Sources: Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets have initial Carmelo Anthony talks

+5
tjmakz
jeb
Sam
NYCelt
9 posters

Go down

Sources: Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets have initial Carmelo Anthony talks  Empty Sources: Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets have initial Carmelo Anthony talks

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:23 pm

The Lakers and the Denver Nuggets have had preliminary discussions about a blockbuster trade that would send Carmelo Anthony to Los Angeles, according to league sources. The Lakers' package would be built around Andrew Bynum.

Talks are in the preliminary stages, but it appears that another option besides the New York Knicks has materialized for the Nuggets.

"There have been discussions between the two teams," one of the sources said. "The Lakers are definitely an option."

Of course, Anthony, who can opt out of his contract after this season, would likely have to agree to sign a three-year, $65 million extension with the Lakers for them to part with Bynum. But Los Angeles is believed to be a city Anthony would be amenable to playing in, as he and his wife, La La Vasquez, bought a home there last summer. Two people close to Anthony said the Nuggets superstar would sign off on a deal that would make him a Laker.

More on the Lakers

For more news, notes and analysis of the Lakers, check out the Land O' Lakers blog from the Kamenetzky Brothers. Blog

The Nuggets have no interest in Lakers forward Ron Artest and sources said they may not insist on getting Lamar Odom either. A straight-up trade of Anthony for Bynum meets the financial requirements of the collective bargaining agreement, but more players could be involved since Denver would look to shed as much salary as possible.

The Nuggets are also engaged in talks with New York about a three-way trade involving the Minnesota Timberwolves. Initial discussions centered around Denver getting Wilson Chandler, with Minnesota sending Corey Brewer and a first-round pick to Denver as well. But Denver wants more than that and has its eye on young Knicks assets Danilo Gallinari and Landry Fields, along with Chandler.

Minnesota, which would receive Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry in the trade, also wants more in return if it is to send a first-round pick to Denver.

In a sign that the Denver-New York talks have heated up, Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan has had direct negotiations with Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke, according to the New York Daily News.

One stumbling block to a Nuggets-Knicks deal, however, is the health of Chandler. The Daily News reported Tuesday that he is experiencing discomfort in his surgically repaired left ankle.

With the Feb. 24 trade deadline approaching, the Nuggets are weighing every possible option, including holding on to Anthony for the remainder of the season while hoping the owners can negotiate the right to put a franchise tag on players in the new collective bargaining agreement. Under that scenario, the Nuggets would be able to "franchise" Anthony and keep him in Denver.

Photos: Carmelo Anthony's career

Stay in Denver? Go to N.Y. or L.A.? As MeloDrama plays out, enjoy photos of
a star's career: Carmelo Anthony

The likeliest outcome, however, remains that Denver will trade Anthony before Feb. 24, and one source said the club will likely pull the trigger a week or so before the deadline.

It is believed that the Lakers have not yet made an offer for Anthony but that the two clubs have merely had discussions.

Los Angeles has long viewed Bynum as a building block and potential star, but a series of knee injuries throughout his six-year career has frustrated the Lakers to the point that one source said the club would consider moving him. Bynum missed the first 24 games of this season while recovering from offseason knee surgery and also missed a game last week with a bruised knee.

Pau Gasol starts at center in Bynum's absence, with Odom moving to power forward, and the Lakers' record of 18-7 without Bynum this season is better than their record with him (18-9).

The Nuggets like Bynum's immense upside and believe that, at 23 years old, he can overcome his health issues. They understand it would be a risk, though, and are not entirely certain they would trade for him, one source said.

While Bynum is clearly a health risk, acquiring him is not a huge financial risk for Denver, considering his great potential. Bynum has two years and $31 million left on his contract, but the final year is a team option for $16.5 million. If Bynum experiences another injury next season, the Nuggets could decide not to pick up the option and thus be on the hook for just the $15.1 million he's due next season.

Bynum is averaging 11.3 points and 7.4 rebounds per game in 27 games this season. In five full seasons with Los Angeles, Bynum has averaged only 56 games per season due to injuries.

Anthony is coming off a 50-point, 11-rebound outing Monday, but the Nuggets lost to the Rockets.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

Back to top Go down

Sources: Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets have initial Carmelo Anthony talks  Empty Re: Sources: Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets have initial Carmelo Anthony talks

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 pm

It's still early in the talks, but this potential deal could sure change the landscape out west.

If all they had to part with of any consequence was Bynum, sliding Gasol to center and inserting Odom at power forward would make sense. Put those two on the floor with Bryant, Carmelo and D Fish, bring Artest into the mix off the bench; not the best defense, but far from the worst. With the offense they could generate it wouldn't matter so much anyway.

The Spurs would have their hands full. So would everyone else.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Sources: Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets have initial Carmelo Anthony talks  Empty Re: Sources: Los Angeles Lakers, Denver Nuggets have initial Carmelo Anthony talks

Post by Sam Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:50 pm

I love that deal! Leave the Lakers with no legitimate center and weakened defense and rebounding. I'm dying to see Ron's rejuvenated persona as a bench player. Move Odom to the starting lineup, where he is admittedly sometimes more effective but leaves the Lakers with no big man on the bench to guard the Celtics' bench center of the day and Glen Davis at PF. Love the exquisite symmetry of the imbalance.

Pluses: more consistent offense and possibly a little better performance from Odom

Minuses: Dropoff on defense and rebounding plus an unbalanced bench with no proven big men and very probably a key malcontent plus iron man minutes for an already overworked Pau and maybe even Odom.

I've heard that Paul Pierce is spending six hours a day in church, praying for this trade to happen. Oh, and there are Perk and Glen Davis kneeling with him. Matchup heaven is at hand.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm

I HOPE they make this trade. Bynum scares me in relation to the Celtics, Anthony not. We'll eat them inside in a 7 game series.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm

There is no chance LA does a Bynum for Anthony straight up trade. The salaries couldn't work out but if Nene was involved, then LA would probably make that trade. It looks like Denver leaked this story to up the ante for the Knicks. It would be foolishness to have Anthony, Artest, Barnes and Ebanks at SF and Gasol/Caracter at center. Ratliffe is not back yet and Joe Smith won't even be on the postseason roster. Who plays if Gasol or Odom are in foul trouble?

I believe LA would trade for Anthony if they could swing another trade which would bring back a center for Artest. I would love to see LA go after McGee and Hinrich from Washington.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:54 pm

I'm not a Lakers fan or expert on their team but I would seriously look at it. They may end up needing to find a way to match up better against San Antonio to make it back to the finals and the potential new lineup might do the trick.

The chance to put Bryant, Anthony and Gasol on the floor is too much potential offense to pass on. Possibly the best 1-2-3 scoring punch in years. If Bryant has been slowed by the knee at all Carmelo takes pressure off of him on the scoring end.

Anthony isn't a great defender but Gasol is better than he's generally given credit for, Odom can get the job done as can Artest. If Bryant isn't being asked to carry such a big load on offense he might have the energy on D his knee isn't affording him now. Fish is still a matador.

I think the matchup problems the lineup presents on offense is worth the risk. You still win games by getting the ball in the hoop more times than your opponent and this would be a high-scoring bunch. Sometimes the best offense is the best offense (and not a great defense). Sometimes offense wins ball games and that would certainly be the approach. If I heard the broadcast correctly the contracts for Bynum and Carmelo are close enough that not that much more needs to be thrown in.

I don't think it leaves the Lakers thiner overall to the point they should reject it and Artest would work well as a guy who could come in and defend a couple of positions very well. For a serious shot at another ring and the chance to be part of the team that might eventually catch us for total championships I bet Artest would do it without flinching.

If a third team is involved and LA gets a shot at anyone average to decent as an added center or power forward they look awfully good to me. Either way it might be much better for LA than standing pat against some western teams that might be strengthening. They can figure out what to do with us or whoever comes out of the east once they get to the championship series, but first they must get there.

An added bonus for the rest of the league, we wouldn't have to hear all the talk about Miami any more.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:16 am

Was this deal reported on the Onion Sports Dome?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:50 am

ESPN LA

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:40 am

The inmates are running the assylum. Free Agency will be the ruination of pro sports. The ideal is to build a pro team via the draft and trades initiated by management for the sole purpose of improving its' product on the court or field. Trades should not be leveraged by spoiled super stars just chasing a ring or the allmighty dollar. Athletes have lost sight of the fact that it is a priveledge to play pro sports for a living and that owners provide them a generous forum in which to show their talents and God-given ability. When travesties happen like what Lebron did to Cleveland, and what "Melo is about to do to Denver, it upsets the balance of power and shakes the system that seeks to create a level playing field for all fans of every franchise. Fans of teams in small markets must not feel disenfranchised like their team has no chance. The classic example of arrogance is best seen when Abdul-Jabbar very haughtily announced in 1975 that Milwaukee was not up to his cultural standards and he thus wished to be traded to LA. Kareem was revered in Milwaukee and he trashed the fans without a second thought. LA is on the verge of landing one of the premier stars of the NBA. Danny can't seem to figure a way to get James Posey. That's another issue entirely. The Florida Marlins, Minnesota Twins, Golden State Warriors ('75 NBA Title) are few and far between. The NFL has seemingly not been held hostage by the greedy self serving athletes like the NBA, MLB & NHL have been-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:53 am

Sorry, I forgot to bring my Outside-to-English translator.

"Was this deal reported on the Onion Sports Dome?"

Translation:

"Are you actually taking this seriously?"
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 am

Outside wrote:Sorry, I forgot to bring my Outside-to-English translator.

"Was this deal reported on the Onion Sports Dome?"

Translation:

"Are you actually taking this seriously?"

LOL.....great show BTW.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:12 pm

The Onion - my favorite and most trustworthy source for news
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down