurmountable lead on you. We can't hold it. We'll give it all back if you start hitting 3's and playing some pretty good defense. We had no answer. Which I hate to say goes back to the coach. MIA and PHI have downloaded this game and printing it out everywhere. They are literally consuming this video. Throw in some zone just in case and we're toast.

5. Ghosts from season's past just won't go away. While JT is getting better at being a closer and game shot winner, this team has to get its head out of its asses when a team makes a run. That's now two recent games we've officially blown, losing the lead and then losing the game. ISO's/no ball movement, reckless 3-balling, coach not calling TO's and berating the crap out of everyone...all still there.

6. We still don't have that ram it down your throat, cut your throat, pull out your heart and step on it while it's still beating mentality that one needs to see in a champion, especially playing a G-League, geriatric ward ATL team. We were just standing around looking at each other, each hoping somebody would do something.

7. Going to need to see more out of KP. Another quiet 17. He needs noisy 25's. Last few games he's been front rimming everything from 3-ville. Not good.

Good news is. No one cares. No ground lost but some very healthy, delicious humble pie served up in a flaming bag o' poo to a team/organization that evidently really needed it. This is a very good learning experience for our coach to have now and never again in the playoffs. For the love of God, fix this @$%^(@$%!!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:13 pm

dbrown4 wrote:For the love of God, fix this @$%^(@$%!!!
db

I've always liked the direct, to the point approach.

I'll go with this.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:49 pm

NYCelt wrote:Ugly.

We have an excellent lineup but two concerning flaws were exposed. The lesser of the two is our lack of mental toughness with a lead going into the 3rd Q. I expect the pressure of the playoffs might help fix the focus there.

The bigger issue may be the lack of an inside presence. Capela owned Porzingis there. Maybe Tillman, maybe Queta, but some bigger, tougher body is going to be needed to lend a hand for the playoffs.

Zinger has no butt and can be pushed around and moved in the paint. Not all good shotblockers are good defensive players, Zinger being exactly the example. His offense has been key to opening up room for everyone, I wonder if he would be better coming off the bench? More minutes against 2nd tier centers would save him alot of wear and tear.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

There goes the guy with the 10 day contract lightening us up repeatedly.

You know, some times a little defense will go a long way especially when you go 11-38 from deep (28.3%)

Energy is a strange phenomena.  

By the way the Celtics have a record of 3-3 .500 without D White.  But his absence should not have made a difference in this game.

There is nothing much that can be made of this loss.  We saw 2 games in play.  We won the first one and lost the second one.  The second one actually counted.

The Celtics went into this game after being declared the winner of the EC regular season.  A solid right cross to chin may get their attention.  Bruno the Brute really is not the second coming of Moses Malone.  However none of our 3 centers are physical enough at the rim.  No Tillman last night.  JT had a very solid game but he is not a pace and space point forward.  

The Celtics only had 7 TOVS.  Sam with a very off night on tons and tons of wide open looks (2-10)

There are no good losses but this loss may actually pay dividends by reinforcing the reality that the NBA game is 48 minutes long, not 24.  And that having respect for your opponent is way more than just another cliche.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

Well put, dboss. Let's hope they have beaten themselves up enough over the last two days to put them in an absolute frenzy come tonight and put on one more 50+ point differential slaughter fest where ATL taps out after about 5 minutes, down 40.

As it turns out, the more idle we are, the more good things happen around us. DEN lost. Thank God I don't have to listen anymore to how they have the best record after the ASG break. Actually I've been thinking we've had the best record there all the time. But the media is officially on the DEN Repeat As Champions Bus until the scenery changes. They just hoping and praying the Celtics will be led right into the wood chipper slaughter.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down