HAPPY PATRIOTS DAY

3 posters

Go down

HAPPY PATRIOTS DAY Empty HAPPY PATRIOTS DAY

Post by 112288 Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:05 am

It is Patriots Day................That means the Boston Marathon & The Boston Red Sox...............and the Celtics & the NBA Playoffs!!!!!!!!!!

GOD BLESS THE PATRIOTS WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES TO START THIS WONDERFUL NATION "THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"!

Back to top Go down

HAPPY PATRIOTS DAY Empty Re: HAPPY PATRIOTS DAY

Post by Sam Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:45 pm

For many Greater Bostonians, Patriots Day is far more than just a holiday. Because Patriots Day tends to touch Bostonians very personally. In fact, Patriots Day in Greater Boston is akin to an audience participation show.

I grew up in the Town of Arlington, about seven miles west of Boston. Arlington was originally called "Menotomy," and the Jason Russell House in Arlington Center still bears bullet holes from the Revolution.

Every April 19th (back in the days before historical authenticity took a back seat to Monday holidays), Massachusetts Avenue would be thronged with Arlingtonians from the Cambridge to Lexington borders. Around 11:00 (give or take an hour, presumably depending on how many pubs he had visited along the way), Paul Revere would ride through town, ironically picking his way between the trolley tracks. Everyone would go wild. Although there were some close calls, I never saw Paul fall off his horse once.

As the years passed and I moved around the Boston Area, Patriots Day took on added meaning in the forms of the Red Sox and the Marathon. For years, my best friend and I would get to Fenway Park as soon as it was open for the morning game. As the game progressed, we could hear the noise from the crowd lined up in Kenmore Square to see the Marathon. We would never leave a Red Sox game before the final out (I even kept track of the number of pitches on my scorecard), so we usually got down to Kenmore Square too late to see the leading runners pass. But it was such a great experience to encourage the runners and to cheer for such old-timers as both Johnny Kelleys. And, of course, we'd finish off the experience in an adult beverage establishment.

I just got a call from my friend, and we talked about those great days. We don't attempt the game and the Marathon any longer. I have a walking disability, and he's recovering from cancer of the throat.

But one thing we've both learned as we age (we're only months apart) is that, in the final analysis, life is all about the memories you forge. And, from watching old Paul Revere bouncing around on his horse to our "boys' day out" at Fenway and the Marathon, the memories are vibrant and indelible.

Happy Patriots Day, everyone.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:34 pm

And a special Happy Patriots Day to all decertified New England Football players who are now on lockout, or strike as your point of view allows. If the holiday were all about the gridiron gang we could call it New England Patriot's Day!- ENJOY!

MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down