willjr
8 posters

Go down

Defense No Longer Celtics' Identity Empty Defense No Longer Celtics' Identity

Post by 112288 Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:48 am

Defense no longer Celtics' identity

By A. Sherrod Blakely
CSNNE.com

HOUSTON — When you look at all the changes the Boston Celtics have made lately, it's clear that they have added more weapons offensively.

But at what cost?

The Celtics are still one of the NBA's upper echelon teams defensively, even with all the new faces.

But as far as defense remaining this team's identity?

The more you watch them play, the more this point becomes debatable.

You can add one more reason to question this team's foundation being about defense, following Friday night's 93-77 loss at Houston.

Houston only shot 43.8 percent from the field, and scored less than 100 points - the kind of defensive benchmarks you would ideally like to see every game.

But what's lost in the numbers, is how that defense was impacted by the Celtics offense not getting off to a good start.

Houston opened the game with an 8-1 spurt, fueled in large part by the Celtics' inability to make shots that on most nights, usually fall in.

Those missed shots seemed to result in some frustration that eventually seeped into the team's defensive efforts.

And just like that, the Celtics found themselves on the short end of a potential blowout - before halftime.

"We showed them seven, point-blank shots at the basket (at halftime) that didn't go in," Rivers said. "I thought we got a little frustrated because we were missing shots."

Rivers added, "that's uncharacteristic of us. But I definitely thought our offense led to our bad defense."

That is a damning commentary when you consider how much stock the Celtics put into being a stout, gritty defensive-minded team.

"Even though we missed shots, we missed lay-ups, that should never discourage us of how we play night-in and night-out on the defensive end," said Paul Pierce. "We got our work cut out for us if we want to retain home court (throughout the Eastern Conference playoffs), if we want to be on top of the East. We have to wake up inside if we're going to consistently play the type of Celtics defense that got us this record."

Kevin Garnett is the anchor of the Celtics defense, which has been among the NBA's best ever since Garnett and Ray Allen joined forces with Paul Pierce to form the Big Three in 2007.

And as much as Garnett prides himself and his teammates in putting defense first, he can't say with any degree of certainty whether or not the C's allowed their offensive woes early on against the Rockets impact their play at the other end of the floor.

"I want to say no, because we're a defensive team and we can't let offense dictate defense," Garnett said. "But it certainly seemed that way. They got into an early rhythm and it was hard to turn them off."

Back to top Go down

Defense No Longer Celtics' Identity Empty Re: Defense No Longer Celtics' Identity

Post by willjr Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:38 pm

Way back in 1979 Seattle Supersonics small forward John Johnson was asked about his teams approach to defense as they were throttling the Washington Bullets in the NBA finals. Johnson, Jack Sikma, Paul Silas and Lonnie Shelton shut down the high scoring frontline of the Bullets, which featured Elvin Hayes, Bobby Dandridge, Mitch Kupchak, Greg Ballard and to a lesser extent (scoring wise) Wes Unseld. Johnson summed it up thusly, "we know that offense is like the weather it comes and goes, defense is constant". I think that someone should read the celts that quote and its deeper meaning, which can be interpreted to mean that don't let your offensive (mis)fortunes affect your defense, where there should always be a consistent and constant effort.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Defense No Longer Celtics' Identity Empty Re: Defense No Longer Celtics' Identity

Post by 112288 Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Will,

That was great post! You betcha!

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Hard to make that statement given Perk only played in a few games this season and Shaq has been out since the dawn of time.

Once Shaq returns, it will be Hackin' Shaq, not Hack-a-Shaq. We will need him for 6 hard fouls down the middle and the occasional 10 points/8 rebounds from RR assists. Defense will become a beautiful word again.

I wouldn't mind Krstic administering a hard foul every once in a while instead of all the pansy fouls he gets now for barely touching someone.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:54 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Hard to make that statement given Perk only played in a few games this season and Shaq has been out since the dawn of time.

Once Shaq returns, it will be Hackin' Shaq, not Hack-a-Shaq. We will need him for 6 hard fouls down the middle and the occasional 10 points/8 rebounds from RR assists. Defense will become a beautiful word again.

I wouldn't mind Krstic administering a hard foul every once in a while instead of all the pansy fouls he gets now for barely touching someone.

Agree

So what team has A. Sherrod Blakely been watching since October?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Oh and btw, we're still 1st in the East. 2nd overall only to freakish SAS who's going to meet their maker in LA, if not sooner.

This was Blakley. Broussard just said the obvious about their up and down play as of late.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Celtics showed, both in New Orleans and NYC last night - that when they need to dig down deep and come up with stops down the stretch - THEY DO.

Blakley is a Pistons writer in Celtics clothing. Not impressed with him or Donnie Marshall.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:33 pm

I think the last couple of games have addressed the question about whether the Celtics are still a "defense first" team.

We have given up an average of just over 82 points/game for the past 7 games.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:57 pm

Whereas their season-long defensive average before The Trade was 91.0 PPG (or 9 points higher). I wonder what will happen when the new guys actually get a firm grasp on the defensive system and hopefully a little more adroitness in playing good "D." To say nothing of a possible Shaq sighting (although I believe he'll mean more on offense than defense, except maybe for blocking out on the defensive boards).

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:47 pm

bobheckler wrote:I think the last couple of games have addressed the question about whether the Celtics are still a "defense first" team.

We have given up an average of just over 82 points/game for the past 7 games.

bob

Bob,

Interesting and telling number.

Perhaps the one or two reporters who feel that D is no longer our game have fallen prey to a case of perception becoming their reality.

Catching the games on the DirecTV package as I do I get to hear the announcers for several of our opponents (although I consider it cruel torture when it's not Comcast with Mike and Tommy). On several occasions since our roster changes, away opponent's broadcast teams have brought up how our defense has not been weakened at all. Last night Walt Frazier said he thought our D was actually better with the new roster.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down