Any bold predictions ( including idiotic or wishfull ) on Celtic draft trades?.

+6
mrkleen09
sinus007
beat
worcester
willjr
swish
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any bold predictions ( including idiotic or wishfull ) on Celtic draft trades?.  Empty Any bold predictions ( including idiotic or wishfull ) on Celtic draft trades?.

Post by swish Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:35 pm

I'll take a shot by predicting that Danny moves up in the draft with Rondo as the chip.
Anyone else got a crystal ball?.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Any bold predictions ( including idiotic or wishfull ) on Celtic draft trades?.  Empty Re: Any bold predictions ( including idiotic or wishfull ) on Celtic draft trades?.

Post by willjr Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:52 pm

While I think that Kyrie Irving and the Derrick Williams are gonna be great players, I think that every other player projected in the first round are all pretty much equal, roll of the dice hit or miss from pick 3 to 30. That being said I would not give up Rondo unless it brought the number 1 or 2 pick in return.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Any bold predictions ( including idiotic or wishfull ) on Celtic draft trades?.  Empty Re: Any bold predictions ( including idiotic or wishfull ) on Celtic draft trades?.

Post by worcester Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Danny has said that Rondo is basically untouchable. Wonder what pick the Clips had. We've got it now I believe.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Worcester, I believe the Clips pick is lottery protected until 2015 or 2017.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Clips had the 8th worst record in the NBA...thus a lottery picker.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:02 pm

too bad...we could use some help now
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Worcester

"2012 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers
The Los Angeles Clippers' own 2012 first round draft pick to Boston via Oklahoma City (top 10 protected in the 2012 draft, top 10 protected in 2013, top 10 protected in 2014, top 10 protected in 2015 and unprotected in the 2016 Draft). In addition, if the Los Angeles Clippers are required to send their 2012 first round pick pursuant to the above and are also entitled to receive Minnesota's own 2012 first round draft, then Boston via Oklahoma City shall receive the lesser of the Los Angeles Clippers' own 2012 first round pick and Minnesota's own 2012 first round pick. [L.A. Clippers -Oklahoma City, 6/24/2010 and then Boston - Oklahoma City, 2/24/2011]"

Hope above answers your question.

swish

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#ixzz1PUlWow8r

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:47 am

far from a sure thing for the Celts
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:12 am

Actually I really wonder if there will be a season at all next year. Seems the lockout will most likely happen IMHO.

I doubt there will be any "big" moves by the C's but you never know.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:31 am

worcester wrote:far from a sure thing for the Celts

Yeah,with the Timberwolves in the picture,its quite uncertain as to when and where they get to pick.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:50 am

beat wrote:Actually I really wonder if there will be a season at all next year. Seems the lockout will most likely happen IMHO.

I doubt there will be any "big" moves by the C's but you never know.

beat

It doesn't look good. Perhaps the best that we can hope for is a short season, but in the meantime, next week I'll enjoy the draft and all the intrique that leads up to it. With Danny around you just never know.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:23 am

Hi,
My "bold" prediction is that there will be no earth shattering pics or trades.
One of the reasons for that is too much uncertainty for the upcoming season.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:24 am

DA would be NUTS to deal Rondo for anyone in this draft. Not one sure fire player in the bunch.

You dont trade franchise centers or point guards.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:47 am

[quote="mrkleen09"]DA would be NUTS to deal Rondo for anyone in this draft. Not one sure fire player in the bunch.

You dont trade franchise centers or point guards.[/quote

He couldn't trade Rondo for "just" a draft pick. He would have to get back a player or players with contracts that value 10mil. or so.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:12 am

Avery Bradley, Jermaine O'Neal and the pick for Dwight Howard Razz
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:37 am

[quote="swish"]
mrkleen09 wrote:DA would be NUTS to deal Rondo for anyone in this draft. Not one sure fire player in the bunch.

He couldn't trade Rondo for "just" a draft pick. He would have to get back a player or players with contracts that value 10mil. or so.

swish

Swish,

Boston would have to trade Rondo for a similar contract only if that team was also over the salary cap.
You don't have to match up salaries if the team under the cap is taking on additional salary.
That happened earlier this year when LA traded Vujacic to NJ for Joe Smith.
Vujacic was making $5.4m and Smith $1.2m.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:56 pm

[quote="tjmakz"]
swish wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:DA would be NUTS to deal Rondo for anyone in this draft. Not one sure fire player in the bunch.

swish

Swish,

Boston would have to trade Rondo for a similar contract only if that team was also over the salary cap.
You don't have to match up salaries if the team under the cap is taking on additional salary.
That happened earlier this year when LA traded Vujacic to NJ for Joe Smith.
Vujacic was making $5.4m and Smith $1.2m.

TJ

Your 100% right about the Joe Smith trade. That trade was made as a result of an exception which allows a team that is over the cap to trade for a player that is making the "Vet Minimum" without matching salaries. Other than that, it is my understanding, that for teams over the cap, the matching salary rules apply.
I'm sure that others may see it differently. When it comes to the Salary Cap I'm always prepared to be corrected.

swish

a

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Some of you may think Danny is nuts, but he is not that nuts. Rondo is going no where. I just wish they could do a sign and trade, but from what I understand, they can't until July 1, or a new contract. Davis is would be gone in a minute.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Swish,
Here is the rule for trades if a team is above or below the salary cap:
As long as a team stays below the salary cap, they can take on as much salary as they want. For a team over the cap, there is only a rule about taking on additional salary.

Teams below the salary cap may trade without regard to salary, as long as they don't end up more than $100,000 above the cap following a trade.

Teams above the cap (or teams below the cap but would end up more than $100,000 over the cap following a trade) cannot acquire more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary they trade away. There is no lower limit—teams may divest themselves of as much salary as they wish in a trade.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:14 pm

tjmakz wrote:Swish,
Here is the rule for trades if a team is above or below the salary cap:
As long as a team stays below the salary cap, they can take on as much salary as they want. For a team over the cap, there is only a rule about taking on additional salary.

Teams below the salary cap may trade without regard to salary, as long as they don't end up more than $100,000 above the cap following a trade.

Teams above the cap (or teams below the cap but would end up more than $100,000 over the cap following a trade) cannot acquire more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary they trade away. There is no lower limit—teams may divest themselves of as much salary as they wish in a trade.

What are the rules regarding trades?
Teams under the salary cap may make trades as they please, as long as they don't end up more than $100,000 above the salary cap following a trade. But if a team is over the cap, or they are under the cap and a trade would take them more than $100,000 over the cap, then an exception is required. An exception is the mechanism that allows a team to make trades or sign free agents and be over the salary cap. Since teams are usually over the salary cap, trades are usually accomplished using exceptions.

Some exceptions are available only for signing free agents, and those exceptions are covered in question number 19. The exceptions available for making trades are as follows:

•The Traded Player exception is the principal means through which most trades are made. It is described in question numbers 71 and 72.
•The Minimum Salary exception can be used for either trades or signing free agents. It allows teams to acquire minimum-salary players. See question number 73 for more information.
•The Disabled Player exception can also be used for either trades or signing free agents. It allows teams to acquire replacements for certain injured players (see question number 19 for more information).
Note that there are sometimes multiple ways to configure the same trade. For example, a minimum-salary player might be acquired using either the Traded Player exception or the minimum salary exception, or a two-for-two trade might also work as two separate one-for-one trades. Teams are allowed to choose the configuration that works best for them. See question number 75 for an example of this.

71. What is the Traded Player exception?
As described in question number 70, exceptions are the mechanisms that allow teams to function above the salary cap. Any trade which results in the team ending up over the salary cap requires an exception. This is true even if the team is moving downward in salary. For example, if the salary cap is $50 million, a team has a team salary of $55 million, and they want to trade a $5 million player for a $4 million player, they still have to use an exception. Even though their team salary would be decreasing by $1 million, the fact that they would still be over the salary cap ($54 million) means that an exception is required.

The Traded Player exception is the primary means used by teams over the cap for completing trades. It allows teams to make trades that leave them over the cap, but it places several restrictions on those trades. Trades using the Traded Player exception are classified into two categories: simultaneous and non-simultaneous. As its name suggests, a simultaneous trade takes place all at once. Teams can acquire up to 125% plus $100,000 of the salaries they are trading in a simultaneous trade. For example, a team trading a $5 million player in a simultaneous trade can receive one or more players whose salary is no more than 125% of $5 million, plus $100,000, or $6.35 million in return.

A non-simultaneous trade may take up to a year to complete, but the team can only trade away one player, and can receive no more than $100,000 more than the salary they trade away. Non-simultaneous trades are described in question number 72

TJ

I'm confused. Are they both saying the same thing?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:15 pm

TJ

Reviewed my sourse. You got it right. When dealing with a team below the salary cap, the matching salary rules may not apply.
swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Swish,

I'm not sure if you've gotten enough of a response here, especially directly related to the way your question was worded. So here goes;

Looking at a relatively weak draft overall, Danny Ainge takes the #25 pick and packages it along with a dual sign-and trade of Glenn Davis and Tiny Gallon from the Red Claws roster.

He deals all three to the Tenessee Titans for the rights to recently drafted QB Jake Locker. The Titans retain Davis and Gallon to bolster their offensive line and swap the #25 pick to the Portland Trail Blazers for cash and future considerations.

Ainge then swaps Rajon Rondo to Sacramento for DeMarcus Cousins.

Jake Locker leads the NBA in assists for the 2011-2012 season without ever crossing half court during a game. Cousins, the recipient of many of those pin-point passes, leads the league in FG % and scoring for '11-'12. Cousins also sets a new You Tube record with most hits on videos highlighting his numerous and spectacular dunks off those court-long passes which turn out to mostly be those court-long alley-oops placed directly over the rim.

That should cover the idiotic part, and it's probably about as accurate as most pre-draft predictions!

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:03 pm

It is hard to predict what the Celtics do at #25. All depends on who has already been taken. I think Boston has to trade for or draft a center. I have heard a lot of good things about Nicoli Vucevic. He might still be there at 25, but I think those chances are slim. I also like Marshon Brooks from Providence (not a center). I've never seen Charles Jenkins from Hofstra play but I heard he could be the steal of the draft. He was not projected to get drafted but is now projected in the mid-second round. Some have said that after Kyrie Irving, his game is very comparable to Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker who both should be top 8 picks.

I expect that there will be many trades and traded draft picks before and during the draft. Probably more activity this year, then any other year.
I wouldn't be surprised if Iguodala, Rudy Gay, Kevin Love, Pau Gasol, Monta Ellis, Chris Kaman among others are traded by the end of Thursday night.

I don't think Minnesota is happy with the #2 pick but they might have to keep it. For traded picks, I could see Cleveland at #4 trading down, Charlotte at 9 trading up and Phoenix at 13 trading up.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:44 pm

tjmakz wrote:It is hard to predict what the Celtics do at #25. All depends on who has already been taken. I think Boston has to trade for or draft a center. I have heard a lot of good things about Nicoli Vucevic. He might still be there at 25, but I think those chances are slim. I also like Marshon Brooks from Providence (not a center). I've never seen Charles Jenkins from Hofstra play but I heard he could be the steal of the draft. He was not projected to get drafted but is now projected in the mid-second round. Some have said that after Kyrie Irving, his game is very comparable to Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker who both should be top 8 picks.

I expect that there will be many trades and traded draft picks before and during the draft. Probably more activity this year, then any other year.
I wouldn't be surprised if Iguodala, Rudy Gay, Kevin Love, Pau Gasol, Monta Ellis, Chris Kaman among others are traded by the end of Thursday night.

I don't think Minnesota is happy with the #2 pick but they might have to keep it. For traded picks, I could see Cleveland at #4 trading down, Charlotte at 9 trading up and Phoenix at 13 trading up.

TJ,

I agree with you that Minnesota is in an odd spot.

I would almost expect they draft and then deal Williams, but it would be tempting to keep him and swap Love. Tough call; Love is a proven commodity yet Williams has the potential to be a monster in this league. Bird in the hand?

As for the C's my money is still on them going with the best available power forward. There are several bound to still be available at #25. Perhaps not superstar potential but a couple that might eventually start. A few decent shooting guards might also be on the table if they want to start thinking about the future. Most centers in this year's crop look pretty "iffy" with at least one of the best needing to adjust from Euro league ball. My guess is the C's find their center for at least the coming year from among the active but inexpensive. There really aren't that many dominant centers in basketball, so a potential committee from some combination of J O'Neal, Krstic (if not in the Ukraine), Murphy and Garnett (who ended last year frequently playing center in a small ball lineup) isn't very bad for a season. Maybe Davis too, maybe no, we'll see.

Interesting that you speculate Pau Gasol is among those that might change jerseys. I guess I haven't paid attention to what's going on out west; what do you think might make that a possible move?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:49 pm

NY Celt,

For Gasol rumors, see my post in the draft thread that Rosalie started today.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next