mrkleen09
cowens/oldschool
Sam
steve3344
10 posters

Go down

POST GAME DETROIT Empty POST GAME DETROIT

Post by 112288 Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:34 am

Boy, they keep you in the seats to the end and not allow you to get to the parking lot! Great rally and good to see our rebounding has picked up tonight especially on the offense glass!

Good news, West is now practicing and should be back in 3 weeks, Perk due date February 4th game and JON WILL NOT HAVE SURGERY. At least he will be ready for the playoffs! Expect him sometime March.

J. O'Neal will not have knee surgery

Jan 19, 2011

Comcast SportsNet's Greg Dickerson reported from Wednesday's Celtics-Pistons game that Jermaine O'Neal will not have surgery to repair his sore left knee. Dickerson said that O'Neal is looking at about four weeks of rehab before he will attempt a return. He added that the surgery O'Neal was contemplating would have been a "cleaning out" and would not have been a major procedure.
On Monday, Doc Rivers said that if O'Neal elected to have surgery, it would likely result in him having little to no role with the team during the playoffs. O'Neal traveled to New York on Tuesday to get a second opinion on his knee, and he met with Celtics brass during Wednesday's game to determine a plan of action.

Back to top Go down

POST GAME DETROIT Empty Re: POST GAME DETROIT

Post by steve3344 Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:40 am

112288 wrote:Boy, they keep you in the seats to the end and not allow you to get to the parking lot! Great rally and good to see our rebounding has picked up tonight especially on the offense glass!

Good news, West is now practicing and should be back in 3 weeks, Perk due date February 4th game and JON WILL NOT HAVE SURGERY. At least he will be ready for the playoffs! Expect him sometime March.

J. O'Neal will not have knee surgery

Jan 19, 2011

Comcast SportsNet's Greg Dickerson reported from Wednesday's Celtics-Pistons game that Jermaine O'Neal will not have surgery to repair his sore left knee. Dickerson said that O'Neal is looking at about four weeks of rehab before he will attempt a return. He added that the surgery O'Neal was contemplating would have been a "cleaning out" and would not have been a major procedure.
On Monday, Doc Rivers said that if O'Neal elected to have surgery, it would likely result in him having little to no role with the team during the playoffs. O'Neal traveled to New York on Tuesday to get a second opinion on his knee, and he met with Celtics brass during Wednesday's game to determine a plan of action.

If it "would not have been a major procedure" regarding Jermaine's surgery, how would he be out longer than three months (which is when the playoffs start)?

And 112288, to say that "at least he'll be ready for the playoffs" rules out the strong possibility that he could injure himself again when he returns. I bet the odds of that are better than him being injury-free when the games really matter. Bottom line is, we need his defense for 10-15 minutes a game even when Perk returns. And that's scary seeing how this guy can never stay on the court for more than a few games.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:42 am

Some interesting insights after the game:

Danny confirmed that there's no ligament or cartilege damage on Jermaine. He'll be rehabbing to build strength in his leg over the next four weeks. The goal will be to get him back to 100% with no restrictions. If he had had surgery, it would have been only to clear out the area, but he might have been out for eight weeks. Jermaine does have bone on bone on his left knee. My question will be, in the last month and a half of the season and Perk presumably back, what role will there be for Jermaine? And I have to believe the answer lies very largely (so to speak) with Shaq.

KG's talking about how vocal Shaq was in the 4th, initiating a lot of the communication. Paul's talking about how much pressure Shaq takes off his teammates. It was the cross-matchups and miscommunication on defense that caused the defensive breakdowns, according to Paul. KG's talking about the team's tendency to peak in the 4th quarter. He just remarked on how he was overanxious tonight. He used a great analogy of being at a dance, and there's a skip in the record (showing his age), and you have to get back on the beat. You just have to patient and let it come.

Doc felt Shaq's size and energy won the game. He felt they "massaged" the ball all night. "We always say, 'Shoot it, pass it, or drive it, but don't massage it.' The ball must have felt great, because we massaged it all night long."

One of the numerous areas in which I think my writing's weak is the lack of good analogies. Believe it or not, I get inspiration in that area by listing to interviews of basketball people. And they're certainly coming through tonight.

Enjoy the thread.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:06 am

we didn't play particularly well,just gutted it out,great teams win games like this

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:14 am

KG: "The 4th quarter is where we peak. It doesn't matter what happens in the first three as long as we're still in the game."

Would be nice to have them turn it on earlier and leave less doubt going down the stretch - but in the end, maybe a team like this NEEDS the adversity of being up against the wall down the stretch to really step up.

Shaq was a beast last night....totally dominated for stretches and was all over the court. Pierce was steady and Von Wafer chipped in some very strong minutes on both ends. Other than that, rest of the team was so/so - but they rose to the occasion when needed.

I hope Quis is ok. Didnt look like much of a twist, but you never know.

Looking forward to seeing Big Al on Friday Night...always liked him.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:20 am

Detroit played well by holding another mirror to the Celtics and it spooked us again. Easy baskets with assists, tough defense, low scoring, forcing lots of TO's, etc. So far, whenever we've played teams that match our style, the game is tight. Almost playoff-like. It is very good to have a game like this. The good news is, we win these games now where in previous years we would blow these games.

This type of game can only help us come playoff time. We won't see DET in the playoffs more than likely. And during the season, we don't see many playoff-type games like this.

Shaq is coming alive. Game ball to him last night. Love seeing 250+ lbs hit the deck with hustle ala Dave Cowens.

Don't know what happened to RR last night. Offense was so disrupted with TO's there was no rhythm of which to speak. Give DET some credit. Lots of it. Every year there is always a team or two the Celtics don't figure out during the season. Last year it was ATL. That one was potentially more dangerous playoff-wise than this year's team, DET. This fits right into the Celtic wheelhouse of getting the most bang for their buck from this game. Like I said, we won't see DET in the playoffs. But they gave us a playoff game present during the season. Thank you, DET.

RA was RA again. Even though "The Shot" wasn't eventually ruled a three, it was a three, if you know what I mean, and I'm pretty sure you do.

Celtics again willed themselves to win. Next up, Utah. That should be a good one. Don't like the B2B @ WASH on Sat. Looks and smells like a set-up.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:25 am

Hi,
Well, what can I say.... Probably something along the following lines.
Dear Celtics,
Can you start playing defense 5 minutes before the end instead of 2. Please. Otherwise my heart may explode. Thank you very much.
Faithful fan.

Seriously. I hope Fri they'll be aware that Jazz is not Pistons.
Player of the game goes to Shaq, hands down. What an effort.
Other than that there was nothing to write home about. I hope nothing serious happened to MD's ankle.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:33 am

Missed chunks of the game visiting a good fren. But I APPLAUD Shaq for hitting the floor like a hungry rookie and just in general raising hell.

What a weird world to be puling for Shaq...what next Gasol in green? Egads the horror.

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:08 pm

These sonuvabitches are gonna give me a heart attack.

1. Game ball to Shaq. His 12 rebounds were big as we outrebounded our opponents for the first time since God was young and a couple of Tommy Points for going to the hardwood after loose balls. Five of those were my beloved offensive rebounds. He was moving very well on the shot, getting himself in position for the carom. Usually, he just stands there and hopes the ball bounces over his guy's head. Detroit was trying to run us out, since they don't have the size to beat us physically. Shaq's presence on the glass made that harder. I can't remember the last time the Celtics, as a team, out offensive-rebounded their opponents and we did it last night 14-5. Let's also not overlook Shaq's 3 steals and 2 blocks. He didn't score 25, like the young Shaq, but this game was a throwback defensively. KG has DEFINITELY got him into the program of verbally shouting out the defense.

2. We shot 45% for the game and were damn lucky to do that. We were shooting 39% for most of the game and finally hit some shots in the 4th to raise the average and steal the game. Our usual high percentage shooters, Ray Allen and Rondo, couldn't throw the ball in Boston Harbor even if they were standing on the pier. Add 17 turnovers to that and it's a miracle we won this game. KG said that the 4th quarter is their quarter. Maybe I should just tune in then and save the batteries on my defribillator.

3. Ray Allen finally came down off the mountaintop he's been on for the last month or so, but if you want to gain some insight into the mind of a shooter, you just had to watch Ray last night. Missing shots he'd normally can with ease and yet he always believes "his next one is going in". He was 1-5 in the first half and ended up 2-8 on the night, but that second one! It was like his previous 6 misses never happened, because "this one was going in". That's a shooter's mind. Other than that big bucket, he didn't have it last night. He missed 2 consecutive free throws, for Pete's sake!

4. Pierce played a good game. When you score 22 points and the whole team only scores 86, you've done your job and then some on the offensive end. Tayshaun Prince, normally a very sticky defender on Pierce struggled on the defensive end last night, but stood out offensively (for him). I didn't understand Detroit making Prince their "go to" guy in the 4th. He did well, but that's not his game.

5. Rip Hamilton's big mistake was letting someone take pictures of him with Joe Dumar's wife. That's the only explanation I can come up with for why a healthy Hamilton never took his warmups off last night. Prince and Stuckey were doing ok, but if I'm the coach of the Pistons and I need some clutch offense, I'm calling Rip's number as many times as I need to. I just don't get it. Rip is a money player. Tracy McGrady is a longer, more often injured and more selfish version of Vince Carter. T-Mac shot 2-9 last night. Has Rip Hamilton EVER shot 2-9 against the Celtics or in ANY big game? Cameras and GM's wives don't go together, not if you want to play ball Rip. I think it's pretty clear he's a goner. Barring a multi-team trade, I don't see us getting him. I'd LOVE to have Rip Hamilton coming off our bench!

6. Von Wafer did a good job last night. Doc, seeing we were struggling offensively, inserted our new designated gunner and he got to it. Von Wafer is giving me reason to re-evaluate my opinion of him. He still has got a helluva long way to go, though, before I'd keep him rather than getting Rip.

7. Three weeks until West comes back. That's 504 hours. Not only didn't Nate shoot well again, but he had only 1 assist and 2 turnovers.

Four games up in the loss column on Miami.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Missed the game for the most part but got in in time to see the last few minutes.

Marcus's team had another game last eve and their second loss 45-42
The kid had 14 points and made 7-8 shots he took but just didn't get enough touches. 4 for 4 from the field including 3 for 3 from 3 and the 2 pointer apparently his toe was on the line. (dam bright yellow sneaks) Also went 3 for 4 from the foul line.

As for the C's geesh gues they wanted the crowd to stick around. Vendors probably love it. Wonder if they cut off beer sales at a certain point in time?

Apparently just putting together 5-6 minutes of playing great on both ends of the court was enough.

Playing to the level again.

And Bob....................you are so correct on RIP. the initials are so correct right now R.I.P. He is so far in the doghouse if he gets waived it will be to the American Kennel Club.

And Shaq, think we were all hoping he would help and for several games recently the numgers were poor BUT with the return of KG, he just seems to have had a transplant of sorts. Naw you can't turn the clock back but you can try too, appears Shaq is trying to, and succeeding a little in doing so.

Just imagine Dwight Howard playing us when we are all Healthy. Starting with 6-7 minutes of Shaq, then a bit of a break with Baby perhaps but looming next to the scorers table is Perk ready to bang. And just when he thinks he can catch a break Shaq come back in.

And with west giving rest to our backcourt.

Oh man just need to keep the troops healthy.

beat

beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 pm

beat wrote:As for the C's geesh gues they wanted the crowd to stick around. Vendors probably love it. Wonder if they cut off beer sales at a certain point in time?

Beer and other food (i consider beer a meal - but hey) is off at the end of the 3rd quarter for Celtics games - start of the 3rd period for Bruins games. Period.

In 1990, I was at the Bruins / Oilers Stanley Cup game that went into 3 OT. They shut the stands at the start of the 3rd period, but at the end of OT #2 - they reopened the stands and starting giving out warm coke in coffee cups (they ran out of cups and ice)

Glen Wesley missed and OPEN NET and later Petr Klima scored....one of the best/worst memories at the old garden.

Last edited by mrkleen09 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:36 pm

mrkleen

Can't believe the C's fans would get DRUNK and a game. What are the prices for a beer there anyway?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:39 pm

beat wrote:mrkleen

Can't believe the C's fans would get DRUNK and a game. What are the prices for a beer there anyway?

beat

I think it is $7 for a Bud and $8.25 for a Sam Adams or anything decent.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:47 pm

What?

No gutter water beer for $3.50?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:57 pm

bobheckler wrote:These sonuvabitches are gonna give me a heart attack.

1. Game ball to Shaq. His 12 rebounds were big as we outrebounded our opponents for the first time since God was young and a couple of Tommy Points for going to the hardwood after loose balls. Five of those were my beloved offensive rebounds. He was moving very well on the shot, getting himself in position for the carom. Usually, he just stands there and hopes the ball bounces over his guy's head. Detroit was trying to run us out, since they don't have the size to beat us physically. Shaq's presence on the glass made that harder. I can't remember the last time the Celtics, as a team, out offensive-rebounded their opponents and we did it last night 14-5. Let's also not overlook Shaq's 3 steals and 2 blocks. He didn't score 25, like the young Shaq, but this game was a throwback defensively. KG has DEFINITELY got him into the program of verbally shouting out the defense.

2. We shot 45% for the game and were damn lucky to do that. We were shooting 39% for most of the game and finally hit some shots in the 4th to raise the average and steal the game. Our usual high percentage shooters, Ray Allen and Rondo, couldn't throw the ball in Boston Harbor even if they were standing on the pier. Add 17 turnovers to that and it's a miracle we won this game. KG said that the 4th quarter is their quarter. Maybe I should just tune in then and save the batteries on my defribillator.

3. Ray Allen finally came down off the mountaintop he's been on for the last month or so, but if you want to gain some insight into the mind of a shooter, you just had to watch Ray last night. Missing shots he'd normally can with ease and yet he always believes "his next one is going in". He was 1-5 in the first half and ended up 2-8 on the night, but that second one! It was like his previous 6 misses never happened, because "this one was going in". That's a shooter's mind. Other than that big bucket, he didn't have it last night. He missed 2 consecutive free throws, for Pete's sake!

4. Pierce played a good game. When you score 22 points and the whole team only scores 86, you've done your job and then some on the offensive end. Tayshaun Prince, normally a very sticky defender on Pierce struggled on the defensive end last night, but stood out offensively (for him). I didn't understand Detroit making Prince their "go to" guy in the 4th. He did well, but that's not his game.

5. Rip Hamilton's big mistake was letting someone take pictures of him with Joe Dumar's wife. That's the only explanation I can come up with for why a healthy Hamilton never took his warmups off last night. Prince and Stuckey were doing ok, but if I'm the coach of the Pistons and I need some clutch offense, I'm calling Rip's number as many times as I need to. I just don't get it. Rip is a money player. Tracy McGrady is a longer, more often injured and more selfish version of Vince Carter. T-Mac shot 2-9 last night. Has Rip Hamilton EVER shot 2-9 against the Celtics or in ANY big game? Cameras and GM's wives don't go together, not if you want to play ball Rip. I think it's pretty clear he's a goner. Barring a multi-team trade, I don't see us getting him. I'd LOVE to have Rip Hamilton coming off our bench!

6. Von Wafer did a good job last night. Doc, seeing we were struggling offensively, inserted our new designated gunner and he got to it. Von Wafer is giving me reason to re-evaluate my opinion of him. He still has got a helluva long way to go, though, before I'd keep him rather than getting Rip.

7. Three weeks until West comes back. That's 504 hours. Not only didn't Nate shoot well again, but he had only 1 assist and 2 turnovers.

Four games up in the loss column on Miami.

bob

bob, I know you'd love to see Hamilton coming off the bench for us, but probably not for $12.65 million a year guaranteed through 2013.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:12 pm

[quote="steve3344 [/quote]

bob, I know you'd love to see Hamilton coming off the bench for us, but probably not for $12.65 million a year guaranteed through 2013.[/quote]

Steve,

Details, details. It's just money and it's not even ours.

That's why I said it'd take a multi-team trade.

bob
P.S. Rip was one of the pieces in a 3-team trade involving NJ, so that NJ could land Carmelo. When that deal died, Rip stayed with Detroit (for now). Boston was not one of the 3 teams.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:51 pm

This is a quote, from Ray, about him taking that big gamewinning shot after being ice cold all game:

But he was 0-for-4 on treys and the aforementioned 1-for-7 overall when he got the ball late last night. Allen was, to say the least, undaunted.

“I’ve shot the ball too many times,” he said. “I don’t question going to the bathroom. I don’t question eating. It’s just that simple for me. If I close my eyes, I can make a good bit of shots.”

Here's a quote from Doc, on whether he thought twice about calling that play for 1-7 Ray Allen:

“Not with Ray,” he said. “No. Shooters make shots.

“He’s hit a lot of big shots. It was more than him as the option. He was the first option on the play, and then Paul was the second on the flare. No, Ray just makes shots, you know? He’s one of those guys. He can go 0-for-10. The one guy that believes he’s going to make it is Ray. And the second group is our team. When we drew it up, you could tell they thought it would work and they went with it. It was great.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down