TRADE CHATTER 2/24

2 posters

Go down

TRADE CHATTER 2/24 Empty TRADE CHATTER 2/24

Post by 112288 Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:46 am

Buyout addition, rather than trade, looking more likely

Jay King | at 7:48 am | 2 Comments

The Boston Celtics have been very active in trade discussions the past few days, but could wait until after the trade deadline to add a player whose contract gets bought out. (Boston Herald)

The club is still seeking help on the wing, and as the cell phone traffic eased last night, it was looking more and more likely that the C’s will get their man after today’s NBA trade deadline when players who don’t get dealt are bought out.

Sources say its quite possible an acquisition will come from a group that includes Jason Kapono, Sasha Pavlovic, Rasual Butler and Morris Peterson. But if those players are indeed in line for a buyout, it’s also true their current teams will be looking to include them in deals before it gets to that.

The garbage heap beckons, which reminds me: the Celtics roster really doesn’t need much improvement. Maybe it’d be nice to have an extra big man, but Shaq (and maybe even Jermaine O’Neal) will return to health at some point. It’d definitely be nice to add another backup small forward, but Von Wafer has really stepped up his game and — hey, who knows? — maybe Marquis Daniels will even come back at some point. Delonte West adds versatility, and takes pressure off Nate Robinson (who certainly needed some sort of pressure reliever, and maybe a sports shrink too).

But if the C’s added Kapono, Pavlovic, Butler or Peterson, would any of them become part of the rotation? Seriously. Kapono can shoot the lights out, but he’s a God awful defender. Pavlovic, to be nice, is absolutely, 100% miserable at basketball. Peterson’s a lot more like 2010 Michael Finley than I’d like him to be. And Butler, though solid through most of his career, is shooting 32.1% (that’s not a typo) this season. Are any of those players, despite their ability to naturally play small forward, an upgrade over Von Wafer? No, no, no and no.

The Celtics don’t need much help, but they wouldn’t get ANY from the candidates the Boston Herald is talking about. One name to keep an eye on? Shane Battier. Chris Mannix and A. Sherrod Blakely reported that Battier to Boston isn’t happening, but recent reports hint that Houston may have lowered its demands for Battier. (Memphis Commercial Appeal)

The Grizzlies had serious discussions Wednesday with the Houston Rockets regarding a proposed deal that would swap second-year center Hasheem Thabeet for forward Shane Battier.

A deal would hinge on Memphis’ willingness to also include a future first-round draft pick in its bid to reunite with Battier. The Griz failed in their initial attempt to acquire Battier earlier this year and may try to enlist a third team to avoid sending the Rockets a pick.

A Thabeet-for-Battier trade doesn’t work straight up, so salary filler would have to be involved (Hamed Haddadi, anyone?). But that’s not my point. My point is: Semih Erden’s a more valuable trade chip than Thabeet, right? Or am I wrong here?

In the words of Zach Lowe, “It is impossible to exaggerate how awful Hasheem Thabeet has been in the NBA.” He has done literally nothing during his NBA career, nor has he shown any skill (besides height and length, which don’t count as skills) that could make him a legitimate NBA player in the future. That’s not opinion. That’s fact, unless you look at draft busts through the twisted eyes of David Kahn.

Meanwhile, Erden has shown some promise during his limited time. He hasn’t always produced at a phenomenal rate, but he has skills and basketball know-how Thabeet couldn’t even dream of. If the Rockets truly were serious about sending Battier away for Thabeet, wouldn’t a package including Semih Erden make Boston a better location? Or am I looking at Erden, a 24-year old rookie who still hasn’t accomplished anything of note in his NBA career, with homer goggles?

Of course, Kendrick Perkins’ injury makes Erden less expendable than ever. So maybe the C’s pass on Battier, even if he’s available. Ahh, who knows? Trade season gives me a headache.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Suns’ Jared Dudley a target, but unlikely

Jay King | February 24, 2011 at 10:37 am | 0 Comments

The Celtics have “dangled Nate Robinson and a first-round pick” in hopes of luring Jared Dudley to Boston, reports Adrian Wojnarowski. But, in Wojnarowski’s words, it “isn’t the most appealing package on market to get a talented perimeter player.”

What, you mean Phoenix isn’t intrigued by the combination of a 5’9 player who’s been mostly awful this season and one of the last first-round picks in a weak draft?

Boston, Chicago and several more would love to pry Jared Dudley out of Phoenix, sources say. Suns can’t dump Childress deal, need money off.

Dudley is a popular player in Phoenix, beloved by organization. Several GM’s are dubious Suns would part with him. Need an excellent offer.

Celtics have dangled Nate Robinson and 1st round pick, which isn’t the most appealing package on market to get a talented perimeter player.

To be clear on Celts, I’m told they haven’t checked on Dudley very recently. No sense Suns will move him, but he has great value to teams.

Would Dudley fit well in Boston? Let’s go to the check list.

Good shooter? Check.

Consistent player? Check.

Tough defender? Check.

Selfless team player? Check.

Natural small forward? Check.

There’s only one problem trading for Dudley would present — his contract extends until 2014-’15, with a player option for 2015-’16. Other than that, he’s almost perfect. Except for the simple fact that, well, it’s unlikely the Celtics have enough to entice the Suns to let Dudley go. The Arizona Republic’s Paul Coro even reported the Suns “went into Wednesday night thinking there was no chance they would make a deal.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Report: Jared Dudley won’t be dealt

Jay King | February 24, 2011 at 1:02 pm | 0 Comments

Dudley.

Jared Dudley will not be traded from the Phoenix Suns, according to David Aldridge. (NBA.com)

A team source tells TNT’s David Aldridge that the Phoenix Suns will not trade forward Jared Dudley before today’s deadline. Several teams gave been trying to get Dudley, including the Celtics and Rockets.

I guess that leaves Boston out of the running, eh?

But, hey! The Celtics would be interested in signing Jason Kapono if (and when?) he receives a buyout. Even though Kapono can’t even crack the rotation in Philly, shooters will always draw interest.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Celtics looking to ship Daniels for Cavs’ Parker?

Jay King | at 11:33 am | 4 Comments

11:50 A.M. – Update, via Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal: “One offer on table: AP to Celts for Marquis Daniels. Cavs would buy him out, send him back to Bos. But Cavs want Bos #1 [draft pick] next yr for helping.”

The Boston Celtics could be looking to send Marquis Daniels to Cleveland in exchange for Anthony Parker. (Ken Berger, CBS Sports)

Not having much luck dangling Nate Robinson and pick for wing upgrade, Celtics now trying to use Marquis Daniels’ contract, sources say.

Daniels, out with a neck injury, could be bought out by Cavs with cash from Celtcs in a deal for Anthony Parker, sources say.

Do you know how I know I’m not sold on Anthony Parker? When I think about the Celtics trading for him, I inevitably find myself back at, “Maybe the C’s are better off just sticking with Von Wafer.”

Parker’s okay, though. And he’s got more size than Wafer. And he’s a good three-point shooter. And he’s smart. And he knows his role. And I’m trying to talk myself into Parker — I mean, I’m REALLY trying here — but it’s just not working. Anthony Parker does nothing to whet my interest, even if he’s really not bad, pretty intelligent and might even provide (probably even provides?) an upgrade.

I’m still praying for Battier or Dudley, or a similar difference-maker, but when your best trade pieces are A) a mostly-awful, 5’9″ point guard who isn’t really a point guard, B) an injured player with a $2.5 million expiring contract and a pre-existing spinal cord condition, C) a terrible first-round pick in an awfully thin draft, and D) a 24-year old Turkish rookie with an 11.19 PER, finding a truly quality piece takes a miracle.

Say your prayers with me, folks. Danny Ainge could use them.

Back to top Go down

TRADE CHATTER 2/24 Empty Re: TRADE CHATTER 2/24

Post by Sam Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:48 pm

It's sounding as though the Celtic have one remaining trade possibility, and it's certainly not definite. Daniels and a draft pick for Parker. I wouldn't be shocked if the nature of the pick were the holdup. Cleveland wants this year's first rounder, and Ii bet the Celts are trying to make it their second-rounder. Although Danny seems to do better on second-rounders than first-rounders. lol.

We'll see.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down