Playing to the Level...

3 posters

Go down

Playing to the Level... Empty Playing to the Level...

Post by LACELTFAN Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 am

I know it's probably an illusion but I often get the feeling this year that the C's are
playing to the level of the competition.
I'd like to see them come out and smoke Detroit tomorrow night, as in, TAKE NO PRISONERS,
beat em like a drum, end it early, let the 3rd stringers get plenty of action...
Please...(can't hurt to ask)
Sincerely, LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Playing to the Level... Empty Re: Playing to the Level...

Post by Sam Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:46 am

LA Celt Fan,

That could make a statement. It could energize the team. It could facilitate a rest for the starters. It could give the bench some run. All very beneficial and rewarding factors.

BUT.....would it be consistent with their long-term vision? The biggest need is to win games while also pacing themselves at every opportunity. Especially at the center position. Mounting the energy for an all-out assault against a lower-tier team could accomplish short-term objectives while compromising longer-term goals.

It's a very complex series of elements that this team faces. And most steps along the way represent on-the-job training because there's no set formula for meeting the challenges. It seems to me that they've adopted the policy of trying to get off to a good start; then gauging the ability of the opponent to come back; then responding with whatever is needed to secure the win ini the second half.

I saw it for years with the Russell Celtics. To some extent, veteran players use their experience to play each game based on instinct—picking their spots as to when to go all-out and when to coast a bit while knowing what they still have in reserve.. When and if they play it too close to the edge, it becomes the coach's job to surmount his job as strategist and to become a motivator as well.

It's less exciting—and more frustrating—than constant blowouts would be. But, if applied intelligently, it can have great long-term benefits.

It'll be interesting to observe what course this team takes as it goes through the last half of the season and especially if and when they get closer to full-strength.

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:19 pm

Sam, everything you say is logical and is good, level headed thinking...
tonight I'd like a blowout...
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:34 pm

LA Celt,

It would be more relaxing for all of us.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:18 am

Sam,
After having made my plea...
I take what I got...with a smile.
Put it in the W column
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:57 am

lacelt

you are right...they do play up, or down to the competition ...bummer but true.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Well, Jeb
It certainly appears that way sometimes... I'm a believer that teams kind of ebb and flow a little like a roller coaster and I see that Orlando also struggled at home last night... Just as long as the overall trend is up for the C's I'm happy. If they kept this pace they would win 64 this year...Nothing to sneeze at. There is no dominant team this year for sure but the C's are in the elite and that is always nice. Was wondering how you are doing?
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:40 pm

Good. I am currently getting two kinds of chemo and that is tough but good. I think if healthy we bring home 18 this year, I think Shaq will have another gear come playoff time. I love the chemistry on this years Celts!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:09 pm

Yes, I love the chemistry too...I'm thinking it would be a great locker room to be in...lot of fun, good mix of personalities...and good on the hardwood.
Glad to hear you are good, we are thinking of you and wishing you the best.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Something that may be flying under the radar is the impact this locker room may be having on Delonte West. It's not every environment that can absorb someone with Delonte's troubled background and make it work. There's no way to prove it, but I'd wager this is the best possible atmosphere in which he could find himself, given not only his previous problems but also the disappointment associated with his current injury.

If he and the Celtics can make beautiful music together upon his return, it will be just one more notable episode that could (IF they were to win it all) could make this season eminently bookworthy.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LACELTFAN Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:55 pm

I've been hoping for that Sam and I might add, I think Doc and DA might be a good influence too this time around. I cross my fingers.
LACELTFAN
LACELTFAN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down