WAFER - DOES HE STAY OR GO? WE'LL SEE COME MONDAY

+2
jeb
6 posters

Go down

WAFER  - DOES HE STAY OR GO?  WE'LL SEE COME MONDAY Empty WAFER - DOES HE STAY OR GO? WE'LL SEE COME MONDAY

Post by 112288 Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Wavering on sticking with Wafer

The Celtics have until next Monday to make a decision on the contract of reserve guard Von Wafer, and president Danny Ainge wouldn’t confirm last night that the team would retain the swingman.

Wafer signed a nonguaranteed contract in August that becomes guaranteed for the rest of the season if he is on the roster Jan. 10. Wafer has improved defensively and has had his moments, such as scoring 10 points off the bench in a 96-93 victory over the Timberwolves last night, but the Celtics may waive him to increase roster flexibility. The Celtics have the maximum 15 players on their roster.

Teams are eligible to sign players to 10-day contracts starting tomorrow.

Wafer came to Boston as a scorer but has improved immensely defensively, which has impressed Ainge and coach Doc Rivers. He is averaging 1.8 points in 26 games. Wafer has been especially helpful as a backup to Paul Pierce and as an energy player off the bench.

“We like what Von’s done, how much he’s helped us,’’ Ainge said.

Ainge said he is getting calls regarding trades but he is not close to any deal. He said he would like to see the impact of his roster when at full health.

“You never know what’s going to happen but I like our roster a lot,’’ he said.

“There’s nothing close and I really like our team when we’re healthy. There’s always calls this time of year. There’s always teams trying to do things, but I like our guys. There’s a lot of talk out there but I’m not sure what we’ll do.’’

Wafer signed a nonguaranteed contract in August that becomes guaranteed for the rest of the season if he is on the roster Jan. 10. Wafer has improved defensively and has had his moments, such as scoring 10 points off the bench in a 96-93 victory over the Timberwolves last night, but the Celtics may waive him to increase roster flexibility. The Celtics have the maximum 15 players on their roster.

Teams are eligible to sign players to 10-day contracts starting tomorrow.

With all the Celtics injuries... with all the problems they've had... and with how he's played recently....

Are the Celtics REALLY going to waive Von Wafer now JUST so they might be able to sign someone at a different position later?

I understand that they're watching money. But he's not even making a million bucks. I don't see why a team that's been so hurt so far would just cut a healthy guy on the off chance they need to sign someone else later. I'm sure Danny is keeping all options open... but I can't see Von going away in the next week.

Back to top Go down

WAFER  - DOES HE STAY OR GO?  WE'LL SEE COME MONDAY Empty Re: WAFER - DOES HE STAY OR GO? WE'LL SEE COME MONDAY

Post by jeb Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:55 pm

I vote keep Von, hellz he has a huge upside and is just starting to click!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

WAFER  - DOES HE STAY OR GO?  WE'LL SEE COME MONDAY Empty Re: WAFER - DOES HE STAY OR GO? WE'LL SEE COME MONDAY

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Completely agree. Much as many of you liked someone like Lasme – Wafer fills a role that is needed on this team, and I don’t see how anyone that is currently injured fills that same role. He is just learning the system, and is starting to get aggressive on both ends of the court.

They would be crazy to cut him now.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:05 pm

I doubt money has anything to do with it.

It's all about roster flexibility and, especially, injury vulnerability at this point.

Here's betting Danny will give consideration to whether Von has fit in better with the nucleus as time has passed. It was reported that the veterans definitely did not like him at the outset.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Not to beat on Von Wafer, but we are just as thin at 3 now as we were when we started the season. That situation didn't resolve itself automatically.

Pierce is playing almost 36 minutes a game this season so far. Maybe I'm a little overprotective, but that's a lot of minutes for a 33 year old who has shown he can get worn down by the end of the season.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:15 pm

bobheckler wrote:Not to beat on Von Wafer, but we are just as thin at 3 now as we were when we started the season. That situation didn't resolve itself automatically.

Pierce is playing almost 36 minutes a game this season so far. Maybe I'm a little overprotective, but that's a lot of minutes for a 33 year old who has shown he can get worn down by the end of the season.

bob

Assuming the Celtics are thin at the 3 (an assumption I don’t happen to agree with) but either way – how does cutting a versatile player that can play both the 2 and 3 and has 4 months of learning the team defense under his belt help this team?

No matter who you bring in, it is going to take them 3 or 4 months to get up to speed – I just don’t get this kind of logic.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Not to beat on Von Wafer, but we are just as thin at 3 now as we were when we started the season. That situation didn't resolve itself automatically.

bob

Assuming the Celtics are thin at the 3 (an assumption I don’t happen to agree with) but either way – how does cutting a versatile player that can play both the 2 and 3 and has 4 months of learning the team defense under his belt help this team?

No matter who you bring in, it is going to take them 3 or 4 months to get up to speed – I just don’t get this kind of logic.

Mrkleen,

Wafer hasn't played much 3, so I'm not sure I see the same versatility you do and according to 82games.com, the time he has played at 3 has not been particularly productive, which helps to confirm my opinion.

In order to offset the learning curve, you would obviously have to bring in a veteran or someone with a particular talent or skill Danny and Doc think the team needs.

Von Wafer has played a total of 179 minutes so far this season. He played 18 in a blowout against NJ, 29 in two blowouts against TOR and DET. These recent minutes are a sizable chunk of his total playing minutes which he's getting due to injuries to two of our top 3 guards. The only active players with less floor time this year are the two rookies. I'm not going to sweat bullets over a player that, as you have correctly pointed out, is the 11th or 12th man (let's give him credit for the extra minutes over the rookies and call him the 10th man). If, however, he can be replaced with another player that is experienced and good enough to be a 9th man, then I'm open to the suggestion.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:54 pm

A “9th man” that doesn’t know the plays and has no understanding of the defensive schemes here isn’t going to help anytime soon….and since NOW is when the team needs the help, I guess I still don’t see the point.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:06 pm

I'd hesitate to putz around with the chemistry of this years squad cause it is clearly so so good.

I also think Von gives us some much needed athleticism to throw against the okc of the nba.

I feel strong we ought to keep him unless we can pick up a real scorer/stopper guy that can spel pp for 15 ero minutes ala jason rich or somebody of that caliber and i really doubt that will work money and otherwise
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:39 pm

This guy was brought in here as a sharpshooter. He may have had a good game last night, but, I haven't seen any signs of him breaking out and scoring a ton when he is brought in. His long range shot has been off since he got here. To his credit, he has picked up the defense and was definitely in part responsible for the Celtics comeback last night and final victory. Whether this
is enough to keep him on the squad is not for me to say. Danny is the smart guy there. I trust his opinion and the way he runs the club.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down