David14
gacracker
beat
gyso
NYCelt
Sam
11 posters

Go down

Who will become #16 on the 15-man roster? (Alphabetically listed)

Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_lcap6%Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_lcap0%Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_lcap12%Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]
Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_lcap0%Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_lcap59%Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 10 ]
Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_lcap18%Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 3 ]
Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_lcap5%Who Draws the Short Straw? Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 17

Who Draws the Short Straw? Empty Who Draws the Short Straw?

Post by Sam Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:34 am

Which player will become the 16th player on a 15-player squad?

I have to vote for Walker because I think Sweetney offers a specific specialty that could come in handy, especially if he can lose some weight and become a little more mobile on defense. In my mind, Walker doesn't offer anything special except a dunk a game, and I can definitely live without that.

Last edited by Sam on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Who Draws the Short Straw? Empty Re: Who Draws the Short Straw?

Post by NYCelt Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:51 am

I have to go with Sweetney.

He can play and quality bigs are at a premium but conditioning counts.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:55 am

I voted Sweetney because that is who I think it will be, not who I want it to be. I don't think Sweetney is ready for prime time, weight and all. He needs to show a little effort on his side before the team is willing to commit to him, even for one year.

My real preference is Tony. He is the kind of player that forgets things. As in, "If he didn't do it today, he will forget how to do it tomorrow." If he doesn't get consistent playing time, he looks lost and will cost us games. He is redundant now, Walker or JR should get the PT now.

In order to release him, the Celtics would have to eat a $2.5mil contract. That number is less than $3.0mil, so the Celtics may be able to sell his contract for cash. I think I remember something about that from earlier this summer.

I am too lazy right now to look it up. I may do a little research this weekend to confirm my suspicions.

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:00 pm

I voted for the Walker.
I think the sweet ones potential is greater I did not take into account anything to do with money or contracts.

Realistically Sweetney will get cut as the management will not eat any $ this deep in the bench with players whom will not contribute much at all.

beat

Last edited by beat on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:47 pm

How about that 15 foot step away bank shot that Sweets made in the last game. He needs to lose 40 pounds to have the stamina to play even bench minutes. Got to love the potential... but no, Sweets goes on a fat boy vacation.

Put him on a deserted island with three month supply of nutrisystems meals, coconuts way up the tree and a basketball court. Visit him in 90 days for a weigh in and go from there. If he is serious about a pro bb career, he will do a Don Shula and get in shape... pronto.

Longshot!
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:03 am

Hudson for now. I think he needs some seasoning and sitting on the bench will not expose him to NBA type competition. Like Giddens last year, Doc will give hudson a chance to work on his skills.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:04 am

gacracker wrote:How about that 15 foot step away bank shot that Sweets made in the last game. He needs to lose 40 pounds to have the stamina to play even bench minutes. Got to love the potential... but no, Sweets goes on a fat boy vacation.

Put him on a deserted island with three month supply of nutrisystems meals, coconuts way up the tree and a basketball court. Visit him in 90 days for a weigh in and go from there. If he is serious about a pro bb career, he will do a Don Shula and get in shape... pronto.

Longshot!

Does he get Ginger or MaryAnn on that island with him.

I've met MaryAnn (Dawn Wells), and she is still absolutely beautiful.

Still, I'd vote Ginger.

Sweetney would be slimmed down and in a Celtic uniform in no time!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:05 am

What no Mrs. Howell?
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Who Draws the Short Straw? Empty RE: Who Drews the Short Straw

Post by David14 Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:52 am

I voted for Walker for pretty much the same reason that Sam chose Walker. At this point the Celtics don't have a back up for Perk. Given the fact that Howard and Shaq are in the East, not to mention what Lopez did to Perk, I believe the Celtics can use the back up bulk. I would hate to see KG "test" his knee while attempting to play center. In addition, Sheed would appear to be out or place in the middle, and Williams does not look like a back up center solution. Sweetney has some good offensive moves and some needed bulk.

Hopefully, Tony Allen can return to his pre-injury days. With Quis, KG, Sheed, PP, TA, Williams, and Scal it appears Walker is more disposable than Sweet.

Last edited by David14 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Revise Subject)
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:58 am

beat wrote:What no Mrs. Howell?

beat,

Somehow that dream I was likely to have tonight just changed!

You'll have to fill me in on Midnight Madness at The Dome sometime.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:46 am

Hi everyone!!
Well, I voted for Allen, but that was just wishful thinking. I am so tired of hearing about his talent, what he can do defensively, how he can go to the basket, etc. Everytime he starts showing any signs of returned to what they call "form", he gets hurt again. However, after I thought about it, there is no way they are going to eat his 2.5 million dollar contract. So I guess Sweetney is the one. They have put time and effort into Walker to just let him go.

Now, let me understand this. Is this a question as to who will be cut or who will go on the unable to play list? Do they have "injured" lists, unactivated guys who are rehabbing ?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:01 am

Welcome aboard Rosalie

I voted for Walker but your choice of TA would get no arguement from me. He had a bad injury but has had a big chance to heal and move on. Just seems a bit out of step with what his body and mind are doing. Neither seems to be in tune with the other.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:12 am

NYCelt wrote:
gacracker wrote:How about that 15 foot step away bank shot that Sweets made in the last game. He needs to lose 40 pounds to have the stamina to play even bench minutes. Got to love the potential... but no, Sweets goes on a fat boy vacation.

Longshot!

Does he get Ginger or MaryAnn on that island with him.

I've met MaryAnn (Dawn Wells), and she is still absolutely beautiful.

Still, I'd vote Ginger.

Sweetney would be slimmed down and in a Celtic uniform in no time!

Regards

I was thinking deserted deserted, not semi deserted.

Which ever of the two or three (Mrs. Howell) is the more fleet afoot or has the better tree climbing skills or is the poorer cook, leave her.

And David suggests that Sweets has some needed bulk at 5! I'll say he does... and some.

gc
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:29 pm

gc, one of my concerns for the upcoming Celtic season is a back-up for Perk. It would be crazy to test KG's knees by allowing him to step in and attempt to guard the bulkier centers such as Shaq, Howard, Bynum, etc. In addition, Sam hit the nail on the head when commenting about Sheed's rebounding deficiencies. Sheed does not match up with Shaq or Howard. Baby is not the solution, nor is Williams. They have very little chance to becoming an effective back-up center for Perk.

Not only do the C's have to be concerned about Perk's shoulders, they have to be concerned about his prorpensity for quick foul trouble. Let's face it #15 is not going to get much playing time. That spot will either be the one with the "infamous" IR injury and/or the one of the end of the bench playing cheerleader with DNP stamped on his head. Therefore, why not use the 15th position for an insurance policy and for something productive instead of, as we found with Gabe P., a year of non-playing until he moves on the following year!! I realize he is not in playing shape in October, however the end of April is a long way off. Why not sign him to an incentive contract to lose weight, get in shape, and be a productive back-up for the late season/playoff games.
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Sam wrote:Which player will become the 16th player on a 15-player squad?

I have to vote for Walker because I think Sweetney offers a specific specialty that could come in handy, especially if he can lose some weight and become a little more mobile on defense. In my mind, Walker doesn't offer anything special except a dunk a game, and I can definitely live without that.

Hi Sam,

For me it is tough to conjecture about the young ones as I don't watch closely enough, but it is fun to do. I agree Walker has not shown much beyond the highlight dunk, but I'd like to keep him because of his attitude. In preseason last year I think he had little beefs with both Kobe and McGrady and I like that don't back down attitude.
bobc33
bobc33

Back to top Go down

Post by gacracker Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:27 pm

David14 wrote:gc, one of my concerns for the upcoming Celtic season is a back-up for Perk. It would be crazy to test KG's knees by allowing him to step in and attempt to guard the bulkier centers such as Shaq, Howard, Bynum, etc. In addition, Sam hit the nail on the head when commenting about Sheed's rebounding deficiencies. Sheed does not match up with Shaq or Howard. Baby is not the solution, nor is Williams. They have very little chance to becoming an effective back-up center for Perk.

Not only do the C's have to be concerned about Perk's shoulders, they have to be concerned about his prorpensity for quick foul trouble. Let's face it #15 is not going to get much playing time. That spot will either be the one with the "infamous" IR injury and/or the one of the end of the bench playing cheerleader with DNP stamped on his head. Therefore, why not use the 15th position for an insurance policy and for something productive instead of, as we found with Gabe P., a year of non-playing until he moves on the following year!! I realize he is not in playing shape in October, however the end of April is a long way off. Why not sign him to an incentive contract to lose weight, get in shape, and be a productive back-up for the late season/playoff games.

David:
I would need to know more about his medical condition, i.e. his eating disorder, before I would be willing to offer a contract.

You are preaching to the choir in a lot of way. I love this kids potential and minus 40 pounds I would sign him in a heartbeat to fill exactly the role you laid out. He has all of the incentives in the world to come into camp in shape but has not done so.

He knows what's at stake. He isn't stupid. And I am sure that DA is thinking along these very lines but is pragmatic enough to watch and wait to see how Sweets responds to training camp and preseason pressures.

Its quite a feel good story but I suspect that as Ole Dizzy Dean used to say, "Partner, there are two chances that this is going to work out.... slim and none!"

Any idea how long since he's been in playing shape? When was the last time Sweets was able to control his weight? What strategies has he tried to lose and maintain his weight? Has he lost weight since he has been in camp? Has he gained weight?

I suspect that when stressed and feeling pressure, being under the gun, he may actually gain weight. Normal incentives may be ineffective. A good psychiatric eval may be in order.

My two cents....

gc
gacracker
gacracker

Back to top Go down

Post by David14 Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:48 pm

gc, you are probably right, the experiment may be a "pipe dream". He really does look out of shape. However, it still surprises me that the Celtics did not bring in another potential back up to Perk. Although, since the fifteenth guy on the roster usually gets fewer minutes than the ball and towels boys, and Walker and Tony Allen are so similar, it may be worth trying!!

Good points.

David
David14
David14

Back to top Go down

Post by LilRip Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:29 am

mmm, it's official. Sweetney has been waived.
LilRip
LilRip

Back to top Go down

Post by BanglaCeltFan Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:07 am

Perhaps those knowledgeable about the rules could fill me in: Is there any other means by which the organization can hold on to him in some other non-playing capacity for a few months?

BanglaCeltFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:41 am

Maybe they could hire him as a conditioning coach.

More seriously, he seemed like a good soldier and gave it a great try. I still wish they had opted to keep his body, hope for a major weight reduction, and eat either Tony's or Walker's salary.

Just think of Sweetney vs. Shaq on the floor. Sumo City. Hey hey hey!!!!

I understand why they did what they did, and it was always probably a foregone conclusions. But I certainly wish him well.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down